Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

kingy04

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
i get my replacement tomorrow, complained on fri so not a bad turn around from apple..

i still haven't arranged pickup of my chipped phone so will have 2 iphone 5's for a couple of dayz :p

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Leaving aside those WOW dents in some phones, I wonder how many people would've noticed tiny imperfections if this issue hadn't been this spread. I mean, I can't recall myself looking at my 4S in the launch day with a magnifying glass, and I bet a lot of us would've found something if we had.

You don't have to look at it with a magnifying glass. It's black showing silver. It's pretty obvious when you look at it.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Mine came with a chip in the metal. I've ordered my replacement and will swap it next week. :)

Appleuser.net

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Made a very disheartening decision today. I'm returning my iPhone 5.

I preordered the 32 GB Black. When it arrived - it was stunning - but then I noticed a few small dings and scuffs.

I said that it'd be ok and I'd live with it.

Went out last night and was uber careful with it - but I was astonished to find 3 more scuffs the morning.

This is my belief is utterly unacceptable. We pay so much for these phones, and the paint work is basically falling apart.

Those of you who have the Black - be ever so careful.

Also - those on this forum who are content with this scuffing are utterly beyond comprehension. £700 for a phone - and for this to happen - it's beyond words.

I'll wait until Christmas and find out if Apple have done anything about this situation by then.

Last edited:

Horbags

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
The ip5 was to be my first iphone, but I rang up and cancelled my pre-order today. I placed the order well over a week before the ip5 was released and got an SMS on the night of the release telling me they had just received my order.... That's 5 or 6 business days after I placed it, and that I would receive another SMS within 4 days telling me my estimated delivery date (which is sure to be weeks from now). Then with 4 out of every 5 phones turning out to be scuffed or chipped I just thought "**** it, I'll go with the galaxy s3 instead". It's disappointing because I had been quite anti-apple for so long but finally caved and bought an iPad 3 this year and it changed my mind about apple being a ****** company until now. It seems quality control and customer service died with Steve jobs.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
The ip5 was to be my first iphone, but I rang up and cancelled my pre-order today. I placed the order well over a week before the ip5 was released and got an SMS on the night of the release telling me they had just received my order.... That's 5 or 6 business days after I placed it, and that I would receive another SMS within 4 days telling me my estimated delivery date (which is sure to be weeks from now). Then with 4 out of every 5 phones turning out to be scuffed or chipped I just thought "**** it, I'll go with the galaxy s3 instead". It's disappointing because I had been quite anti-apple for so long but finally caved and bought an iPad 3 this year and it changed my mind about apple being a ****** company until now. It seems quality control and customer service died with Steve jobs.

Really? You decided to go to a less superior platform just because your phone may or may not have some slight damage to its body? Chances are, you would've gotten that damage after a while of normal use, assuming you're careless and use your iPhone 5 without a case.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
Really? You decided to go to a less superior platform just because your phone may or may not have some slight damage to its body? Chances are, you would've gotten that damage after a while of normal use, assuming you're careless and use your iPhone 5 without a case.

Less superior? I dunno. There are a lot of reasons why I keep an Android phone around. ;)

But really, what does that have to do with the obvious build quality problems many are experiencing with this device??

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

I preordered the 32 GB Black. When it arrived - it was stunning - but then I noticed a few small dings and scuffs.

Went out last night and was uber careful with it - but I was astonished to find 3 more scuffs the morning.

This is my belief is utterly unacceptable. We pay so much for these phones, and the paint work is basically falling apart.

Those of you who have the Black - be ever so careful. I treated mine better than a 3 day old child...

Also - those on this forum who are content with this scuffing are utterly beyond comprehension. £700 for a phone - and for this to happen - it's beyond words.

I'll wait until Christmas and find out if Apple have done anything about this situation by then.

I agree with you, for that much money I want it to be durable to a point. I was undecided what to do, having noticed a few more scuffs, so went to the apple store to see how the white and black were holding up after the weekend. Must admit the black ones had quite a few scuffs, especially around the charging dock, the white ones had the same scratches to be honest as people miss the lightning adapter while putting the phone back, but the black one were so much more obvious. The white one will look much much better a few months down the track. So, also making a decision to return my black model, I will either keep my iphone 4, or get a white 5. The big bonus of keeping the 4 is that it has excellent working maps.... big worry with apple maps is that it is so wrong at times, and it will take ages to get right, as its about the data and not coding.

The black would have been awesome! Had they used PVD or DLC coating, using anodised on a phone that is used daily needs to be durable, is a fail.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Don't worry guys, Apple just updated their site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,539

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
Maybe you should read the post that was quoted...

Once again I ask, what does that have to do with anything?

Some don't want to take the chance that the phone they have ordered will arrive with damage. Some find it better to return them and just wait until a later date or until such time as they can pick one out in person.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Once again I ask, what does that have to do with anything?

Some don't want to take the chance that the phone they have ordered will arrive with damage. Some find it better to return them and just wait until a later date or until such time as they can pick one out in person.

Yet again, read the original post that I was replying to.

