PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Launches 'Places' Location Check-Ins

MacRumors
Aug 19, 2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/08/19/facebook-launches-places-location-check-ins/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/08/19/104318-facebook_places_iphone.jpg

Facebook yesterday announced (http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=418175202130) the launch of its new Places (http://www.facebook.com/places/) geolocation feature that allows users to "check-in" and tell others where they are at any given time.Ever gone to a show, only to find out afterward that your friends were there too? With Places, you can discover moments when you and your friends are at the same place at the same time.

You have the option to share your location by "checking in" to that place and letting friends know where you are. You can easily see if any of your friends have also chosen to check in nearby.Facebook's iPhone application has been updated to support the new Places feature, while users on other devices supporting geolocation and HTML5 can utilize Facebook's touch-optimized mobile site. Places availability is currently limited to the United States, but support for additional countries and mobile platforms is planned for the near future.

Article Link: Facebook Launches 'Places' Location Check-Ins (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/08/19/facebook-launches-places-location-check-ins/)

jav6454
Aug 19, 2010, 09:45 AM
Great, more ways of telling the world where you are.

In case you didn't notice, I meant everything in SARCASM

countrydweller
Aug 19, 2010, 09:49 AM
There will be a way to turn it off(better be), it's not working yet either.

stagmeister
Aug 19, 2010, 09:52 AM
As long as you don't have to tell the world where you are. I have been seriously thinking about deleting my facebook acct.

ryguy2303
Aug 19, 2010, 09:53 AM
Doesn't appear to be working yet :/

spillproof
Aug 19, 2010, 09:56 AM
I give it a week until some little teenybopper gets stalked or kidnapped.

abbstrack
Aug 19, 2010, 09:59 AM
not available in my region yet.

my 'region' is NYC.

I dont throw this term around much, but i'd say this is a launch *fail*

powerofmac
Aug 19, 2010, 10:00 AM
This new location feature is screaming "Im not at home, please break into my house!"

GadgetAddict
Aug 19, 2010, 10:08 AM
After numerous accusations from all over the world of Facebook violating private privacy rights they now do this...

javaGuru
Aug 19, 2010, 10:09 AM
This new location feature is screaming "Im not at home, please break into my house!"

I agree; It's way too easy for people with bad intentions to know the best times to break into your home.

Roy Hobbs
Aug 19, 2010, 10:09 AM
How is this any differernt than posting a pic of you at a bar or a pic of something while on vacation from your iPhone (or other phone). Even without this Places feature its easy to figure out who isnt at home.

byulasfjazz
Aug 19, 2010, 10:13 AM

I dont know what kind of CRAZY KILLER friends you all have on facebook. I only have relatives and close friends I see and talk to on a normal occasion.
IF YOU DONT REALLY KNOW SOMEONE DONT ADD THEM AS A FRIEND DUH.
and only share the info you want with the people you want.. its not that hard really.

I say Genius!

so if i leave my phone somewhere.. can I get online and see where I am??

powerofmac
Aug 19, 2010, 10:13 AM
After numerous accusations from all over the world of Facebook violating private privacy rights they now do this...

Yep, I really thing that Facebook is going to go down with all this crap they are doing.

Microsoft's rep = crashing and copying Mac
Facebook's rep = lack of privacy and opt out NOT opt in

pawcio
Aug 19, 2010, 10:15 AM
I agree; It's way too easy for people with bad intentions to know the best times to break into your home.

You are only sharing your location information with people in your facebook friends list, so if you have people on your friends list that want to break into your house than you have more serious issues to deal with than the new "Places" feature. ;) I would start deleting all those criminals from your friends list right away! :p

powerofmac
Aug 19, 2010, 10:16 AM
I dont know what kind of CRAZY KILLER friends you all have on facebook. I only have relatives and close friends I see and talk to on a normal occasion.
and only share the info you want with the people you want.. its not that hard really.

I say Genius!

YEP! - But how many people say "do you have a Facebook" when you first meet them and add them later in the day? Also, haven't you heard about the privacy issues, you surely must not live under a rock!

Rat-Boy
Aug 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
Why is everyone ragging on Facebook for this?

It's not as if they invented it.

