Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
No FireWire, no daisy chaining and a single USB 3.0 port. 250$.

Wow.

Every time a new Thunderbolt product is announced, I feel more and more like the Thunderbolt Display is a good deal.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
If at least Matrox would have added their DualHead2Go technology to this thing it would have been innovative (and somewhat worth the price)...

pdman

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
This stuff adds up when purchased separately... so why do we expect to pay less when integrated together?

Gigabit ethernet card - $30
DVI Card - $40
2 Port USB 3.0 card - $50
sound card - $20
Thunderbolt Cable - $40
Firewire 400 card - $20
Firewire 800 card - $40

Thunderbolt chipset cost ?
New Tech Premium cost ?

esquared

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
No deal

No FW 400 or 800, no 2nd TB port. No deal. What are they thinking? Looks like a rush to market.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Wish it had another TB port on it. Guess it'll be the end of the chain.

My thoughts exactly. For that price, it should've contained an HDMI-out and another TB port. I'm not saying I want it to have everything, but for $250, it should provide more AV solutions. As it stands, now you'll just be asking around for a DVI cord instead of mini-DisplayPort. For that much money, it should really provide a solution that issue.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Why have 1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports? Isn't USB 3.0 backwards compatible? Why not just have 3 USB 3.0 ports?

And like others are saying... no second TB port, no HDMI out (whose bright idea was it to only have DVI??), no FireWire, no deal.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
No firewire?

Only one DVI output? Is it at least dual-link so I can use a 27" monitor?

Where's the TB port?

Only 2 USB 2.0 ports and 1 USB 3.0 ports?

Thunderbolt is a joke for anything other than high-$, high-speed storage.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I think we are all passing it over here because it is really aimed at Ultrabook owners, not Mac owners. It has what a PC user would expect on their box. PC users don't want or need Firewire or even Thunderbolt beyond connecting to the docking station. And the docking station will handle a computer monitor, wired Ethernet, speaker system and their USB peripherals just fine.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Maybe Apple is depending on things like this to take care of the pro market in the future, or maybe they will come up with an Apple branded docking station (other than the monitor) that incorporates some of the things we expect MacBook Pros to lack and even replace the Mac Pro. You can use the dock to add peripherals (optical drive, extra hard drives, etc.) and take care of things like a possibly missing Ethernet port. The only thing that I don't know how well it could handle is upping the performance with enhanced or added graphics cards. But I can definitely see Apple encouraging people to buy a base unit in the form of a laptop and then make it a desktop through a docking station.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Maybe Apple is depending on things like this to take care of the pro market in the future, or maybe they will come up with an Apple branded docking station (other than the monitor) that incorporates some of the things we expect MacBook Pros to lack and even replace the Mac Pro. ...But I can definitely see Apple encouraging people to buy a base unit in the form of a laptop and then make it a desktop through a docking station.

The 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display *is* Apple's answer to the docking station. It provides power, USB, Firewire, Ethernet, speakers, display, camera, and extends the Thunderbolt port. You could hardly ask for more in a docking station, although you might ask for less!

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
What executive looks at this and says, "Yeah that has everything we need. It'll kill." Honestly, though. How does that person still have that gig? Everyone here can see that it doesn't remotely seem like a good fit in the market.

It's like the ginormous women walking around in skin tight clothes thinking they look good. Everyone knows they don't...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Since they aren't going to released it till September, maybe it's not too laye to ask for a V2.0 system near the same time frame.

USB2 powered option, dual or triple display output including 1 HDMI w/audio.

Second TB port so it is in the middle of the chain and a crippled device can be at the end.

That's probably why the Belkin unit is $50 more BTW.

Rocketman

sloan47

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
The USB 3.0 port (even though there's only one) is really tempting. I have a couple of USB 3 devices I need to use for work and paired with a USB 3 hub this may work for me.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
No firewire in either flavor,
No HDMI,
Only 3 USB ports,
and why have the TB port on the front and everything else on the back?

Think I'll pass...

Firewire is all but dead. Who needs it if there is USB 3.0? TB port is on the front because it's a docking station - this way it's easier to connect your laptop to it.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
This looks like a dock I could pick of for a ****** Dell laptop for $5. It does not offer anything useful... DVI? Honestly? Why not at least offer HDMI also? and why no other thunderbolt port? I would be surprised if they sell a dozen.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Why aren't all three USB ports 3.0? Why would you bother with 2.0 ports in a device like this? Major fail.

And it should have at least one Firewire 800 port. Firewire still beats the pants off USB in sustained throughput.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Firewire is all but dead. Who needs it if there is USB 3.0? TB port is on the front because it's a docking station - this way it's easier to connect your laptop to it.

The problem is Matrox sells products for Audio and Video Pros. They should know that there are lots of legacy FW devices that people rely on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.