PDA

View Full Version : What Apps are you most excited to see iPad versions?

blue2noise
Jan 30, 2010, 06:47 PM
I was just thinking about what apps could become 10x better with the iPad resolution. What are yours? For me it would have to be:

Jaadu VNC
Four track (maybe 8 track now?)
ReelDirector
Screenplay

and of course, the games!

pik.
Jan 30, 2010, 07:00 PM
photoshop
GIMP.:D

alansmallen
Jan 30, 2010, 07:00 PM
Movie slate applications. Now this can replace 4,000 dollar time code slates.

Yr Blues
Jan 30, 2010, 07:23 PM
watching movie and surfing the web.....probably not going to record music on it.....

maybe play with the painting program

SteveNewton
Jan 30, 2010, 07:47 PM
I forgot where I read it from but board games would be great on the iPad!

musicpenguy
Jan 30, 2010, 08:55 PM
WritePad - will be killer - finally with a stylus a Newton replacement for me - text recognition is awesome for the iPhone and can't wait to have a larger screen to utilize!!

Evernote - they are making a custom version and will love documents at life size and using Evernote as my eReader device :)

Sketches!!!

Games - all of the great graphic intensive games I've boughten already like Doom Resurrection - finally I will start playing these games that I quickly put down do to screen size

Logos Bible Study Software

TomTom - will be fun to see it in full screen mode :)

dougbrowne
Jan 30, 2010, 08:56 PM
photoshop
GIMP.:D
+10000! Seriously. That would be absolutely awesome to have nice versions of PS and/or GIMP on it

Other than that..
-Facebook.. lol
-LogMeIn Ignition

I really hope that developers rethink their apps for the iPad as apple did for Mail, Calendar, etc. Instead of just porting over a "bigger" version.

4DThinker
Jan 30, 2010, 08:59 PM
Flat on a coffee table digital versions of board games to share would be great. I can invision versions upgraded to add animations and web references to take advantage of the iPad's capabilities.

marksman
Jan 30, 2010, 09:03 PM
Flat on a coffee table digital versions of board games to share would be great. I can invision versions upgraded to add animations and web references to take advantage of the iPad's capabilities.

Checkers and chess games you could just lay down and slide the pieces across would be very cool.

I am really looking forward to the MLB app because it was so amazing on the iPhone. I haven't given it a lot of thought yet, but I think the bigger screen is going to make a massive difference with what we can see done. Including a much improved interface allowed because of the bigger screen size.

master-ceo
beatmaker
Akai SynthStation

bobsentell

Monopoly, risk, Axis and Allies, Chess, Checkers. They would make great games.

MyJelleo
Jan 30, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to an iPad version of Beejive and LogMeIn. My mobile experience will be complete then.

NeuralControl
Jan 30, 2010, 09:17 PM
I'm looking forward to a drum pad application that is compatible with GarageBand and Logic. Musicians would not have to buy a separate MIDI controller to program drum beats. If an application came like that came out (maybe even Apple could create a GarageBand app for iPad), I would certainly buy an iPad this summer.

jlasoon
Jan 30, 2010, 09:34 PM
MLB app. <-----------------------Will buy iPad just for 12 HD games every night at my fingertips on a gorgeous screen. :eek:

Chaos123x
Jan 30, 2010, 09:36 PM
Adobe Creative Suite.

iLife

Some type of photography sales program.

bobsentell
Jan 30, 2010, 09:37 PM
MLB app. <-----------------------Will buy iPad just for 12 HD games every night at my fingertips on a gorgeous screen. :eek:

If the SEC or NCAA made a football version of the MLB.com app, that alone would convince me to buy it.

YOU HEAR THAT APPLE? I AM AN AVID PC USER WHO WOULD BUY YOUR iPAD IF THE NCAA OR SEC HAD AN APP SIMILAR TO THE MLB.com APP!

Apple could own the Southeast if that happened.

ScaryRobot
Jan 30, 2010, 09:40 PM
Multitouch professional video editing would be a dream come true. We'll probably have to wait for the fourth generation iPad or something before the hardware is up to it, but really, imagine having the tablet on your lap with a touch-based editing interface, monitoring your video on an HDTV via Mini DisplayPort, hooked up to fast external storage via Light Peak. (Too much of the criticism of the iPad IMO is focused on what it is at this instant, with no understanding of the amazing long-term potential this platform has.)

SeattleMoose
Jan 30, 2010, 09:51 PM
The iPad could easily replace sheet music for performing musicians. I see myself with the iPad on a music stand scrolling big lyrics/chords as I play to MP3 backing tracks.

Also, when practicing with the band I see the "Scroller App" projected onto the wall so all the guys can see the lyrics/chords when we are learning new stuff.

