PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Drops Refurbished iPhone 3G Prices to As Low As $49

MacRumors
Sep 25, 2009, 11:32 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/25/atandt-drops-refurbished-iphone-3g-prices-to-as-low-as-49/)

AT&T today announced (http://www.facebook.com/ATT?v=app_10442206389) that it has dropped prices on its stocks of refurbished iPhone 3G models while supplies last. Pricing is now set at $49 for 8 GB models and $99 for 16 GB models in both black and white.New pricing available in AT&T stores for iPhone 3G refurb devices! $49 for 8GB, available in black, and $99 for 16GB, available in black and white. Available in our stores while supplies last. Contact your local AT&T Store to check availability. Search here for a store near you: http://www.wireless.att.com/find-a-store/The move comes as many AT&T iPhone customers anxiously await the launch of MMS functionality (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/23/atandt-announces-iphone-mms-launch-for-late-morning-pacific-time-friday/) for the iPhone in the U.S.

Article Link: AT&T Drops Refurbished iPhone 3G Prices to As Low As $49 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/25/atandt-drops-refurbished-iphone-3g-prices-to-as-low-as-49/)

Caliber26
Sep 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
I'm in Florida and still haven't gotten any notification on MMS...anyone have it working yet?

Mr. Gates
Sep 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
Oh good, now all the little High school kids can have one. :cool:

.....and drop, and break it in one day:D

Doctor Q
Sep 25, 2009, 11:44 AM
How long before they come inside specially marked cereal boxes?

Mr. Gates
Sep 25, 2009, 11:44 AM
I'm in Florida and still haven't gotten any notification on MMS...anyone have it working yet?

That was the REAL reason I was checking the iPhone tab, nope not me.

Are you surprised?

themoonisdown09
Sep 25, 2009, 11:50 AM
The people asking about MMS should be watching this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=791421

D-Man18360
Sep 25, 2009, 11:51 AM
I'd love to move up to a 3G (or even 3Gs) phone from my current iPhone, but just don't want to spend the extra $15 a month for the data plan and messaging.

I know AT&T will never charge less for data with all the usage going on, but it would be nice if they could implement a tiered dataplan approach with different price-points.

jav6454
Sep 25, 2009, 11:53 AM
An iPhone 3G now has gone technological marvel to comes inside every marked box of X or in a Pepsi give away.

Caliber26
Sep 25, 2009, 11:55 AM
Great...so much for the iPhone being a device for the elite! ;)

In another two years, the iPhone will have gone the way of the Motorola Rzr and anyone and everyone will have one and they'll be handed out for free with the purchase of a plan, in your local Wireless Store that used to be a 7-11 or liquor store.

MacTribune
Sep 25, 2009, 11:57 AM
Too bad that price doesn't apply to anything else, but a new contract... at which point, why would I want a refurbished phone?

Being what I would call a "faithful" (9 years) customer to AT&T I was recently turned off by their methods of trying to sell me a new iPhone when my 3G stopped working properly.

The touch screen simply turned white at times, and while the rest of the phone was working fine... there was a 50/50 chance that I would get a white screen on my phone. Having the new 3GS side by side with the "white screen" 3G I was able to dial and swipe to answer calls (yes memorizing the position of the buttons as well as having a spare phone helped a lot!) AT&T was so set on selling me a new set ($599) that all the pleas and navigating to websites where it clearly states that refurbs at the time are priced at $99... I was just a few (3) weeks short of my contract renewal... I stormed out... Apple store in Manhattan Beach replaced the phone in under 10 minutes no questions asked (of course they did check for water damage which was not present)

Bottom line - what's the price drop good for??? If you have problems with your iphone, even though at times crowded, visit your Apple store... chances are your problem will be taken care of. As far as AT&T I'm just not sure about the whole pricing methods. I am a faithful customer on auto-pay many times I endured AT&T's billing errors (in their favor of course and had to wait 30 days to refund my money for billing twice)... my begging for the refurb phone did nothing, and the "let's expedite your contract for $18 online" did not apply in the local store... lower the prices of any phone all you want... this may mean absolutely nothing to some of us.

