Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Huh, maybe I should tether to my xBox 360 and download a couple of HD movies off of Zune to get my contract cancelled without an ETF. Their service has gone to hell here, they totally oversold it. I wonder how long it would take to download 15GB's worth of data with my 25KBPS crappy 3G connection.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I got a letter from AT&T yesterday stating that they've noticed that I use more than 2gb of data per month which puts me outside of 98% of their customers typical data use. The letter gave me a friendly reminder that AT&T has many free wifi hotspots, and, if I wasn't aware of this, that I should turn on wifi in my iphone settings and that the iphone would automatically connect to those free wifi hotspots. I guess that streaming internet radio and podcasts all day puts me into the 2% category. I feel special.

I would LOVE to get one of those letters!

"Dear AT&T,

Thank you so much for your letter received on December 21 about my data usage. I was disappointed that it wasn't a Christmas card, however, as that's what people tend to get sent this time of year. Maybe you guys don't celebrate Christmas or something.

Anyway, I appreciate your concerns about whether I'm aware of my data usage, and am writing back to assure you that, indeed, I am totally aware. I use that nifty MyWireless App that you have on the App Store, which shows me my data usage. Using apps are fun. By the way, did you know that using the MyWireless App uses data? How crazy is that!

I was blown away that my data usage is in the upper 2% of your customer base, though. AWESOME! thanks for congratulating me on this wonderful accomplishment! I'm such an over-achiever, and love being at the top.

I'm also thankful that my data plan - which binds me to a 2-year contract regardless of the price I pay for my iPhone, for some silly reason - covers 100% of my data usage, regardless of how much data I use each month. I have an unlimited data plan, and I'm using data... well, unlimited-ly.

As a company AT&T agreed that although new customers were stuck on a stingier plan with 2GB-per-month cap, those of us who have stuck with AT&T over the years, provided it with substantial profits since buying our older model iPhones, and not leaving despite the numerous service issues that have left my iPhone having spotty coverage, dropped calls, and have left us to be the butt of jokes by numerous overly-smug Droid users, have been reluctantly permitted to keep our older unlimited data plans.

As such, I totally expect AT&T to live up to its end of the bargain. We all know that AT&T didn't score too well in the latest Consumer Reports survey, and we've all heard the rumors about a certain other, better-scoring carrier possibly selling iPhones in the not-too-distant future. If AT&T renegs and puts people like me on a capped plan, that would cause some pretty bad publicity AND gives your customer good reasons to jump ship, now wouldn't it?

Anyway, that's just a little something to think about. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to stream some more video from my slingbox.

Merry Christmas!

-scaredpoet

P.S.: Your WiFi hotspots really aren't all that great. Half the time I'm at a Starbucks, the Wifi is either broken or extremely slow thanks to all the laptop jockeys who take up all the seats there for hours on end and suck up the bandwidth. And why would I ever set foot in a McDonald's, anyway?"

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That loophole that is supposedly closing soon.... ya, it's been around since June 24. Everybody at AT&T knows about it. It's the easiest fix in the world I imagine. They haven't fixed it. It won't be fixed anytime soon. It probably will never be blocked. End of story.

umm it is a lot harder than you think to fix it. It is not something they can just go in and do. They have to make sure what ever they do does not risk damaging or screwing up the rest of the systems. It massing with some pretty low level stuff and that is something that everyone avoid if possible and when you do it takes a lot of time and money. I am willing to bet it is pretty low on the list of things to do so just not worth it at this time.

Fix is fairly easy and that is killing unlimited data feature phones and I see that happening in the future.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You people who abuse the network

Please define "abusing the network." My data plan provides no cap on my data usage for my iPhone, so I am well within the "limits" of my rate plan and agreement. And my usage is legitimate. My phone isn't jailbroken and data usage comes from either web browsing, mail, or streaming of audio using the approved apps within Apple's own app store.

I have WiFi at home and at work, and my iPhone is connected to those hotspots or AT&T's own whenever they're available. But see, the whole point of having a mobile device is that you take it places. And quite a few of those places happen to not have WiFi nearby... but there IS 3G, which is... kinda the point of 3G, when you think about it...

My throughput is quite good, and so is the throughput of other users around me. And anyway, I haven't changed my usage habits much and yet somehow with the iPhone 4, my data usage has jumped for no apparent reason.

If AT&T doesn't want us to "abuse" its network, maybe they shouldn't sell such "abusive" mobile devices, or sign multi-year exclusivity agreements with the makers of such devices, so that they can be sold and used on less "abuse-prone" networks.

Don't get me wrong. I still don't think that people should deliberately burn through data solely for the sake of it, or doing silly things like using massive data for the sole reason of maliciously causing harm to the network. That is abusing the network.

