PDA

View Full Version : New Products This Quarter

arn
Jul 18, 2002, 06:21 PM
Many users also noted that the previously mentioned (http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=technologynews&StoryID=1214469) Reuter's article also hinted at new products this Quarter:

Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson also said that there would be more new products this quarter and that Apple intended to price them competitively.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 18, 2002, 06:29 PM
A very subtle way for a self-hype.

It will only cause the rise of more speculation, though. But I'm thinking guessing here won't help all that much. Hopefully something will leak and its a nice way to keep things going here on the forums.

D

zkmusa
Jul 18, 2002, 06:46 PM
Long time reader (over two years), first time poster...

A 2nd financial quarter ends on July 31st usually, right?

I'd hate to speculate, but this could mean that the new PowerMacs will come out before the end of the month?

Or a new device (which I highly doubt..)....

Blackcat
Jul 18, 2002, 06:52 PM
MWNY showed everything we need for a Mac Tablet device:

- iSync
- iCal
- Addressbook
- oh yes... Ink!

Were the 9" portable specs real maybe?

Mr. Anderson
Jul 18, 2002, 06:53 PM
There is talk of new machines in August - and they might be refering to a different quarter - you never know. My speculation - might as well now - is that all the monitors will go to wide aspect ratio - like the new 17" iMac. I've been saying this for a couple months now, and I'm starting to believe myself now that they've actually done it to the iMac.

D

jelloshotsrule
Jul 18, 2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

It will only cause the rise of more speculation, though. But I'm thinking guessing here won't help all that much. Hopefully something will leak and its a nice way to keep things going here on the forums.

at this point, i actually don't want to hear anything leak. as much fun as it is to come here and check out the rumors and see what might come out.... it's that much more fun to be surprised i've decided......

after the relative let down of mwny (mainly just the pricing of jaguar -no upgrade and no aac yet in itunes)... i am not gonna get my hopes up too much anymore... though i have a feeling that will be tough

JtheLemur
Jul 18, 2002, 07:17 PM
Hahaha, nooo I don't want to start a thread war, but Blackcat IS right - iCal, Addy Book & centralized database, BLuetooth, iSync, .mac integration - a PDA of some sort would be the PERFECT DEVICE to bring this all together!

or BETTER YET (perhaps) a joint product between SonyE and Apple? Like the SonyE P800 based on Symbian - an Apple branded, SonyE manufactured, Symbian based PDA/phone with Bluetooth... =D

-- J

barkmonster
Jul 18, 2002, 07:36 PM
What if apple are using the negative reports they knew they'd get for introducing .Mac as a paid for service to increase the impact of price reductions on the next range of powermacs ?

I know it's bit far fetched but the $100 price decrease on the iMac and iPod models could filter down or even become an even larger saving on the towers.

I think they could easily shave a hundred or so off the cost of the towers just from the fact component costs have lowered since the last range we're introduced. They could up the Mhz, we expect DDR so that's a small saving over the cost of PC133, increasing the size of the hard drives wouldn't cost them any more that what the current sizes did earler in the year.

I think if they offered an entry level G4 Tower for $1499 it wouldn't be out of the question, they could lose $100 - $200 off the mid range and $150 - $250 off the high end aswell.

I know I'm just speculating, everyone want more for less money in anything they buy but it would be a good move to reduce the costs of the towers by at least a noticable amount if not a significant one.

kainjow
Jul 18, 2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat

- iSync
- iCal
- Addressbook
- oh yes... Ink!

This is what I'm talking about :) I truly believe that Apple is coming out with either a new device as a tablet or making the portables have touch sensitive screens. Why else would there be Inkwell? (No PDA for sure...but, they did just introduce iSync :))

Mr. Anderson
Jul 18, 2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by barkmonster
What if apple are using the negative reports they knew they'd get for introducing .Mac as a paid for service to increase the impact of price reductions on the next range of powermacs ?

I know I'm just speculating, everyone want more for less money in anything they buy but it would be a good move to reduce the costs of the towers by at least a noticable amount if not a significant one.

Thats a nice bit of deductive speculation! Could be, suffer the flak for a month and then come out with something cheaper - look like a winner and a company that listens to its users. Further strengthen their position. I like it.

Ha, it even makes apple look a little like a split personality, when they're actually just playing a bigger game, but being extremely patient. Now that's got to be tough. :D

D

trodel_post
Jul 18, 2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

at this point, i actually don't want to hear anything leak. as much fun as it is to come here and check out the rumors and see what might come out.... it's that much more fun to be surprised i've decided......

after the relative let down of mwny (mainly just the pricing of jaguar -no upgrade and no aac yet in itunes)... i am not gonna get my hopes up too much anymore... though i have a feeling that will be tough

If you don't want to hear the rumors, why are you here? This site is called Macrumors for a reason!

swahilibill
Jul 18, 2002, 09:26 PM
hey trodel, relax, he is not being a jerk, everyone, including me are very angry and edgy about the tremendous Ass ****ing of MWNY, so chill.

