Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
To those who say the iPhone 4/S was a better design than the iPhone 5, I say given a choice between this:

and this:

I know what I'd choose! lol

Haha yeah me too.

What people don't seem to realize is that that picture of the scratches could be done to ANYTHING made out of aluminum. Take a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro, iPad, iPhone, iPod, the hood of most modern cars (under the paint)and scraped the case with a sharp metal object and you'll get the same effect. Obviously its more noticeable when you go through the anodized layer and expose un-dyed aluminum on a slate/black iPhone.

1kendoll

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I'm sick of people posting things talking about how we should not care about scratches out of the box or from setting your phone down , because its going to get scratched after having the phone for a while. ! Guess what it doesn't matter if it happens later it shouldn't be the second you take it out of the box. And also guess what, it's not guaranteed too have scratches after use because I have a iPhone 2G the original with the metal back, guess what I've babied that device and years later It has zero ( 0 ) scratches!

Homersapien

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Picked up a black 5 yesterday (no lines, no wait!). Had a scuff in the edge right out of the box. Talked to two other people who were purchasing at the same time, both of their phones also had scuffs. I felt a little guilty pointing them out, but I just had to know :D

Not what I'd expect from a "premium" device.

Cobalt`

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
To those who say the iPhone 4/S was a better design than the iPhone 5, I say given a choice between this:

and this:

Well for one, this thread is mostly about the nicks/chipping or scuff and for the majority here they're out of the box. The broken glass you see there on the 4 isn't out of box (neither is your second photo)

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Launch day iPhone 4 metal band is almost perfect to this day (was later converted to white) so that's 2.5 years-ish.

Launch day iPhone 5, 3 days old. Wear and tear in pocket with keys/coins and general use. Same level of care as the above phone.

iPhone 4 metal band is stainless steel, which is harder than the iPhone 5 aluminum, and less susceptible to scratching. iPhone 5, black, shows the scratches more because it is anodized/dyed black and the bare aluminum underneath provides more of a contrast.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I realize this isn't going to happen (at least not in this thread) but I wish we could separate the obvious and undeniable issue that something caused almost 40% of respondents here to have received damaged goods from the assumption that the entire design/process is defective.

On this poll, less than 10% have reported damage since unpacking an otherwise flawless phone. There is simply no way at this time to declare that the iPhone 5 design and/or manufacturing process is flawed.

To be clear - this in no way diminishes our anger at the fact that so many seem to have been damaged either during production or shipping. Those simply must be dealt with by Apple and the carriers. No question.

Going from that to saying all phones need to be recalled or that there's no hope for this design, is a leap not yet supported by data.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I'm sick of people posting things talking about how we should not care about scratches out of the box or from setting your phone down , because its going to get scratched after having the phone for a while. ! Guess what it doesn't matter if it happens later it shouldn't be the second you take it out of the box. And also guess what, it's not guaranteed too have scratches after use because I have a iPhone 2G the original with the metal back, guess what I've babied that device and years later It has zero ( 0 ) scratches!

All cellphones scratch.

A week after you own your cellphone you don't care anyway. It becomes as important to you as a blender. The iPhone 5's job is about providing reliable content on a piece of glass. The edge of the phone has no functional value other than to help you grip it. Scuffs don't interfere with grip, therefore there's nothing wrong with the iPhone 5.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I realize this isn't going to happen (at least not in this thread) but I wish we could separate the obvious and undeniable issue that something caused almost 40% of respondents here to have received damaged goods from the assumption that the entire design/process is defective.

On this poll, less than 10% have reported damage since unpacking an otherwise flawless phone. There is simply no way at this time to declare that the iPhone 5 design and/or manufacturing process is flawed.

To be clear - this in no way diminishes our anger at the fact that so many seem to have been damaged either during production or shipping. Those simply must be dealt with by Apple and the carriers. No question.

Going from that to saying all phones need to be recalled or that there's no hope for this design, is a leap not yet supported by data.

Only unhappy people complain in online internet polls. Happy people have no reason to seek them out. So the 40% merely represents the amount of unhappy people that are taking the time to vote. Not scientific.

I haven't read a groundswell of articles on this issue nor is Apple addressing it. Just a couple of hundred buyers with a few superficial scuffs. Return the phone if it bothers you, get a new one, move on.

BJ

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Most of the problems people have in life are based around the fact that their expectations don't match reality.

The expectation is that this phone should be perfect out of the box (and I don't disagree), but what evidence do you have to prove that is the case?

The expectation, based on everything we have seen (and common sense), is that you can find the tiniest flaws in every product.

If your expectations match that reality, you won't be upset. This is my new mantra to get over device OCD :)

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
With all of these complaints surely everyone can agree that something went drastically wrong at the manufacture of these.
I don't know whether it was the over-worked employees or machining of the cases but I have no doubts that apple have engineers over there now making sure that the next batch will be right.
If you're not happy at the moment, I would wait it out.
I am waiting for the desmay case and power support film to arrive before I upgrade so luckily for me I can wait this one out.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
All cellphones scratch.

A week after you own your cellphone you don't care anyway. It becomes as important to you as a blender. The iPhone 5's job is about providing reliable content on a piece of glass. The edge of the phone has no functional value other than to help you grip it. Scuffs don't interfere with grip, therefore there's nothing wrong with the iPhone 5.

BJ

hmmmm, Do you own other apple devices/computers? If so, why? why pay the premium over a dell?

