Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frame1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hi - New on here.

I have recently moved to live in a household where there is already wifi set up. My Timecapsule for now is just being used to back up my 2 computers. Also to provide a local network for wireless printing and access between the two macs.

Is it right that it should now flash amber all the time or should it be green?

Hope someone can help me.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Sorry for the d***ish response above. Welcome!

Flashing amber: Your Time Capsule can’t establish a connection to the network orthe Internet, or is encountering a problem. Make sure you haveinstalled AirPort Utility and use it to get information about whatmight cause the status light to flash amber. See “If Your TimeCapsule Status Light Flashes Amber”.

The manual:
manuals.info.apple.com/en/TimeCapsule_SetupGuide.pdfSimilar

Frame1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Honestly - did you even try a Google search first?

No - a properly set up TC shouldn't flash amber all the time.

Thank you for your reply. In answer to your question, yes I did do a Google search first, and check some forums, but it still flashes amber.

I don't understand why hence my asking for some help.

Thanks

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
It's flashing amber probably because it's not connected to the internet. You can through through the setup and have your TC extend the in-house network. I think in the setup it asks if you want to create a new network or join a current network. Re-run the setup in Airport Utility and choose to join the current network and you should see that light turn green. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's flashing amber to let you know a firmware update is available. :eek:

Mine doesn't flash amber with an update. In fact I'm a version down and it only pops up a reminder to d/l the update from time to time.

Mine flashes amber a lot and when that occurs I lose all connectivity. I'm thinking its on its way out.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Mine doesn't flash amber with an update. In fact I'm a version down and it only pops up a reminder to d/l the update from time to time.

Mine flashes amber a lot and when that occurs I lose all connectivity. I'm thinking its on its way out.

Mine flashed amber a few weeks ago and it was a signal that I had an update available.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Mine flashed amber a few weeks ago and it was a signal that I had an update available.

I'm down a version and it never flashes amber to remind me. A pop up window occurs telling me, but the router itself stays steady green. The only time I see a flashing amber color is when I lose connectivity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.