PDA

View Full Version : Do you want a camera/microphone on the ipod touch, YES or NO?

leomac08
Sep 11, 2009, 06:41 PM
According to some articles, "Steve Jobs says that the reason for the iPod touch not having a camera is simple: People don't want a camera on their iPod touch. They just want a cheaper iPod touch, as a game machine, no cameras involved." (http://gizmodo.com/5355959/steve-jobs-gives-his-reasons-for-lack-of-camera-in-ipod-touch)

I don't know about you guys, but I want a camera on the ipod touch:D

but some people don't want the ipod touch to have one.

Some people or MR members, I've heard, would rather see the ipod touch become a PSP/Nintendo DS game portable.

So I have created a POLL, please vote!:D

iBookG4user
Sep 11, 2009, 06:47 PM
Personally I'd prefer that no mobile phones or portable electronics in general (except cameras and video cameras, obviously.) had cameras. They are never good quality and are finger print magnets, I'd prefer a lower cost than adding a camera. If I want to take a picture I'll take an actual camera.

Beric
Sep 11, 2009, 06:48 PM
We aren't "people". We're Apple geeks.

Night Spring
Sep 11, 2009, 06:48 PM
Great poll! To clarify, I want a still camera, not a video-only camera like on the new nano. I want to be able to take advantage of iPhone apps like the ones where you take pics of book/cd/dvd covers and get a price comparison, or the ones that allow you to take pics of your receipts in lieu of scanning them in, etc, etc. (If I'm going on vacation, I might take along a stand-alone digital camera to take the "real" pics, but that's not why I want a camera on my touch.) And a mic on the headphone just doesn't cut it. There are any number of situations where I want to record sound without having to deal with a cable hanging off my iPod.

Muncher
Sep 11, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'd take battery life over the space needed for a camera, but cameras can be fun. There's more potential in cameras than just taking pictures. Games, cool augmented reality stuff (admittedly far away but still).

leomac08
Sep 11, 2009, 07:02 PM
Personally I'd prefer that no mobile phones or portable electronics in general (except cameras and video cameras, obviously.) had cameras. They are never good quality and are finger print magnets, I'd prefer a lower cost than adding a camera. If I want to take a picture I'll take an actual camera.

Good point. But sometimes I would love to post pictures or videos on youtube, facebook, myspace etc... right on the spot. :rolleyes:

We aren't "people". We're Apple geeks.

Point Taken, "WE APPLE GEEKS......"

Great poll! To clarify, I want a still camera, not a video-only camera like on the new nano. I want to be able to take advantage of iPhone apps like the ones where you take pics of book/cd/dvd covers and get a price comparison, or the ones that allow you to take pics of your receipts in lieu of scanning them in, etc, etc. (If I'm going on vacation, I might take along a stand-alone digital camera to take the "real" pics, but that's not why I want a camera on my touch.) And a mic on the headphone just doesn't cut it. There are any number of situations where I want to record sound without having to deal with a cable hanging off my iPod.

Great Points!

Especially with the microphone, the cables just get annoying!:D

na1577
Sep 11, 2009, 07:05 PM
They are never good quality and are finger print magnets, I'd prefer a lower cost than adding a camera. If I want to take a picture I'll take an actual camera.

Actually the camera in the iPhone 3GS is quite decent. It's a lot better than most cellphone cameras. It won't replace a DSLR, but it could replace a P&S for some people.

DrawnToLife
Sep 11, 2009, 07:06 PM
I want a camera, but that's down on my list.
Internal Mic > Battery > Camera
Mic
-For Shazam(Etc.)
-Don't have to take out headphones to use some apps and Voice Control.
Battery
-Longer life
-More Obvious reasons
Camera
-Good for those random "Take a Picture" Moment.
-Opens up more apps.

leomac08
Sep 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
-Good for those random "Take a Picture" Moment.

+1

this is why i said "sometimes I would love to post pictures or videos on youtube, facebook, myspace etc... right on the spot." :cool:

puffnstuff
Sep 11, 2009, 07:11 PM
Actually the camera in the iPhone 3GS is quite decent. It's a lot better than most cellphone cameras. It won't replace a DSLR, but it could replace a P&S for some people.

