PDA

View Full Version : What if Apple made wristwatches?

Doctor Q
Aug 23, 2004, 02:50 AM
Watches you buy at the mall tell time, but may also have multi-time-zone clocks, stopwatches, alarms, calculators, databases, TV remotes, and other goodies builtin. Fancier watches can do even more, but are less common.

Watches are a piece of consumer hardware with a lot of software built in. Not quite a hand-held device, but pretty close to it. A market that's rarely exciting or newsworthy. Almost everyone wants one, giving a small thought to style and function, and then forgetting about it as it travels around on your wrist. Watches are not thought of as something that would appear on newsmagazine covers or get much attention in popular culture.

But... what if Apple designers got involved and Apple entered this market? What would Apple styling produce? What killer app would Apple come up with? What would make everyone (or YOU specifically) run out and replace their current wristwatch with the new AppleWatch?

iMeowbot
Aug 23, 2004, 03:00 AM
Good question. There have been some Apple promotional watches, like a Think Different watch I have that turns anti-clockwise. Does anyone at Apple have a hand in designing these things? I have no idea.

[edit: and duh, the obvious occurs to me later; I hardly wear a watch lately because it's redundant with the iPod's menu clock.]

wdlove
Aug 23, 2004, 04:20 PM
I would be interested to see what Apple would design as a watch. Just like the iPod, I would take a look. At this point don't think I would have a use for anything more than just a regular watch. It seems that cell phones, iPod, & PDA already have the needed functions.

munkle
Aug 23, 2004, 04:37 PM
Wristwatches are definitely one of the products where less is more...I mean gizmo watches with hundreds of buttons are just so 80's!! :p

Timelessblur
Aug 23, 2004, 04:55 PM
I have to agree on watches less is more for the most part. There are times when a few extra gizmos in it are helpful. For the most part I choose a watch based on how well it stands up to the adbuse I give watches.

I like timex watches because they last about a year before I break them (30 bucks for 1 year is not bad for me).

Currently my main watch is a Gshock watch and it lasted me about over 2 years and I just had to replace the bands so far. It going ot need a new bat soon but for 100 bucks and it is still going strong haver 2 years I think it good

That reminds me I need to get my citzen watch fix I do need a formal watch for some stuff (something a apple watch just wouldn ot look right for so that one does not count there)

munkle
Aug 23, 2004, 04:59 PM
Was meant to be a mock up for an Apple branded mobile phone but thought some of you might like it!

musicpyrite
Aug 23, 2004, 05:05 PM
If Apple made a watch, it would run a stripped down version of OS X, have BlueTooth, 802.11g, be able to tell time in all 24 time zones - simultaneously (and some times zones on the moon), be used as a wireless mouse, and have a spring loaded contraption that shoots out of the wrist band to clean your butt.

link92
Aug 23, 2004, 05:09 PM
Didn't you forget 1GB of storage built-in?

sorryiwasdreami
Aug 23, 2004, 05:12 PM
Apple should definately team up with Swatch, the Swiss designer fashion watch maker. At the very least, Apple should let Swatch design a handful of new watch designs, coordinating with the various Apple computer models.

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2004, 05:20 PM
I'm sure that when Apple reads this post everyone there will be like "Hey, let's make a watch to prove him wrong yet again." Not to mention (though I'm mentioning it anyways) I think Apple already made a watch, or at least had watches made with their logo. I'm not too sure, watches belong in the clothing section, not really the media section...we did have that limited edition $499 iPod music jacket, so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple puts out a limited edition watch for maybe $70.

Macmaniac
Aug 23, 2004, 06:45 PM
They already have.........

jsw
Aug 23, 2004, 07:19 PM
Was meant to be a mock up for an Apple branded mobile phone but thought some of you might like it!Pretty cool - too small to ever be a mobile phone (at least in the near future), but a nice watch/iPod remote!

Wes
Aug 23, 2004, 07:34 PM
Some nice watches here, mainly conventional designs though.

http://www.redlightrunner.com/applewatches.html

http://store1.yimg.com/I/redlightrunner_1807_7623520 http://store1.yimg.com/I/redlightrunner_1804_5445719 http://store1.yimg.com/I/redlightrunner_1807_7666026
http://store1.yimg.com/I/redlightrunner_1805_3069437
http://store1.yimg.com/I/redlightrunner_1807_7650017
I like the last one the most.