stuffradio
Sep 25, 2009, 12:03 PM
Fido/Rogers in Canada already sells the iPhone 3G refurbished at $49 CAD :P

brn2ski00
Sep 25, 2009, 12:17 PM
i dont see how this is news... they have had 8GBs for months now... bought my wife a refurbed 8GB from at&t's site for $49

kicko
Sep 25, 2009, 12:27 PM
I'm waiting for the $99 8Gb 3GS rumor to be fulfilled.

bretm
Sep 25, 2009, 12:35 PM
I'm waiting for the $99 8Gb 3GS rumor to be fulfilled.

Waiting to hear that rumor.

Cougarcat
Sep 25, 2009, 12:54 PM
This is nice and all, but it doesn't really affect the real cost of ownership. To do that, they need to offer a smaller data plan. If they offered a "lite" plan at $10 or 15 a month, I'd be all over that. I don't need much because I'm in Wifiland 90% of the time, and I'd love to get rid of my Razr.

swarmster
Sep 25, 2009, 01:06 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they were all holding out for that big drop from $2260 to $2210. :rolleyes:

SkippyThorson
Sep 25, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'd love to move up to a 3G (or even 3Gs) phone from my current iPhone, but just don't want to spend the extra $15 a month for the data plan and messaging.

I know AT&T will never charge less for data with all the usage going on, but it would be nice if they could implement a tiered dataplan approach with different price-points.

Exactly the same here - I'll renew a contract on my first gen iPhone if it means keeping the lower data plan. I refuse to pay $15 more for service I already get on an equal phone. Just because it's 3G - that's the excuse for being more. Excuse me though, aren't all phones eventually going to be 3G when Edge is dead? Will it still be $10 more across the board then?...

spillproof
Sep 25, 2009, 01:48 PM
So you can essentially get an 8GB iPod touch with mic! for $49 and deal with the slightly bigger body vs $199. Not bad at all.

Reppin' the 5 6 Ace! (and 813). Nothin yet my friend.

trungthiendo
Sep 25, 2009, 02:15 PM
there is a way to upgrade to the 3gs and not pay the extra in data plan charges.

if you still have ur 2g iphone that is.

just upgrade to 3g iphone, call back in and tell them you decided to stick with your 2g iphone and want to go back to the 20$ with 200 txt msg data plan, and just keep using it on the 3g, you'll have access to 3g and all of that jazz

noTe on iPhone
Sep 25, 2009, 03:57 PM
there is a way to upgrade to the 3gs and not pay the extra in data plan charges.

if you still have ur 2g iphone that is.

just upgrade to 3g iphone, call back in and tell them you decided to stick with your 2g iphone and want to go back to the 20$ with 200 txt msg data plan, and just keep using it on the 3g, you'll have access to 3g and all of that jazz

But you won't be able to do any MMS. This was already confirmed.

jmorrison0722
Sep 25, 2009, 05:24 PM
Strange that they just announced this...I bought one for $49 about 3 weeks ago? AT&T is so current.

dadaiPhone
Sep 25, 2009, 06:49 PM
Good news, but will you need a new or extended contract to get the 49.00 price, Or can you purchase the refurbish iPhone outright?

crackermac
Sep 25, 2009, 06:57 PM
Great...so much for the iPhone being a device for the elite! ;)

In another two years, the iPhone will have gone the way of the Motorola Rzr and anyone and everyone will have one and they'll be handed out for free with the purchase of a plan, in your local Wireless Store that used to be a 7-11 or liquor store.

