PDA

View Full Version : Multi-user support on the iPad

Diadems
Jan 28, 2010, 04:14 AM
One thing I think is being overlooked is that there has been no mention so far of multi-user support on the iPad. It seems like it would be a device that could easily be shared amongst multiple people in a household, but there would be no clear way for each particular user to have their own unique experience. Say you didn't want your iPad experience to be cluttered with games, and you want to keep little Johnny from deleting your iWork files, how would you do this without buying two?

joshysquashy
Jan 28, 2010, 04:39 AM
One thing I think is being overlooked is that there has been no mention so far of multi-user support on the iPad. It seems like it would be a device that could easily be shared amongst multiple people in a household, but there would be no clear way for each particular user to have their own unique experience. Say you didn't want your iPad experience to be cluttered with games, and you want to keep little Johnny from deleting your iWork files, how would you do this without buying two?

It wouldn't surprise me if apple are working on this. There may be changes between the developer release and the final one. I reckon a camera will be included, and multi-users makes a lot of sense.

MacRumorUser
Jan 28, 2010, 04:59 AM
Actually the one thing still bugging me about the iPhone OS is the fact we still don't have a proper manageable way to categorize applications and store them in sub folders.

I have 116 Apps... If I get the iPad this would likely increase. I don't want several hundred pages to flip through to get to App 107.

carlrothottawa
Jan 28, 2010, 06:48 AM
Multi-user will be a "deal breaker" for me. If I can't leave the iPad in my living room or rec room to be used by whoever in my family without mixing up email etc it will not be cost effective for me. I have an iPhone and i don't need another "personal" device. I hope they sort this out and announce something soon.

maflynn
Jan 28, 2010, 07:18 AM
Nothing has been mentioned, and while I don't think its multi-user, we may not know for sure until more previews hit the web and/or people start seeing it at the apple store.

dduff617
Jan 28, 2010, 03:50 PM
the iphone as of now is strictly single-user. otoh, mac os x running on a laptop supports multiple users. you have the option to set it up to use auto-login and have a mostly single-user look and feel if you don't use the multi-user capability.

does anyone know how the ipad will behave? i have an iphone and a laptop, so does my wife. i could imagine it still might be fun/useful to have an ipad around the house for surfing, checking mail, etc. but it would make considerably less sense if the ipad had to "belong" to just one of us.

will ipad support multiple users? if so, how?

thinking about this... it seems like it would be relatively easy to support the basics of user login (just like a macbook), but you'd have to solve issues such as how to divide up the available storage across users. also usb sync would have to become more complex, assuming you want each user to be able to sync separately against their own laptops...

calderone
Jan 28, 2010, 03:52 PM
I am trying to figure out what the little button to the right of the unlock bar is. This may hold the answer.

With that said, it is of course possible. Will they do it? Who knows. If they do, I would hope for OD authentication and the ability to use AFP shares for storage.

Onigiri
Jan 28, 2010, 03:54 PM
I thought Steve had said it starts a photo slideshow when it's docked.

Gav2k
Jan 28, 2010, 04:03 PM
Single user only.

As above the button turns the slideshow on

calderone
Jan 28, 2010, 04:05 PM
Single user only.

As above the button turns the slideshow on

Ah, guess I missed that. Thanks.

bw506
Jan 29, 2010, 10:22 AM
Didn't see or haven't heard anything about the possibility of the iPad having separate user accounts or being able to sync to 2 itunes accounts. This could be a deal breaker for many. The email and calendar apps are great, but my wife is going to want to be able to view her info on it as well. Same thing with media.

We both have 2 iphones, but 2 iPads? Not ready to fork over that much money.

calderone
Jan 29, 2010, 10:23 AM
Nothing has suggested that this will be the case.

admanimal
Jan 29, 2010, 10:26 AM
If it is going to happen, it seems most likely that it would require a major version iPhone OS update, i.e. 4.0.

colmaclean
Jan 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
Interesting idea. I guess the difference in this respect between the iPad and the iPhone is that the phone needs to be "always on" with the owner's identity.