THAT would REALLY be great!!!!!:D

bndoarn
Jan 30, 2010, 09:55 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet but I think Pianist (or any other instrument app for that matter) would be great on the iPad. It's great on the iPod touch/iPhone when you're playing one note at a time but when you need to play more than one note at a time, which is most of the time, the screen is just too small. I also think Sims 3 would be pretty cool on the iPad.

Doju
Jan 30, 2010, 09:55 PM
Tweetie, Jaadu, Beejive, Facebook and games in general, to start.

Imagine playing monopoly as a family on the iPad, just like it was the board game but more interactive.

Chaos123x
Jan 30, 2010, 09:59 PM
Could imagine a virtual control surface for programs running on Mac Pro. (pro-tools, logic, Final Cut). Think about all audio fader and such.

NeuralControl
Jan 30, 2010, 10:01 PM
Could imagine a virtual control surface for programs running on Mac Pro. (pro-tools, logic, Final Cut). Think about all audio fader and such.

And synth pads, drum pads, guitar effects processors...the list goes on and on. I'm looking forward to all this.

ScaryRobot
Jan 30, 2010, 10:01 PM

A lot of people are thinking along similar lines (http://prolost.com/blog/2010/1/27/make-movies-with-apple-ipad.html).

I'm actually in pro video, and I'm pretty excited about the impact more fluid interface could have on the creative process.

JoshJosh117
Jan 30, 2010, 10:03 PM
That sketching app that was demoed at the event.

Casiotone
Jan 30, 2010, 10:11 PM
Apps like BeatMaker, Nois.io Pro, miniSynth. I'm really looking forward to see what can be done with synthesizer apps running on the iPad.

(Edit: I just realized that a few people posted similar ideas while I was composing this post).

marksman
Jan 30, 2010, 10:33 PM
I would love to see a real client for an MMORPG. Be it a client for an existing or new game, or an MMORPG that is built around an iPad client.

(and I am not talking about the Storm8 kind of games who misuse the label of mmog/mmorpg)

DrStrange
Jan 30, 2010, 10:53 PM
a vmware/parallels app that I can use to run Mac OS X/Windows/Linux/etc.
:cool:

Paul B
Jan 31, 2010, 03:01 AM
A bigger/better version of DoodleJump :D

greygray
Jan 31, 2010, 03:07 AM
ifart and the Beer app. So the beer will take a longer time to be consumed.

Chaos123x
Jan 31, 2010, 03:08 AM
How about a Flash player app?

MythicFrost
Jan 31, 2010, 04:27 AM
I think all App's will be fantastic on the larger screen, but my favourites would be:

N.O.V.A
Dungeon Hunter
Red Alert
FaceBook
Need For Speed
Shrek Kart
Cocoto Online
Pocket god
Jelly Car (/ &= 2)
Sims 3
Monopoly
League of Legends (please)
Warcraft 3 TFT (please)

The iPad can seriously be considered a gaming device, once people start making high quality Racing/RPGs/Strategies/FPS games, which I imagine will be soon.
If there are enough of them, I won't need computer games anymore! I'd love some kind of MMORPG for the iPad!

riyadc
Jan 31, 2010, 04:33 AM
A Comic book reader (comicreader.mobi or comiczeal)
RTSes (Warcraft Starcraft Age of Empires etc)
Old School Lucasarts Adventure Games
Jaadu VNC

helix21
Jan 31, 2010, 04:43 AM
Evernote!!

Dropbox

monopoly

some sort of note app so I can use a capacitive stylus

nova! (there I know but he said later this year which I don't like)

annotation like preview app for PDF!! (invaluable as a student)

VNC client

GermanSuplex
Jan 31, 2010, 04:56 AM
Point and click adventures. I already have Monkey's Island, but think it will be much more fun on the iPad than the iPhone.

Inked
Jan 31, 2010, 04:58 AM
Madden NFL
Pocket God
MyComics
Brushes

-Ryan-
Jan 31, 2010, 05:05 AM
Other than that..
-Facebook.. lol

There's no point in a Facebook App for the iPad. It's got a big enough screen and enough power to comfortably use the full website. :rolleyes:

rekhyt
Jan 31, 2010, 05:09 AM
I would love to see a real client for an MMORPG. Be it a client for an existing or new game, or an MMORPG that is built around an iPad client.

(and I am not talking about the Storm8 kind of games who misuse the label of mmog/mmorpg)

Gotta hate those type of games. Graal Online/Classic could be kinda what you could label a MMORPG, but it kinda lags. Not really a good experience though.

speed12
Jan 31, 2010, 05:14 AM
If Dropbox can work their magic again and create a version of the (already brilliant and very useful) iPhone app for iPad which takes advantage of the 'file system' on it then that would be incredibly useful....access literally all your files wherever.....but be able to edit docs, spreadsheets and presentations as well (using iWork...or whatever really if they can access the files).