Horbags

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012

Less superior?.... Lol

Anyway, I'm not a loyal apple fan boy that will buy anything just because its got the apple logo on it. I wanted an iPhone 5 because I thought they were high quality devices that deserved their high price tag, turns out they're nothing more than shoddy crap that looks 6 months old right out of the box. People on here bag Samsung or other phones for being plastic, well my old Samsung galaxy is more than 2 years old and hasn't got a scratch on it.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Less superior?.... Lol

Anyway, I'm not a loyal apple fan boy that will buy anything just because its got the apple logo on it. I wanted an iPhone 5 because I thought they were high quality devices that deserved their high price tag, turns out they're nothing more than shoddy crap that looks 6 months old right out of the box. People on here bag Samsung or other phones for being plastic, well my old Samsung galaxy is more than 2 years old and hasn't got a scratch on it.

Ah, a class-A troll. Move along...

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I received my 16GB black iP5 on Friday like many others. It remained in my pocket most of the time with nothing else in there. These were loose fitting dress pants, so nothing that should scratch it up. When I have put it down somewhere wether its to charge it or whatever, Im very ginger with it.

I have 5-6 scuffs all over my phone now. I only had one small one out of the box (that I noticed at least). Since I ordered through Verizon, I thought to call them first. Mistake on my part, they wouldn't help at all and only offered to return it for a full refund. I'll have to give Apple a call on my lunch break and hopefully get somewhere with them.

Horbags

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Ah, a class-A troll. Move along...

Hahaha "he doesn't blindly love apple despite their crappy device, he's a troll!!!"

I'm no troll, as I said, I bit the bullet and joined the crowd in regards to apple when I bought an iPad 3, then was actually looking forward to the ip5 to the point that I preordered one. But after what I've seen and heard so far from the people who've gotten theirs, I'm happy I cancelled it.

macaronia

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
To those who say the iPhone 4/S was a better design than the iPhone 5, I say given a choice between this:

iphone-4-broken.jpg

and this:

scuff-gate-iphone-5-sehr-anfallig-auf-kratzer-L-FqU46l.png

I know what I'd choose! lol

1kendoll

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Actually I have a white iPhone 5 and I am just as upset this does not seem too be only reg the black nor does the black look worse When it scratches than the white as my partner has black so we compare. My iPhone 5 in white also came out of the box with scratches, I also had another issue it was overheating. I took it too apple for my Genius Bar appointment regarding the overheating message that continued to pop up then shut my phone off by itself and NOT the scratches. I was givin a new phone that had an issue as well, the ringer switch was stuck it wouldn't move. I came back and was givin another phone, well that's the phone I have now. Right when they handed it too me I noticed a Ding on the side of the phone as well as a buch of pits on the back where the metal is. The pits are all over the apple symbol and on parts of the metal. It looks refurbished. I requested another replacement and it was DENIED! An apple rep as well as the store manager stated "we can't replace it again for you because this is considered a cosmetic issue, we do not cover cosmetic issues under warranty" I said so if you went and bought a brand new luxury vehicle wich this in my eyes compares too, and the delivered it too you with scratches on it would you accept it. They chucled and said "scratches and normal wear N tear will happen over time so if we were to replace phones due to scratches , well we would be doing nothing else all day but just that" ok seriously I understand a year down the road but not two days I mean gosh give me a chance to enjoy my flawless phone for a while before it starts looking used. ! I'm a LOYAL apple consumer however I'm NOT happy at all... Give me your thoughts 1kendoll

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Anadizing does this if I'm not mistaken.

Should be similar to the iPods anodizing. Anybody have any pictures of ipods scratched?

You are mistaken. Anodizing only penetrates a few thousandths of an inch into the surface of the aluminum (typically .005" max). The iPod touch website says the color isn't painted on, and is actually part of the metal. To quote the site:

It’s because they’re bonded right to the aluminum — not just painted on the surface. So you see saturated color that still lets the luster of the metal shine through.

This means that some thickness of the metal actually has the color you see, that it isn't just a layer of paint on top of the aluminum. You cannot anodize a piece of aluminum and introduce a color to its entire thickness unless that aluminum is very, very, very thin.

If you scratch it deeply enough you will go through the anodized/dyed layer, exposing raw aluminum.

Aluminum is softer than glass, so it is always, regardless of where it's used and by whom, more sucseptible to scratching. It is stronger and won't shatter when dropped, but will still scratch.

nhetrick

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
I received my 16GB black iP5 on Friday like many others. It remained in my pocket most of the time with nothing else in there. These were loose fitting dress pants, so nothing that should scratch it up. When I have put it down somewhere wether its to charge it or whatever, Im very ginger with it.

I have 5-6 scuffs all over my phone now. I only had one small one out of the box (that I noticed at least). Since I ordered through Verizon, I thought to call them first. Mistake on my part, they wouldn't help at all and only offered to return it for a full refund. I'll have to give Apple a call on my lunch break and hopefully get somewhere with them.

I went about it the other way around, talked to apple last night and they told me since I ordered through Verizon that I needed to take it in to them and that they should replace it.

Cobalt`

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007

Those of you who have the Black - be ever so careful.

A wise decision. No one should -ever- settle for a less than perfect product out of the box, and especially for one that isn't durable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.