The iPad doesn't have this issue, so could support multiple users - much like (shock, horror) a normal computer.

skubish
Jan 29, 2010, 10:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Simple solution: buy 2!

nevermind50
Jan 29, 2010, 02:29 PM
Say you didn't want your iPad experience to be cluttered with games, and you want to keep little Johnny from deleting your iWork files, how would you do this without buying two?

This is a really good question. one I'm sure Apple have thought about long and hard... surely the iPad has to support multiple profiles. However, I wouldn't be surprised not to see it until iPhone OS 4.0 or maybe later. Expect the implementation to be spot-on when it does arrive though.

macinhand
Jan 29, 2010, 04:45 PM
This option would be a deal breaker for us!

The computers in our house all have user accounts for the main reason of managing our sons access to the internet!

It is obvious the main place for the iPad to be sited is in the living room for access by all, if our son can just pick this up and access any sites, email accounts etc etc this would defeat the object for us and render it useless

I know what people are going to say! lock it with the password but that again would defeat the object and render it useless for everyone apart from the owner!

rdowns
Jan 29, 2010, 05:04 PM
You want my to share my iPad? That's just sick.

bozzykid
Jan 29, 2010, 07:40 PM
I agree multi user support for the iPad is a must for anyone who is going to use this with the family. No way would I want it being used when they could access my email/contacts/etc. In that way, the iPad is much different than an iPhone which is generally only used by a single person.

cjthebest
Jan 29, 2010, 07:58 PM
This option would be a deal breaker for us!

The computers in our house all have user accounts for the main reason of managing our sons access to the internet!

It is obvious the main place for the iPad to be sited is in the living room for access by all, if our son can just pick this up and access any sites, email accounts etc etc this would defeat the object for us and render it useless

I know what people are going to say! lock it with the password but that again would defeat the object and render it useless for everyone apart from the owner!
Well the iPhone/iPod touch all ready have parental controls, I'm 100% sure the iPad will as well. http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/04/13/iphone-101-set-parental-controls-iphone/
Or if you don't want to completely disable Safari for your child, you can download the free app called MobiCip
http://knol.google.com/k/how-to-setup-parental-controls-on-iphone-ipod-touch#
With MobiCip, you will have to put a lock on Safari, but there will be a new browser on your home screen where your son can use their safe browser. But when you want to use it, just tap on Safari and type in your 4-digit code and your good to go.

TraceyS/FL
Jan 29, 2010, 08:07 PM
Well the iPhone/iPod touch all ready have parental controls, I'm 100% sure the iPad will as well. http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/04/13/iphone-101-set-parental-controls-iphone/
Or if you don't want to completely disable Safari for your child, you can download the free app called MobiCip
http://knol.google.com/k/how-to-setup-parental-controls-on-iphone-ipod-touch#
With MobiCip, you will have to put a lock on Safari, but there will be a new browser on your home screen where your son can use their safe browser. But when you want to use it, just tap on Safari and type in your 4-digit code and your good to go.

I love Mobicip, but it's not free. It's currently $4.99 for the base app - that gives you filtering on 3 groups. Elementary, Middle School & HIgh School, using the guidelines that most schools & libraries filter with. If you want more control - or want to allow or disallow certain sites, then you can buy a one year subscription for $9.99 on the website. That will let you have multiple devices with different levels, and a bunch of other stuff.

http://www.mobicip.com/

But I do think that multiple users are really needed on this.... i'd also like to have a "school" profile, then a "play" profile and be able to lock out certain apps until after a certain time of day :D

cjthebest
Jan 29, 2010, 08:19 PM
I love Mobicip, but it's not free. It's currently $4.99 for the base app - that gives you filtering on 3 groups. Elementary, Middle School & HIgh School, using the guidelines that most schools & libraries filter with. If you want more control - or want to allow or disallow certain sites, then you can buy a one year subscription for $9.99 on the website. That will let you have multiple devices with different levels, and a bunch of other stuff.

http://www.mobicip.com/

But I do think that multiple users are really needed on this.... i'd also like to have a "school" profile, then a "play" profile and be able to lock out certain apps until after a certain time of day :D
Thanks for the correction. I saw this picture and thought it was free.
http://docs.google.com/File?id=ajbjd5dn9f8q_113d7p4dxdx_b
Update: Also there are defiantly parental controls for the iPad. Here is proof.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/2010-01-29ipadsdksms-2.jpg

drshaws
Feb 2, 2010, 10:09 AM
Also really hoping that multi-user support is present. Would make a great pseduo-thin client for my aging parents - but I know they would not want to deal with each other's stuff.