Doctor Q
Aug 23, 2004, 07:37 PM
If we can't think of a killer app for the AppleWatch, we could suggest something simpler. Our AppleWatches might as well control our iPods and also iTunes on our Macs, so we don't have to bother using other gadgets for that.

I wonder if people who use dual monitors on their Macs would also be the ones to wear an AppleWatch on each wrist?

BrianKonarsMac
Aug 23, 2004, 07:38 PM
what a horrible, horrible idea.

my cellphone tells time.

my ipod tells time.

my powerbook tells time.

the guy sitting next to me tells time.

why would i want to wear a watch? this is the year 2004 is it not?

the only watch i would ever wear (if i wore jewelry) would be a nice rolex (or other top tier brand) for dress occasions, but then i'd want a pocket watch (far classier).

mattroberts
Aug 23, 2004, 07:50 PM
the only watch i would ever wear (if i wore jewelry) would be a nice rolex (or other top tier brand) for dress occasions, .

Believe me if apple decided to produce their own watch (not a branded one like they've done before)it would be a top tier watch. (plus i own a rolex and an omega- Rolex is not a all that great)

cheers
m

etoiles
Aug 23, 2004, 07:56 PM
Wristwatches are definitely one of the products where less is more...I mean gizmo watches with hundreds of buttons are just so 80's!! :p

no, this is an apple watch, there would still only be one button ;)

MacFan26
Aug 23, 2004, 08:05 PM
They already have.........
I have one of those watches, with the original apple logo on it. It's pretty cool, but it got pretty annoying. I have a DKNY watch now that I have had for three years and it's still in great shape.

stubeeef
Aug 23, 2004, 08:08 PM
WOW, holy crap batman,

What an awesome concept... You see I am a pilot, ergo.. I love watches and gadgets (my current watch www.yeswatch.com )

And yes it is true, the bigger the watch the smaller the......!

I would jump on a panther/tiger chronograph with BT/GPS/MP3/CDMA/802.11g compatable with BT trackball/ring that I could wear upside down in the palm of my hand and be able to thumb through the web. Oh yea and a compass in the stock!

The real question is can I get changable wristbands, but not in fruit. And can I get a spandex "Apple Man" superhero outfit too!!

Kidding aside I would have one in a heartbeat!

yoda13
Aug 23, 2004, 08:11 PM
Believe me if apple decided to produce their own watch (not a branded one like they've done before)it would be a top tier watch. (plus i own a rolex and an omega- Rolex is not a all that great)

cheers
m

I too own a Rolex and an Omega. I love my Omega, but I really love my Rolex. Why do you say that the Rolex is not all that great? I know we all have our opinions about watches, and that it is personal preference, but sounds like you have had a bad experience? What happened. Both my Seamaster and my GMT master are wonderful.

yoda13
Aug 23, 2004, 08:13 PM
The only possible drawback to Apple making a wristwatch would be that it would probably run so hot that it would burn your wrist :D

stubeeef
Aug 23, 2004, 08:20 PM
I too own an Omega (speedmaster), and plethera of watches, didn't buy the Rolex.. too predictable. Went ..."different".

Apple design, much like Bang & Olfsen, and a handful of others, would pump out an instant classic. I appreciate B&O in the same way as Apple, and they have branched out of traditional stereo to the likes of Telephones.

An Apple car, phone, watch, computer, & dawg would fit wonderfully in my "different" world

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2004, 08:21 PM
I wonder if people who use dual monitors on their Macs would also be the ones to wear an AppleWatch on each wrist?
Doctor Q, you're driving me up a wall, man, who are you asking? Still, from geek to geek, we both know who would use and wear one of those tech watches. It would light up in blue, use a high resolution, have a mini-bluetooth module, and would use the font Myriad Pro. (Though I can do without dual monitors.) But one thing I know about most of Apple's older products: Most of the hardware that gets discontinued doesn't come back to life.

Applexilef
Aug 23, 2004, 09:26 PM
Good question. There have been some Apple promotional watches, like a Think Different watch I have that turns anti-clockwise. Does anyone at Apple have a hand in designing these things? I have no idea.

I have one of those watches that goes "counterclockwise", but now you're telling me that Apple has one that goes "Anti-clockwise". I have to get one of those! :D :D :p

iMeowbot
Aug 23, 2004, 10:20 PM
I have one of those watches that goes "counterclockwise", but now you're telling me that Apple has one that goes "Anti-clockwise". I have to get one of those! :D :D :p
They're both acceptable, so is contraclockwise :p

Koodauw
Aug 23, 2004, 10:25 PM
A watches function is tell time. Some use it for style as well. I personally would love to see Apple team up with a fine watch maker, and make an elegant time peice, with somthing as simple as a white apple logo on the face. Simple and elegant. I would buy one.