Foursquare, Loopt and Gowalla have had these types of apps for many many months.

byulasfjazz
Aug 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
YEP! - But how many people say "do you have a Facebook" when you first meet them and add them later in the day? Also, haven't you heard about the privacy issues, you surely must not live under a rock!

I dont add them.. I swear to you im not a grinch.. I just ignore it. unless I know people well.. I dont add them. Some of my co-workers I dont even add.

If you trust someone enough to see all the things you do on facebook.. you should be able to trust they are not going to KILL or ROB you..

Why do people add others they dont really know?? are we having a contest to see who has the most friends?

Am I alone when only adding people I KNOW I will hang out with or talk to on a normal basis??

CaryMacGuy
Aug 19, 2010, 10:22 AM
Goodbye FourSquare...it has been nice knowing you.

Compile 'em all
Aug 19, 2010, 10:22 AM

http://pleaserobme.com/

It crawls twitter for tweets saying "heading out" etc. I think they stopped the service though after several people emailed them.

javaGuru
Aug 19, 2010, 10:35 AM

I say Genius!

I saw a story on the news recently where someone accepted a friendship request from someone they went to high school with and were friends with in high school. I guess they didn't know this person as well as they thought. They were actually being watched and monitored for the best times to break into their home. I know this an unusual circumstance but it definitely proves that you can't be too careful.

javaGuru
Aug 19, 2010, 10:37 AM
Goodbye FourSquare...it has been nice knowing you.

I will continue using foursquare. I like they way it updates both facebook and twitter at the same time.

byulasfjazz
Aug 19, 2010, 10:40 AM
I saw a story on the news recently where someone accepted a friendship request from someone they went to high school with and were friends with in high school. I guess they didn't know this person as well as they thought. They were actually being watched and monitored for the best times to break into their home. I know this an unusual circumstance but it definitely proves that you can't be too careful.

like I said...if you didnt read.. PEOPLE YOU KNOW AND SEE ON A NORMAL BASIS...not some friend from school 10 years ago..

Please you guys know who your REAL friends are...

for people like ME.. this feature is genius for finding my CLOSE friends and family.

valkraider
Aug 19, 2010, 10:43 AM
While I am never going to use Places - or anything else like it - I think all these worries may be a little misplaced.

People can sit outside your home and watch to see if you are home. People can look at your lights or your windows or even send someone to knock on your door - and find out if you are home.

People were getting robbed long before Facebook.

And also - status updates like "Having fun on vacation in Hong Kong - two weeks seems too short" make it painfully obvious that you are not at home....

And even though you can set this stuff only visible to friends - and even set up groups within your friends like "trusted" and "not trusted" or "work" and "personal" and you can adjust visibility that way at a granular level - even though you can do all that: There are ways that the rest of the world can "mine" all of your posts and data.

Just assume that anything you put on facebook is visible to the entire world and will be so for the rest of time...

But I won't use Places. People I want to know where I am - I tell them.

tk421
Aug 19, 2010, 10:48 AM

Why are you adding people that you only met hours earlier if you are concerned about privacy issues? I really don't think this new feature is anything to get too alarmed about. It's like any other information people already post on Facebook—just think before you post.

That said, I have no intention of using this new feature. But I don't think I'm a typical Facebook user. I only log in about once a week, and rarely post anything.

CTYankee
Aug 19, 2010, 10:51 AM
oh, great. Just the thing aliens will use to find out where I am and abduct me again. Yeah, sure I had to opt in, but do you know how hard it is to say no to location features?! I mean seriously, don't they realize all the bad ways people, er 'others', can use technology like this.

If they get me again I'm

m4c1nt05h
Aug 19, 2010, 10:52 AM

Foursquare, Loopt and Gowalla have had these types of apps for many many months.

because it's turned on by default. it should be off by default (IMO) and then turned on as an option. many people aren't aware that Facebook's new "features" are almost always on when rolled out.

Cougarcat
Aug 19, 2010, 10:59 AM
because it's turned on by default. it should be off by default (IMO) and then turned on as an option. many people aren't aware that Facebook's new "features" are almost always on when rolled out.

It will only update if you allow it to use your location, and then after that only if you tap the places icon. It doesn't update your location automatically.