Same goes for us here at home, too.

lordhamster
Feb 2, 2010, 10:23 AM
Granted all you super-nerds may have multiple user accounts set up on your home computer. However your average family shares a single OS user account. They'll deal.

onebitrocket
Feb 2, 2010, 10:49 AM

***bit of a rant first***
Apple have over looked the Multi-User and Family experience for most of their products so far. It's so frustrating. Take apple TV and the joke that is home sharing in itunes, they're all dependant on one computer or one apple id, it's really annoying. The" i" in iLife/itunes is very apt.

One fix around this would be to adapt the itunes authorisation for up to 5 computers to include different user/apple id's, so maybe i could authorise my two computers and then three family members who live in the same house.

Apple has failed to acknowledge that with in one household there could be more than one person buying content/apps/media with their own apple ID.
***rant over***

I hope some multi-user feature is in the works for the ipad and the apple experience as a whole.

With some family life apps for the ipod touch, iphone, laptops and desktops, and some tweaks to the mobileme set-up, the ipad could be apple's answer to the O2 joggler or a similar family digital diary.

mrgreen4242
Feb 2, 2010, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, I think Apple's version of multi-user support will be "go buy another one".

pubwvj
Feb 2, 2010, 05:20 PM
Good point. I've wondered how to handle this. I would like to get an iPad but don't want my six year old messing with my work files.

HiRez
Feb 24, 2010, 07:48 PM
This is something that's been bothering me the more I think about it. I haven't heard anything from Apple or even any rumors or leaks that address multiple users using the same iPad. Whether or not that's intended, it seems like a major oversight.

With a phone, I understand the single-user nature of it. But an iPad is supposed to be something you leave around the house: on the sofa, coffee table, by your bed, in the kitchen, or uh *cough* the bathroom. Which would really seem to imply it's meant for people to just have it convenient to pick it up and play with it. But that's a real problem if it's used by more than one person. Does that mean only one person can check their email? That everyone has to share apps? What about syncing?

An extension of this is what if you have a family with two or more iPads? Now I have to keep track of which one belongs to whom, and if I borrow the wrong one for something quick, it's going to sync to the wrong account.

In short, this could become a mess for many people unless they find a way to manage it.

A rundown of some of the issues I see:

• How could you switch accounts? I guess something like Fast Uer Switching. A while ago there was even a rumor that a front-facing camera could do face detection and assist with autoswitching.

• How is syncing dealt with? The "one device syncs to one and only one desktop computer" paradigm is starting to look pretty old and clunky. But admittedly, it's not a super simple software solution and I do understand Apple wants to keep things simple for the user.

• If the device is passcoded, is it a master passcode for everyone on the device or does everyone get their own?

• Can I share books (and possibly movie downloads) between multiple iPads and have them synced automatically to all the devices I'm registered on? Along with my bookmark(s)? This is a great feature of the Kindle and it'd be a shame if Apple can't make it work.

• Each user needs their own home screen and should be able to lay out their apps independently. But if an app is bought on one account, can other users on the same device use it? How would user preferences work in this situation (for example, two people would want their different game states saved on the same game).

• You can download an app you purchase for both an iPhone and an iPad. But can you download it to two iPads? I'm guessing not.

Bottom line is it's a shame if multiple iPads in a single house can't share data, and multiple users on a single iPad can't have their own setups. I know the answer is probably "Too complex and too many issues with content providers and DRM". Big drawback for me if they can't address it though.

dave1812dave
Feb 24, 2010, 08:00 PM
Multi-user will be a "deal breaker" for me. If I can't leave the iPad in my living room or rec room to be used by whoever in my family without mixing up email etc it will not be cost effective for me. I have an iPhone and i don't need another "personal" device. I hope they sort this out and announce something soon.

apple doesn't want it to be cost-effective for YOU. they want it to be a cash cow for THEM. That's one of the reasons it won't get Flash. that would mess up their revenue stream, aka iTunes App Store.