I really like the idea of board games someone mentioned above....I can imagine that could be a pretty big market actually.

Other apps I'm looking forward to/hoping will be 'reinvigorated':

Evernote (confirmed new version for iPad)
2Do (apparently they will be doing an iPad version)
Spotify (more like the desktop version hopefully)
Wordpress
Bento (again, more like the desktop version)
FourTrack (if they can incorporate some more of Riffworks features it could be a superb mobile recording unit)
Worms
Red Alert
Monkey Island

Quite a lot really!

master-ceo
Jan 31, 2010, 05:14 AM
I'm looking forward to a drum pad application that is compatible with GarageBand and Logic. Musicians would not have to buy a separate MIDI controller to program drum beats. If an application came like that came out (maybe even Apple could create a GarageBand app for iPad), I would certainly buy an iPad this summer.

+1

I also want to see a stand alone WAV editing app that can slice and chop like
recycle

+1

GermanSuplex
Jan 31, 2010, 05:20 AM
There's no point in a Facebook App for the iPad. It's got a big enough screen and enough power to comfortably use the full website. :rolleyes:

I prefer the app to the full website.

Plus, the app has controls designed for the iPad.

Xenoxide
Jan 31, 2010, 06:12 AM
TextMate, for when I want to do some coding. :D

StingerT125
Jan 31, 2010, 07:32 AM
The iPad could easily replace sheet music for performing musicians. I see myself with the iPad on a music stand scrolling big lyrics/chords as I play to MP3 backing tracks.

Also, when practicing with the band I see the "Scroller App" projected onto the wall so all the guys can see the lyrics/chords when we are learning new stuff.

THAT would REALLY be great!!!!!:D

This is on my wish list too!

master-ceo
Jan 31, 2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I can most definitely see tons of Artist using it writing lyrics and music, and taking it into the booth to record.

Watch somebody make a ipad stand for the studio.

Julien
Jan 31, 2010, 09:14 AM
If the SEC or NCAA made a football version of the MLB.com app, that alone would convince me to buy it.

YOU HEAR THAT APPLE? I AM AN AVID PC USER WHO WOULD BUY YOUR iPAD IF THE NCAA OR SEC HAD AN APP SIMILAR TO THE MLB.com APP!

Apple could own the Southeast if that happened.

Does Apple own the NCAA or does YELLING at Apple cause Apple to YELL at the NCAA to make an App?:D ...and if Apple buys and owns the Southeast do I pay my mortgage and water bill to Apple.:confused:

Gymgenius
Jan 31, 2010, 09:18 AM
Citrix Receiver for me, so I can connect to my work's desktop and not have to bother lumping my lappy home!

sishaw
Jan 31, 2010, 09:27 AM
A Hulu.com app--because I believe 90% of the people complaining about the "no Flash" stand are mainly worried about Hulu, and an app would mean 90% less complainers on Macrumors. Then Farmville, to take care of 8 of the remaining 10%.

JoshJosh117
Jan 31, 2010, 09:32 AM
A Hulu.com app--because I believe 90% of the people complaining about the "no Flash" stand are mainly worried about Hulu, and an app would mean 90% less complainers on Macrumors. Then Farmville, to take care of 8 of the remaining 10%.

Definitely a Hulu app, I'd buy that. Just hope that Apple would not reject it.

alansmallen
Jan 31, 2010, 09:41 AM
Definitely a Hulu app, I'd buy that. Just hope that Apple would not reject it.

Ya, I would easily pay up to like 20 bucks on that guy. Maybe more if they decide to not charge for service in the future.

G4R2
Jan 31, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm interested in seeing multiuser networked applications with both iPad and iPhone/Touch companion clients working together.

A simple example of this might be a poker game in which the iPad application displays the table with all bets and the iPhone client displays the hand to each player.

Another example might be an RPG style game in which the iPhone/Touch clients provide the 1st person view and character attributes and the iPad shows the overhead map.

A football (or baseball) game, reminiscent of the Mattel handhelds from my adolescence, would be an example of this as well. Offensive and defensive plays would be displayed on the iPhone clients and the gameplay would be simulated on the iPad.

Productivity applications would also benefit from this type of function. For instance an image editing app might pull real time images from an iPhones camera and be displayed on the iPad. Once the image is selected for editing the iPhone would become the paint palette or toolbox and the iPad would be used full screen for editing.

bndoarn
Jan 31, 2010, 09:58 AM

I thought the same thing at first but if you really think about it, the app is designed for your finger while the website is designed for a mouse. Which would be better on the iPad?

