PDA

View Full Version : What desktop apps would you like to see on the iPad?

str1f3
Apr 10, 2010, 04:33 PM
Just out of curiosity and hopefully the devs are listening.

jons
Apr 10, 2010, 04:38 PM
Just out of curiosity and hopefully the devs are listening.

Some kind of CS lite, that allows basic editing of PSD, AI, and InDesign files. That would be fantastic.

Direct printing from within apps would be great.

Otherwise, I think everything is pretty much covered, for me at least.

str1f3
Apr 10, 2010, 04:54 PM
Some kind of CS lite, that allows basic editing of PSD, AI, and InDesign files. That would be fantastic.

Direct printing from within apps would be great.

Otherwise, I think everything is pretty much covered, for me at least.

Off the top of my head I can think of:

-PDFpen (edits PDFs which would allow you to fill out forms, etc.; the touchscreen could also be handy for signatures)

-Picturesque (minor photo editing app)

-Skitch (minor photo editing app with upload to their free hosting site)

-iMovie and GarageBand

-possibly a full Boxee app with the ability to stream from your desktop. Could even use the Boxee remote iPhone app to control the app.

harry*333
Apr 10, 2010, 04:59 PM
some basic version of photoshop
imovie, iweb, and some kind of basic file viewer such as Preview(with ability to take screen recordings)

mobilebuddha
Apr 10, 2010, 05:04 PM
An app that will automatically sync files between iPad and online storage like dropbox/etc, with editing and saving of word/xls/PDF/ppt would be amazing. For now I am surviving with goodreader. One big improvement that good reader could have would be 1 button sync of all files on dropbox and iPad, with directories.

Hopefully dropbox comes out with a great iPad app to fill that need.

markosb
Apr 10, 2010, 05:10 PM
Photoshop, Lightroom, Indesign. Right now I would love something to tag images and some basic website creator.

str1f3
Apr 10, 2010, 05:12 PM
some basic version of photoshop
imovie, iweb, and some kind of basic file viewer such as Preview(with ability to take screen recordings)

Good points about iWeb and screen recording.

One thing that I've noticed about iPad apps early on is that there are too many iPhone ports. I've got 10-12 photo editing apps, each for a single purpose, and it seems like the iPad is screaming for a suite (or a desktop caliber app) for different categories of apps when you consider the screen size.

ImperialX
Apr 10, 2010, 05:13 PM
Like everyone else, I'd love to have Photoshop of some kind.

HiRez
Apr 10, 2010, 05:31 PM
If you mean straight ports of desktop apps, probably none, the experience would be terrible in most cases. But if you mean a re-imagining of those desktop apps for the iPad, I can think of lots. Xcode would be first on my list, even if only Cocoa Touch apps were supported. Lightroom would be great, but doing non-destructive RAW processing would probably bring the A4 CPU to its knees, so that might not be realistic (not sure how hard it is to offload RAW processing onto the GPU though, that could help a lot). Others would be TextWrangler, Transmit, iMovie, Garage Band, Firefox (love Safari but a few sites work better in FF),and Chronosync (if iPad ever gets a file system of some kind). There's other stuff I could dream about like After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, and Cinema 4D, but those are huge resource hogs that require expansive interfaces, it'd be a gigantic challenge to make those usable on iPad.

xraydoc
Apr 10, 2010, 06:53 PM
Word. Or at least something more compatible than Pages.

Apple Expert
Apr 10, 2010, 06:55 PM
Microsoft Office and some Adobe CS titles. Having iLife would be nice too. :D

Rayban
Apr 10, 2010, 09:49 PM
I'd love to see iWeb!

hchavarria
Apr 10, 2010, 09:52 PM
My number one app request would be a real Quicken app for iPad and iPhone. I hated their online stuff and don't like Mint.

JajoPGH
Apr 10, 2010, 09:54 PM
Soulseek :eek:

Dillenger
Apr 10, 2010, 10:09 PM
OneNote, but since MS won't even make it for the regular Mac OS, I seriously doubt it would make it to the iPad. I'm hoping at SOHO notes or Circus Ponies - Notebook will be rewritten.

master-ceo
Apr 10, 2010, 10:10 PM
Propellerhead Recycle
Soundforge
Audacity
FL Studio (fruityloops)
JJ Sequencer
Ableton Live
Photoshop

mbell75
Apr 10, 2010, 10:13 PM
I would just like a USB port and the ability to multi task.

G4R2
Apr 10, 2010, 10:23 PM
Some ports I'd like to see:

iWeb
iMovie
Aperture (or at least a linked light table/companion app)
OpenOffice

And some games:

Populous
Homeworld

I'd also like to see both Rev and Dashcommand ported from the iPhone. These apps link up to my cars OBD II port wirelessly through the Kiwi wifi connector and allow me to monitor real time information, diagnostics, as well as reset error codes. The iPads larger display would be incredible for these types of apps.