HiRez
Feb 24, 2010, 08:11 PM
Granted all you super-nerds may have multiple user accounts set up on your home computer. However your average family shares a single OS user account. They'll deal.

This seems exactly opposite of why multiuser should be supported. It's super-nerds who know how to deal with such a situation. "Normal" people do not, and it opens up all kinds of problems (whether desktop or iPad). Kids need to be blocked from certain web content but not the parents. What happens when sis or uncle Joe accidentally deletes your term paper or textbook notes? What about when little Stevie replies to an email by your boss on your work Exchange account, or declines a meeting invite? How about when he orders up $40,000 of music or apps on your iTunes account? Do you really want everybody's Safari bookmarks mixed in together? Do you want everyone reading everyone else's email (or responding to it, or deleting it)?

It's for just these kinds of things that I insisted my parents set up their own user accounts, and why I have one separate from my girlfriend on our desktop and laptop machines. I don't want anyone messing with my stuff and I don't want to have to weed through her cruft either. If someone else wants to keep their room messy, that's up to them, but I don't want to live in it. It works well.

In the long run, keeping separate user accounts makes things simpler for users, not more complex.

dave1812dave
Feb 24, 2010, 08:22 PM

hamster, did you just make that up as you went? I'd like to see one shred of evidence that "the average family" shares a single OS user account". Until then, I say "baloney".

4DThinker
Feb 25, 2010, 07:50 AM
One more area where Apple drops the ball. They make a device more than one family member would probably love to use. You may get your kids their own Touch at $199, but it's less likely each kid will have their own iPad at $499 and up. Anyone sending a kid to college would be smarter to get them a notebook or desktop PC for their dorm room. Another area where Apple fails to realize the potential of it's own device. A message for Steve: It's NOT an iPhone or a Touch. Sure, the iPhone OS was a smart place to start. PLEASE don't stop there.

EssentialParado
Feb 25, 2010, 08:30 AM
I can imagine Apple adding a user select screen with optional password support into OS 4.0. But there's not much reason to have it in the iPad at launch.

4DThinker
Feb 25, 2010, 05:45 PM
I keep forgetting one fact about Apple's devices. They are all "i"devices. Personal, private, single owner. A multi-user tablet from Apple would have to be the wePad, or ourPad. Apple might want to trademark those names. The way everyone else seems to be jumping on the tablet bandwagon we can expect Nintendo to come out with a WiiPad soon. ;)

Many thread here and elsewhere have trouble seeing the point of a tablet. For them it's the whyPad. ;)

thejakill
Feb 25, 2010, 05:58 PM
Sorry, kids. You'll have to wait until next year when ipad 2.0 comes out. Then daddy will let you have the old one.

That's what I did with my original iPhone.

Durious
Feb 25, 2010, 06:34 PM
I keep forgetting one fact about Apple's devices. They are all "i"devices. Personal, private, single owner. A multi-user tablet from Apple would have to be the wePad. Apple might want to trademark that name. They way everyone else seems to be jumping on the tablet bandwagon we can expect Nintendo to come out with a WiiPad soon. ;)

Many thread here and elsewhere have trouble seeing the point of a tablet. For them it's the whyPad. ;)

Best explanation ever! :)

macdim
Feb 25, 2010, 07:36 PM
I guess for email you could simply add different accounts for each user in the Mail app. So long as you don't mind others seeing your email.

Peanut207
Mar 8, 2010, 01:43 AM
Not having a multiple user account option would be a big disappointment. It would be nice to be able to leave the iPad laying around the house for family members or visitors to pick up and mess around with. However, if the iPad doesn't allow for multiple users it would not make this possible (for me at least)...or you would have to closely monitor the content you sync onto your iPad like pics, video etc. and who wants to let other people have complete access to your email? (I don't)

I will probably still get one, most likely the base 16GB wifi but it'll be a bummer not being able to let it sit around for everyone to pick up and enjoy.