Polo5
Aug 19, 2010, 11:01 AM

+1
I'm sure you will be able to turn it off
IF YOU DONT REALLY KNOW SOMEONE DONT ADD THEM AS A FRIEND.
and only share the info you want with the people you want.. its not that hard really
+1

But yeah, why do people freak out about this? I usually see people updating their status with "i'm at the mall, movies etc?". I guess they have to panic now and go back and check in their homes to make sure no one is trying to break into their homes.

You dont like it TURN IT OFF, you dont want to turn it OFF, uninstall the app, as easy as that.

I guess some people just have to whine and complain about things all the time huh?

byulasfjazz
Aug 19, 2010, 11:10 AM
oh, great. Just the thing aliens will use to find out where I am and abduct me again. Yeah, sure I had to opt in, but do you know how hard it is to say no to location features?! I mean seriously, don't they realize all the bad ways people, er 'others', can use technology like this.

If they get me again I'm

lol.. dang that sucks.

SkippyThorson
Aug 19, 2010, 11:12 AM
Yep, I really thing that Facebook is going to go down with all this crap they are doing.

Microsoft's rep = crashing and copying Mac
Facebook's rep = lack of privacy and opt out NOT opt in

Microsoft "went down" for copying the Mac OS? When?

Facebook is not going to "go down" for a long time. Faceboook replaced Myspace which replaced Livejournal which replaced SubProfile, and each stuck around longer than the one before it. Hell, half of that list still refuses to die.

I agree to some point though with most here. Telling everyone where you are at any time is a horrible idea. If you don't want to do it though, just don't use it. Simple as that. Always has been, always will.

"Don't want to do it? Then don't do it."

Andronicus
Aug 19, 2010, 11:13 AM

Can anyone confirm this? It's so annoying when new features are turned on by default. I guess I just need to delete my account. I have a fb, but never check it, but I keep it around just because I get an email if somebody sends me a message on there and then I contact them back. Facebook is just awful, worst mistake signing up for it. If you don't have one DON'T GET ONE!!

Polo5
Aug 19, 2010, 11:18 AM
If you don't want to do it though, just don't use it. Simple as that. Always has been, always will.

"Don't want to do it? Then don't do it."but I have to! If I don't then who is going to complain and whine about it?

cdfarrar
Aug 19, 2010, 11:25 AM

Washington, DC ?

lowonthe456
Aug 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
I like the pull down to refresh...thats cool...Places doesnt work in my region either (Arizona USA)

glennp
Aug 19, 2010, 11:29 AM

Washington, DC ?

Serious -- I mean Walt Mossberg and Rob Pegoraro (Washington Post) both reviewed the feature based out of DC and now that it's live it's not available here yet?

CaryMacGuy
Aug 19, 2010, 11:32 AM
Serious -- I mean Walt Mossberg and Rob Pegoraro (Washington Post) both reviewed the feature based out of DC and now that it's live it's not available here yet?

Isn't Walt out of New York?

pmz
Aug 19, 2010, 11:35 AM
If you use this, you're an idiot. Plain and simple. No debate or discussion.

Andronicus
Aug 19, 2010, 11:38 AM

I agree.

Actually if you have a fb you're an idiot & yes I have one & yes I'm an idiot.

deannnnn
Aug 19, 2010, 11:42 AM
I dont add them.. I swear to you im not a grinch.. I just ignore it. unless I know people well.. I dont add them. Some of my co-workers I dont even add.

If you trust someone enough to see all the things you do on facebook.. you should be able to trust they are not going to KILL or ROB you..

Why do people add others they dont really know?? are we having a contest to see who has the most friends?

Am I alone when only adding people I KNOW I will hang out with or talk to on a normal basis??

Haha I tend to accept anyone who I have mutual friends with just because back in high school I met quite a few people that I went to school with every day through Facebook. It doesn't happen so much in college but I haven't changed my friend accepting habits, lol.

m4c1nt05h
Aug 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
Can anyone confirm this? It's so annoying when new features are turned on by default. I guess I just need to delete my account. I have a fb, but never check it, but I keep it around just because I get an email if somebody sends me a message on there and then I contact them back. Facebook is just awful, worst mistake signing up for it. If you don't have one DON'T GET ONE!!

