Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

M.I.C. Gadget reports on photos and a video that have surfaced on Chinese site Vgooo.com [Google translation] claiming to show an iPhone 5 that boots to a screen warning that the device is not associated with a registered developer account. Several apparent features of the device do, however, call its authenticity into question, and so we are primarily posting this for interest and discussion at this point.

white_iphone_5_vgooo_1.jpg

The video shows the device attempting to boot but being directed to a version of the error screen that appears when activation can not be completed. Rather than linking to the iPhone developer portal, however, the text contains a placeholder string of "@@url@@".

One questionable aspect of the device is the presence of a fourth hole or window at the top front of the device that has generally not been visible from the front in previous part leaks. In the iPhone 5, the camera has been moved to above the earpiece, swapping places with the proximity sensor that moves to the left of the earpiece. This leaked device contains a small fourth hole to the left of the camera, and while previous photos showing the backside of the front panel do indeed show the window, it is has not been visible from the front in any previous leaked photos.

white_iphone_5_vgooo_2.jpg

This leaked device also contains a rather odd-looking home button in comparison to the home button seen on the iPhone 4S placed next to it in the photos and video. Apple has tweaked the design of the home button for the iPhone 5, but the button shown in the video appears to be a somewhat poor match for the device itself.

Otherwise, identifying information on the device has been either covered up or digitally obscured, rendering any specific model number or other information impossible to read.

Article Link: 'Leaked' iPhone 5 Shown Booting Up to Developer Program Error Screen

carrako

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
I want to call fake because of the odd home button and light sensor not inline with the ear speaker. Doesnt look right.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Since it lacks the microphone on top, I'm guessing the "forth" hole is the microphone on the front. Keep in mind the iPhone 4S has two microphones.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
i like how the sides are white too instead of brushed aluminim. sleek.

is anyone running ios6 seeing that the apple kind of "pops" when it's done booting on 4/4S phones?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wonder why the logo and text on the back was taped over. It isn't like anyone wouldn't be able to guess what it was.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Proximity sensors?

That's why I never liked white iPhones - the black one hides all that guff much better.

Home button does look a bit weird though. And at 0:17 when he turns it the front screen looks mighty peculiar like it's popping out or something... Hmm...

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Home button looks fake, notice how the square is off centre. It also looks totally transparent in the video, leading me to believe this is fake.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
At least it boots slightly faster than the 4S - about 34 seconds. But couldn't Apple do better on boot times? My Mac boots a lot faster than that.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
If the smaller hole was a last minute addition of a LED notification light, I would be pleased (and it would be invisible on the black version).

Only thing that leads me to believe it is fake is the boot time seems pretty comparable to the 4S, which is sad.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I was thinking about buying a white iPhone next time...

...but if that's legit, I'll stick to a black one. All the sensors on the front are just fugly. To me, anyway. Just sharing my personal opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.