Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
They're going to start paying a dividend.

Yes, but that's something to announce at the stockholders meeting not an employee town hall - and I realize most employees also own.

It's likely just a pep rally and maybe new employee incentives. It's not a product announcement either.

artnotwar

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2011
I'm just hoping it's a teleportation device. I've been patiently waiting a long while for this. Even a handheld Teleportation device I'll be happy with, for now anyway...

Another possibility is expandable storage that is compatible with my brain. That's something I would invest in.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Thanks to everyone's hard work, we're off to a great start in 2012.

Please join me tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. in Town Hall.

Tim
------

It's good to see Tim Cook thanking the employees for their efforts.

While it may not seem like much to some, it's far more recognition than the team received from the prior CEO.

While today's specifics reveal Apples financial success, employee morale is quite likely to be at it's highest ever.

Tim Cook is one classy guy.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
If you are not an Apple employee there is no real need to care.

It will probably be exciting for those who work there* but Town Halls are common in big corporations. It's a way to bring employees up to speed with company news, announce promotions, take questions and announce changes to things like benefits and incentives.

The only minor note of interest is that Town Halls can sometimes be places to announce major corporate shakeups or acquisitions. In which case you can also expect a press release at about the same time.

* these things never are at my company but you never know

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Probably some sort of employee profit sharing. They've gotta use some of that cash, and a one time or company performance based grant to employees is a decent way to do it.

My first thought on reading the post. Profit sharing/bonus/something for the employees. Who cares about the shareholders - they're just like the consumers, they'll keep buying no matter what. Look after you own and make them happy.

----------

FYI... the free company coffee is ALREADY Starbucks.

FYI... the free coffee at my non-profit is already Starbucks. From Staples. Always shipped next day for free. Thanks, Staples!

hgm

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
no more OSX

Apple will announce that they'll abandon the Pro line of computers, including MacBooks and OSX.
Their consumer end of the product line has been so successful that they are no longer interested in their formerly loyal professional customers.
There is more revenue in the i-Hype, so why bother about the rest of us.
Have you seen any news about their maybe fixing the Lion problems for good?

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
This is all great fun if you want the next must-have gadget, but absolute torture if your business depends on Apple. As an example, would anyone bet the farm on there being any desktop Macs at all in their offering in five years (not just Mac Pros which seem to be already EOLd)? Apple either don't understand this, or they just don't care. Should we make the jump to the dreaded PCs now or suffer for another few years before the Apple comes clean? Would it kill them to at least give out some broad indication of their long-term intent without giving away any trade secrets? That said, they are making their shareholders happy and that's the main thing, right.

Last edited:

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Quote:
Thanks to everyone's hard work, we're off to a great start in 2012.

Please join me tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. in Town Hall.

Tim
------

It's good to see Tim Cook thanking the employees for their efforts.

While it may not seem like much to some, it's far more recognition than the team received from the prior CEO.

While today's specifics reveal Apples financial success, employee morale is quite likely to be at it's highest ever.

Tim Cook is one classy guy.

I'm sorry, but you're full of it. Amazing how many people come out of the woodwork after Steve's death with revisionist history, trying to make him seem like the devil. Steve made it a point, at the end of every single keynote, to profusely thank the employees of Apple and their families, and requests applause for them. Further, in pretty much every interview and speech of him I've seen, he always mentions that the most important thing about Apple are it's employees, and constantly gushes about their hard work, performance, ingenuity, intelligence, etc and how lucky Apple is to have such an amazing team.

So you're full of it, and distorting history in order to speak ill of the dead is a very special pet peeve of mine. Such a classless and nasty thing to do, especially when there's not a shred of truth in it.

----------

This is all great fun if you want the next must-have gadget, but absolute torture if your business depends on Apple. As an example, would anyone bet the farm on there being any desktop Macs at all in their offering in five years (not just Mac Pros which seem to be already EOLd)? Apple either don't understand this, or they just don't care. Should we make the jump to the dreaded PCs now or suffer for another few years before the Apple comes clean? Would it kill them to at least give out some broad indication of their long-term intent without giving away any trade secrets? That said, they are making their shareholders happy and that's the main thing, right.