But, there are lots of people who are legitimate users of data, and through no fault of their own, have found that newer version of their favorite smartphone is suddenly consuming way more data than before and burning through these data caps much more easily. This isn't abuse, and when penalties are meted out to people who are just using their phones, that's not right.

are the reason why providers are implementing usage caps.

I used to think as you did. But I now chalk up capping solely to carrier greed, and I have plenty of reason to believe my theory is the correct one. Not to mention, the negative backlash from imposing caps motivates some people to truly abuse the network. The caps anger people and make them WANT to try and push or exceed the limits, not the other way around.

I hope you're freaking happy.

I'm pleased as punch, actually! Quite glad that I didn't decide to save $5 on a capped data plan. How are you feeling?

Last edited:

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
Please define "abusing the network." My data plan provides no cap on my data usage for my iPhone, so I am well within the "limits" of my rate plan and agreement. And my usage is legitimate. My phone isn't jailbroken and data usage comes from either web browsing, mail, or streaming of audio using the approved apps within Apple's own app store.

I have WiFi at home and at work, and my iPhone is connected to those hotspots or AT&T's own whenever they're available. But see, the whole point of having a mobile device is that you take it places. And quite a few of those places happen to not have WiFi nearby... but there IS 3G, which is... kinda the point of 3G, when you think about it...

My throughput is quite good, and so is the throughput of other users around me. And anyway, I haven't changed my usage habits much and yet somehow with the iPhone 4, my data usage has jumped for no apparent reason.

If AT&T doesn't want us to "abuse" its network, maybe they shouldn't sell such "abusive" mobile devices, or sign multi-year exclusivity agreements with the makers of such devices, so that they can be sold and used on less "abuse-prone" networks.

Don't get me wrong. I still don't think that people should deliberately burn through data solely for the sake of it, or doing silly things like using massive data for the sole reason of maliciously causing harm to the network. That is abusing the network.

But, there are lots of people who are legitimate users of data, and through no fault of their own, have found that newer version of their favorite smartphone is suddenly consuming way more data than before and burning through these data caps much more easily. This isn't abuse, and when penalties are meted out to people who are just using their phones, that's not right.

I used to think as you did. But I now chalk up capping solely to carrier greed, and I have plenty of reason to believe my theory is the correct one. Not to mention, the negative backlash from imposing caps motivates some people to truly abuse the network. The caps anger people and make them WANT to try and push or exceed the limits, not the other way around.

I'm pleased as punch, actually! Quite glad that I didn't decide to save $5 on a capped data plan. How are you feeling?

I don't think any of that was aimed at you

When people say abuse, its the users that use 40Gb-70Gb of data a month, tethering to more than one device, downloading torrents, etc

While there is a gray area, it's the extreme group of people who lack common sense/decency that are abusing the system and ultimately screw everyone else

crazytiger86

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
Honestly, if the use is reasonable, I dont consider it abuse. BUT when you run something like 45 GB :eek: usage for one month, its pretty obvious there is some abuse going on there. I dont even know how people hit 80 GB a month without foul play.

Who the hell runs a torrent through a 3G connection? Is that even viable? Wouldnt it make more sense to torrent through a hard line? Its sure as hell faster. Its like, geez, grow a pair and pay for your own ISP service already, damn.

2 GB (which they provide) is crippled usage to me. I agree they should lift that 2 GB cap. Its wrong on the part of AT&T to limit it, but I understand their reasoning behind it. Even Verizon wireless' "unlimited" has a soft cap of 5 GB. But for those that treat their iPhone (and tethering) as their main ISP by pulling 45-80 GB, no mercy towards them.

crazytiger86

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
im at 46gb with 6 days left in cycle.. this is the first time ive ever done this much and it was sort of on accident but not really.. i pull 700KB/s when tethered they just upgraded towers in last month so when i moved the internet was gonna take 2 weeks to get installed and i needed my mkv goodness.

So...how is something a "sort of accident" but "not really"?

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
You people who abuse the network are the reason why providers are implementing usage caps.

It certainly couldn't be the MILLIONS of iPhones which, by their very nature, can clog local networks of cell towers throughout AT&T's infrastructure.

It's the tiny percentage of (what you call) 'abusers' that caused AT&T to implement a nationwide data cap plan.

Cripes. :rolleyes:

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
You people who abuse the network are the reason why providers are implementing usage caps.

Really you guys? The guy is right. I myself would be a data hog if I could but my slower-than-dial-up speeds won't allow it. I still use it to tether occasionaly when traveling and use on average 50/500MB's a month. He's calling them as he sees them.

biw999

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
But if you're not an "abuser" as you say -- than why should you care about a data cap in the first place?