Jaro65
Apr 11, 2010, 12:34 AM
MS Office, for sure.

Socalsnail
Apr 11, 2010, 12:56 AM
Quickbooks

gillybean
Apr 11, 2010, 01:40 AM
Microsoft Word
VLC Media Player
Runescape

redman042
Apr 11, 2010, 08:48 AM
MS Office, for sure.

+1

Or at least a 3rd party alternative that keeps the original formatting intact. Until that happens, the iPad has limited usefulness for work in my case. I have to believe we'll see something fairly soon. In fact, there IS such an app in the store already - Office2 Pro. Looks kinda rough right now but a good start.

tooz
Apr 11, 2010, 09:01 AM
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

;)

DKatri
Apr 11, 2010, 09:15 AM
Propellerhead Recycle
Soundforge
Audacity
FL Studio (fruityloops)
JJ Sequencer
Ableton Live
Photoshop

YES!!!

although I do like the idea of using the iPad as a controller like the Novation LaunchPad.

Also I'd like to see MacJournal do an iPad app, I have the desktop and the iPhone app and both are really nice but an iPad app would be cool.

tys
Apr 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
iPhoto! Is sucks to have to go back to an old fashioned computer to organize, tag, and edit photos in my library. These could be done easily on the iPad.
I'd also love to see something like mapmyride.com, where I could plot out biking routes on a map. It currently doesn't work in the iPad browser.

darngooddesign
Apr 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
Lego Digital Designer

Spudracer
Apr 11, 2010, 10:45 AM
I fail to understand why people insist on ruining a slick content delivery tablet (iPad) with desktop applications. If you want to to do heavy duty content creation grab a MacPro or MacBook Pro. Honestly, I can't believe there are people who think they can run something like iMovie and edit video files on an iPad. Apparently, a lot of people just fundamentally do not understand what the iPad is (or isn't).

RunOverProducti
Apr 11, 2010, 10:46 AM
iWeb

CristobalHuet
Apr 11, 2010, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking iLife has to somehow make it onto the iPad for it to sever more ties from the computer, especially since it's a "media consumption" device, give us tools to do it!

LouisBlack
Apr 11, 2010, 10:48 AM
Classic RTSs like Starcraft and C&C would work beautifully on the big screen.

str1f3
Apr 11, 2010, 01:22 PM
I fail to understand why people insist on ruining a slick content delivery tablet (iPad) with desktop applications. If you want to to do heavy duty content creation grab a MacPro or MacBook Pro. Honestly, I can't believe there are people who think they can run something like iMovie and edit video files on an iPad. Apparently, a lot of people just fundamentally do not understand what the iPad is (or isn't).

It can't run professional video and photo editing suites but it can run many desktop apps. There doesn't have to be a full version of iMovie. Reel Director on the iPhone has already proved that video editing on these devices is possible.

Another example us iPhoto. Faces isn't a necessary feature to have on the iPad but it shouldn't be too hard to add Places and to be able to rename photos.

I think you overestimate a users' needs especially when you look at was already possible on the iPhone.

Fakejohnsculley
Apr 11, 2010, 01:27 PM
some games: halo, quake, etc.

GregGebhardt
Apr 11, 2010, 01:32 PM
I would like to see a Office app that does full editing/creating of .doc files. Not a MAC numbers or words app fan!

Give the app people some time and I think we will see more software available for the iPad than the iPhone. It is only a matter of time and we can all expect the iPad to be improved upon on a regular basis.

Entopia7
Apr 11, 2010, 02:14 PM
As far as applications go, I don't have any ideas that haven't been mentioned. I would, however, love sone kind of viewer application for my Sibelius scores that would allow for a limited amount of editing (transposition, etc.). I'd also love a viewer for my Pyware 3d files that would enable them to animate within the application.

I know I can accomplish some of these things with PDFs and video files, but it would be wonderful to eliminate the middle-man, so to speak.

iMacmatician
Apr 11, 2010, 02:22 PM
Grapher

Rick in NC
Jul 9, 2010, 05:11 PM
As far as applications go, I don't have any ideas that haven't been mentioned. I would, however, love sone kind of viewer application for my Sibelius scores that would allow for a limited amount of editing (transposition, etc.). I'd also love a viewer for my Pyware 3d files that would enable them to animate within the application.

I know I can accomplish some of these things with PDFs and video files, but it would be wonderful to eliminate the middle-man, so to speak.

Same here. It would be great to be in the practice field and change drill on the fly.