Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inutopia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
South of Heaven
I'm sorry if this has been asked already.

What if you use a normal mouse with OS X Lion, what happens with all the multi-touch gestures?

For example: I use a Logitech G9 with my Mac Pro, and the is NO WAY I'm downgrading to a Magic Mouse or a Magic Trackpad!

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Probably what happens in Snow Leopard...normal mouse actions. I have a regular mouse and a Magic Trackpad...one mouses traditionally and one allows me multitouch.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You won't be able to make the gestures. I'm sure there will be other, less convenient, ways to activate the various things.

Inutopia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
South of Heaven
You won't be able to make the gestures. I'm sure there will be other, less convenient, ways to activate the various things.

So basically you think they will be locking desktop users into using Apple's inferior input devices to access the new features of Lion properly?

Feels bad man...

andrei.barbuta

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2009
Romania
Keyboard controls instead of multi touch gestures. Like F3 for Mission Control instead of pulling 4 fingers down on an Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad.

I can't believe how people jump to the conclusion that Apple will lock in Macs to only their peripherals. How paranoid are these guys. Worst case scenario is a hobby of your, right? :)

Inutopia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
South of Heaven
So basically you think they will be locking desktop users into using Apple's inferior input devices to access the new features of Lion properly?

Feels bad man...

Read what i said, using keyboard commands to flick left to right is going to suck.

Also, the last part of what you said makes no sense... hobby.. what?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm one for using just a mouse as a mouse, and I don't see myself gonig to the the multitouch camp anytime soon.

I never really used it on my MBP and I don't see a burning desire to have it on my current systems

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
You can just get something like xGestures and use mouse gestures to do what the multitouch gestures would. Yes, it will require a bit of work but it works just fine.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
This thread exactly points out what bothers me. If I buy a Mac Mini and have my own display/keyboard/mouse I would get a subpar experience on Lion. I can't "flick" apps (so gimmicky).

Apple needs to let OS X be OS X. I'd rather press one button to activate Dashboard any random time I want (like browsing on the web or iChatting) than have to flick through 'homescreens'.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

Feels bad man...

Dont worry...I'm sure Logitech or some other third party will make a device with multitouch that will live up to your standards.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Feels bad man...

Well, I came in here to read an inferior thread, so, um, yeah. :rolleyes:

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Wait what somebody doesn't use the Magic Mouse?? :confused:

Isn't that like Mac blasphemy or something lol

Honestly the Magic mouse isn't that good. I have a nice Logitech, which I have configured to trigger Exposé and forward/backwards. I also have physical inertial scrolling (the wheel can roll for 11 seconds if you flick it fast enough).

Now I have used the Magic mouse. It's good, but not excellent. Gestures are much easier to do on my trackpad, and it's not exactly comfortable to hold when you have regular sized hands (I.E. not children sized).

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

Feels bad man...

The Exposé key, hot corners, hot keys, dock icon, etc. It's like you are complaining about something that already exists - a way to access the features without a multitouch surface.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
its a good job the internet was not around ( at the level it is now ) when we went from DOS to a GUI that required a mouse :D

Thread Starter: What do I do when I want to get to my documents???
Everybody Else: Well, you can just click a few times.
Thread Starter: Click? WTF is click?
Everybody Else: It's an onomonopia for the noise the mouse makes when you, well, click it.
Thread Starter: Mouse? What's a mouse? Why couldn't they have left it how it was…working just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.