Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Anyone received their replacement iPhone 5 yet? My status till shows replacement pending. Just want to confirm that's it a retail sealed new phone.

Sounds like you re-ordered the black one, which means you have to ignore the automatic email that comes out stating it will be October delivery time and ignore the status of "Delivery pending"

The Apple employee I spoke to this morning, said "Ignore all emails, don't worry if the status of your shipment doesn't move, this is going to be a priority delivery" she also stated it would be a brand new, sealed replacement.

She also said if you are asking for a replacement phone and it's a different colour, she will need to cancel the replacement order and order up a new model, which takes no time whatsoever, it will be done within an hour and then the new one will ship out priority

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
My black 64 has just arrived and has two chips in it out the box. Annoying, but not sire if I'll bother to send it back as it's going to get a lot more than this over the life of being owned.

Definitely a downer though! :rolleyes:

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
So here is the question, if I were selling this phone on eBay or to Amazon or some other third party place, they would ask for the condition of the phone. I would only be able to list it as used/good (even though it is brand new) and the buyer would therefore not give me full retail price right? So why then should anyone else expect me as the consumer/buyer to give Apple the full retail price of a phone that is only in good condition? This is the real crux of the matter. Will the phone scratch or dent with use? Yes, maybe even with regular case use it will. But in that instance it is ok, because it is USED. You should not expect a like new product to look used.

By the way I spoke with an Apple senior adviser yesterday. They are very aware of this issue and even asked me to send photos of the damage to give to their engineers who, according to who I spoke with, are actively looking into the problem.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
That was the back, not the sides where the problem is. See when he takes the knife to the side in that same video? Each time there are marks on the side.

is this a problem you have? taking a knife to the side of your phone? take care of your phone and it will be fine.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
My black iPhone 5 has a small chip to the right of the volume down button, just to the left of the display. Noticed it as soon as I got home from the AT&T Store. Will try and get it replaced today. If not, no rush.

panart

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Cyprus
Production week: 35 (September)
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: C3 (China)

Attachments

• iphone_5_bottom _corner.png
    iphone_5_bottom _corner.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,912
  • iphone_5_side.png
    iphone_5_side.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 4,185
  • iphone_5_side_below_nano_sim_tray.png
    iphone_5_side_below_nano_sim_tray.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 2,908
  • iphone_5_top.png
    iphone_5_top.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,897
  • iphone_5_top_corner.png
    iphone_5_top_corner.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,904

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxFx3xktAbQ&feature=youtu.be

does this mean that any plastic made material will not harm the chamfer and the back?

We'll now I know how some of the store phones have dings and gouges on them! Amazing. Well plastic is softer than aluminum. And most keys are brass or bronze aren't they? So that's a soft metal too.

I think the iPhone 5 back and edges will hold up as well or as poor as the MacBook pros Al 6000 anodized, once this issue is figured out by Apple.

Since it is the same material and process, all of us MacBook Pro owners should know what we are getting into, good or bad. Same with the front glass. Both we and Apple have lots of experience here. And isn't this what many if us asked Apple to do: make a metal iPhone once again? These are not unfamiliar materials to us.

But a manufacturing mistake is an anomaly, and should be fixed in a bit if time, if not already. The edges of my 2009 MacBook are fine.

I rather see people scratch test those old MacBooks than all these nice new phones. ::)

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
We'll now I know how some of the store phones have dings and gouges on them! Amazing. Well plastic is softer than aluminum. And most keys are brass or bronze aren't they? So that's a soft metal too.

I think the iPhone 5 back and edges will hold up as well or as poor as the MacBook pros Al 6000 anodized, once this issue is figured out by Apple.

Since it is the same material and process, all of us MacBook Pro owners should know what we are getting into, good or bad. Same with the front glass. Both we and Apple have lots of experience here. And isn't this what many if us asked Apple to do: make a metal iPhone once again? These are not unfamiliar materials to us.

But a manufacturing mistake is an anomaly, and should be fixed in a bit if time, if not already. The edges of my 2009 MacBook are fine.

I rather see people scratch test those old MacBooks than all these nice new phones. ::)

This is a good point... I can say my 2 year old uni-body MacBook Pro looks better than my 4 day old black iPhone 5.

The iPhone, in theory, should hold up just as well. In my case it hasn't/isn't.

pazz

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
London, England
I've got a replacement handset that was shipped today to replace a black 32Gb which has a gap between the glass display and bezel.

Would anyone recommend I go for the white model instead of the black to help reduce scuffgate?

