Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
A watches function is tell time. Some use it for style as well. I personally would love to see Apple team up with a fine watch maker, and make an elegant time peice, with somthing as simple as a white apple logo on the face. Simple and elegant. I would buy one.

As for Doc. Q's question, what could Apple add to a standard watch that would change the way we use a device (a la the iPod and digital music) ?

Maybe voice messaging. You could send and receive short voice messages via cell phone towers. Text messages / alerts as well.

Or maybe even a sensor to put put your computer to sleep when you leave the room, and to wake up when you return. Combine it with a digital home for lights and garage doors, and maybe you have something.

Although I think it would take new era of apple to create a watch that is worth while and will catch on. It took a digital revolution in music to make the iPod what it is.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
yoda13 said:
I too own a Rolex and an Omega. I love my Omega, but I really love my Rolex. Why do you say that the Rolex is not all that great? I know we all have our opinions about watches, and that it is personal preference, but sounds like you have had a bad experience? What happened. Both my Seamaster and my GMT master are wonderful.

Both Rolex and Omega are fine watches. But there are better out there. They just have big marketing budgets and prominent placement in Bond movies :) Also, they are seriously mass produced. Among serious watch people, Rolex and Omega are respected, but their mechanicals are considered fairly ordinary. Basically, nice watches, but nothing to write home about. In other words, your paying for the name. And I suppose, the bling factor... everyone that sees the words Omega or Rolex will know you dropped some bucks on the watch. But watches like Breguet, Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC, Vacheron, and a host of others are considered far more desirable and mechanically superior watches than either Rolex or Omega. Most are brands that most people have never heard about. Personally, I'm a fan of Zenith...they made(until recently) the movement(insides) of the Daytona. I also like Ulysses-Nardin..they make some really cool watches.

Of course, the best watches for telling time are quartz watches. A $25 Timex will keep better time than any Rolex. :eek:

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
The only difference between a Windows & an Apple watch is that the Apple watch requires one less step to operate !

The Apple watch : look at watch , know the time.

A Windows watch : look at watch, question whether time is valid or watch has crashed. If it has crashed, ask person next time, know the time*.
If it hasn't crashed, question whether it is slow due to garbage collection.
Not sure, ask person next the time, know the time*.
Throw watch away to lessen stress.

* if the person you asked has a Windows watch, then ...

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
macidiot said:
Both Rolex and Omega are fine watches. But there are better out there. They just have big marketing budgets and prominent placement in Bond movies :) Also, they are seriously mass produced. Among serious watch people, Rolex and Omega are respected, but their mechanicals are considered fairly ordinary. Basically, nice watches, but nothing to write home about. In other words, your paying for the name. And I suppose, the bling factor... everyone that sees the words Omega or Rolex will know you dropped some bucks on the watch. But watches like Breguet, Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC, Vacheron, and a host of others are considered far more desirable and mechanically superior watches than either Rolex or Omega. Most are brands that most people have never heard about. Personally, I'm a fan of Zenith...they made(until recently) the movement(insides) of the Daytona. I also like Ulysses-Nardin..they make some really cool watches.

Of course, the best watches for telling time are quartz watches. A $25 Timex will keep better time than any Rolex. :eek:

My Rolex keeps as good time as my Brother's IWC. But I agree that the IWC is a more exclusive watch, and is for the connisieur (sp?), even more so then the Rolex. But I won't agree with you about the movement in the Rolex. I think that movements in the IWC and Rolex are better than the Omega. However, between me and my brother we own three Rolexes and two IWCs and the Rolexes movements are comparable to one IWC and actually keep time better than the other. His jeweler and mine both think equally well of the Rolex and IWC. However, neither one of them understand our obsession with the Omegas. But then again, they probably wouldn't understand our obsession with James Bond either. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinions ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I like Breitling because of the way they look. :)

Rolex......don't like them. Its like an old man's watch. Everybody knows they're expensive, but who really looks at a watch, anyway? My watch gets more looks with my Tissot (a sweet looking watch that's nicer than many higher-end watches) than my friends and family do with their Tag's, Longines, Omega, and the rest. The face draws envy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.