^exactly, I take my iPod with me every where. I do not own a cell phone with a camera since I do not use a phone often so I am sick of that argument as to why it should not get one.

I would use the touch camera. If anything it would be better then a p&s since you have wifi and you are able to upload you're videos and pics.

The mic thing would be great too for voice control. I'm not a fan of ear buds and I don't want to be forced to use them for that feature.

DrawnToLife
Sep 11, 2009, 07:12 PM
Mhmm.
It'd only be good if you're like, "I want to take a picture right now, and share it right way." But other than that, a real camera would do the same job, but better. (Unless you feel it's too much weight to drag around and want an all in one type thing. Minus a Phone.)

And yeah. That's why I want to Mic. For Voice Control without the need of headphones.

iBookG4user
Sep 11, 2009, 07:14 PM
Good point. But sometimes I would love to post pictures or videos on youtube, facebook, myspace etc... right on the spot. :rolleyes:

Well, admittedly I'm not that social of a person. But I can't figure out why it would hurt you that much to wait a bit to upload it when you get home.

And also the question you directed to in the poll was one person in general. Since I am stating my personal opinion, it would be tailored to my need for the camera. Which for me the camera actually detracts from the value of the phone, because if you get fingerprints on the camera the value of the phone drops. I'd rather not have to worry about that, since I never use the camera anyway.

You're probably right that it would be good enough for most people. But I take photos professionally and each picture I take is aimed to achieve maximum profit to me. I've never been one to take a picture just for memory's sake, so the camera wouldn't add any value to the device for me.

DavidG328
Sep 11, 2009, 07:18 PM
I would have upgraded from my first gen if they included either of those features. I would LOVE a mic in there, I use my iPod more for music production apps than anything else. That'd be an awesome feature.

Night Spring
Sep 11, 2009, 07:22 PM
because if you get fingerprints on the camera the value of the phone drops.

My partner has an iPhone, and I handle it often, and I've never worried about getting fingerprints on *that* lens. First of all, it's so small, there's no place to get fingerprints on it! And I haven't noticed whether the lens is recessed or something, but in any case, avoiding touching the lens while handling the iPhone just never has been an issue, even though I'm pretty clumsy, if I say so myself. ;)

leomac08
Sep 11, 2009, 07:36 PM
Well, admittedly I'm not that social of a person. But I can't figure out why it would hurt you that much to wait a bit to upload it when you get home.

And also the question you directed to in the poll was one person in general. Since I am stating my personal opinion, it would be tailored to my need for the camera. Which for me the camera actually detracts from the value of the phone, because if you get fingerprints on the camera the value of the phone drops. I'd rather not have to worry about that, since I never use the camera anyway.

Regarding your first question, I have downloaded many pics to myspace and facebook using my ipod touch 1G, and it takes less than a minute, when I upload my pics to my macbook from my kodak, or nikon coolpix, it takes a while...:rolleyes:

About your second point, The poll was directed directly to the consumer. I would guess that a majority of existing ipod touch users would love to see a camera on the ipod touch. When you say detracts the value of the phone, do you mean the camera is defacing the value of the iphone? or do I have this wrong?

iBookG4user
Sep 11, 2009, 08:22 PM
My partner has an iPhone, and I handle it often, and I've never worried about getting fingerprints on *that* lens. First of all, it's so small, there's no place to get fingerprints on it! And I haven't noticed whether the lens is recessed or something, but in any case, avoiding touching the lens while handling the iPhone just never has been an issue, even though I'm pretty clumsy, if I say so myself. ;)

Well, I'm careful with my electronics and I got this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_fox/2861987892/sizes/o/) ugly smudge on my original iPhone.

Regarding your first question, I have downloaded many pics to myspace and facebook using my ipod touch 1G, and it takes less than a minute, when I upload my pics to my macbook from my kodak, or nikon coolpix, it takes a while...:rolleyes:

About your second point, The poll was directed directly to the consumer. I would guess that a majority of existing ipod touch users would love to see a camera on the ipod touch. When you say detracts the value of the phone, do you mean the camera is defacing the value of the iphone? or do I have this wrong?

To address your first paragraph, if you are just uploading one picture to the web on your iPod, then you should only compare that to downloading one picture on your camera. Your comparison is fundamentally wrong, because with your camera, depending on the size of the card you're downloading hundreds of pictures versus just a few that you're uploading on the iPhone.