Sorry, Apple users pay a premium for their devices, and that price should include a level of durability. Id be pissed if my MBP scratched as easily as the new iphone 5.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
My 5 black/slate was perfect out box and still is thanks to be being super careful. I do prefer back over white but considering how much more noticable a scratch on the black model will be I'm sorry I did not go white.

That being said I have 3 different cases on order. Sadly it will have to go into one for protection.

superego

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009

and this:

Comparing two bad designs doesn't make either one good. Glass is more scratch resistant, but it can shatter. Aluminum scratches easily, but doesn't shatter. Apple should've chosen a material that is both durable and doesn't scratch easily.

araey

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto, Ontario.
I got my ip5 64 GB Black yesterday at the apple store.

They opened it for me and i looked it over and saw two small spec issues on the band.

I asked if i could replace with another and they opened another one. This one was sizeably chipped on the bottom chamfer.

They said they couldn't open any more so i had to pick between the two flawed phones lol.

They then went on to say that the process of creating the phones is so difficult that if we opened 25 more boxes for you, you would find a flaw in every single phone.

They also said that only about 20/100 you would find no flaws.

These were apple store employees.

I still cant believe they said this to me as i was buying the phone.

Unreal.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
hmmmm, Do you own other apple devices/computers? If so, why? why pay the premium over a dell?

Sorry, Apple users pay a premium for their devices, and that price should include a level of durability. Id be pissed if my MBP scratched as easily as the new iphone 5.

I presently own 3 iPads, 5 iPhones, 3 Apple TV's, 10+ iPods, 1 Airport Express, 1 MacBook, and 1 iMac.

I think back to the iPod Nano or iPod Touch when they first came out with their chrome backs and edges. Common sense said that those surfaces would get scratched if you placed them in a jeans pocket with or without coins/keys or down on a table. The fronts of those products never scratched, screens and control surfaces perfect. The first day you owned your Nano or Touch it was scuffed. There was no attempt at "Scuffgate". Customers knew the reality.

My iPod Nano 1 is in a drawer with pens and pencils, sliding around as an afterthought, hasn't been used in more than 5 years. Yet I could charge it up and it would work beautifully right this moment. The chrome is all scratched, but the front and screen and scroll wheel good as new.

A what quality score do you give my iPod Nano 1? A "3" because its all scratched up or a "10" because it functions as-new?

BJ

----------

I got my ip5 64 GB Black yesterday at the apple store.

They opened it for me and i looked it over and saw two small spec issues on the band.

I asked if i could replace with another and they opened another one. This one was sizeably chipped on the bottom chamfer.

They said they couldn't open any more so i had to pick between the two flawed phones lol.

They then went on to say that the process of creating the phones is so difficult that if we opened 25 more boxes for you, you would find a flaw in every single phone.

They also said that only about 20/100 you would find no flaws.

These were apple store employees.

I still cant believe they said this to me as i was buying the phone.

Unreal.

Most iPhone customers do not care about the bezel. It's the screen that matters. They understand that all mobile devices that live in pants pockets, purses, or car cupholders will get scuffed on the edges or on the back. It's not unexpected. A few dents the size of a pin aren't considered 'bad'. They're considered normal.

BJ

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
Most iPhone customers do not care about the bezel. It's the screen that matters. They understand that all mobile devices that live in pants pockets, purses, or car cupholders will get scuffed on the edges or on the back. It's not unexpected. A few dents the size of a pin aren't considered 'bad'. They're considered normal.

BJ

I think the point is that it should at least be defect free at the time of purchase. ......

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Your post is dripping with irony and falsehoods.

Neither is being the white knight great crusader of Apple and defending them to your dying breath. Reality check - your precious favorite Apple brand has flaws. It is not perfect. People like you don't like it when people are critical and say negative things about Apple and its products.

Life in Apple-land is not always going to be rainbows, balloons, lollipops and unicorns. There have been antenna problems. There have been battery problems. There have been yellow screen problems. And now there are scratched, beat up, scuffed problems. Perhaps none of those issues have happened to any of your iPhones. That doesn't mean they do not exist. Looking down your nose and being condescending towards those who have issues with their phones is troll like behavior.

And your $99,999 Rolex might have scratches all over it but my $79 Casio does not.

vaniteux

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
There's a good video on this page about Apple's anodizing process: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/apple-...how-apple-anodizes-aluminum-for-its-products/

Apple should have coated the aluminum parts of the iPhone similar to how Bamford (http://www.bamfordwatchdepartment.com/about-us.cfm?section=the-process) coats their watches (PVD), but I assume the cost is much higher and Apple was more concerned about profit margins rather than producing a quality product. I half agree with those that mentioned Steve Jobs would not have put up with this, but having said that, he did tell people to just hold their iPhone 4 in a different way. Who knows ...

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Apple try to do something nice for you lot and all you do is cry like babies. At this rate Johnny ives is going to say ****** it and you can all have your peice of ***** plastic phone....and go home.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I think the point is that it should at least be defect free at the time of purchase. ......

While that's a reasonable expectation, if the reality is that it's going to have scuffs 10 minutes after you own it why does it matter if they're there 10 minutes before? You want the right to scuff it yourself or something? Apple depriving you of that fun?

If there are thousands of these in the wild and people aren't complaining its because they understand that scuffing cellphones is inevitable. What comes out of the box has 'issues' the size of a pinhead, it's not a concern considering what happens a few minutes later when Mrs. Camry puts it in her purse.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.