You can go over the cap without being an "abuser" (tethering without AT&Ts knowledge) right? Don't know what you're getting at.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I would LOVE to get one of those letters!

"Dear AT&T,

Thank you so much for your letter received on December 21 about my data usage. I was disappointed that it wasn't a Christmas card, however, as that's what people tend to get sent this time of year. Maybe you guys don't celebrate Christmas or something.

Anyway, I appreciate your concerns about whether I'm aware of my data usage, and am writing back to assure you that, indeed, I am totally aware. I use that nifty MyWireless App that you have on the App Store, which shows me my data usage. Using apps are fun. By the way, did you know that using the MyWireless App uses data? How crazy is that!

I was blown away that my data usage is in the upper 2% of your customer base, though. AWESOME! thanks for congratulating me on this wonderful accomplishment! I'm such an over-achiever, and love being at the top.

I'm also thankful that my data plan - which binds me to a 2-year contract regardless of the price I pay for my iPhone, for some silly reason - covers 100% of my data usage, regardless of how much data I use each month. I have an unlimited data plan, and I'm using data... well, unlimited-ly.

As a company AT&T agreed that although new customers were stuck on a stingier plan with 2GB-per-month cap, those of us who have stuck with AT&T over the years, provided it with substantial profits since buying our older model iPhones, and not leaving despite the numerous service issues that have left my iPhone having spotty coverage, dropped calls, and have left us to be the butt of jokes by numerous overly-smug Droid users, have been reluctantly permitted to keep our older unlimited data plans.

As such, I totally expect AT&T to live up to its end of the bargain. We all know that AT&T didn't score too well in the latest Consumer Reports survey, and we've all heard the rumors about a certain other, better-scoring carrier possibly selling iPhones in the not-too-distant future. If AT&T renegs and puts people like me on a capped plan, that would cause some pretty bad publicity AND gives your customer good reasons to jump ship, now wouldn't it?

Anyway, that's just a little something to think about. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to stream some more video from my slingbox.

Merry Christmas!

-scaredpoet

P.S.: Your WiFi hotspots really aren't all that great. Half the time I'm at a Starbucks, the Wifi is either broken or extremely slow thanks to all the laptop jockeys who take up all the seats there for hours on end and suck up the bandwidth. And why would I ever set foot in a McDonald's, anyway?"

Beautiful. I love that letter. :)

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
i would love to get one of those letters!

"dear at&t,

thank you so much for your letter received on december 21 about my data usage. I was disappointed that it wasn't a christmas card, however, as that's what people tend to get sent this time of year. Maybe you guys don't celebrate christmas or something.

Anyway, i appreciate your concerns about whether i'm aware of my data usage, and am writing back to assure you that, indeed, i am totally aware. I use that nifty mywireless app that you have on the app store, which shows me my data usage. Using apps are fun. By the way, did you know that using the mywireless app uses data? How crazy is that!

I was blown away that my data usage is in the upper 2% of your customer base, though. Awesome! Thanks for congratulating me on this wonderful accomplishment! I'm such an over-achiever, and love being at the top.

I'm also thankful that my data plan - which binds me to a 2-year contract regardless of the price i pay for my iphone, for some silly reason - covers 100% of my data usage, regardless of how much data i use each month. I have an unlimited data plan, and i'm using data... Well, unlimited-ly.

As a company at&t agreed that although new customers were stuck on a stingier plan with 2gb-per-month cap, those of us who have stuck with at&t over the years, provided it with substantial profits since buying our older model iphones, and not leaving despite the numerous service issues that have left my iphone having spotty coverage, dropped calls, and have left us to be the butt of jokes by numerous overly-smug droid users, have been reluctantly permitted to keep our older unlimited data plans.

As such, i totally expect at&t to live up to its end of the bargain. We all know that at&t didn't score too well in the latest consumer reports survey, and we've all heard the rumors about a certain other, better-scoring carrier possibly selling iphones in the not-too-distant future. If at&t renegs and puts people like me on a capped plan, that would cause some pretty bad publicity and gives your customer good reasons to jump ship, now wouldn't it?

Anyway, that's just a little something to think about. Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to stream some more video from my slingbox.

Merry christmas!

-scaredpoet

p.s.: Your wifi hotspots really aren't all that great. Half the time i'm at a starbucks, the wifi is either broken or extremely slow thanks to all the laptop jockeys who take up all the seats there for hours on end and suck up the bandwidth. And why would i ever set foot in a mcdonald's, anyway?"

awesome!