Faeylyn
Jul 18, 2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by zkmusa

I'd hate to speculate, but this could mean that the new PowerMacs will come out before the end of the month?

Typical Quarters End:
December 31st
March 31st
June 30th
September 30th

The current quarter ends 9/30.

Have you signed the petition yet? I think you need to. It's at:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/MUAMW/

Cursor
Jul 18, 2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by zkmusa

I don't think new PowerMacs would come out only 2 weeks after MacWorld. I think they'll come out at the end of August and ship with 10.2 preinstalled.

Sublime
Jul 18, 2002, 10:57 PM
Can ya see .mac subscriptions being thrown into these deals?

=)

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 18, 2002, 11:13 PM
I don't care if a .mac is thrown in with a new PowerMac. Frankly, I don't want it. Lower the price of my Mac $100. Next year you'll need to change your email anyway unless you want to fork over $100/yr. Frankly, I'd rather just get the pain over with now. I'm not looking forward to contacting dozens of folks plus going to dozens of websites to change my email address. Thanks, Apple.

Huked on Fonick
Jul 18, 2002, 11:14 PM
I dont care what apples does as long as there stock goes up..... way way up so i can sell it and brake even or gasp make some money:D

beatle888
Jul 18, 2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
or BETTER YET (perhaps) a joint product between SonyE and Apple? Like the SonyE P800 based on Symbian - an Apple branded, SonyE manufactured, Symbian based PDA/phone with Bluetooth... =D

-- J

exactly:D

MOM
Jul 19, 2002, 12:57 AM
I don't think Apple would come out with a pda and call it a pda, it has to be more or different from what we get with Palm et al. Think, if Apple had regular pda plans then why would they let you carry contacts and dates on an ipod. You don't add those functions to one device and then make another whose main purpose is to carry contacts and appointments. If they have any plans for a ultra-portable computing device it would have to be a big step up from a Palm. I could believe a tablet with a minimal OSX install, inkwell etc. Great for students taking notes and general business use. think of it as a substitute for the old yellow legal pad rather than a substitute for a portable. Sure it can carry your contacts and calender and memos etc, but that is just added stuff, not the main dish. If they can't make something like this for around $599, then I think the phone idea makes more sense. I just don't see Apple doing a me too palm-like pda. They will more likely render them obsolete with smart phones and ipods or step right up and over them to something much more powerful. just my 2 cents

MOM

solvs
Jul 19, 2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
There is talk of new machines in August - and they might be refering to a different quarter - you never know. My speculation - might as well now - is that all the monitors will go to wide aspect ratio - like the new 17" iMac. I've been saying this for a couple months now, and I'm starting to believe myself now that they've actually done it to the iMac.

D

Have you noticed the rebates are on the displays? New Towers with better graphics cards, bigger drives, DDR, etc. And new, wider displays.

Plus, anyone else notice all the rebates you can get if you buy OS X.2 (Jagwire) with other software and hardware?

http://www.apple.com/promo/coupon/

Check the Savings it's called. Trying to soften the blow I guess.

topicolo
Jul 19, 2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Huked on Fonick
I dont care what apples does as long as there stock goes up..... way way up so i can sell it and brake even or gasp make some money:D

I feel your pain, brotha!:)

s10
Jul 19, 2002, 09:52 AM
- iSync
- iCal
- Addressbook
- oh yes... Ink!

Steve didn't speak a lot about inkWell.
He had to address it as we all know about it, but didn't go in details as he will do this on another event......

A sony collaboration would be possible. Sony did build powerbooks in he past and the SonyEricsson boss at MWNY was maybe a hint.

What about a Nokia communicator equivelent from Sony and Apple??

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 19, 2002, 10:16 AM
this was posted on the dealmac.com forum

http://dealmac.com/forums/read.html?f=1&i=814024&t=813960 (http://)

-------Quote-------------------------------------
The new towers will be released Aug 13th. Along with them will be the death of the 15" LCD a price to $699.99 on the 17" Wide Screen LCD an added 19" WS LCD for $1299.99 and the 22" WS LCD will be $1999.99.

as for the towers they will use a new 128MB ATI Graphics Card that will be annouced today or tomorrow (depending on who you talk to at the booth according to friends).