http://lifehacker.com/5616395/how-to-disable-facebook-places

Aug 19, 2010, 11:47 AM
cannot log into the new version. Restored the previous one which works. Really weird...:o

justcallmepete
Aug 19, 2010, 11:50 AM
cannot log into the new version. Restored the previous one which works. Really weird...:o

are you jailbroken? do you have biteSMS installed? if so, thats probably why. if you go to SBSsettings > mobile substrate addons > and then turn off biteSMSsb, it will work normally. but im sure as hell not giving up my biteSMS for a facebook update that has a non functional locations feature (which even when it works i will not use) and background photo uploading. if you dont have the 5 seconds to wait for a picture to upload, maybe you shouldnt be wasting your time on facebook anyway.

spazzcat
Aug 19, 2010, 11:51 AM
I wounder if it will be better then foursqure?

bigsexyy81
Aug 19, 2010, 11:54 AM
are you jailbroken? do you have biteSMS installed? if so, thats probably why. if you go to SBSsettings > mobile substrate addons > and then turn off biteSMSsb, it will work normally. but im sure as hell not giving up my biteSMS for a facebook update that has a non functional locations feature (which even when it works i will not use) and background photo uploading. if you dont have the 5 seconds to wait for a picture to upload, maybe you shouldnt be wasting your time on facebook anyway.
I am JB and have biteSMS. This is the reason the new version won't work? I'm logged in but everything keeps popping up 'Error' on every page.

Is the only option to restore the old one by syncing with iTunes on my computer?

spazzcat
Aug 19, 2010, 11:54 AM

If you don't like Facebook, why do you have the app installed on your phone?

deannnnn
Aug 19, 2010, 11:55 AM
Has anyone been able to actually use Places?

My region is Miami which I would assume would be available at launch, and even if it wasn't, there was that guy in New York who said it wasn't available for him either.

pixpixpix
Aug 19, 2010, 11:57 AM
If you are concerned about letting friends see where you are, create a list called "placesfriends" and use privacy settings to only show your "Places I check in" to friends on that list.

spazzcat
Aug 19, 2010, 11:58 AM
Has anyone been able to actually use Places?

My region is Miami which I would assume would be available at launch, and even if it wasn't, there was that guy in New York who said it wasn't available for him either.

Guessing they haven't turned it on yet for anyone.

deannnnn
Aug 19, 2010, 11:58 AM
Update from Facebook:
http://imgur.com/woD2N.png

justcallmepete
Aug 19, 2010, 12:03 PM
I am JB and have biteSMS. This is the reason the new version won't work? I'm logged in but everything keeps popping up 'Error' on every page.

Is the only option to restore the old one by syncing with iTunes on my computer?

yes this is the reason. try it yourself.

and yes. i updated FB on my phone. so i just deleted it, and then re-sync'd my phone with the older version of FB.

NikeTalk
Aug 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
Dang, I just deleted my facebook the other day. Let me how how it is guys.

Andronicus
Aug 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
If you don't like Facebook, why do you have the app installed on your phone?

I do not have the p on my phone, but I have email on my phone. And when someone messages me on fb it sends a notice to my email.

Andronicus
Aug 19, 2010, 12:09 PM

Thank you sir! Just disabled my auto-enabled anti-privacy settings.

That's a good article I like the first comment by a poster there, "Nice to see facebook took all that bad press about their privacy settings so seriously."

spazzcat
Aug 19, 2010, 12:14 PM
I do not have the p on my phone, but I have email on my phone. And when someone messages me on fb it sends a notice to my email.

You need the app to use places....

Andronicus
Aug 19, 2010, 12:19 PM
You need the app to use places....

Well now I just feel stupid. . . .

schubes
Aug 19, 2010, 12:33 PM

glennp
Aug 19, 2010, 12:35 PM
Isn't Walt out of New York?

I thought so too but in the review he said they used the Places feature out in and around DC so it was working in DC for the testing:

In the past week or so, my colleague Katherine Boehret and I have used Facebook Places to check in with iPhones around our home base of Washington, D.C., at stores, bars, restaurants and even our office. I also was able to check in, or “tag,” other Facebook members with me, like my visiting son and daughter-in-law.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100818/facebook-places-review/

Stuipdboy1000
Aug 19, 2010, 12:42 PM
3.2.1 has been pushed out from the App Store.

spazzcat
Aug 19, 2010, 12:45 PM
Well now I just feel stupid. . . .