Lara F
Mar 8, 2010, 12:49 PM

I love how nerd, geek, etc have become the new label for those not happy with the iPad. Give me a break. Not to mention that it's just plain wrong. Family members use separate accounts on both Windows and OSX. The iPad may not be extremely expensive but it's not so cheap as to be afforable for each person on average.

Night Spring
Mar 8, 2010, 12:56 PM
You can download an app you purchase for both an iPhone and an iPad. But can you download it to two iPads? I'm guessing not.

Apps can be installed on as many devices as you want, as long as they are synced to the same computer. So I would think yes, you can download apps to two iPads, if they sync to the same computer.

bossxii
Mar 8, 2010, 01:03 PM
I can see this questions going to SJ already...

Email to sjobs@apple.com

Hi Steve! Love the iPad and can't wait to buy it. I was wondering however if the iPad will support multiple users? My brother and I would like to share it.

SJ: Buy two...

Eso
Mar 8, 2010, 01:05 PM
So long as you don't mind others seeing your email.

Who would mind that? Let them delete email and even reply to email as if they were you too.

In fact, why do email services even require a password? :confused: You should just be able to enter your email address to log in to your account.

macdim
Mar 8, 2010, 01:07 PM
Who would mind that? Let them delete email and even reply to email as if they were you too.

In fact, why do email services even require a password? :confused: You should just be able to enter your email address to log in to your account.

I just meant that if you share the iPad in a family setting and your kids are older and trustworthy, there is no reason why someone who doesn't care about their family members seeing their email would need separate user accounts, from an email perspective anyway.

kerryn
Mar 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
We have a Macbook at home and we have multiple user accounts on it so it can switch settings from say my wife, to my children to myself. Very useful stuff.

This multiple user accounts is not on the iPhone OS as far as I am aware (we don't have one) but we do have an iPod touch and it's not on there. This is fine as these tend to be "personal" items.

I don't see the iPad as being a "personal" item though. If we were to get one it would be mainly for in the house usage, video for the kids etc. It could be used by anyone. Consequently I would rather hope for the ability to have user accounts so that I need not log out the previous user for all the apps individually just so that I can get mine apps working with my accounts. Trouble is, as this is iPhoneOS based I do not know if I can not this.

Anyone have any idea if the iPad will allow fast user switching between accounts?

Surely
Mar 25, 2010, 05:31 PM
It will work the same as the iPhone and iPod touch.

It uses the same OS.

/thread

saving107
Mar 25, 2010, 05:32 PM
currently the 3.2 software that the iPad has doesn't support Multiple Accounts, but that could change with the new 4.0 software later this summer.

spammerhamster
Apr 21, 2010, 07:18 AM
currently the 3.2 software that the iPad has doesn't support Multiple Accounts, but that could change with the new 4.0 software later this summer.

heard nothing about multiple accounts on the new 4.0. gotasource?

netdog
Apr 21, 2010, 08:19 AM
To those of you with so much concern that Apple must add multi-user capability.

Don't worry.

She already knows you like porn.

bosox2009
Apr 21, 2010, 08:27 AM
Just being able to password lock your email app would be sufficient. That way your 3 year old can't accidentally delete the important message your boss might have sent you earlier. Apps can be locked down if I am not mistaken, should the developer write in that capability.

rpryor
Jun 15, 2010, 07:32 PM
so what happens when you purchase 24 of them for a mobile lab at a school and need multiple user accounts to access storage, proxy, application, and other misc settings?

MrWillie
Jun 16, 2010, 09:42 AM
Just being able to password lock your email app would be sufficient. That way your 3 year old can't accidentally delete the important message your boss might have sent you earlier. Apps can be locked down if I am not mistaken, should the developer write in that capability.

Why must a 3 year old play with an iPad ? Why when guest come over do they have to play with your iPad ? What ever happened to social interaction ? Geeze. (Or don't sent up mail on the iPad. Use your home computer instead. Besides the mail app blows BIG chunks).

Why do you HAVE to buy any kids an iPhone or iPad ??? Teenagers ? Get them a Nano, if they want more, do like my mom use to do. Sing. " Get a job na na nanana "

Three year olds and iPads. I still can't get over that one.

