Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gol27

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

cube said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think the main point for me though is the user experience. I won't say that a retina screen wouldn't be better, but the reason I bought the iPad is the over all experience and ease of use. if I want to get to something it's no more than a couple of clicks away. Can it be improved? Of course everything always can be. However for me personally it's the operating system that's won me over, same with OSX on the mac.
I mean look at the origional iphone and 3G/S, still fantastic phones, I just think the retina display has spoilt people, no ones happy now unless it's retina. Where as at the time the 3GS was the best thing since sliced bread.

Who said OLED screens cannot be high density?

----------

You mean the one that cost over $2000 and was discontinued in February of 2010?

So?

No one said they can't, all I'm saying is apple users seem to have gotten into the mindset that we all need a retina display.

Technology always mOves forward and as time goes by things get cheaper. I just think for the price point a retina display is too much to ask in the ipad 3.
They can't honestly increase the price any further, the iPad2 64GB + 3G is highly priced for a tablet, and for not a lot more puts it in the MBA territory.
As jobs himself stated in the keynote the iPad is meant to be a happy medium between the iphone and mac, not a replacement.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

No one said they can't, all I'm saying is apple users seem to have gotten into the mindset that we all need a retina display.

Technology always mOves forward and as time goes by things get cheaper. I just think for the price point a retina display is too much to ask in the ipad 3.
They can't honestly increase the price any further, the iPad2 64GB + 3G is highly priced for a tablet, and for not a lot more puts it in the MBA territory.
As jobs himself stated in the keynote the iPad is meant to be a happy medium between the iphone and mac, not a replacement.

The price of a display is not given by its resolution, but by its size.

I didn't buy the iPad 2 because it doesn't have retina.

That has nothing to do with whether the next iPad could already be OLED.

Gol27

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011

So your saying that The current 1,024 x 768 display would be the same as a higher resolution display as long as there the same size?

For all we know the iPad 3 could be 3D! Unlikely I know, but the point is we just don't know untill it's announced.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

So your saying that The current 1,024 x 768 display would be the same as a higher resolution display?

For all we know the iPad 3 could be 3D! Unlikely I know, but the point is we just don't know untill it's announced.

A higher resolution display could initially cost a bit more because it is not common, but the main driver of a screen cost at the same technology is its size.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
If Apple introduces a retina display on an iPad while retaining or even just staying close to the current price point, I would be very impressed.

To the posters saying that screen size affects price more than resolution, that's true in general, but you need to keep in mind that a retina resolution on an iPad is an extremely high resolution, especially for a screen this size. This pretty much has to have a big effect on price, although Apple's huge supply change and high volume of production and purchasing will probably help offset that.

Seriously, think about it. If the retina display ends up being double the current resolution, it'll be 2,048x1,536... and that's a lot of pixels! especially for such a small screen. Advanced technology like that is never cheap, especially when it's brand new. But, I think Apple providing retina displays on iPads is inevitable. It's just a question of when. But we can clearly see that apple has focused on improving the graphics power of all the iOS devices.... so, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the rumours of a retina display in a iPad 3 that comes out in the near future turn out to be true. And with Apple's talented engineering teams, I also wouldn't be surprised if they can do it while maintaining a good price point.

And, I have to say, I would LOVE to see a retina display on an iPad. Personally, for me, after seeing retina displays on the iPhone 4 and 4S... there's no going back to seeing "big" blocky pixels on my screen! :)

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Frankly I haven't seen anyone really back up the need for a 300+dpi iPad so I'm thinking that Apple will either keep the same density or perhaps go slightly higher to something in the 1080-1200p range and conquer the outdoor issue first.
Every time I've seen an iPad I've always thought the backlight looked awfully uneven, bright on one side and dark on the other.

If Apple doesn't do a high/higher DPI display, then they might very well be switching to fix the flashlighting some iPads are prone to.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
or by using 2 bars with a much lower pixel density (including perhaps the same) they might be able to produce an iPad that doesn't go practically black in sunlight and shut up the naysayers over said issue.

Frankly I haven't seen anyone really back up the need for a 300+dpi iPad so I'm thinking that Apple will either keep the same density or perhaps go slightly higher to something in the 1080-1200p range and conquer the outdoor issue first. More brightness, better sensor, perhaps major improvements on that oleo phobic coating with a touch of anti-glare tossed in. Any displays higher than that might be test units for the iPad 4, 5 or even 6. After all they don't design these things overnight.

It would most likely still be under 300ppi. An exact doubling of the current resolution gives you 264ppi. But anyway, I'll give you a great reason to increase the pixel density: Chinese characters (and those derived from them). Take a look...

toshiba-498ppi-display-2.jpg

As you can see the pixel density makes a big difference with how accurately these characters can be rendered. And given that there are thousands of these characters, that's a big deal.

Last edited:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
If Apple releases a retina iPad 3, I will sell my iPad 2 and upgrade once again. The retina display on the iPhone 4S is such an improvement over my iPhone 3GS. I actually find I enjoy looking at the iPhone screen even though sometimes the iPad is handy... Something very soothing on the eyes with that much pixel density.

I had seen the iPhone 4 display, but never used it continually. I always thought it was beautiful, but did not realize what a difference it makes.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK

As a reading device, the iPad ideally needs a retina display. Try reading a magazine on it - that's not modified for iPad use directly but is a PDF reproduction of a physical magazine such as those in the Zinio app. You cannot comfortably read such magazine without zooming in all the time because small text is too blurry.

I love my iPad but in order to read the magazines that I'd like to on it in comfort (e.g. New Scientist), it needs a retina display. For this reason I'll upgrade as soon as one is released. Everything else is just fine on my iPad.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
IF Apple is doing an Apple TV, they will probably make the iPad 3's screen 1080p, so that iPad apps will work with the tv at netive res, and so they don't have to have 4 copies of each element in iOS and each app.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Give me a higher resolution display and I buy an iPad or whatever other tablet can give me that. My main use for these things would be reading PDF files and even though the iPad 2 can deliver that I am not too happy with how fonts look in full page view.

I don't care much for battery life, you often use these things close to a power outlet anyway. But I do care about weight and hope they can make it less heavy in the future, too.

For all that I'm very willing to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.