The towers are expected to all contain superdrives (a welcome addition with the imac 800 w/ a 17" screen under $2k) and start at 933 1066 (1.06Ghz) and 1199 (1.2Ghz). Prices will remain the same on the lower models but the high end which will contain 8MB cache drive will be raised to $3199.99. Apple will continue to sell the current models and extend the rebate program on the older models only if inventory requires it.

-------End Quote---------------------------------

This person's email is "macinsider@xxx.com" (xxx's inserted by me--look it up if you want to). Someone asked how this person knew this information and they never responded. Sure would be nice if it were true!

mayaLuvr
Jul 19, 2002, 10:20 AM
the recent murmurring at the 3D side have been many since MWNY.
there is talk of a real head turner but not sure if its in any relation to A|W Maya, Renderman or even Hardware!!
my dream news would be a package where if you buy a Quad G4:O) plus A|W Maya you would get Renderman free!!!
of course that would mean that Renderman will be brought over to the OSX side!
I can just see my wall of Xserves pumping out some frames:O)
oh yeah did I mention in my dream that I have a wall of Xserves?
hehehe I can dream cant I:D

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 19, 2002, 10:23 AM
Here's a juicy bit of info about the new ATI Radeon 9700. There is a review of it vs. nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4600 at this PC site (these are PC versions of the cards). In short, at 1600x1200 resolution the Radeon 9700 can be over 50% faster than the nVidia GeForce4 Ti:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1656&p=1 (http://)

The end of this first page states:

"the Radeon 9700, the first R300 based card from ATI, will be in stores no later than 30-days from now. The card retails for a MSRP of $399 and with all that ATI has been able to show us that far, we have no reason not to believe them on this."

It makes one wonder if the Radeon 9700 will be ready for the PowerMac G4 as an OEM next month when the new towers are suppose to come out. Woo-hoo!!! Here's hoping!

mayaLuvr
Jul 19, 2002, 10:39 AM
there reports of faster speeds while AA was off on Ti!
then with AA on the ATI was destroying the Ti with numbers like 3 to 4 times!!
I have to see this for myself!
as a 3d animator Im looking forward to seeing Wildcat 6200 for OSX!

drastik
Jul 19, 2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Huked on Fonick

Buy more now and recoup for real when the price goes back up. It'll go back up, Apple is a great deal right now.;)

theranch
Jul 19, 2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat

- iSync
- iCal
- Addressbook
- oh yes... Ink!

Don't forget Rendezvous! That alone is awesome!

boobers
Jul 19, 2002, 01:52 PM
i think the zoom feature of Jag is also a big hint as to a portable...with a small screen you would be able to easily hone in on a specific area read whatever 6 point type you wanna and then back out..

beatle888
Jul 19, 2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by boobers
i think the zoom feature of Jag is also a big hint as to a portable...with a small screen you would be able to easily hone in on a specific area read whatever 6 point type you wanna and then back out..

good point I missed (and so did everybody else) that one.;)

drastik
Jul 19, 2002, 04:27 PM
I still don't buy it as a portable, and I don't see the use of a touch screen laptop. What is possible, I think, is some kind of partnership with Wacom for a drawing tablet, that would be a boost to interprise, and any Apple branded product builds the digital hub.

boobers
Jul 19, 2002, 05:03 PM
i don't want a 9 inch tablet..i want a 4x5 inch tablet..something small and portable..something i won't fear breaking..big tablets are used for what? i'm still not too sure..a big tablet is useless since there are laptops that do more and you don't have to hold them in your arm..i want a single handed device that i can hold with one hand and write with the other, not a big assed tablet that doesn't fit in my pocket, has to be cradled in my arm to write on..i don't see the point in that.

DaedalusDE
Jul 19, 2002, 07:32 PM
I was talking to a friend online and he said:

me and my family went into the apple store today and my dad was going to buy the new iMac for the family computer and the guy said "unless you need it this week, I would wait until next week to buy it, thats all i can say"

would apple do something radical this soon after MacWorld?

goldmember
Jul 19, 2002, 08:47 PM
I'll bet it's something to do with .mac or the pricing of Jaguar. Next week they'll announce that new macs will get .mac free for a year or a free upgrade to jaguar...something like that.

The only other thing that is even possible is, dare i say... built-in bluetooth?

DaedalusDE
Jul 19, 2002, 09:40 PM
its way too early for new hardware... maybe apple will get smart and give away free 5gig ipods to anyone who buys a new imac

Cappy
Jul 19, 2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by goldmember
I'll bet it's something to do with .mac or the pricing of Jaguar. Next week they'll announce that new macs will get .mac free for a year or a free upgrade to jaguar...something like that.

The only other thing that is even possible is, dare i say... built-in bluetooth?