This sent from my work issued Toshiba, because EVERY Apple laptop has a
$%@^$# built in camera. Not every facility allows cameras.

MacSiggy
Jun 16, 2010, 10:49 AM
Why must a 3 year old play with an iPad ? Why when guest come over do they have to play with your iPad ? What ever happened to social interaction ? Geeze. (Or don't sent up mail on the iPad. Use your home computer instead. Besides the mail app blows BIG chunks).

Why do you HAVE to buy any kids an iPhone or iPad ??? Teenagers ? Get them a Nano, if they want more, do like my mom use to do. Sing. " Get a job na na nanana "

What a ridiculous thing to say. Why shouldn't a 3 year old be allowed to play on it? There are plenty of child friendly apps out there. My 16 month old son likes to play on it. You need to move with the times, kids love this type of stuff and it's as much a part of growing up as learning how to use a pencil.

With regards to social interaction, that's one of iPad greatest assets, sharing with family and friends, rather than being tucked away in the study out of the way.

dazcox5181
Jun 16, 2010, 01:21 PM

This sent from my work issued Toshiba, because EVERY Apple laptop has a
$%@^$# built in camera. Not every facility allows cameras.

I may be wrong but guess you might not have children yet?
My 19month daughter loves the iPad-we read the books etc and she loves the drawing apps.

Kids are going to grow up with this stuff-and the interfaces seem to make sense right away (fitting the natural instinct to touch what you want)

MrWillie
Jun 16, 2010, 01:34 PM
What a ridiculous thing to say. Why shouldn't a 3 year old be allowed to play on it? There are plenty of child friendly apps out there. My 16 month old son likes to play on it. You need to move with the times, kids love this type of stuff and it's as much a part of growing up as learning how to use a pencil.

With regards to social interaction, that's one of iPad greatest assets, sharing with family and friends, rather than being tucked away in the study out of the way.

How about getting on the floor with the 16 month old or three year old and playing fire truck, or giving horse rides. Three year olds "accidentally" delete your e-mail because you give it to them, and then go about your business. Kind of like sticking a tape of that purple dinosaur in the vcr and telling them to behave while mommie or daddy entertains their b/f , g/f, or whatever. If they are sitting on your lap, while playing with that child friendly app, how does your important e-mail get deleted ?

Dude when I have people over, we don't sit around the computer, we work on an old car, fish, hunt, go four wheeling, or run a train on the neighbor lady.

Dude, change ain't always for the better ...

Yes I have three kids. The youngest is 18. Their mother was a stay at home mom. Granted during that time we didn't drive new cars, but the were raised by us, not a computer, tv, vcr, dvd player, or child care facility.

I may be wrong but guess you might not have children yet?
My 19month daughter loves the iPad-we read the books etc and she loves the drawing apps.

Kids are going to grow up with this stuff-and the interfaces seem to make sense right away (fitting the natural instinct to touch what you want)

The key word is WE. Because its WE, I doubt that she accidentally deletes your e-mails. You use it no differently than I used coloring books and story books with my kids.

Pushkar
Jun 16, 2010, 02:17 PM
Would love some Multi-User Support but don't know how it would work.

Would we have to re-authenticate every time? Seems long to me...

fatgit
Jun 16, 2010, 02:23 PM
My ipad gets passed around a lot.
People borrow it to check things online, have a go on a game etc. So far, I've trusted them not to pry where they shouldn't as I'm always there with them, but the ipad is turning into a piece of social hardware, and thus needs some form of multiple accounts, or access restrictions on it.

rpryor
Jun 17, 2010, 04:37 AM
ok but in all seriousness...we purchased 24 iPads for the use of a mobile lab in the classroom...we also have roughly 1000 users that will use it and we have an active directory infrastructure that folder redirects their personal folders on every desktop/netbook to the SAN storage device...as of current (iOS 3.x) there is no multi-user option and no remote storage allocation

they bought the iPads without any research and am now forced to "make it work"! it would truly be a blessing if they just had a lighter version of OSX on this thing than iOS!