I look forward to the the day that iPhone is that popular. Increase that market share and the more and more apps and accessories that are built for it. I could care less of it being a status symbol. I love it because its functionality is the best out there.

trungthiendo
Sep 25, 2009, 08:02 PM
i'm sure the 10 dollar savings a month outweighs the MMS feature by far...

and i'm sure there are 3rd party apps from the store that will let u do MMS or something along those lines.

iphones4evry1
Sep 25, 2009, 08:02 PM
Read the fine print. AT&T requires you to sign a two-year contract. So, in reality, when you "buy" that $49 phone, you are entering into a binding legal contract with AT&T's attorneys for $69.99 per month for two years. There's a catch to everything. This one is "AT&T style."

trungthiendo
Sep 25, 2009, 08:07 PM
read it again you don't need to have that 30 dollar plan on for the life of the phone, you can even take it off if you wanted, they just want you to keep the voice service for 2 years.

trust me i have done that and so have others. Where else do you think we got all of this info on the ins and outs, from our anus?

the 2 year is not based on the data coverage plan, you can take that off as long as you have a different phone you can plug the sim card into that's not an iphone, the representative will take it off, of some people have reported that they were able to take it off themselves online.

as for the 20 dollar data plan or 30, it doesn't matter which one you have, but if u already have a 2g iphone and want to upgrade to 3g or 3GS and not have to pay the extra 10 dollars a month, all you have to do is plug the new sim card back into the 2g iphone call up att and request so.

data plan can come on and off its not part of the 2 year agreement

casik
Sep 26, 2009, 12:09 AM
Read the fine print. AT&T requires you to sign a two-year contract. So, in reality, when you "buy" that $49 phone, you are entering into a binding legal contract with AT&T's attorneys for $69.99 per month for two years. There's a catch to everything. This one is "AT&T style."

um. duh. of course you would have to sign a term. what you think that you would be able to buy an iPhone outright for 50 bucks. hahahaha.

dadaiPhone
Sep 26, 2009, 12:52 AM
um. duh. of course you would have to sign a term. what you think that you would be able to buy an iPhone outright for 50 bucks. hahahaha.

Yea I know...dam. ? I lost one of my iPhones , using another AT&T charges 30 buck and they won't take off the data plan, what to do?

doodads
Sep 26, 2009, 05:50 AM
So, in reality, when you "buy" that $49 phone, you are entering into a binding legal contract with AT&T's attorneys for $69.99 per month for two years.

Uhhhh....You are NOT signing a contract with attorneys......where the heck did you get that from??

siddavis
Sep 26, 2009, 08:36 AM
read it again you don't need to have that 30 dollar plan on for the life of the phone, you can even take it off if you wanted, they just want you to keep the voice service for 2 years.

trust me i have done that and so have others. Where else do you think we got all of this info on the ins and outs, from our anus?

the 2 year is not based on the data coverage plan, you can take that off as long as you have a different phone you can plug the sim card into that's not an iphone, the representative will take it off, of some people have reported that they were able to take it off themselves online.

data plan can come on and off its not part of the 2 year agreement

What are you talking about? Straight from the refurb site:
Please note: AT&T is Apple's exclusive carrier partner for iPhone in the United States. An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the United States and does not cover international data usage and charges. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

iLoveMyApple
Sep 26, 2009, 08:44 AM

Kind of a dumb thing to say. Anyone could drop it and break it, in one day.

trungthiendo
Sep 26, 2009, 05:26 PM
yes they coudl do that if they saw you were using the iphone, but like i said, the data plan doesn't need to be on there, and most likely they won't add data back on.

i am currently on the 20 dollar 2g pricing on my 3gs, and i've gone without data on my 2g/3g iphone for a year now, just recently upgraded to the 3gs back in July and have been paying 20 bucks for data

and the loophole for the 3g data plan on 2g pricing still works, they won't add it back on, they will notify you before hand with a txt.

anjinha
Sep 26, 2009, 07:08 PM

It's the same as any other subsidized phone on any network, it isn't specific to AT&T: you get a cheap/free phone but you have a contract for 24 months.

KurtangleTN
Sep 26, 2009, 07:12 PM
They won't get the HS crowd, at least the ones that can't have their parents sign for them, no credit = $500 deposit.

For a phone...