I guess you can use the touch site as well.

IBradMac
Aug 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
3.2.1 has been pushed out from the App Store.

Still doesn't work. Pointless update.

bigsexyy81
Aug 19, 2010, 01:06 PM
yes this is the reason. try it yourself.

and yes. i updated FB on my phone. so i just deleted it, and then re-sync'd my phone with the older version of FB.
You were spot on. Thanks.

Totally annoying. I use Infinifolders and I think it's going to make me redo all my folders. At least that's what it looked like in iTunes.

Ugh.

bigsexyy81
Aug 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
It isn't putting Facebook back on when I sync. Is there something I need to do before the sync? :confused:

notromeel
Aug 19, 2010, 01:32 PM
I don't understand all the bad push back for this new feature.

I'm walking down inner city and notice Jane is at the local coffee shop, I'll say hi. I'm at the concert with a buddy, and notice Brad is there too. I just entered this really neat cupcake place, I want to let my FRIENDS know.

If you're freaked out a creeper may know your location, why are you friends with them?

All the positive to this new, cool feature - and everyone says is - this will track your every move and people will kidnap you and break into your house, blah blah blah.

Diode
Aug 19, 2010, 02:20 PM
I thought so too but in the review he said they used the Places feature out in and around DC so it was working in DC for the testing:

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100818/facebook-places-review/

I'm in DC and can't get it to work ...

countrydweller
Aug 19, 2010, 02:37 PM
Just had another update 3.2.1, still doesn't work.

scandalous sc
Aug 19, 2010, 02:39 PM
Even with the new update today I still couldn't log in, it wasn't until I turned off BiteSMSsb in Mobilesubstrate via SBsettings and the Facebook app finally worked!

JaSuS
Aug 19, 2010, 02:42 PM
I agree.

Actually if you have a fb you're an idiot & yes I have one & yes I'm an idiot.

Man I love this forum....I have a facebook account.....but me nuh ediat:D

JaSuS
Aug 19, 2010, 02:44 PM
I don't understand all the bad push back for this new feature.

I'm walking down inner city and notice Jane is at the local coffee shop, I'll say hi. I'm at the concert with a buddy, and notice Brad is there too. I just entered this really neat cupcake place, I want to let my FRIENDS know.

If you're freaked out a creeper may know your location, why are you friends with them?

All the positive to this new, cool feature - and everyone says is - this will track your every move and people will kidnap you and break into your house, blah blah blah.

I agree my friend......you might just catch Jane in a vulnerable position of getting laid !!!!

macfan881
Aug 19, 2010, 02:59 PM
Ok still having log in issues removed Bite SMS reinstalled rebooted still having issues thankfully i still having synced my iPhone to my computer yet.

Polo5
Aug 19, 2010, 03:03 PM
Man I love this forum....I have a facebook account.....but me nuh ediat:D
+1 I too!
Just because it applies to u it doesnt mean it applies to everybody
Update from Facebook:

Facebook, why not roll out the service first and THEN do the app update? The way you aré doing it only creates confusion. My 2 cents

3lionsbecks
Aug 19, 2010, 03:15 PM
If you don't like it then just make sure you customize the privacy features in your account info.

I suggest this because your friends can 'tag' you in at a location even if you aren't there.

ie - pretend that you are at a stripclub and send it out to everyone......believe me, some people's friends will do stuff like this as a joke....and some will do it out of spite.

Could make for some funny encounters.....HS kids are going to get a huge kick out of this...

sp86
Aug 19, 2010, 03:22 PM

I say Genius!

Ha Ha ! I agree too ... this is awesome, provided you understand Facebook privacy setting.

countrydweller
Aug 19, 2010, 03:51 PM
Places is working here, Idaho.

Aug 19, 2010, 04:45 PM
Yes.
No.
Now with the version 3.2.1 I am able to log in, but after that all pages are saying "Error. Unable to load this page." That's not funny. Now I gotta go AGAIN to the previous version... darnit

PS: maybe this is THE SIGN that I should stop using fb at all. Just wasting precious time afterall on fb...
PPS: your post is so true. +1. Heck, +2. ;)

Update from Facebook:

Hello fb, how about the REST OF THE WORLD, huh?!