If you honestly thing Apple is going to drop their mac line in the next few years, you've got more than a few screws loose. I like the fact that you make up some fantasy scenario that you hypothesize will happen without a shred of evidence, then put the blame on Apple for 'not understanding/not caring' as if you assume they will follow through with whatever the voices in your head are telling you. Yes, I will bet the farm there will be macs in 5 years. And the next 5 after that. Their mac line is growing by like 20% a quarter, while the rest of the PC industry is stagnating. I own the newest Macbook Air, and it's easily the best lapto, and the best computer I've ever owned. Lion is the best OS I've ever used. I have no clue what people are talking about when they refer to Apple 'neglecting' their mac line. They're still out-innovating and out-engineering everyone else in the field. Years after the orignal MBA was released, there still isn't any decent competition in the ultra-book segment, MBPs are still considered best in class, as is the iMac for all-in-ones.

But hey, feel free to make the jump to PCs now, just in case your conspiracy theory about Apple 'coming clean' comes true the day APple decides to commit suicide.

hgm

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
language :-(

I'm sorry, but you're full of it. Amazing how many people come out of the woodwork after Steve's death with revisionist history, trying to make him seem like the devil. Steve made it a point, at the end of every single keynote, to profusely thank the employees of Apple and their families, and requests applause for them. Further, in pretty much every interview and speech of him I've seen, he always mentions that the most important thing about Apple are it's employees, and constantly gushes about their hard work, performance, ingenuity, intelligence, etc and how lucky Apple is to have such an amazing team.

So you're full of it, and distorting history in order to speak ill of the dead is a very special pet peeve of mine. Such a classless and nasty thing to do, especially when there's not a shred of truth in it.
[…]

If you were able to tame your tongue and, maybe, think a little, and if you had been with Apple long enough, you too would wonder about their increaing neglect of the Pro line and OSX.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

DTphonehome said:

Company newsletter. Mark my words.

Distributed on iBooks 2, no doubt.

:p

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Apple will announce that they'll abandon the Pro line of computers, including MacBooks and OSX.
Their consumer end of the product line has been so successful that they are no longer interested in their formerly loyal professional customers.
There is more revenue in the i-Hype, so why bother about the rest of us.
Have you seen any news about their maybe fixing the Lion problems for good?

They simply do not need to do this, which would only serve to alienate some of their base. Not huge part of their base, but still. Even if it is not particularly profitable, they are otherwise making so much money now in general, that this end of Apple shouldn't really be a big deal to keep going even if it only breaks even. I do see it evolving over the next few years though. At some point I do expect the big box on the floor to morph a bit. I wouldn't bet on this year though, but who knows for sure at this stage. The delay for the Mac Pro for instance has been all Intel up to this point.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I'm just hoping it's a teleportation device. I've been patiently waiting a long while for this. Even a handheld Teleportation device I'll be happy with, for now anyway...

Another possibility is expandable storage that is compatible with my brain. That's something I would invest in.

I think I will wait for Version 2 of both but not as late as 4S which is guaranteed to be a disappointment!! ;)

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Tim is going to come out and tell everyone that Steve Jobs downloaded his
consciousness into their new data center before he died...

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Tim is going to come out and tell everyone that Steve Jobs downloaded his
consciousness into their new data center before he died...
Someone else saw the movie FreeJack... Or maybe a glimpse at the time portal on the campus...

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
They simply do not need to do this, which would only serve to alienate some of their base. Not huge part of their base, but still. Even if it is not particularly profitable, they are otherwise making so much money now in general, that this end of Apple shouldn't really be a big deal to keep going even if it only breaks even. I do see it evolving over the next few years though. At some point I do expect the big box on the floor to morph a bit. I wouldn't bet on this year though, but who knows for sure at this stage. The delay for the Mac Pro for instance has been all Intel up to this point.

So why don't they just say something like "we are committed to the Mac Pro and OSX for at least the next xx years, but it will evolve to allow our commercial customers to evolve with us" or "we will move away from the high-end markets towards the consumer as that is clearly where the big bucks are." Then we can all get on with our work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.