I say it detracts from the value of the iPod/Phone for me because of this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_fox/2861987892/sizes/o/), which happened to my original iPhone. Now I'm worried whenever I use my phone that I'll get an ugly smudge on the camera like that.

dwu182
Sep 11, 2009, 08:23 PM
D

ucfgrad93
Sep 11, 2009, 08:24 PM
For me it isn't a necessity. I hardly ever use my camera in my iPhone.

synth3tik
Sep 11, 2009, 08:27 PM
I never use the camera on my iPhone because it is just bad, really bad. If Apple put a quality camera in then I would want one. Until then it is just a worthless add-on

leomac08
Sep 11, 2009, 08:50 PM

You're probably right that it would be good enough for most people. But I take photos professionally and each picture I take is aimed to achieve maximum profit to me. I've never been one to take a picture just for memory's sake, so the camera wouldn't add any value to the device for me.

Well, I'm careful with my electronics and I got this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_fox/2861987892/sizes/o/) ugly smudge on my original iPhone.

To address your first paragraph, if you are just uploading one picture to the web on your iPod, then you should only compare that to downloading one picture on your camera. Your comparison is fundamentally wrong, because with your camera, depending on the size of the card you're downloading hundreds of pictures versus just a few that you're uploading on the iPhone.

I say it detracts from the value of the iPod/Phone for me because of this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_fox/2861987892/sizes/o/), which happened to my original iPhone. Now I'm worried whenever I use my phone that I'll get an ugly smudge on the camera like that.

OHHHHH!, i see it. I feel sorry for your iphone btw. The same thing happens with my blackberry curve, (little dust clog the camera screen, and i have to blow on it!).

Well about the first paragraph, you do have a good point, but sometimes I just want to upload one picture, not an entire album. ;)

beater
Sep 11, 2009, 09:00 PM
YES, i would like a camer that does video and still, and you would need the mic for the sound.

Now to add one more item, gps and then the ipod would be a complete item for me. if it could take video and run gps it would be awesome.

just my 2 cents :)

beater.

Night Spring
Sep 11, 2009, 09:04 PM
but sometimes I just want to upload one picture, not an entire album. ;)

Exactly. I don't use FaceBook, but I've emailed pictures to family and friends from my partner's iPhone. You take a picture, and with a few taps, the email is on its way. To email a picture that's on your digital camera, you have to power on your computer, wait for it to boot up, connect the camera to your computer with a usb cable, or take the memory card out of your camera and insert into a slot on your computer, navigate through several layers of folders to find the picture you want to send, open up your email program.... how many steps was that?

As I said before, the iPhone camera would never replace a stand-alone digital camera, especially if you want professional quality pictures, but it is good to be able to take and send spur-of-the-moment pictures just for fun.

Thorbjorn
Sep 11, 2009, 09:20 PM
As a writer, I would LOVE to have both a camera and microphone on the iPod Touch, just for taking notes, quick shots, while I'm out and about. It would be terrifically useful to me. My old Palm PDA quit on me a few months back and I've been holding out waiting to see what Apple was going to roll out this week. Ended up disappointed, bought a refurb 2nd gen yesterday. Still hoping, though...

iBookG4user
Sep 11, 2009, 10:12 PM
OHHHHH!, i see it. I feel sorry for your iphone btw. The same thing happens with my blackberry curve, (little dust clog the camera screen, and i have to blow on it!).

Well about the first paragraph, you do have a good point, but sometimes I just want to upload one picture, not an entire album. ;)

Yeah, that's why dSLR lenses have lens caps, so things like that don't happen!

And you should be able to pick and choose which photos you want to upload to your Mac. You don't have to upload all the photos from the camera at once, just find the ones you want.

WordLife565
Sep 11, 2009, 10:13 PM
no, because I don't need useless ****** cameras.

LazersGoPEWPEW
Sep 11, 2009, 11:12 PM
I would really prefer to have an internal microphone. At present I can't even use a touch to record voice. What's up with that?

fernande-mac
Sep 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
I can think of many other worthy additions before getting the camera.

