Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tridn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
I know nobody knows when Apple will release its new line of products, but would someone who's knowledgable on the subject tell me if I should get the Macbook Pro 13"?

Would really appreciate it if someone can answer within the next week or 10 days or so.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
The mantra goes...if you need it now, buy it now...if you can wait, wait.

New MBP's are expected by most to come out in Q1 of 2011 and perhaps with some good upgrades.
The current MBP's are still suitable to do most work and are excellent machines.

Me, myself--I have a working computer, so I am waiting for the upgrade.
There are tons of other threads on this.

Read this one...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1052118/

and this one https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1061771/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
like the millions of identical threads asking the same identical question.

If you need one now, buy one now. If you can wait, then wait.

btw, if you searched, then you'd probably see that you're question was already answered

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
My brother had to buy a new laptop last week. His work and life depended on it, so he got the 15" MBP.
He knows new ones are coming out in a few months.
:)

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
What happens when you run out of toilet paper? Do you buy more straight away? Or maybe hold off for a few weeks/months until it goes on sale?

A computer is no different. If you need it now, buy it now.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What happens when you run out of toilet paper? Do you buy more straight away? Or maybe hold off for a few weeks/months until it goes on sale?
Extremely poor analogy! They're not releasing new versions and upgrades for toilet paper on a regular basis. Toilet paper doesn't cost over $1000. Toilet paper is a consumable item, not an expensive electronic device. You don't buy toilet paper to keep for 3 or more years. Etc., etc., etc....

It's perfectly reasonable to put more thought into a computer purchase than into a toilet paper purchase. :rolleyes:

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
There is now a chance that Apple will be releasing new laptops very soon, like next week, and the 13-inch model is most in need of an update. Don't ask why, but sudden updates always seems to happen around a time like this. :D :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There is now a chance that Apple will be releasing new laptops very soon, like next week, and the 13-inch model is most in need of an update. Don't ask why, but sudden updates always seems to happen around a time like this. :D :)
Not true at all. There will be no update until next year.

Stvwndr219

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Expect updates in Q1 of next year at the earliest. Apple has never released updates before the christmas season/after black friday and that's not likely to change...

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
There are people who go to places like Costco to buy huge amounts of toiletries for later usage. :eek:

There's always a new computer technology coming out soon, but if you need it now, you need it now. If you don't need it for something now, you can afford to wait for next year.

There will be no update until next year.

Next year is growing bigger by the week. My crystal ball says that the chance of an update is likely to be sooner now. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
New models are expected no sooner than Feb and no later than April - best guess. So if you need or really want one now go for it but try to find a deal - Apple has the highest prices. If you have a MicroCenter store near you they are selling the 13" MBP for only $999 pickup only.

I put my money where my mouth is and picked up a 15" MBP two weeks ago from Amazon and no regrets. (I also bought a 13' from MicroCenter 5 months ago for $999 and sold it for about what I paid last weekend on ebay) So the key is either wait for several months or find a deal and get one now :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Next year is growing bigger by the week. My crystal ball says that the chance of an update is likely to be sooner now. :rolleyes:
If apple were to update the MBP line, what would they updating. Sandy Bridge isn't out. A minor speed bump? Why issue a hardware refresh late in the Christmas holiday season. They're not about to do it right after Christmas because many people are done with shopping.

Your crystal ball is broken. There is zero chance of an update before 2011.
Agreed.

Sandy Bridge is coming out in late January or February. Apple has also typically waited a few months before jumping on a new chipset. My point is, that its more likely that apple will update its line in Q2 of 2011.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I know nobody knows when Apple will release its new line of products, but would someone who's knowledgable on the subject tell me if I should get the Macbook Pro 13"?

No offense, but lets just look at the red.
"Can somebody tell me if I should get a Macbook Pro 13"?

That is too vague; it can mean anything.
Add some more information about when you need the computer by, what your current setup is, and what you do on your computer so we can better answer "... tell me if I should get the Macbook Pro 13"? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.