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Keep using it, you're paying for that service, it's not like if it were free internet and you were abusing.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Ok, here's the letter. Again, they're not threatening me, just "suggesting" how I can manage my data usage. :) The most that I've used in a month is 3.6 gb.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 121

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Interesting. Thanks for putting that up.
So they're kindly telling you to try to connect to wifi if you have it available but no threats of disconnecting you or anything like that. They're pretty nice about it actually.
Wonder if that signals a change in the way they handle higher data usage customers and if they implement anything more drastic down the road.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Did you use more than 5GB on average per month?

I've been saying this for over 2 years. Here let me say it again so it sinks in nice and deeply....

There is NO limit on unlimited data plans for the iPhone. Only LaptopConnect, MobileBroadband and Tethering Plans are limited to a certain amount per month. 5GB/month on the first two and the latter varies according to device.

THIS IS NOT A DIFFICULT CONCEPT!

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Ok, here's the letter. Again, they're not threatening me, just "suggesting" how I can manage my data usage. :) The most that I've used in a month is 3.6 gb.

The interesting thing about the wording of the letter is it loosely hints (or more accurately, seems directed at) someone who doesn't have an unlimited plan.

It's like they're telling you since your data use has exceeded the 2GB cap they implemented, the WiFi suggestion follows in order save you on potential overage charges. At least that's my interpretation. In other words, WHY would they suggest you use the MyWireless app to check your data usage if you had an unlimited data plan, right?

In short, I don't think this letter is/should/was intended to be sent out to folks who have unlimited data plans -- it was more of a AT&T robotic send-out to anyone who uses more than 2GB regularly.

Anyway, it's a moot point. Thx for posting it.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The interesting thing about the wording of the letter is it loosely hints (or more accurately, seems directed at) someone who doesn't have an unlimited plan.

It's like their telling you since your data use has exceeded the 2GB cap they have implemented, the WiFi suggestion follows -- in order save you on overage charges. At least that's my interpretation. In other words, WHY would they suggest you use the MyWireless app to check your data usage if you had an unlimited data plan, right?

In short, I don't think this letter is/should/was intended to be sent out to folks who have unlimited data plans -- it was more of a AT&T robotic send-out to anyone who uses more than 2GB regularly.

True, now that you're saying it makes sense.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX

It's like their telling you since your data use has exceeded the 2GB cap they have implemented, the WiFi suggestion follows -- in order save you on overage charges. At least that's my interpretation. In other words, WHY would they suggest you use the MyWireless app to check your data usage if you had an unlimited data plan, right?

Makes sense. I kind of thought that they were subtly letting me know that I was on their radar. I expected others on this forum to say that they've received something similar by now. I guess I just got unlucky. :)

Flojomojo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2006
I like "unlimited" data too, and I've gone over 2GB/month once in a while. I don't see how anyone can do 10GB/mo+ without running afoul of AT&T's Terms of Service. They're well within their contractual rights to drop or slap surcharges on abusers.

Just because they haven't bothered to enforce these rules (to keep you as a happy subscriber, maybe?) doesn't mean they won't choose to do so later on.

Bandwidth hogs like Netflix Streaming or Skype video chat aren't specifically included or excluded in the ToS, but P2P and "unofficial" tethering are explicitly disallowed. We all signed agreements that state our understanding that you can't get unlimited bandwidth and legit tethering under these rules.

I think we can assume AT&T can tell the difference between tethered laptop and a phone under "normal" (if heavy) use if they choose to.

Here comes the wall-o-text. I've added some line breaks for readability, and some bold text for emphasis.

Prohibited and Permissible Uses: Except as may otherwise be specifically permitted or prohibited for select data plans, data sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes:
(i) Internet browsing;
(ii) email; and
(iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation).

While most common uses for Intranet browsing, email and intranet access are permitted by your data plan, there are certain uses that cause extreme network capacity issues and interference with the network and are therefore prohibited.
Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following:
(i) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing;
(ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines, landlines or full-time or dedicated data connections;
(iii) "auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automated or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of net traffic, or which disrupt net user groups or email use by others;
(iv) "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email);
(v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either AT&T's wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources, including "denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user;
(vi) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures of
AT&T's wireless network or another entity's network or systems;
(vii) software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keep alive" functions, unless they adhere to AT&T's data retry requirements, which may be changed from time to time.

This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services, redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited.

Furthermore, plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/PDA-to computer accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to
(i) deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and
(ii) otherwise protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows.

You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use the Services other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and are
not for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
And then you people wonder why AT&T is putting caps in place and charging for tethering :rolleyes:

+1

I got MyWi but very seldom use it, with nexflix I can get up to 2 maybe 2.5gb a month if I try. It amazes me how people can get so angry when att takes steps to try to clear up some bandwith.

It seems to me that the people that over-abuse the system are a big reason unlimited will soon be a thing of the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.