Telecacher
Aug 19, 2010, 05:12 PM
Wasn't working earlier, but just started working here in Los Angeles.

soLoredd
Aug 19, 2010, 05:25 PM
Well, not working here in Central California but I think the feature is pretty cool. If I had more friends that used Twitter I would use that to broadcast my location. I have several FB friends that are constantly posting about golf courses we've played or vacations etc. This makes it much more streamlined in my opinion.

edit: nevermind, just started working.

abbstrack
Aug 19, 2010, 05:53 PM
Places is working here, Idaho.

i guess now NYC is finally as cool as Idaho, because it is now working here as well...

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Aug 19, 2010, 06:11 PM
There will be a way to turn it off(better be), it's not working yet either.

it's working now

MattInOz
Aug 19, 2010, 06:23 PM
Why does it work only in the US?

bbotte
Aug 19, 2010, 06:32 PM
Works in Ohio.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Aug 19, 2010, 06:53 PM
Why does it work only in the US?

Facebook is a US based company, it will roll out globally soon

IBradMac
Aug 19, 2010, 08:22 PM
Works in Ohio.

Not in my part of Ohio.. :rolleyes:

spazzcat
Aug 19, 2010, 08:49 PM
It's working here in Cleveland, Ohio

cdfarrar
Aug 19, 2010, 09:07 PM

Washington, DC ?

Working now with the Update

ogdogg
Aug 19, 2010, 09:36 PM

If you have people on your friends list that will rob your house, you are an idiot.

cgratti
Aug 19, 2010, 10:10 PM

I'll set mine to "on a 2 week vacation" and sit on my couch with my gun... haha

emt1
Aug 19, 2010, 10:36 PM
The amount of stupidity in this thread is mind-blowing. Don't want people to know where you are? Don't check in. It's so simple.

Daveoc64
Aug 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
The amount of stupidity in this thread is mind-blowing. Don't want people to know where you are? Don't check in. It's so simple.

By default, your friends can check you in to any location - whether you're there or not.

That's where the real privacy concern is coming from.

It's one thing if YOU put your location out to the world, but it's another thing entirely when your friends can do it (and I'm sure many would do that, quite innocently).

SeattleMoose
Aug 19, 2010, 11:30 PM
Only the under 30 crowd is excited about this.

But hey, it takes a while to develop common sense.

To the "unhip", this looks like yet another way to bore each other to death.

I must say though, for criminals...things are looking up.

alimccarley
Aug 20, 2010, 04:09 AM
In anticipation of this update I'm going to have a FB 'friend' cull tonight.

spazzcat
Aug 20, 2010, 07:03 AM
Only the under 30 crowd is excited about this.

But hey, it takes a while to develop common sense.

To the "unhip", this looks like yet another way to bore each other to death.

I'm almost 35 and have no issues with this new feature. But i have been using Foursquare for awhile....Most of the non-friends on Facebook live halfway around the world, so I am not really worried about them breaking into my house. Most of the others are Master Masons, and I really don't see one of them doing it. And besides that is what insurance is for...

gazmac
Aug 20, 2010, 09:23 AM
http://gallery.me.com/gazmac2/100014/Facebook%20spaces%20working%20in%20UK/web.png?ver=12823139770007Why does it work only in the US?
Actually I got it to work in the UK by using the virtual private network feature on my iPhone. Created a 'place' last night and was able to check-in, and saw my location posted on my wall, but as I was at home at the time I deleted the post. Doesn't seem to be a straightforward way to check out, although I guess I need to play around with it a bit more.

Created a few more 'places' on the way into work this morning at various train stations and at the little park where I eat lunch sometimes. Might check-in at the stations on the way home just so that my partner (she does facebook more than I) can have fun tracking me. Don't intend to use this service as I don't really want 'friends' (which includes my boss) knowing where I am all the time .

OneMike
Aug 20, 2010, 09:32 AM

If you add friends and family only then shouldn't be a problem. If it is then you need to pick your friends more carefully and family you associate with.

I remember when Twinkle and some other twitter apps use to broadcast your location.