1) HD video and audio, which implies better CPU and GPU
2) GPS
3) Bigger screen
4) Better battery life
5) Microphone
6) Bluetooth
7) FM transmitter/receiver
8) OLED display
9) External playback controls

Just to name a few...

dukebound85
Sep 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
NO

otherwise I can not bring it into my work

crackbookpro
Sep 12, 2009, 09:44 AM
I do want a camera & mic in the Touch.

I have a funny feeling they did this as a marketing ploy. If you think outside the box a little.... iPod sales have been on the decline as of lately - so, I think Apple, in general, wants those sales to remain steady & furthermore increase. So, they entice the market with a cheap iPod - the new iPod Nano (with a big feature like the video/mic). To make myself go out even more on a limb, I think they want this to be a big hit come the holidays... then release the new Touch w/camera & mic a couple months after. Basically, stirring the pot again after the holiday season - making the iPod buyer want to buy again!

So, to make myself sound even more crazy - they are trying to get you to buy both. Of course, this isn't the case for everyone, but on the whole I think this is what Steve Jobs and the iPod marketing/sales team have strategized.

...the Nano is the iPod that will be the holiday hit this year...that is priority #1 for Apple ;)

Dagless
Sep 12, 2009, 10:16 AM
Steve Jobs says that the reason for the iPod touch not having a camera is simple: People don't want a camera on their iPod touch. They just want a cheaper iPod touch, as a game machine, no cameras involved. (http://gizmodo.com/5355959/steve-jobs-gives-his-reasons-for-lack-of-camera-in-ipod-touch)

That's certainly not true in this house. I bought my mum a 1G iPod Touch years ago and she loves it, but the thought of adding a camera (for stills and video) had her wanting to upgrade. She isn't interested in this as a games platform at all.
And that's the same for all the people I know with iPod Touches. They want multimedia features not paltry little mobile games.
I'm very much into gaming but I don't care at all for the iPod Touch's idea of gaming. The DS and PSP give a much better experience and are better suited to gaming (and also have better games etc).

Normally when Steve stands up on stage and says "X people like this" or "X people buy a product for Y reason" I think "yea... he's right, I know them people!". Really it just sounds like he's covering for the production problem. Of course we want cameras, look at the fallout from the show! And the celebration of the Nanos camera!

broken-chaos
Sep 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
If it were a camera in line with the iPhone 3Gs, then yes, I would be interested. I would emphatically not be interested in a camera like the new nano. I don't carry a camera around and usually avoid cameraphones (though next upgrade I may go for one with a 'good enough' camera for just this reason), but on occasion see something I would like to take a quick snapshot of.

Microphone would likely be mostly unused by me, but if it wasn't obtrusive, I wouldn't mind.

As far as other mentioned features, I'm fine without HD video, bigger screens, and FM transceivers. I use it for watching video during long trips, not on a TV screen. At most the screen could be increased to filling the entire face - I wouldn't want the device itself any larger diagonally. And I just don't listen to FM radio - and use either line-in or a tape deck adapter in cars.

Better battery life? Well, yeah, a bit more battery life is always nice, but it's already more than good enough and there are limits on battery technology that have more-or-less been reached. The device would need to have lower power consuming hardware to get much of a boost - meaning slower, or no speed upgrades (but continued hardware upgrades) over a prolonged period. I mean, I remember my first iPod (20GB 3rd gen) used to get only about 6-7 hours battery. The I-lose-count hours of the 2nd gen touch is great.

HLdan
Sep 12, 2009, 12:24 PM
Wish the OP had given the option for either/or. I don't care to have a camera because to me it's useless but I want a microphone for Skype calls.

mooblie
Sep 12, 2009, 12:49 PM
With respect: rubbish poll.

Without the issue of "at what added cost?", how can ANYONE answer?

Sure we'd all like extra features at little or no extra cost, and no-one wants extra features if the cost* impact is large.

( * Or other impact, like weight, size, battery life, etc.... )

WordLife565
Sep 12, 2009, 12:56 PM
If it were a camera in line with the iPhone 3Gs, then yes, I would be interested. I would emphatically not] be interested in a camera like the new nano. I don't carry a camera around and usually avoid cameraphones (though next upgrade I may go for one with a 'good enough' camera for just this reason), but on occasion see something I would like to take a quick snapshot of.

You do know, if they do include a camera, it won't be any better than camera phone quality...

