Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Am I correct in thinking that the Mac App Store does in fact kill websites such as MacUpdate and the like???

If people want free mac apps then they will surely go through the mac app store as they will know that apple has approved them and therefor they should be safe as well as good apps.

I know some devs will still choose not to sell through the Mac App store but most probably will???

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Yes, unfortunately it will reduce the need for such sites. Many new Mac users don't know about those sites, so the App Store will help a lot of people. I rarely go to them myself. The ramifications of the App Store are still to be known, but sites like MacUpdate will not be happy.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Hurt yes. Kill? I don't know. A lot of apps won't qualify for the store.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Its a shame really... I admit i don't visit those sites much anymore as i pretty much feel that i have all the apps i need and have done for a while....

But they really helped me find some really great apps back in the day!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I know some devs will still choose not to sell through the Mac App store but most probably will???
I'm guessing devs will do what artists do through iTunes. They'll list on the Mac App Store for the publicity, advertising and ratings and also sell through their own site to maximize the profits. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of MacUpdate and the like anyway.

TheGraphicMac

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
In a house
Apple already promotes 3rd party apps on their site and it doesn't hurt MacUpdate. I suspect that Apple's new Mac store will hurt a bit, but only for people who are new to the Mac - who really aren't using MacUpdate anyway.

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
Most people that visit that site wont need the app store.

But my mom would never know to go there, and she'll use the app store. And it will be marvelous for her.

pineapple216

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
it will just have all the non approved apps. and trust me there will be a lot of them

Indeed. The mac store will be like the app store on iOS.
Apple checks the applications developers submit, and Apple decides wether to approve those apps or not.

I bet we won't see applications like Onyx, and Secrets, in the app store, because apps like these are applications that the normal mac user won't use.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
well yah, but...

When "normal" mac users find out about cool apps like SECRETS, or, what I like better, TINKER TOOL, they will think it's so cool. The mac app store is going to have millions of retarded apps just like the iphone/ipod touch's app store having millions of bu$# S*$( apps that are a total waste of code.

I was once a "normal" mac user myself, then I educated myself and learned how to think outside of the box.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Sites like MacUpdate and VersionTracker will just be like the Cydia for OS X. They'll feel a bit of hurt, but not enough to shut down.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
In the long run, there is even a chance that MacUpdate will profit from this segment of the market being exposed to the same market techniques as in the iTunes App Store. Expect a lot of silly apps appearing and the OS X software market extending the range towards the bottom.

However, I hope that some of these greedy developers will stop selling absolutely useless applications for the current price that they charge. I am more curious about Apple application bundles. The last MUPromo was so lame that I thought that the developers made a pact against the bundle organisers.

Apple's cut is around 35% in the App Store I think, so I don't expect everybody agreeing to that. Let's not forget that it's much easier to ignore Apple when it comes to purchasing applications for the Mac. You don't have to jailbreak your computer, to start with...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hurt, yes, kill no.

There are many developers that will be unwilling or unable to successfully pass the submission review. While there are benefits to having your app hosted by apple in their app store, there is a cost, and that cost may be too high for some developers.

Take panic, they sell transmit directly, and you can download it via macupdate, or rapidweaver from realmacsoftware. I highly doubt that they'll go the app store route and basically cut 30% of their income (yes I'm sure they have overhead from directly selling their apps).

the small guy that wants to write the next ifart app, he'll have it hosted by apple, but some of the larger more established authors probably won't

ZeppelinArmada

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2003
Mostly here
A major part of taking an application to market is figuring out how to get the product to the customer. The Mac App Store takes the place of a traditional publisher and there are a number of good reasons that a developer would want to have his or her products listed. One of the most compelling reasons is that one gets the distribution and update infrastructure for free. If having a reliable mechanism for updates kills sites like Mac Update it will be because they are no longer needed.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
The AppStore is only going to work for App's I decided to buy.
What about all those Apps I tried but found not quite there yet, at least for me?

Or finding demo's of similar products as the first one I found wasn't fully what I wanted. Even if I finally go and buy via the AppStore there is still a lot of room for those sites to adapt instead of die.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I don't think it'll be an all-or-nothing kill thing. A few smaller websites that just have basic apps might close down. Other websites, like Macupdate, might see less traffic. Other web sites that sell pro applications, like Adobe, might be about the same.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Who cares about MacUpdate, it's this badboy that's gonna go. :(

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-07 at 17.27.27.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-07 at 17.27.27.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,045

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany
When "normal" mac users find out about cool apps like SECRETS, or, what I like better, TINKER TOOL, they will think it's so cool. The mac app store is going to have millions of retarded apps just like the iphone/ipod touch's app store having millions of bu$# S*$( apps that are a total waste of code.

I was once a "normal" mac user myself, then I educated myself and learned how to think outside of the box.

I think what he meant by "normal" users aren't people like you, but people like my parents. People who never used computers for anything but work, and perhaps a bit of photo editing. Those people wouldn't think of stuff like Secrets or Tinker Tool to be cool, they just wouldn't see any need for them, let alone understand them…

chocobain

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
sites like macupdates is good u know, we can download many "free" things from there.
even we can download Mac OSX 10.6.x updater file.

i hope that sites still running while mac app store is released

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.