Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want a camera/microphone on the ipod touch, YES or NO?

• Yes

Votes: 118 84.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 15.7%

• Total voters

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
I can think of many other worthy additions before getting the camera.

1) HD video and audio, which implies better CPU and GPU
2) GPS
3) Bigger screen
4) Better battery life
5) Microphone
6) Bluetooth
7) FM transmitter/receiver
8) OLED display
9) External playback controls

Just to name a few...

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I do want a camera & mic in the Touch.

I have a funny feeling they did this as a marketing ploy. If you think outside the box a little.... iPod sales have been on the decline as of lately - so, I think Apple, in general, wants those sales to remain steady & furthermore increase. So, they entice the market with a cheap iPod - the new iPod Nano (with a big feature like the video/mic). To make myself go out even more on a limb, I think they want this to be a big hit come the holidays... then release the new Touch w/camera & mic a couple months after. Basically, stirring the pot again after the holiday season - making the iPod buyer want to buy again!

So, to make myself sound even more crazy - they are trying to get you to buy both. Of course, this isn't the case for everyone, but on the whole I think this is what Steve Jobs and the iPod marketing/sales team have strategized.

...the Nano is the iPod that will be the holiday hit this year...that is priority #1 for Apple ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Steve Jobs said:
Steve Jobs says that the reason for the iPod touch not having a camera is simple: People don't want a camera on their iPod touch. They just want a cheaper iPod touch, as a game machine, no cameras involved. (http://gizmodo.com/5355959/steve-jobs-gives-his-reasons-for-lack-of-camera-in-ipod-touch)

That's certainly not true in this house. I bought my mum a 1G iPod Touch years ago and she loves it, but the thought of adding a camera (for stills and video) had her wanting to upgrade. She isn't interested in this as a games platform at all.
And that's the same for all the people I know with iPod Touches. They want multimedia features not paltry little mobile games.
I'm very much into gaming but I don't care at all for the iPod Touch's idea of gaming. The DS and PSP give a much better experience and are better suited to gaming (and also have better games etc).

Normally when Steve stands up on stage and says "X people like this" or "X people buy a product for Y reason" I think "yea... he's right, I know them people!". Really it just sounds like he's covering for the production problem. Of course we want cameras, look at the fallout from the show! And the celebration of the Nanos camera!

broken-chaos

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If it were a camera in line with the iPhone 3Gs, then yes, I would be interested. I would emphatically not be interested in a camera like the new nano. I don't carry a camera around and usually avoid cameraphones (though next upgrade I may go for one with a 'good enough' camera for just this reason), but on occasion see something I would like to take a quick snapshot of.

Microphone would likely be mostly unused by me, but if it wasn't obtrusive, I wouldn't mind.

As far as other mentioned features, I'm fine without HD video, bigger screens, and FM transceivers. I use it for watching video during long trips, not on a TV screen. At most the screen could be increased to filling the entire face - I wouldn't want the device itself any larger diagonally. And I just don't listen to FM radio - and use either line-in or a tape deck adapter in cars.

Better battery life? Well, yeah, a bit more battery life is always nice, but it's already more than good enough and there are limits on battery technology that have more-or-less been reached. The device would need to have lower power consuming hardware to get much of a boost - meaning slower, or no speed upgrades (but continued hardware upgrades) over a prolonged period. I mean, I remember my first iPod (20GB 3rd gen) used to get only about 6-7 hours battery. The I-lose-count hours of the 2nd gen touch is great.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Wish the OP had given the option for either/or. I don't care to have a camera because to me it's useless but I want a microphone for Skype calls.

mooblie

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The Highlands, Scotland
With respect: rubbish poll.

Without the issue of "at what added cost?", how can ANYONE answer?

Sure we'd all like extra features at little or no extra cost, and no-one wants extra features if the cost* impact is large.

( * Or other impact, like weight, size, battery life, etc.... )

WordLife565

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If it were a camera in line with the iPhone 3Gs, then yes, I would be interested. I would emphatically not] be interested in a camera like the new nano. I don't carry a camera around and usually avoid cameraphones (though next upgrade I may go for one with a 'good enough' camera for just this reason), but on occasion see something I would like to take a quick snapshot of.

