Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matthew2909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
If I download the Lion update because I've lost my Snow Leopard disc, so If I get Lion which I was planning anyway, how can I get it to work? I already have Windows 7 ready just need the mac software...

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
Lion installs on top of Snow Leopard once you purchase it from the App store.

Another way to think of this is, Snow Leopard is a prereq to Lion. Unless of course you're using hacks.

Matthew2909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Is their a Lion disc I can buy? Because I dont understand wether I need the Snow Leopard disc or can just use lion for bootcamp

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is their a Lion disc I can buy? Because I dont understand wether I need the Snow Leopard disc or can just use lion for bootcamp

Lion is a download only purchase. There is no discs to buy and being such you cannot just boot up Lion to install, hence the requirement that you need Snow Leopard.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Matthew2909 said:

No

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
The Boot Camp Assistant lets you download the Windows Boot Camp Drivers (version 4.0), which you can burn to a CD and install that from scratch or on top of previous Boot Camp drivers from the Windows end.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
If you're already running at least Mac OS X 10.6.6 (IIRC), you will have the Mac App Store in your dock. With that, you can download Lion. Once Lion is installed, a small "rescue" partition is created on your hard drive, containing recovery files. The understanding is that this recovery partition can be used to reinstall Lion if the worse can happens, but only after Lion is already installed.

Of course, there are probably already several torrents of the Lion GM seed floating around the internet, so ......

On the other hand, it sounds as if the OP simply wants to know if Lion supports Boot Camp so that he can run Windows 7 on his Mac :eek:

To the OP: all kidding aside, Boot Camp Assistant will most likely be in the same place on lion as it is in Snow Leopard - look in the Applications/Utilities folder and just run it as before. If you already have it running under Snow Leopard, it should run as expected under Lion. I have Lion installed on an external hard drive (with Windows 7, as I need to do some Windows stuff for grad school) and can let you know how it works, once I get to work.

The other posters are correct. Apple is moving towards a software download-only process for future software sales. Not only does it drastically reduce costs for Apple, but as seen with Final Cut Pro X and Aperture, it also results in a drastically reduced price for consumers as well.

funkahdafi

Suspended
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
The other posters are correct. Apple is moving towards a software download-only process for future software sales. Not only does it drastically reduce costs for Apple, but as seen with Final Cut Pro X and Aperture, it also results in a drastically reduced price for consumers as well.

Whether it "drastically" reduces cost for Apple (I wonder why people always assume superlative) remains a mystery to any outsider of Apple, even you.

You know, internet bandwidth is not exactly free, and millions of users downloading from your servers is not cheap. It may be cheaper than producing DVDs, but who knows? Have you seen the internal calculations of Apple? No? Thought so.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
What I did was, I went back to SL from Lion, then installed Win 7 through Bootcamp, then upgraded SL to Lion afterwards. Works fine for me :D.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Whether it "drastically" reduces cost for Apple (I wonder why people always assume superlative) remains a mystery to any outsider of Apple, even you.

You know, internet bandwidth is not exactly free, and millions of users downloading from your servers is not cheap. It may be cheaper than producing DVDs, but who knows? Have you seen the internal calculations of Apple? No? Thought so.

As I pointed out, no longer does Apple have to press nearly as many DVDs, box them up, and ship them around the world. Just stop to consider how much is spent on just those steps. I fail to understand why internet "tough guys" such as yourself feel the need to constantly spout your ignorance about the situation as well. Have YOU checked out the cost of seeding OS X Lion to user worldwide? No? Thought so.

bikerman

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
boot camp with mac os x lion

hello i had a macbook pro with snow leopard i just bought in may and i had bootcamp with windows 7 yesterday i just buy the new OS X Lion and i installed but now i can't find the windows 7 part can anyone help me what i have to do to recover my windows 7 or i have to install again windows 7 on the new OS X Lion?

palyons

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
hello i had a macbook pro with snow leopard i just bought in may and i had bootcamp with windows 7 yesterday i just buy the new OS X Lion and i installed but now i can't find the windows 7 part can anyone help me what i have to do to recover my windows 7 or i have to install again windows 7 on the new OS X Lion?

You likely will not have to re-install Windows 7 or anything like that. Here is a simple solution for you. Download rEFIt 0.14. Here's what you do, instead of burning a 20mb .iso file on a cd or dvd, you can in fact restore the contents of the .iso to a small usb device. Just make sure you backup the contents of the usb reader to your hard drive, and then format the card as Mac OS X Journaled (extended). Anyway to do all this just select the usb device in Disk Utility, go to Restore tab and you should be able to make the usb device bootable through all this.

IF all the above I've described is too complicated for you, then just simply burn the downloaded .iso to a cd-r(w) / dvd-r(w), but make sure you unzip the the compressed iso, which will be called rEFIt-0.14.cdr.gz before burning it.

Once done, simply boot up your mac, hold down alt/option key immediately AFTER the Mac startup sound, choose the Partitioning tool, it will ask if you want to update the GPT/MBR table, say yes. With some luck it may start up in Windows 7.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.