Night Spring
Jun 17, 2010, 12:13 PM
ok but in all seriousness...we purchased 24 iPads for the use of a mobile lab in the classroom...we also have roughly 1000 users that will use it and we have an active directory infrastructure that folder redirects their personal folders on every desktop/netbook to the SAN storage device...as of current (iOS 3.x) there is no multi-user option and no remote storage allocation

they bought the iPads without any research and am now forced to "make it work"! it would truly be a blessing if they just had a lighter version of OSX on this thing than iOS!

Have you looked at:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

I do think iOS could use a native file management system, but a lighter OSX isn't the answer, because a lighter OSX wouldn't have multitouch support. Apple's priority with their i-devices is definitely to make them easy to use for single end users, and support for multi-user environments is an afterthought, if there are even any. I feel pretty sure they will eventually get there, seeing how iPhone is finally getting multitasking, but it may take several years!!!

Chris Blount
Jun 17, 2010, 12:43 PM
Sorry folks. The iPad IS a personal device. We have three of them in our family. Multi-user support would only cause issues especially with storage space. We all have our own picture libraries and itunes libraries. On one iPad, it would fill up fast. It's different when you have a Macbook pro with a 350GB hard drive.

Also, having our own iPads gives us privacy. They are all password protected. Multiuser support would mean an admin which would have access to everthing.

No thanks.

rpryor
Jun 17, 2010, 12:43 PM
Have you looked at:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

Already read those articles when our sales representative sent us the quote. Those articles only show for authentication of the device and very poorly.

Basically what I gathered from them is we would need to rip out all of the apps and place a shortcut app to a webpage for signing in which would than transfer a profile configuration to the device to allow for certain configurations. Still bad concept as the last profile will show up allowing for improper authentication if the user chooses not to goto the website to sign in as well as still no off-device storage location.

I only said a lightweight OSX because it would handle multi-user accounts much better but would be a huge drain on the resources (cpu and battery).

sapporobaby
Jun 17, 2010, 01:03 PM
Sorry folks. The iPad IS a personal device. We have three of them in our family. Multi-user support would only cause issues especially with storage space. We all have our own picture libraries and itunes libraries. On one iPad, it would fill up fast. It's different when you have a Macbook pro with a 350GB hard drive.

Also, having our own iPads gives us privacy. They are all password protected. Multiuser support would mean an admin which would have access to everthing.

No thanks.

Exactly Chris, rather than having to hear complaints over hogging the iPad, I just bought three of them. No big issues there.

rpryor
Jun 17, 2010, 01:15 PM
Exactly Chris, rather than having to hear complaints over hogging the iPad, I just bought three of them. No big issues there.

The problem with us is that if we wanted to give one to each student, it would cost us $345,000. Not something the taxpayers want to hear when they lack so many features, but hey must be nice to have your type of spending allowance!

So back to the discussion at hand. Multi-user and off-device storage settings, anyone? anyone? bueller?

sapporobaby
Jun 17, 2010, 01:23 PM
The problem with us is that if we wanted to give one to each student, it would cost us $345,000. Not something the taxpayers want to hear when they lack so many features, but hey must be nice to have your type of spending allowance!

So back to the discussion at hand. Multi-user and off-device storage settings, anyone? anyone? bueller?

I was not speaking in regards to an educational environment nor do I much care about it. I was speaking in response to Chris who made a comment about his situation, and yes I do have quite a large spending allowance from all the money I make on my job.

Seriously though, what my spending habits have to do with this escapes me.

rpryor
Jun 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
I was not speaking in regards to an educational environment nor do I much care about it. I was speaking in response to Chris who made a comment about his situation, and yes I do have quite a large spending allowance from all the money I make on my job.

Seriously though, what my spending habits have to do with this escapes me.

I know what you were referring to and it was a joke. However, my keyboard doesn't have a sarcasm key.

sapporobaby
Jun 17, 2010, 01:57 PM
Mine does. My keyboard is expensive. I have three of those too.

Sarcasm inserted. :)

rpryor
Jun 17, 2010, 02:40 PM
Mine does. My keyboard is expensive. I have three of those too.

Sarcasm inserted. :)

I lol'ed!

sapporobaby
Jun 17, 2010, 02:47 PM
I lol'ed!