As for Doc. Q's question, what could Apple add to a standard watch that would change the way we use a device (a la the iPod and digital music) ?

Maybe voice messaging. You could send and receive short voice messages via cell phone towers. Text messages / alerts as well.

Or maybe even a sensor to put put your computer to sleep when you leave the room, and to wake up when you return. Combine it with a digital home for lights and garage doors, and maybe you have something.

Although I think it would take new era of apple to create a watch that is worth while and will catch on. It took a digital revolution in music to make the iPod what it is.

macidiot
Aug 23, 2004, 11:13 PM
I too own a Rolex and an Omega. I love my Omega, but I really love my Rolex. Why do you say that the Rolex is not all that great? I know we all have our opinions about watches, and that it is personal preference, but sounds like you have had a bad experience? What happened. Both my Seamaster and my GMT master are wonderful.

Both Rolex and Omega are fine watches. But there are better out there. They just have big marketing budgets and prominent placement in Bond movies :) Also, they are seriously mass produced. Among serious watch people, Rolex and Omega are respected, but their mechanicals are considered fairly ordinary. Basically, nice watches, but nothing to write home about. In other words, your paying for the name. And I suppose, the bling factor... everyone that sees the words Omega or Rolex will know you dropped some bucks on the watch. But watches like Breguet, Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC, Vacheron, and a host of others are considered far more desirable and mechanically superior watches than either Rolex or Omega. Most are brands that most people have never heard about. Personally, I'm a fan of Zenith...they made(until recently) the movement(insides) of the Daytona. I also like Ulysses-Nardin..they make some really cool watches.

Of course, the best watches for telling time are quartz watches. A $25 Timex will keep better time than any Rolex. :eek:

munkle
Aug 23, 2004, 11:41 PM
no, this is an apple watch, there would still only be one button ;)

:D :p

Flynnstone
Aug 23, 2004, 11:54 PM
The only difference between a Windows & an Apple watch is that the Apple watch requires one less step to operate !

The Apple watch : look at watch , know the time.

A Windows watch : look at watch, question whether time is valid or watch has crashed. If it has crashed, ask person next time, know the time*.
If it hasn't crashed, question whether it is slow due to garbage collection.
Not sure, ask person next the time, know the time*.
Throw watch away to lessen stress.

* if the person you asked has a Windows watch, then ...

yoda13
Aug 24, 2004, 01:27 AM
Both Rolex and Omega are fine watches. But there are better out there. They just have big marketing budgets and prominent placement in Bond movies :) Also, they are seriously mass produced. Among serious watch people, Rolex and Omega are respected, but their mechanicals are considered fairly ordinary. Basically, nice watches, but nothing to write home about. In other words, your paying for the name. And I suppose, the bling factor... everyone that sees the words Omega or Rolex will know you dropped some bucks on the watch. But watches like Breguet, Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC, Vacheron, and a host of others are considered far more desirable and mechanically superior watches than either Rolex or Omega. Most are brands that most people have never heard about. Personally, I'm a fan of Zenith...they made(until recently) the movement(insides) of the Daytona. I also like Ulysses-Nardin..they make some really cool watches.

Of course, the best watches for telling time are quartz watches. A $25 Timex will keep better time than any Rolex. :eek:

My Rolex keeps as good time as my Brother's IWC. But I agree that the IWC is a more exclusive watch, and is for the connisieur (sp?), even more so then the Rolex. But I won't agree with you about the movement in the Rolex. I think that movements in the IWC and Rolex are better than the Omega. However, between me and my brother we own three Rolexes and two IWCs and the Rolexes movements are comparable to one IWC and actually keep time better than the other. His jeweler and mine both think equally well of the Rolex and IWC. However, neither one of them understand our obsession with the Omegas. But then again, they probably wouldn't understand our obsession with James Bond either. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinions ;)

Abstract
Aug 24, 2004, 02:29 AM
I like Breitling because of the way they look. :)

Rolex......don't like them. Its like an old man's watch. Everybody knows they're expensive, but who really looks at a watch, anyway? My watch gets more looks with my Tissot (a sweet looking watch that's nicer than many higher-end watches) than my friends and family do with their Tag's, Longines, Omega, and the rest. The face draws envy. :)