I'm thinking along the same lines. I can't see .mac getting off to a good start for new Mac users unless they get a taste of it first.

theranch
Jul 21, 2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by DaedalusDE
I was talking to a friend online and he said:

me and my family went into the apple store today and my dad was going to buy the new iMac for the family computer and the guy said "unless you need it this week, I would wait until next week to buy it, thats all i can say"

would apple do something radical this soon after MacWorld?
That's interesting...maybe he was talking about the 17" vs the 15" w/superdrive? Or was it truely post MWNY that this went down...? I have a friend in the market and is ready to buy the 17" but macmall is saying that they won't ship until Sept sometime...didn't SJ say they would ship in 2 weeks during the keynote?

DaedalusDE
Jul 21, 2002, 08:52 AM
he told me that on friday... (and btw the new 17inches are coming out August 1st... along with the new ipods)

theranch
Jul 21, 2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by DaedalusDE
he told me that on friday... (and btw the new 17inches are coming out August 1st... along with the new ipods)

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 21, 2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by theranch

Maybe they are configuring the new iMac with DDR ram? Or a different video card? Why someone would say to hold off on buying the iMac is interesting.
The Apple store salesperson is saying to hold off on buying an iMac now and to buy next week because they don't have the 17" in stock. Instead of buying the 15" now in stock, get the 17" iMac when it comes in.

Apple Store employees are not privy to what is coming down the pike any more than you are I. To think Apple is going to update the iMac in one week when they just updated it at a trade show is juvenille. Sorry, they are not going to put DDR RAM in the iMac when it is not even in the PowerMac line. iMacs do not even have PC133 RAM yet. When PowerMacs go to DDR RAM, then several months later you can expect the iMac to go to PC133. The PowerMacs have been rumored to be updated in August after the current Powermac/display promotion ends.

theranch
Jul 21, 2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight

The Apple store salesperson is saying to hold off on buying an iMac now and to buy next week because they don't have the 17" in stock. Instead of buying the 15" now in stock, get the 17" iMac when it comes in.

Apple Store employees are not privy to what is coming down the pike any more than you are I. To think Apple is going to update the iMac in one week when they just updated it at a trade show is juvenille. Sorry, they are not going to put DDR RAM in the iMac when it is not even in the PowerMac line. iMacs do not even have PC133 RAM yet. When PowerMacs go to DDR RAM, then several months later you can expect the iMac to go to PC133. The PowerMacs have been rumored to be updated in August after the current Powermac/display promotion ends.
I know that was a juvenille...I didn't know what he was getting at. I mean no ****** they should wait...pay the extra $200 and get a better video card, bigger HD and a 17" screen. I thought that maybe he knew something was different about them and that the person knew of the 17" screen already....my bad.

wchamlet
Jul 21, 2002, 08:32 PM
Wouldn't it be great if Apple decided to release the new PowerMacs at Siggraph this week. It's obviously a big show and they have already sent out invites for all of the Shake users to attend :

July 22, 2002
Event: Siggraph Shake User Group Meeting
Time: 2:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Information: Apple Computer invites you to the 2002 Shake User Group Meeting to be held
at Siggraph in San Antonio, Texas.

When: Monday, July 22, 2:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Where: Menger Hotel Ballroom, 204 Alamo Plaza

The meeting will feature a series of group discussions, product
demonstrations and client presentations.

Please RSVP to http://seminars.apple.com/goToEvent.html?id=19167 by
Wednesday, July 17th.

We hope that you can join us.

Please let us know if you require any special accommodations in order to
attend. Dates, times, locations, speakers, and content may change without
notice. Apple and the seminar sponsors accept no responsibility in
connection with such changes.

Makes you wonder just what type of products are going to be demonstrated? Hmmm... New G4's running the OS X version of Shake? Food for thought...

Chad

theranch
Jul 21, 2002, 08:37 PM
I guess we'll find out tomorrow...?

theranch
Jul 22, 2002, 08:26 PM
nothing...

wchamlet
Jul 22, 2002, 08:36 PM
True. Sad to say though. I really wanted to hear about new towers. Anyway, Apple has cut a pretty good deal for Shake, even though I don't need it. I am looking to get Maya, at least when or if Apple updates their Towers.

See ya' on the flip side... or in fantasy land... or wherever there are new "Powerful" Powermacs, instead of the ol' UnderPoweredmacs. :D

synergy
Jul 23, 2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by goldmember

Free upgrade to Jaguar? If you bought after the keynote you get it for 20 bucks as it is.

astrocity20
Jul 23, 2002, 11:26 AM
hey I live in San Antonio.......dammit I missed it >:|