Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I got a letter from AT&T yesterday stating that they've noticed that I use more than 2gb of data per month which puts me outside of 98% of their customers typical data use. The letter gave me a friendly reminder that AT&T has many free wifi hotspots, and, if I wasn't aware of this, that I should turn on wifi in my iphone settings and that the iphone would automatically connect to those free wifi hotspots. I guess that streaming internet radio and podcasts all day puts me into the 2% category. I feel special.

I'm glad that I'm grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they've reserved the ability to move me to a 2gb plan at their discretion.

jbro1999

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009
haha I guess I should be expecting one too! All I do is stream music. At work, my car and home.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I find that with WiFi everywhere I'm at (home, work, eats), that I rarely even use the dang data plan.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ha ha.

I love it. The passive-aggressive mother approach.

I also love the "hotspot" suggestion. As if I spend all day sitting at Starbucks. I use my Wifi when I can because it's way faster, but I've never found AT&T hotspots to be any help whatsoever.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
If they're bitching so much, they should allow me to get the hell out of a data plan altogether.

Seriously.

I just picked up a Clear iSpot 4G last week for $20 on their holiday sale, and not only am I able to FaceTime and download large files anywhere without jailbreaking, I'm able to split out the signal to my entire family in the car simultaneously.

And it's 4G and it's unlimited usage for $25 a month, no contract.

No affiliation to company, product, or service. Just a damn happy customer.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I guess I should be expecting a letter like that soon. I just moved and Fios isn't installed yet. Glad I got handylight and an unlimited data plan.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Did you use more than 5GB on average per month?

No, never more than 3.6 gb. Since May, I've used:

May 3.1gb
June 3.6gb
July 2.3gb
Aug 2.2gb
Sep 2.3gb
Oct 2.8gb
Nov 2.9gb
Dec 3.1gb

I think that I'm going to let TuneIn Radio run continuously this month and see what I get. :)

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Ha ha.

I love it. The passive-aggressive mother approach.

I also love the "hotspot" suggestion. As if I spend all day sitting at Starbucks. I use my Wifi when I can because it's way faster, but I've never found AT&T hotspots to be any help whatsoever.

Same here. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I don't find that wifi hotspots (that are accessible) to be as ubiquitous as AT&T says. When I got the first iPod Touch, I was so frustrated because I couldn't use it without hanging out at McDonald's or staying at home.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
No, never more than 3.6 gb. Since May, I've used:

May 3.1gb
June 3.6gb
July 2.3gb
Aug 2.2gb
Sep 2.3gb
Oct 2.8gb
Nov 2.9gb
Dec 3.1gb

I think that I'm going to let TuneIn Radio run continuously this month and see what I get. :)

Have yet to get that letter. Ever since Netflix came out i've been using 3-4GB a month. Does AT&T even have the right to send a letter telling you you are using too much data, we're paying for unlimited without a cap.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Does AT&T even have the right to send a letter telling you you are using too much data, we're paying for unlimited without a cap.

What? How would you word a law that makes it illegal to send letters?

I mean, they have laws for things like stalking and threats of violence...but I don't think this quite qualifies for that.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
im at 46gb with 6 days left in cycle.. this is the first time ive ever done this much and it was sort of on accident but not really.. i pull 700KB/s when tethered they just upgraded towers in last month so when i moved the internet was gonna take 2 weeks to get installed and i needed my mkv goodness.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Can you post the letter? I am curious what they are trying to accomplish. They want you to cut the usage?

Tito Georgie

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
New York
I used 38GB last month lol I just recently moved don't have Internet yet so I tether with my Mac. Download a lot of movies and what not. No letter here yet..

xyz1534

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
im at 46gb with 6 days left in cycle.. this is the first time ive ever done this much and it was sort of on accident but not really.. i pull 700KB/s when tethered they just upgraded towers in last month so when i moved the internet was gonna take 2 weeks to get installed and i needed my mkv goodness.

46 GB in a month....WOW!!

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Does AT&T even have the right to send a letter telling you you are using too much data, we're paying for unlimited without a cap.

Read the OP again. The letter did not say that "you're using too much data" nor was it a threat. Just a reminder to try using wifi when possible.

I'm not saying thats its not a silly letter, but its certainly a very legal letter.

Tito Georgie

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
New York
Where's my letter ? :D

2hewqp5.jpg

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I find I have a hard time using more than a gb a month. How do people use so much data?

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
My normal places are at work and at home. Both places I have massive wifi coverage.
But anywhere else its a crap shoot. I'm in Dallas, and while I can find wifi spots all over the place, they're not open and require passwords. Some places are easy, they use their telephone number as the password/wep key. But others just aren't available. So when that is, I normally refrain from using 3G since its rather slow compared to my wifi connections. Its great to have if I need it, but I don't use it for just normal browsing.
Maybe I'll try this streaming radio trick and see what ATT says. :D

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
. Does AT&T even have the right to send a letter telling you you are using too much data, we're paying for unlimited without a cap.

Actually I don't think you are paying for data without a cap. I believe their "unlimited" data is "limited" to 5GB per their TOS. While I am sure you can argue that point until the cows come home that's what they do. If you exceed the "cap" to often they can do bad things to you that I couldn't even put into words since this is a PG rated forum. :)

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Every network except T-Mobile here in the UK has scrapped the unlimited internet plans, now we're limited to 500MB per month.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio

They'll ban you soon with that kinda usage. Wow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.