Night Spring
Sep 12, 2009, 01:09 PM

Sure we'd all like extra features at little or no extra cost, and no-one wants extra features if the cost* impact is large.

Good point. I think I'd be willing to pay up to $50 more for a camera and/or internal mic. A $100 more, and it'd be pushing it -- for that it'd better have a camera *and* a mic and something else, like FM radio/GPS/compass. And I wouldn't mind having it be a little bit thicker, like the iPhone or the first gen touch.

LazersGoPEWPEW
Sep 12, 2009, 01:13 PM

They added a camera and a microphone into the nano which is a smaller device at NO EXTRA COST to the consumer.

iBookG4user
Sep 12, 2009, 01:15 PM
They added a camera and a microphone into the nano which is a smaller device at NO EXTRA COST to the consumer.

They also had a year to find ways to decrease their manufacturing process. They've already lowered the price of the iPod Touch, so it stands to reason that with a camera the price of the iPod Touch would increase.

HLdan
Sep 12, 2009, 01:19 PM

Please, we're talking about Apple, no company is going to offer more features at NO extra cost. Please believe that there were some corners cut in order for that to happen, it's just a marketing ploy by Apple. I remember when I saw Steve say they were offering a camera FREE, my jaw dropped, then he dropped the bomb that the FREE camera was built in to the Nano.

LazersGoPEWPEW
Sep 12, 2009, 01:39 PM
They also had a year to find ways to decrease their manufacturing process. They've already lowered the price of the iPod Touch, so it stands to reason that with a camera the price of the iPod Touch would increase.

They lowered the price of the 8gb 30 dollars. Big whoop. It is essentially unchanged from the 2G 8gb model. That's not a revelation at all. Now if they had a 16gb model at 199 then I'd be a bit impressed. But they didn't do that because it would sabotage the 16gb nano.

macdoofus
Sep 12, 2009, 02:40 PM
macdoofus want very important microphone! camera not necessary but could be fun if added. :apple:

broken-chaos
Sep 12, 2009, 05:24 PM
You do know, if they do include a camera, it won't be any better than camera phone quality...
Yes, I meant that... I avoid cameraphones for different reasons than just quality. I just have minor issues with the whole "How do these two things fit together?!" concept of a camera in a phone...

It's like my avoidance of cameras that play music in any significant fashion - just personal preference.

leomac08
Sep 12, 2009, 06:07 PM
Let's say they put a camera in in early 2010 or Sept 2010.
Any opinions on the quality of camera it would be? megapixels etc.

I think 3.0 MP, or 3.2 MP same as the iphone 3G S, nothing fancy...:cool:

I do want a camera & mic in the Touch.

I have a funny feeling they did this as a marketing ploy. If you think outside the box a little.... iPod sales have been on the decline as of lately - so, I think Apple, in general, wants those sales to remain steady & furthermore increase. So, they entice the market with a cheap iPod - the new iPod Nano (with a big feature like the video/mic). To make myself go out even more on a limb, I think they want this to be a big hit come the holidays... then release the new Touch w/camera & mic a couple months after. Basically, stirring the pot again after the holiday season - making the iPod buyer want to buy again!

So, to make myself sound even more crazy - they are trying to get you to buy both. Of course, this isn't the case for everyone, but on the whole I think this is what Steve Jobs and the iPod marketing/sales team have strategized.

...the Nano is the iPod that will be the holiday hit this year...that is priority #1 for Apple ;)

I have a slight feeling too that this introduction of the new ipod touch is a huge marketing plan from apple (in a way). I Have no doubts the new ipod nano will have increase sales. I wonder if the 4G ipod nano was doing so "BAD!" that apple would add all the cool features to the ipod nano and not the ipod touch. :confused:

If it were a camera in line with the iPhone 3Gs, then yes, I would be interested. I would emphatically not be interested in a camera like the new nano. I don't carry a camera around and usually avoid cameraphones (though next upgrade I may go for one with a 'good enough' camera for just this reason), but on occasion see something I would like to take a quick snapshot of.

Microphone would likely be mostly unused by me, but if it wasn't obtrusive, I wouldn't mind.

As far as other mentioned features, I'm fine without HD video, bigger screens, and FM transceivers. I use it for watching video during long trips, not on a TV screen. At most the screen could be increased to filling the entire face - I wouldn't want the device itself any larger diagonally. And I just don't listen to FM radio - and use either line-in or a tape deck adapter in cars.