CrackedButter
Jan 31, 2010, 10:02 AM

Don't forget that Hulu means nothing outside the US. It isn't that much of a big deal overall.

In answer to the original question. I would like Settlers to be on a bigger screen, as well as the Guardian App, Classics, Underworlds, Blimp, Civilisation (as well as fix all the other problems it has),

alansmallen
Jan 31, 2010, 10:04 AM
Don't forget that Hulu means nothing outside the US. It isn't that much of a big deal overall.

In answer to the original question. I would like Settlers to be on a bigger screen, as well as the Guardian App, Classics, Underworlds, Blimp, Civilisation (as well as fix all the other problems it has),

But if you look at the amount of US sales of apple products over the total amount, I think it's probably majority.

bobob
Jan 31, 2010, 11:24 AM
For me, the first App I will load onto my iPad will be:

Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor (http://toucharcade.com/2009/08/11/spider-the-secret-of-bryce-manor-a-wonderfully-imaginative-game/)

Since discovering it late last year, I have found it to be a wonderful use of the touchscreen technology and the most enchanting game I've played in years. I can't wait to spin some webs on the iPad's gigantic touchscreen!

http://gadgets.emedia.com.my/img/SpiderBryceApple.jpg

CrackedButter
Jan 31, 2010, 11:38 AM
But if you look at the amount of US sales of apple products over the total amount, I think it's probably majority.

I think the more accurate question to ask is, how many mac users use Hulu? We're already around the 10% mark in terms of overall market share. So any numbers are a percentage of the first percentage

Sketh
Jan 31, 2010, 11:52 AM
I would like Settlers to be on a bigger screen

I'm right there with you.

Otherwise I'm pretty excited to hear that they're bringing Majesty to the iPad.

Super Monkey Ball
GTA Chinatown Wars
Photoshop
Digsby
Torchlight
AudioSurf
Braid

thejakill
Jan 31, 2010, 12:11 PM
Things
Pages
just having all my iphone apps bigger will be cool, too.

MikeyTree
Jan 31, 2010, 04:55 PM
And synth pads, drum pads, guitar effects processors...the list goes on and on. I'm looking forward to all this.
That would be awesome. If I could plug my m-audio fast track into an ipad, and use it to record my guitar with effects, I'd by that program in an instant.

Diet Pepsi
Jan 31, 2010, 05:27 PM
Definitely MLB.

NY Times and I would like to see Pogo.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 31, 2010, 05:35 PM
Don't mock that...Coda (http://www.panic.com/coda/) is on top of my wish list... ;)

bearcatrp
Jan 31, 2010, 05:52 PM
PRoN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Seriously, Typhoon of steel war game! And other older SSI titles. Command and Conquor too.

mrgreen4242
Jan 31, 2010, 06:30 PM
YES! I can't wait for a comic reader on the iPad. ComicReader.mobi is the best iPhone/iPod comic app, but only for the auto-zoom feature, which wouldn't be needed on the iPad. ComicZeal has a better interface, imo. I would really like to see some sort of good online eComic store... I wonder if iBooks will get comics?

If Dropbox can work their magic again and create a version of the (already brilliant and very useful) iPhone app for iPad which takes advantage of the 'file system' on it then that would be incredibly useful....access literally all your files wherever.....but be able to edit docs, spreadsheets and presentations as well (using iWork...or whatever really if they can access the files).

DropBox is a must, I agree, if it can work with the shared folder area...

I was saying this the other day. TextMate with an integrated FTP client would be really handy for web development work (I figure that the usefulness of non-web based coding would be lower it is unlikely you could compile and test other code on the iPad.

goobot
Jan 31, 2010, 07:03 PM
games and productivity. tho i feel all app will be bigger and badder on the ipad. i just hate the damn microsim!!!!!

kRobbin
Feb 4, 2011, 09:42 AM
Movie slate applications. Now this can replace 4,000 dollar time code slates.

I'm interested in Movie Slate but it's a bit pricey so I'd like some more feedback, anybody else use it? Likes & Dislikes?

Acorn
Feb 4, 2011, 04:18 PM
there isnt a ipad version but i would like to see torchlight 2 on the ipad. it would be really fun.

Davydd
Feb 9, 2011, 07:50 PM
This was an old thread revived. After a year most requests seemed to have been granted.

My one request is a version of Google's Sketchup 3D.

EazyWeazy3
Feb 10, 2011, 12:50 AM
I want the old school Oregon Trail on the iPad.

Not the one they have for the iPhone, the REAL Oregon Trail that everyone played back in elementary school.

Alvi
May 26, 2011, 02:34 PM
AudioSurf

Has anyone found something similar to Audiosurf for iPad?