Blueline29
Aug 20, 2010, 09:59 AM
I was interested in trying this out, but when I updated FB for iPhone it crashed and I haven't been able to get it working again since.

genshi
Aug 20, 2010, 10:45 AM
Though I am well over 30 I had been using Foursquare for the past couple of months only because most of my friends (who are mostly 20 somethings) are using it, but I did get pretty bored with it and always thought to myself "Why am I even bothering." (I know, to unlock the badges for some reason.) Facebook's Places is identical to Foursquare and they will be integrating both apps together soon, apparently.

But I just saw a TedTalk from a guy who has a company called Scvngr (http://www.ted.com/talks/seth_priebatsch_the_game_layer_on_top_of_the_world.html) and they have an app (also called Scvngr: link to app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scvngr/id323248984?mt=8)) much like Places but with an added layer in which you have very specific goals to achieve in order to make it more fun. For example, if you walk into an American Apparel and check in, you then have the task of taking a photo of yourself posed like the Mannequin in the store window. When you do this [enough times at various locations] you unlock a reward of a badge. Apparently all of these badges (for both Scvngr and Foursquare) are supposed to, eventually, give you discounts at these various stores... it hasn't happened for me yet.

So, security concerns aside, do you think these things add value for the consumer? Of course it does for the companies gathering the market research data (it's a goldmine for them!) but what do these Location Services apps need to do to make this worth opening the app and "checking in" each time you walk into a place? Scvngr seems to have made their's a little more interesting by adding this game layer to the "check in" process (your life as a game) but is it enough?

I recommend watching the TedTalk that I linked to above as it explains it all better, but I still ask myself, "why the hell am I bothering to 'check in' ".

JoEw
Aug 20, 2010, 01:47 PM
horrible facebook update can't login and when i was able to log in i was not able to to view any of my messages.

i guess it's touch.facebook.com until they can fix.

danderton
Aug 20, 2010, 02:53 PM
any one else finding this release buggy?

mine doesnt load properly and restarts often.... was great b4..

on an iPhone 4.. any one else:mad:

xdhd350
Aug 20, 2010, 05:21 PM

+1

And LEARN to manage your FB privacy settings. Every friend should belong to some type of list, with privacy settings to match your comfort level.

karlwig
Aug 20, 2010, 09:16 PM
Great, more ways of other people telling the world where you are without your permission.

FTFY

edit: The Norwegian goverment today declared Facebook's new "Places"-integration might be illegal, and will discuss this matter with contacts in the EU.

They probably can't stop it, but I'm glad they're raising awereness of the privacy issues. I just don't see why there isn't at least a button you have to click to activate this. There's plenty of people who login to their FB accounts very rarely, including myself. I'm just glad I was informed about this by the media and in forums, so I can go and disable this feature ASAP.

infowarfare
Aug 20, 2010, 10:36 PM
FTFY

edit: The Norwegian goverment today declared Facebook's new "Places"-integration might be illegal, and will discuss this matter with contacts in the EU.

They probably can't stop it, but I'm glad they're raising awereness of the privacy issues. I just don't see why there isn't at least a button you have to click to activate this. There's plenty of people who login to their FB accounts very rarely, including myself. I'm just glad I was informed about this by the media and in forums, so I can go and disable this feature ASAP.

Wow! Really? Have you even used the feature in this app? It's not like if you have the Facebook app and you stumble into a place it will automatically tell the world where you live! Which is how some of you are making it sound... :rolleyes:

You literally have to hit the big button labeled "Places" and then hit the "Check In" button in the upper right corner to get a list of places near your current location ( that's if you have already activated location services for the app) and then choose the place you are at, or even a place you are not actually at, and then hit the big blue "Check In" button below that for it to finally show your Facebook friends where you want them to think you are at. It takes at least 3 button presses to Check In to anywhere!

Stop with all the fear mongering you bunch of whining babies!

frunkis54
Aug 20, 2010, 11:34 PM
people are overreacting about this.

1. you physically have to go to places and check in for anyone to see where your at.
2. you control who sees it. you can set it up so all your friends see it or only certain ones. if your worried about someone knowing your not at home. you might want to think who you have for friends on your FB account because they are the only ones that will know where you are or you aren't

sevnson71
Aug 21, 2010, 08:24 AM
I added an addendum for the technologically impaired to the lifehacker article posted a few times on how to shut it down on the iPhone, which evidently you have to do separately if you use the app. Posted on my business' Facebook page, oh the irony! It's fairly simple to disable and render ineffective(though sadly not "shut off" per se).