Better battery life? Well, yeah, a bit more battery life is always nice, but it's already more than good enough and there are limits on battery technology that have more-or-less been reached. The device would need to have lower power consuming hardware to get much of a boost - meaning slower, or no speed upgrades (but continued hardware upgrades) over a prolonged period. I mean, I remember my first iPod (20GB 3rd gen) used to get only about 6-7 hours battery. The I-lose-count hours of the 2nd gen touch is great.

All of your ideas are great, but I think over time apple will "one-by one" be putting more good stuff, (taking it one step at a time)

Imagine if the ipod touch had all of these hardware updates,

What would consumers expect after that generation?

Wish the OP had given the option for either/or. I don't care to have a camera because to me it's useless but I want a microphone for Skype calls.

Well....... i was thinking, but i said lets keep it 50/50.

The microphone idea is great, it would make making phone calls much easier without the headphone, and microphone cables.

Well... as much as i would think the price of the ipod touch would go up if a camera is added or microphone, I hardly think the price would go up.

The only cons, I would see, is that the 32GB and 64GB would probably be the only ones that would receive another hardware bump with a camera and microphone and not the 8GB.

Prices would probably remain the same.;)

Why would apple increase prices again, when they just lowered the price of the entire ipod line?:rolleyes:

SnowLeopard2008
Sep 12, 2009, 06:14 PM
Where's the "I don't care" option?

I want it, but it doesn't really matter. I take a 3GS-comparable processor and graphics over a camera any day.

leomac08
Sep 12, 2009, 06:40 PM
Where's the "I don't care" option?

I want it, but it doesn't really matter. I take a 3GS-comparable processor and graphics over a camera any day.

You have no option... it's 50/50, u either want it or not:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p lol

TheSpaz
Sep 12, 2009, 07:26 PM
At first I wanted a camera, but now I'm glad that they didn't put a camera in it. If it's just going to be the video camera (like the one in the Nano), then I'll pass.

Still… I bought a 64GB iPod touch anyway. It comes in on Wednesday.

leomac08
Sep 14, 2009, 10:41 AM
At first I wanted a camera, but now I'm glad that they didn't put a camera in it. If it's just going to be the video camera (like the one in the Nano), then I'll pass.

Still… I bought a 64GB iPod touch anyway. It comes in on Wednesday.

Keep us informed of your new adventures with your new ipod touch 64GB:D

and wow! thanks guys!!!! 100 people have voted so far....:D

82 people want camera!:D

18 people don't!:D

Spike1227
Sep 14, 2009, 02:49 PM
Yes, I want a camera on my Touch. Still photos if I only get one choice. Both still and video if I can have them. I keep a basic cell phone for emergencies, but I'm not fond of them. My 1st gen Touch is another matter. I use it for many things. Music, games, podcasts, web, mail, etc., etc. etc. Have a digital camera, but would love one on the Touch so I only had to carry one piece of gear. I was waiting with bated breath for last Wednesday, ready to buy the 3rd gen with cameras. Disappointment! I will now wait a couple of weeks and keep reading rumors. That said, I know I will end up with a 64GB Touch before halloween. The extra capacity alone makes this a good buy for me. I can live without the camera, but I didn't want to have to.

tundotcom
Sep 14, 2009, 03:05 PM
Yes. I don't know how old you guys are, but I'm a 21 year old guy and I don't want to carry a separate device for the sole purpose of taking pictures. For taking pictures with friends while you're hanging out, I don't see why an iPhone quality level phone does not suffice. If I want to take nice pictures, I have my DSLR for that. But obviously I can't carry that around all the time, so having an all in one device is more practical. I would get an iPhone but I don't want to/can't switch to AT&T and I don't want to pay for the data plan. I know many of my friends feel the same way, which is why an iPod touch with a camera would be perfect.

mrcc
Sep 14, 2009, 03:42 PM

So basicaly if ur driving ur car. and a building is on fire. u want to take a picture.. ur going to carry ur digital camera with u ALL the time. I think not. YESSS i want a camera on my ipod touch badly. I have a camera on my cell phone. it takes ok quality. Im happy with the quality cuz where i live it never gets boring.

fernande-mac
Sep 14, 2009, 04:02 PM
For the price of an iPod touch 32 GB or 64 GB you can buy a pocket camera many times better than the one provided by the iPhone 3Gs.