Good. That was the intention. :)

Amazing Iceman
Jun 17, 2010, 05:13 PM
IMHO, I believe the iPad was designed to be a personal device, just as much as your notepad or personal diary, or your iPod.
The day will come when it will be affordable enough to have one for every family member.
That's why I seriously doubt Apple will add any multi-user features to it. They want it to stay clean and simple, just as easy to use as a book, so people of all ages would feel attracted to it.
:apple:

EDIT: (sorry if I was repetitive, I just found a similar post above)

rpryor
Jun 23, 2010, 03:01 PM
So does anyone know of any inside scoop as to if multiple user support (specifically domain infrastructure) will be in the iOS4 that may some day grace this device? If not multiple user support at least some type of app that would allow for off-device storage onto the SAN.

bosox2009
Jun 23, 2010, 10:45 PM
Did Mr. Willie really post "or run a train on the neighbor lady." I'm still laughing, even though I'm the one he dissed!

So password protecting the email app is a ridiculous suggestion?

mzajac
Sep 24, 2010, 11:38 PM
Dudes heard of Gmail?

What's the big deal? If your school doesn't have webmail for the kids, it doesn't matter because they all have webmail elsewhere. If your school doesn't have local storage, let them get a free Dropbox account. There's also Google docs, Flickr, Wordpress, etc.

The iPad is a thin client.

Teach them about password security.

EssentialParado
Sep 25, 2010, 05:05 AM
Basically what I gathered from them is we would need to rip out all of the apps and place a shortcut app to a webpage for signing in which would than transfer a profile configuration to the device to allow for certain configurations. Still bad concept as the last profile will show up allowing for improper authentication if the user chooses not to goto the website to sign in as well as still no off-device storage location.

Can't you ask all students to make sure they 'log off' (load a blank profile) when they're done? And if it isn't already done, instruct them to before using it. It's pretty much what I experienced in school... lots of computers would be left logged in by careless previous students.

Fmstrat
Mar 8, 2011, 07:11 PM

Here is a jailbreak application that is about to come out that supports multiple users/accounts on iPad, with all features (mail/web/applications/settings/etc): http://nowsci.com/userprofiles

Thanks,
B.

ARCHA1C
Apr 2, 2011, 06:55 AM

I bet these same super-nerds use customized presets for their car's power adjustable seats. Crazy nerds, all wanting a nice, personalized experience 'n' stuff.
Why can't you super-nerds just accept a moderately enjoyable and generic experience to save the poor Apple deelopers from having to add more features to their products (which are SO CHEAP they're practically giving them away).
Consumers are SO needy, amiright!?

kinpota
Jun 30, 2011, 08:29 AM
well, with my experience on the ipod touch i was sharing with family, i simply downloaded multiple email client apps for our different email, fortunately one of us used google and enabled pictures to be synced wirelessly via picasa, anyway i am sure there are similar ways of getting around an example like this....
as for little Johnny deleting documents etc, i am not certain but i am sure i came across an app locker at some point, google it!? :/

hope this helps.

APPLE GET YOUR ARSE INTO GEAR!!

cprail
Aug 6, 2011, 02:23 PM
There's nice multiuser browsers that do the trick now (works for my family!): Switch (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/switch-multi-user-web-browser/id403360095?mt=8) and Walled Browser (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/walled-browser-multi-user/id445292442?mt=8).

Seoboy123
Aug 22, 2011, 09:37 AM
U can get iUsers from Cydia.
But you will need to add the source: http://cydia.iblogeek.com/

mairoxo
Sep 26, 2011, 12:10 PM
Well, let's forget about if you want to share or not your iPad, let's say it is a personal thing for argument's sake. But then again, you have your personal iPad and for whatever reason you take it to work, because it just makes it easier if you will. A coworker asks you if he could check something real quick on safari... The polite way to do it would be to just lend the iPad to the guy and not make a big deal. But what if you have an online dating app? Or embarrassing pictures of you and your girlfriend, or whatever that you consider to be PERSONAL and don't want anyone to see? Well, the easy way to solve this would be multiple users, better yet if you could just punch in a different password and that would take you to a "children safe" profile... I think that would be sweet... Dont you?