You do know, if they do include a camera, it won't be any better than camera phone quality...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Sure we'd all like extra features at little or no extra cost, and no-one wants extra features if the cost* impact is large.

Good point. I think I'd be willing to pay up to $50 more for a camera and/or internal mic. A $100 more, and it'd be pushing it -- for that it'd better have a camera *and* a mic and something else, like FM radio/GPS/compass. And I wouldn't mind having it be a little bit thicker, like the iPhone or the first gen touch.

LazersGoPEWPEW

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Pensacola, FL

They added a camera and a microphone into the nano which is a smaller device at NO EXTRA COST to the consumer.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
They added a camera and a microphone into the nano which is a smaller device at NO EXTRA COST to the consumer.

They also had a year to find ways to decrease their manufacturing process. They've already lowered the price of the iPod Touch, so it stands to reason that with a camera the price of the iPod Touch would increase.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

Please, we're talking about Apple, no company is going to offer more features at NO extra cost. Please believe that there were some corners cut in order for that to happen, it's just a marketing ploy by Apple. I remember when I saw Steve say they were offering a camera FREE, my jaw dropped, then he dropped the bomb that the FREE camera was built in to the Nano.

LazersGoPEWPEW

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Pensacola, FL
They also had a year to find ways to decrease their manufacturing process. They've already lowered the price of the iPod Touch, so it stands to reason that with a camera the price of the iPod Touch would increase.

They lowered the price of the 8gb 30 dollars. Big whoop. It is essentially unchanged from the 2G 8gb model. That's not a revelation at all. Now if they had a 16gb model at 199 then I'd be a bit impressed. But they didn't do that because it would sabotage the 16gb nano.

broken-chaos

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You do know, if they do include a camera, it won't be any better than camera phone quality...
Yes, I meant that... I avoid cameraphones for different reasons than just quality. I just have minor issues with the whole "How do these two things fit together?!" concept of a camera in a phone...

It's like my avoidance of cameras that play music in any significant fashion - just personal preference.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Let's say they put a camera in in early 2010 or Sept 2010.
Any opinions on the quality of camera it would be? megapixels etc.

I think 3.0 MP, or 3.2 MP same as the iphone 3G S, nothing fancy...:cool:

I do want a camera & mic in the Touch.

I have a funny feeling they did this as a marketing ploy. If you think outside the box a little.... iPod sales have been on the decline as of lately - so, I think Apple, in general, wants those sales to remain steady & furthermore increase. So, they entice the market with a cheap iPod - the new iPod Nano (with a big feature like the video/mic). To make myself go out even more on a limb, I think they want this to be a big hit come the holidays... then release the new Touch w/camera & mic a couple months after. Basically, stirring the pot again after the holiday season - making the iPod buyer want to buy again!

So, to make myself sound even more crazy - they are trying to get you to buy both. Of course, this isn't the case for everyone, but on the whole I think this is what Steve Jobs and the iPod marketing/sales team have strategized.

...the Nano is the iPod that will be the holiday hit this year...that is priority #1 for Apple ;)

I have a slight feeling too that this introduction of the new ipod touch is a huge marketing plan from apple (in a way). I Have no doubts the new ipod nano will have increase sales. I wonder if the 4G ipod nano was doing so "BAD!" that apple would add all the cool features to the ipod nano and not the ipod touch. :confused:

If it were a camera in line with the iPhone 3Gs, then yes, I would be interested. I would emphatically not be interested in a camera like the new nano. I don't carry a camera around and usually avoid cameraphones (though next upgrade I may go for one with a 'good enough' camera for just this reason), but on occasion see something I would like to take a quick snapshot of.

Microphone would likely be mostly unused by me, but if it wasn't obtrusive, I wouldn't mind.

As far as other mentioned features, I'm fine without HD video, bigger screens, and FM transceivers. I use it for watching video during long trips, not on a TV screen. At most the screen could be increased to filling the entire face - I wouldn't want the device itself any larger diagonally. And I just don't listen to FM radio - and use either line-in or a tape deck adapter in cars.

