PDA

View Full Version : PB crashes 10X a day

njmac
Nov 12, 2004, 08:10 AM
I have a 12" 1GHz PB. My PB freezes up during all the usual applications: mail, safari, itunes, anything really. It did start after I installed, Crucial 512 MB ram, Apple Production Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office 2004. I ran disk utility, reset pram, and daily/weekly/monthly maintenance. Do I have to reinstall everything one at a time, or should I send it to Apple Care? Any advice is appreciated

edesignuk
Nov 12, 2004, 08:14 AM
Remove that extra Memory DIMM and see how it behaves, by the sounds of things I'd bet on it being that. If everything is OK without the DIMM installed get on the phone to Crucial and get it replaced.

njmac
Nov 12, 2004, 08:57 AM
Thank you for the reply, I removed the RAM and I'm just waiting for a crash ( or not......) thanks again

jxyama
Nov 12, 2004, 10:19 AM
yep, sounds like a typical case of a bad RAM.

too bad, because crucial has been fine for for me. you were a little unlucky. :(

get a replacement asap, good luck!

aricher
Nov 12, 2004, 10:57 AM
I had the same problem with crucial twice! They're very good about working with you though however frustrating it may be.

njmac
Nov 12, 2004, 10:58 AM
It's been a couple of hours now and no crash so I am sending the RAM back today. Thank you for the help, I can't believe how smart/amazing/kind the MacRumors community is!

yoak
Nov 12, 2004, 11:48 AM
I know, they helped me with my problems in no time.
This forum is great

lazyboy922
Nov 12, 2004, 01:56 PM
I had the same problem with ram from crucial (crashing all the time). It was bad ram, but they gladly sent me a replacement and it works fine! I would get ram from them again just because their customer service was so good.

flyfish29
Nov 12, 2004, 02:09 PM
Glad you figured it out. You might also think about installing things in waves...office, then wait a few days, then memory, etc. so you can more easily find you problems...luckily this time it was easy, but who knows next time.

good luck.

njmac
Nov 12, 2004, 07:41 PM
Glad you figured it out. You might also think about installing things in waves...office, then wait a few days, then memory, etc. so you can more easily find you problems...luckily this time it was easy, but who knows next time.

great point! I was not looking forward to uninstalling/reinstalling one at a time. Now I know :D