Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Due to the overwhelming enthusiasm of our forum goers, we'll have this one stop shopping for all your "MMS is working on my AT&T iPhone" needs! Feel free to use this thread to post about your newfound MMS experiences come Friday.

While some of you may have already enabled MMS through other means, please restrict yourselves to official AT&T/Apple approved MMS availability posts.

Also if somebody would like to create a guide as a FAQ for MMS that others can update during the launch excitement feel free to go ahead and we'll get it linked here in this post!

Please do not ask for the updated carrier file.
It'll get to you when it gets to you.

While not required, it would be helpful if you posted approximate times and locations.

Please see the front page story regarding approximate launch times.

If you see a post that you feel should be in this thread, please report it with a message of something like "Belongs in MMS launch thread" so the mods can move it into here.

Initial reports suggest you will not get a text message first and you may have to restart your phone once you apply the carrier update via iTunes. The update version is 5.5

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
The OFFICIAL MMS Thread

EDIT: Sorry for creating a second MMS thread, I didn't even think to look at Sticky's for this... Great move!

In preparation of tomorrow. I thought it would be a good idea to start ONE THREAD for all MMS posts to TRY and help keep the forum from being inundated with the typical "MMS Fail", "Yay Finally" and my favorite... "I woke up and checked my phone, still no MMS"

Here is what we Know:

1)MMS is being Rolled out to US AT&T Customers throughout the day, Tomorrow - September 25th, starting at 10am eastern time.

2)It will probably be a staggered roll out, that meaning just because New York has it, does not mean Pennsylvania will have it at the same time or immediately following.

3)You will receive a text message from AT&T when your market is activated.

4)You will not be able to wake up and use MMS on your phone. Once your market has been activated, you will probably have to plug your phone into your computer and download the carrier update file.

5)MMS will probably be slow all weekend... with everyone sending test pictures and videos it is safe to assume that MMS will be slow, and with the increased network traffic, we will probably see degraded speed while using Safari... and let's not even get into dropped calls.

Well, this is where I hand it over to all of our brilliant members... If you have anything helpful to add please do so, oh, and if you already have MMS and have since 3.0, awesome, I'm proud of you. ;)

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I appreciate the effort, hopefully this will work.
However, I dont think it going to be 10am eastern. That would imply that 7am is late morning pacific, and according to front page, it is rolling out late morning pacific, however you could be correct. Nice write-up though. Here's hoping to a smooth 25th. :rolleyes:

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Hmmmmm that means it will be afternoon for me, regardless.... cuz if they aren't even starting rollout til 10 a.m.... even is socal is first... i'll be at work and won't have iTunes access... :(

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Much thanks for this thread.

But...it's not based on region and people still seem to think that. It will be staggered and there will be people in your area that can send MMS while you cannot and vice versa.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I thought we were supposed to get an SMS when it would be available in iTunes?

We are, but they are doing this in groups of iPhone users. First group A, then B, so on and so on. That way they can monitor increase in MMS and control it if the situation looks as if servers are starting to overload.

Still, regardless, if they push the update to iTunes anyone at anytime can download it. The text message is just to 'inform' you it is now available (mostly for people who have no clue MMS was coming the 25th)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
We are, but they are doing this in groups of iPhone users. First group A, then B, so on and so on. That way they can monitor increase in MMS and control it if the situation looks as if servers are starting to overload.

Still, regardless, if they push the update to iTunes anyone at anytime can download it. The text message is just to 'inform' you it is now available (mostly for people who have no clue MMS was coming the 25th)

I wonder if we're going to have people staying up all night like they did for OS 3.0.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Only question i have is, do you need to have 3.1 to use MMS or will will it work on 3.0.1?

We don't know yet. We'll find out once the carrier update is available and someone on 3.0.1 or 3.0 clicks to update, at that point it may or may not automatically update the firmware. My guess is that if you are on iTunes 9 you'll be forced up upgrade to 3.1, other versions of iTunes who knows.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
We don't know yet. We'll find out once the carrier update is available and someone on 3.0.1 or 3.0 clicks to update, at that point it may or may not automatically update the firmware. My guess is that if you are on iTunes 9 you'll be forced up upgrade to 3.1, other versions of iTunes who knows.

Id guess you dont need it if you dont have it already. Its just a carrier update to 5.1 that you could of got from Googling it and then adding in your settings.

We'll see though.

hbenitez09

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Actually

Actually this is the information att released on it's facebook page.

Multimedia message service (MMS) for the iPhone will roll out in the late morning, Pacific time.

At that point, users will be able to download the update via iTunes, AT&T said in a note on its Facebook page.

"Late morning, Pacific Time, on Friday, the new carrier settings update enabling MMS should be live and ready ...to download through iTunes," AT&T wrote. "We'll provide the steps and all of the details you need right here at that time."

AT&T first announced plans for MMS on the iPhone in June, and confirmed earlier this month that it would officially be released on September 25.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Id guess you dont need it if you dont have it already. Its just a carrier update to 5.1 that you could of got from Googling it and then adding in your settings.

We'll see though.

Exactly. Even if 3.1 is required through iTunes for the carrier file, i’m sure you can Google the file itself and update without 3.1 ;)

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
Is there a way to know when it's out other than keep plugging in you phone? (I already have it :cool:, but my friend at work is goody2shoes and doesn't want to put anything on his phone that is not official :confused:)

So I was hoping to get his updated, so we can slack off at work :D

Loadmasher

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
Is there a way to know when it's out other than keep plugging in you phone? (I already have it :cool:, but my friend at work is goody2shoes and doesn't want to put anything on his phone that is not official :confused:)

So I was hoping to get his updated, so we can slack off at work :D

***Read the second post***

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.