Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hwilensky

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Like the title says? What is the point of safari in the notification? What is the purpose for this?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
It seems as if certain websites can ask if you want to use notifications when you access the webpage, for example, Gmail.

I had no idea this would happen, but I went to my Gmail account within Safari 6 and noticed a message at the top of the page that said "Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail."

So it seems webpages such as google (and who knows who else) can send notifications through safari without the need of a native app.

Here's a screenshot of the message at the top of my gmail page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 10.50.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 10.50.36 AM.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 196

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
Yeah, I've got the gmail one disabled anyway because I have gmail set up within the "Mail" app anyways, so I don't need the notification twice. But I'm sure as time goes on, other sites may allow for this functionality.

Hwilensky

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Would be great if sites like espn and cnn would work? I just hooked up gmail. I will wait to see what the benefit of it is? I guess if gmail is linked up to it, then you do not need to leave your mail application open to receive mail.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
It seems as if certain websites can ask if you want to use notifications when you access the webpage, for example, Gmail.

I had no idea this would happen, but I went to my Gmail account within Safari 6 and noticed a message at the top of the page that said "Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail."

So it seems webpages such as google (and who knows who else) can send notifications through safari without the need of a native app.

Here's a screenshot of the message at the top of my gmail page.
Gmail notifications have been around for quite some time now. Do they directly integrate into Notification Center or do they still use Growl?

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
If you want to see Safari notifications in action go to:

http://studio.html5rocks.com/#Time!

It is simple to code this into the websites. I don't know why more haven't activated yet.

----------

Gmail notifications have been around for quite some time now. Do they directly integrate into Notification Center or do they still use Growl?

Growl 2 (the next version) will integrate Growl notifications into NC. For a temporary solution you can use Hiss (Google for it).

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Does the websites need to remain open or does this use server-sent events or similar? i.e - can notification centre still receive g-mail events if I close gmail.com?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does the websites need to remain open or does this use server-sent events or similar? i.e - can notification centre still receive g-mail events if I close gmail.com?

The page needs to remain open, which seems to me really reduces the benefit of this feature.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
The page needs to remain open, which seems to me really reduces the benefit of this feature.
Yeah, it sounds like it'd still work best with an intermediary that can maintain a bunch of server event streams or similar in order to handle notifications.

I wonder then; would it work if you took a website with notifications support and used the open in dashboard tool to shove it on your dashboard as a widget instead?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.