Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomowindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
us
I didn't want to upgrade to iTune V.11 but for some reason iTune decided upon itself to do so. I was running iTune 10.7 and happy with it to an extend since I had to call Apple because I had difficulty synching.

Anyways, I even selected to not get the reminder not to update for at least 90 days but still it went ahead. I let the upgrade take place but at the end I didn't agreed. I went ahead to Time Machine and reset iTune from TM in order to run iTuneV10.7.

However, now I can't synch my iPod I get an error message (-42408). On my iPod 5 I got a message to go to Preferences and select to Restore back to Factory settings. But if I do that it will forced me to install V.11 which I don't want it.

I thought that if I went back to TM I could install iTune to the same version I backed up in TM. I need help

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say there there a files either in /Library or ~/Library that itunes is using and is causing a problem for you

nomowindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
us
well that's the problem I'm facing when I check which version iTune I have installed it still shows 10. But when I try to synch my iPod then I get the error message and telling me to reset to factory setting.

How can I reset it to factory setting w/o installing v.11. I shows specifically that by restoring automatically it will installed the latest version of iTune V11

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You might want to downgrade to iTunes 0 (or 0 iTunes) then. Here's a screenshot:
Gramophone_1914.png

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
What's the benefit of not upgrading to iTunes 11?

iTunes 11 is more constraining. Not built for people who want easy control of their music collection.

There are many usability issues; the music tabs don't sync with each other when switching between them, the Songs tab doesn't allow artwork, you are severely limited to what you can order your collection by in all tabs but the Songs tab (which doesn't include artwork!), search usability is bad, etc, etc, etc.
It all adds up to a frustrating experience for me.

Last edited:

nomowindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
us
But still I haven't got any answer to my posting.

How do I get iTune 10.7 back I have installed in TMachine but iTune is forcing to to reset to factory setting forcing me to install itune 11

nomowindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
us
ITune 11.

Dan

Thanks for taking real honest time to answering my issue. As you noticed, I kept getting a lof of replies but no substance.

I hear what you are saying. As you can see by my user's name that I have converted to Mac and no mo windows for me, lol. However, I do share your sentiment about how Apple handles issues when customers have vented their dissatisfaction about some Apps or products.

I'm still very annoyed about how iTune took it upon itself to make the upgrade, and then when I tried to restore from TM or other means I found that that I was wrong. So what's the use using TM eh?

In any event, I had no choice but to upgrade to iTune V.11, and they showed me how to change the appearance to look like V.10. So far, I haven't had any big issues.

On the other hand, I have been experiencing a global issue, so is not only me .But again, Apple as decided to look the other way. It seems that people are dealing with a very weird behavior, ie., the iPod turns on by itself (music), even when its on a nightstand no movement.

I have contacted Apple they are aware but haven't done Jack.

I appreciate the instructions you sent me I already made a copy just in case I need to go back to V. 10

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
You might want to downgrade to iTunes 0 (or 0 iTunes) then. Here's a screenshot:
Gramophone_1914.png

iTunes 11 search is terrible if you have a large music library. It lags and hangs up my system, which in turn makes it less stable. iTunes 10 never had that issue. If it was possible to turn off the drop down menu search, I would. The hiding of the playlist menu is an annoying feature, so I turned it off. I do like the Play Next feature.

----------

I am also obsessed with music, movies and music videos. It's not just a hobby - I am a DJ and Video DJ by proffesion. iTunes, since the very first release, has been the backbone to the way I organise and store all my digital media. I never had any need to seek an alterantive and have also enjoyed the intergration it provides with my iPhone and other things etc etc.

Danny

Exactly the same deal, lol. I DJ and iTunes 11 is a mess for managing my library. I'm just afraid of losing my playlists, which are essential when you have several hundred gigs of music.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I don't think there is any way the OPs computer has DLed itunes 11 without him having some setting allowing this to happen. Perhaps check software update in sys prefs.

I simply don't think it's possible. It's either user error or user confusion re the state of settings.

But good luck OP in getting back to iTunes 10. There's no way I'm upgrading until this new version matures.

eco7777

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
If you want to go back to iTunes 10 I am happy to show you the way.

I am happy to regard myself an expert now on how to downgrade iTunes 11 back to 10. Having found a straight forward and logical way of doing so I thought it my duty to share with others. I can't express what a relief it is to have version 10 back again. See the method below. Let me know how you got on.

You can jump to the method below but I feel I need to express my view on the experience I have had of using iTunes 11.

I have been a mac obsessed devoted fan all my life (I'm 46), never used a PC and got my first mac back in 1988. Until just the past few months I wouldn't hear anyone say anything derogatory about anything apple. However a few things are rocking my 'religious like' devotion. Most of all I have been dumfunded about issues of the recent iTunes evolution in version 11.

I am also obsessed with music, movies.

Danny

Change Danny for Max and 1988 for 1986 and you are me

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.