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585325975&v=wall&story_fbid=135227536520695&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply#!/pages/Danville-NH/Quik-Tech-Home-IT-Specialists/136923399667841?ref=ts&__a=13&ajaxpipe=1

Sal510
Aug 21, 2010, 05:52 PM
so are they trying to run "FourSquare" out of business haha

Blondie :)
Aug 22, 2010, 02:11 PM
I think this is actually kind of a cool idea. I've done that before where I've been somewhere, and then finding out that my friends were there and all that good stuff. If you have your own close knit friends, no one is going to break into your house when you're gone, and as far as the privacy rights go, why post something you don't want everyone to see? I mean really lol

mdwsta4
Aug 23, 2010, 12:16 AM
downloaded the update, my news feed won't populate. just get an error message. deleted it and reuploaded the previous release which didn't have any problems. i could care less about the places feature so i guess it doesn't matter.

domness
Aug 25, 2010, 04:41 AM
I think this new feature is genius! Whats better than scrolling through status updates just to see that your friend may be just down the road at the local pub?

- People who are worried about security and privacy.. well just don't use the 'Places' feature.. You're not being forced to!

- This is a great take on Foursquare, despite Foursquare being the better of the two, as Facebook obviously has a lot more users! I'll definitely be using Places as soon as it's rolled out to the UK.

cocky jeremy
Aug 28, 2010, 02:03 PM
I don't get the big deal. It only screams "rob me" if you have ****** friends and let everyone know where you live. If those apply to you, you've got far bigger problems than Facebook. Personally, i don't care what Facebook knows about me or shares with people.

polythene pam
Aug 31, 2010, 04:09 PM
- People who are worried about security and privacy.. well just don't use the 'Places' feature.. You're not being forced to!

Oh but yes we are being forced to. The moment that FB automatically opted me in to this feature and automatically allowed my friends to tag me at places, they forced me to.

What I am not being forced to do it to have a FB account to begin with, which is why I am done with mine!

Most people barely know a lot of their FB friends. For example, how many of your FB friends do you have on your cell phone contacts? How many do you talk to regularly? How many of your fb friends would you really want to know are "at a pub up the road" so that you can join them?

abby0880
Sep 1, 2010, 04:02 AM
This is nice if it will only be made visible to your friends or if the application will allow you to choose who will know where your exact location is. However, if this is something dangerous, then maybe it will not be worth it. play australian pokies online (http://www.playonlinepokies.com.au/)

Krafty
Sep 1, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm enjoying this feature, I'm one of the people who are picky about who I add. I know everyone on my list, the only thing is the people who I don't see are high school friends who go to other colleges that I keep in touch with.

Since my college crew always goes on food runs, we only tag places where we are eating or if we are at the campus. That way people can get pissed if they missed the food run and can come join us.

freewebsites
Nov 11, 2010, 02:30 PM
Iphone is still the best!

sp86
Nov 11, 2010, 03:31 PM
FB places is great and so is the iPhone - But I use it only sparingly. Still one of those people who is increasingly scared of all this open technology

kavika411
Nov 15, 2010, 06:41 PM
I need to get a better understanding of Places. Still not sure what it's about.

alongston
Dec 27, 2010, 11:58 PM
I often check into places just so I can see if any of my friends are there also (sporting events, concerts, etc). If you want to "check out" all you do is go to your profile and delete your check in.

PopCulture
Jan 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
This application kinda scares me. I don't want everyone knowing where I'm at. I'll pass.

spillproof
Jan 13, 2011, 04:08 PM
This application kinda scares me. I don't want everyone knowing where I'm at. I'll pass.

You don't have to. "Checking-in is optional." Facebook does not do it automatically.

MACAPALOOZA
Jan 20, 2011, 05:30 PM
How is this any differernt than posting a pic of you at a bar or a pic of something while on vacation from your iPhone (or other phone). Even without this Places feature its easy to figure out who isnt at home.

This would be a lot better because you won't have to take a picture of yourself at the bar (with your hair all jacked up, a girl who isn't your wife beside you in the picture, and 8 empty bottles of beer in the background).