Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
What are your favourite apps?

Beyond the 'obvious' ones like DropBox and Evernote and that kind of stuff, at the moment some of the apps I am enjoying are:

- Retro Camera and Paper Camera - you can do some really cool stuff to photos with these apps.

- I'm trying out OneCast for podcasts. So far, I really like it. It's simple and very easy to use.

- Home Switcher - makes it easy to switch between different launchers.

- trip advisor City Guides - has off line city guides, which gives great travel info while not giving you ridiculous roaming charges.

- CalenGoo instead of the stock calender. I think so many of the calendars for android are ugly and have a scattered look, but this UI is very nice.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One for me that was indispensable is Touchdown from NitroDesk - an email client for exchange servers. The features that this as that some didn't (maybe they do now) is the security policies that many companies require, i.e., encryption lock codes etc.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
K9 Mail - Running various websites I like to have all my emails in one place.
Juice Defender - Doubles my battery life
Cardio Trainer - Tracking my runs
Dolphin Mini Browser - Great, light weight browser

Just a few of my apps I cant live without!

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I use K9 mail, too, I think it's excellent.

I just downloaded Juice Defender to try it out :)

----------

I should add SwiftKey. This app is one of the main reasons why I haven't switched from android to iPhone. Makes typing super quick and efficient.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Splashtop HD. Mirrors your windows Pc to your phone or tablet. Works very well.

Twonky, good for streaming videos, music and pics to any server even xbox360, ps3, ATV, etc

GPS essentials. Cool GPS related stuff.

Wifi analyzer. Cool wifi related stuff.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
What are your favourite apps?

Beyond the 'obvious' ones like DropBox and Evernote and that kind of stuff, at the moment some of the apps I am enjoying are:

- Retro Camera and Paper Camera - you can do some really cool stuff to photos with these apps.

- I'm trying out OneCast for podcasts. So far, I really like it. It's simple and very easy to use.

- Home Switcher - makes it easy to switch between different launchers.

- trip advisor City Guides - has off line city guides, which gives great travel info while not giving you ridiculous roaming charges.

- CalenGoo instead of the stock calender. I think so many of the calendars for android are ugly and have a scattered look, but this UI is very nice.

Or you can just hit the home button with no app.

Handcent SMS- much better than the stock one.

Poweramp- Best music player imo.

Apex launcher- Just dont care for touchwiz

Audio manager - You think it is just a audio manager when you turn it on but nope..... Hold down on the logo aty the top and it is like a vault to hide stuff (pics, videos, messages, etc) you dont want your wife or girlfriend to EVER find. Not only will they not find it, it also can be password protected. AKA Hide it Pro.

Gtunes music download- when im looking for certain songs or just a few i go here. I eventually transfer them to my microSD card. I just prefer my music there.

Tweetcaster- best Twitter app but Plume is good too.

Friendcaster- app for facebook

Just to name a few i like

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
K9 Mail - Running various websites I like to have all my emails in one place.
Juice Defender - Doubles my battery life
Cardio Trainer - Tracking my runs
Dolphin Mini Browser - Great, light weight browser

Just a few of my apps I cant live without!

How do you have Juice Defender setup? Do you customize it or use one of the presets? I generally don't trust apps like this because I don't want all my radios to be off when inactive.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
How do you have Juice Defender setup? Do you customize it or use one of the presets? I generally don't trust apps like this because I don't want all my radios to be off when inactive.

I just use the default settings. Seems to work a treat for me.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Not anymore. I was using the free version until they had a sale and offered the pro version for 99p.

I just got the ultimate. Any ideas how to get only certain apps to be able to use data when the screen is off? Like whatsapp/mail which I want to get notifications for without any delays while cutting off internet for all other apps when the screen is off. I've selected Customize and configured apps and it says these have precedence over everything else but I just my data still turns off when my screen is off.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
When I try insert widgets on my screens when using Apex launcher I get a message saying something like "You have to have root permissions to move widgets from the app draw" Anyone know if I am doing anything wrong?

Edit;

Just took a screen shot.

Screenshot_2012-10-07-18-54-47.png

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I use ChompSMS which I really like.

The Hide It Pro part of your post made me laugh.

Hide it Pro /Audio manager is great though. Perfect disguise...lol. You should try it.

Ive never tried Chomp SMS so ill take a look. Ive been using Handcent for 2.5 years.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
This is a great thread, since reading it I have installed.

CalenGoo
Juice Defender
Handcent SMS

All have enhanced my experience with my S3

One that I use and like now that I have got used to it is Swype.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I just got the ultimate. Any ideas how to get only certain apps to be able to use data when the screen is off? Like whatsapp/mail which I want to get notifications for without any delays while cutting off internet for all other apps when the screen is off. I've selected Customize and configured apps and it says these have precedence over everything else but I just my data still turns off when my screen is off.

Not sure off the top of my head. I think I chose K9 mail to have access to the interent, then in K9 mail I chose it to check for emails every 20 minutes. So even though the internet is off, every 20 mins it turns it on to check for mail.

Not too sure with whatsapp.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
One that I use and like now that I have got used to it is Swype.

I've tried Swype in the past, but I prefer SwiftKey. It doesn't allow you to swipe your words, though.

----------

Hide it Pro /Audio manager is great though. Perfect disguise...lol. You should try it.

Ive never tried Chomp SMS so ill take a look. Ive been using Handcent for 2.5 years.

I hand't heard of that one before, I'm going to look at it. I'm pretty happy with Chomp but it's nice to know what's out there.

----------

When I try insert widgets on my screens when using Apex launcher I get a message saying something like "You have to have root permissions to move widgets from the app draw" Anyone know if I am doing anything wrong?

I've never seen that - I did try out Apex and had no problems setting up some widgets.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Other apps I use:

Go Launcher - Much prefer this over Touchwiz
Go SMS - Much better then stock sms
Fancy Widgets - Great weather app
Nielsen Mobile (App that sits in the background earning you points you can exchange for gift vouchers. UK only I think)
Myshiftwork - Great app for managing my shifts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.