Better battery life? Well, yeah, a bit more battery life is always nice, but it's already more than good enough and there are limits on battery technology that have more-or-less been reached. The device would need to have lower power consuming hardware to get much of a boost - meaning slower, or no speed upgrades (but continued hardware upgrades) over a prolonged period. I mean, I remember my first iPod (20GB 3rd gen) used to get only about 6-7 hours battery. The I-lose-count hours of the 2nd gen touch is great.

All of your ideas are great, but I think over time apple will "one-by one" be putting more good stuff, (taking it one step at a time)

Imagine if the ipod touch had all of these hardware updates,

What would consumers expect after that generation?

Wish the OP had given the option for either/or. I don't care to have a camera because to me it's useless but I want a microphone for Skype calls.

Well....... i was thinking, but i said lets keep it 50/50.

The microphone idea is great, it would make making phone calls much easier without the headphone, and microphone cables.

Well... as much as i would think the price of the ipod touch would go up if a camera is added or microphone, I hardly think the price would go up.

The only cons, I would see, is that the 32GB and 64GB would probably be the only ones that would receive another hardware bump with a camera and microphone and not the 8GB.

Prices would probably remain the same.;)

Why would apple increase prices again, when they just lowered the price of the entire ipod line?:rolleyes:

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
At first I wanted a camera, but now I'm glad that they didn't put a camera in it. If it's just going to be the video camera (like the one in the Nano), then I'll pass.

Still… I bought a 64GB iPod touch anyway. It comes in on Wednesday.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
At first I wanted a camera, but now I'm glad that they didn't put a camera in it. If it's just going to be the video camera (like the one in the Nano), then I'll pass.

Still… I bought a 64GB iPod touch anyway. It comes in on Wednesday.

Keep us informed of your new adventures with your new ipod touch 64GB:D

and wow! thanks guys!!!! 100 people have voted so far....:D

82 people want camera!:D

18 people don't!:D

Spike1227

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Yes, I want a camera on my Touch. Still photos if I only get one choice. Both still and video if I can have them. I keep a basic cell phone for emergencies, but I'm not fond of them. My 1st gen Touch is another matter. I use it for many things. Music, games, podcasts, web, mail, etc., etc. etc. Have a digital camera, but would love one on the Touch so I only had to carry one piece of gear. I was waiting with bated breath for last Wednesday, ready to buy the 3rd gen with cameras. Disappointment! I will now wait a couple of weeks and keep reading rumors. That said, I know I will end up with a 64GB Touch before halloween. The extra capacity alone makes this a good buy for me. I can live without the camera, but I didn't want to have to.

tundotcom

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
NYC
Yes. I don't know how old you guys are, but I'm a 21 year old guy and I don't want to carry a separate device for the sole purpose of taking pictures. For taking pictures with friends while you're hanging out, I don't see why an iPhone quality level phone does not suffice. If I want to take nice pictures, I have my DSLR for that. But obviously I can't carry that around all the time, so having an all in one device is more practical. I would get an iPhone but I don't want to/can't switch to AT&T and I don't want to pay for the data plan. I know many of my friends feel the same way, which is why an iPod touch with a camera would be perfect.

mrcc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Personally I'd prefer that no mobile phones or portable electronics in general (except cameras and video cameras, obviously.) had cameras. They are never good quality and are finger print magnets, I'd prefer a lower cost than adding a camera. If I want to take a picture I'll take an actual camera.

So basicaly if ur driving ur car. and a building is on fire. u want to take a picture.. ur going to carry ur digital camera with u ALL the time. I think not. YESSS i want a camera on my ipod touch badly. I have a camera on my cell phone. it takes ok quality. Im happy with the quality cuz where i live it never gets boring.

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
For the price of an iPod touch 32 GB or 64 GB you can buy a pocket camera many times better than the one provided by the iPhone 3Gs.

I am too picky with the quality of my images and video to care about integrated cameras in phones or media players. I have always been disappointed with the quality of any picture I ever took with the phone camera.

I don't mind carrying two devices if both do their jobs perfectly. I do mind carrying a single device that is not good at either job.

That's why they invented pockets. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.