I am too picky with the quality of my images and video to care about integrated cameras in phones or media players. I have always been disappointed with the quality of any picture I ever took with the phone camera.

I don't mind carrying two devices if both do their jobs perfectly. I do mind carrying a single device that is not good at either job.

That's why they invented pockets. :D

PeterQVenkman
Sep 14, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'd take battery life over the space needed for a camera, but cameras can be fun. There's more potential in cameras than just taking pictures. Games, cool augmented reality stuff (admittedly far away but still).

Nintendo DSi, their biggest competitor, has it.

crackbookpro
Sep 14, 2009, 04:22 PM
Nintendo DSi, their biggest competitor, has it.

It is even funny that in the keynote - they were even trying to say the gaming experience competes against a DSi and a PSP... :cool:

instaxgirl
Sep 14, 2009, 04:22 PM
You could live without a camera (most people have a camera/video camera of similar standard in their phone anyway) but a microphone would be useful.

Apart from the obvious fact that a lot of other mp3 players have one, it's useful for things like the skype app, shazam, voice memos etc.

crackbookpro
Sep 14, 2009, 04:26 PM
You could live without a camera (most people have a camera/video camera of similar standard in their phone anyway) but a microphone would be useful.

Apart from the obvious fact that a lot of other mp3 players have one, it's useful for things like the skype app, shazam, voice memos etc.

...you could live, but imagine how much the amount of video-uploading there would be on youtube. It would be nuts... :eek:

iBookG4user
Sep 14, 2009, 04:38 PM
So basicaly if ur driving ur car. and a building is on fire. u want to take a picture.. ur going to carry ur digital camera with u ALL the time. I think not. YESSS i want a camera on my ipod touch badly. I have a camera on my cell phone. it takes ok quality. Im happy with the quality cuz where i live it never gets boring.

Yes, I take my camera with my all the time. Anytime that I want a picture, I'll have my dSLR at my side. Any picture worth taking is worth taking well or not at all IMO.

tundotcom
Sep 14, 2009, 05:16 PM
Yes, I take my camera with my all the time. Anytime that I want a picture, I'll have my dSLR at my side. Any picture worth taking is worth taking well or not at all IMO.

ITT: we think our personal practices apply to everyone

iBookG4user
Sep 14, 2009, 05:21 PM
ITT: we think our personal practices apply to everyone

I don't believe that I ever said that my practices should apply to everyone. They were replying to my opinion so I replied back to them, it doesn't really matter to me if other people follow what I do. My personal opinion is that I do not want the iPhone or the iPod touch or any other device that is not specifically designed to be a camera, to have a camera.

Hayduke60
Sep 14, 2009, 05:40 PM
I would only want a camera onboard if there was a gps to go with it. If they don't add the gps, then for me a camera is worthless.

leomac08
Sep 16, 2009, 02:04 PM

but it would be fun to see an addition.

Some people (mostly teenagers don't have phones)

So why not get an ipod touch with everything, except a phone, with the exception of the addition of a microphone + the skype app for phone calls.:D

the ipod touch can AIM< IM, text message, surf the web, games and etc... might as well add a camera.:D

j26
Sep 16, 2009, 02:06 PM
It would overcome one of the reasons I'm not buying one at present.

leomac08
Sep 17, 2009, 05:45 PM
It would overcome one of the reasons I'm not buying one at present.

+1!

indeed!:D;)

thegoldenmackid
Sep 17, 2009, 05:51 PM
I just don't care and that comes after rarely using my iPhone camera.

leomac08
Jan 26, 2010, 12:52 AM
5 months ago i started this thread as a reaction to apple showing the new 3rd generation ipod touch

I still want a camera on the ipod touch btw..........

January 27th keynote event.....highly unlikely.....but if apple does....i'll be the first in line.:D;)

kunal123
Jan 26, 2010, 09:33 AM
I'd just like a mic to use voice control, voice memos, skype (conveniently) instead of buying earphones with a mic in them.

Dino451
Jan 26, 2010, 01:42 PM
Yes Yes Yes