I prefer the look of the black but I'm not happy forcing it into a case? Had enough of that with the 4.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
http://blog.gsmarena.com/was-apple-aware-of-the-iphone-5-build-quality-issues/

Check out the video on that page guys, apparently better build quality phones in october??

that would explain why some people got some that actually are staying scuff free (myself included). The models I saw in store had some nicks, but nothing like i expected since they are being handled by people all day.

This is the quote I am referring to that explains why some are ok....

"The worker at the Foxconn factory who published the photos of the new iOS smartphone before it went official, said that most of the iPhone 5 units he and his team were producing were faulty – with good ones being just 10%."

deeelz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
that would explain why some people got some that actually are staying scuff free (myself included). The models I saw in store had some nicks, but nothing like i expected since they are being handled by people all day.

This is the quote I am referring to that explains why some are ok....

"The worker at the Foxconn factory who published the photos of the new iOS smartphone before it went official, said that most of the iPhone 5 units he and his team were producing were faulty – with good ones being just 10%."

what production week was yours made in?

and by scuff free i presume u mean it didn't come with any scuffs, im sure it will still be as easy to scuff tho?

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
http://blog.gsmarena.com/was-apple-aware-of-the-iphone-5-build-quality-issues/

Check out the video on that page guys, apparently better build quality phones in october??

That's the first time I've seen an article, other than the original source video of course, where it's speculated that Apple may have known about the problem.

From the evidence on here and elsewhere, the video was clearly proven correct in that there appears to be fairly widespread production damaged phones making it into the wild.

So here is the question, if I were selling this phone on eBay or to Amazon or some other third party place, they would ask for the condition of the phone. I would only be able to list it as used/good (even though it is brand new) and the buyer would therefore not give me full retail price right? So why then should anyone else expect me as the consumer/buyer to give Apple the full retail price of a phone that is only in good condition? This is the real crux of the matter. Will the phone scratch or dent with use? Yes, maybe even with regular case use it will. But in that instance it is ok, because it is USED. You should not expect a like new product to look used.

By the way I spoke with an Apple senior adviser yesterday. They are very aware of this issue and even asked me to send photos of the damage to give to their engineers who, according to who I spoke with, are actively looking into the problem.

When I first read this I thought you made a great point, with a fresh look at things, it seems someone else agrees;

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a407847/apple-iphone-5-buyers-complain-about-damage.html

Last edited:

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Leaving aside those WOW dents in some phones, I wonder how many people would've noticed tiny imperfections if this issue hadn't been this spread. I mean, I can't recall myself looking at my 4S in the launch day with a magnifying glass, and I bet a lot of us would've found something if we had.

shah1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
Black 32gb from launch day, scuffed, small dent in top right hand corner and paint coming off from various parts around the bazel.

Name: iPhone 5
ModelCode: iphone_5
Model Number: MD299
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels

I am expecting a white 5 from my upgrade but to be honest I am not really liking the iphone 5.. They have even changed the vibrate motor to one that is extremely noisy and annoying.. No where near as subtle as the one in the 4S.
I am seriously thinking of going back to a black 4S.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
what production week was yours made in?

and by scuff free i presume u mean it didn't come with any scuffs, im sure it will still be as easy to scuff tho?

week 33...it came scuff/dent free and I have been using it since launch and it remains that way. I have rubbed all around and it seems like the only way it is going to scuff is if I actually drop it.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Black 32gb from launch day, scuffed, small dent in top right hand corner and paint coming off from various parts around the bazel.

Group2:

I am expecting a white 5 from my upgrade but to be honest I am not really liking the iphone 5.. They have even changed the vibrate motor to one that is extremely noisy and annoying.. No where near as subtle as the one in the 4S.

Same experience here. My 5 is awaiting courier pick up to go back to Apple. Back to my 4S.

shah1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
Same experience here. My 5 is awaiting courier pick up to go back to Apple. Back to my 4S.

Yeah my black 5 is being picked up tomorrow. Honestly believe the 4s is a much better built phone.. I might sell the white 5 from my upgrade and get a black 32gb 4S.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Group2:

I always just turn vibrate off b.c I find it to be the most annoying noise haha.

duffmanth

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Because I’m going to pre-order mine without actually seeing it, I’m going to play safe and go for white again :confused:

Is there anybody ready this who was actually at the event and who can comment first hand on the black finish?

I was at my local Apple store yesterday and opened the last two black 32GB models and they were both scuffed along the side. I just said I'm not spending $300 on a contract phone that's in this condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.