Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
I reported this on the day I got my iPhone 5, the week after release.

Try tapping the top corners with your thumb sideways. The noisier plastic screen requires you to press with a flat finger.

The space bar is often unresponsive. The 1 and 0 also don't respond at times. No need to scroll faster. It seems to be a screen edge issue, which someone referred to as an aspect ratio mapping issue, which does cause issues such as tap to top for some apps.

It is also over sensitive against clothes which causes multiple step presses against a shirt pocket.

No surprise the next iPhone will have a changed screen.

Ps. Genius Bar staff have no clue about this, and will simply do a flat thumb screen run row by row matrix.

Changing my unit made no improvement and the 2nd unit also had a loose home button which they tried to claim was normal and could be re-seated which is fine for 1 minute only. The 3rd unit if problematic has to be repaired and not replaced as was previous policy where the home button was unrepairable.

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I tested it out in the browser and it doesnt happen there, but in contacts it does... I was swiping pretty dam fast in contacts ( faster then any game you would play ) and it happens like 10 seconds in.. At a good swiping diagnal pace in safari nothing happened

----------

Try tapping the top corners with your thumb sideways. The noisier plastic screen requires you to press with a flat finger.

The space bar is often unresponsive. No need to scroll faster.

It is also over sensitive against clothes which causes multiple step presses against a shirt pocket.

No surprise the next iPhone will have a changed screen.

Ps. Genius Bar staff have no clue about this, and will simply do a flat thumb screen run row by row matrix.

Changing my unit made no improvement and the 2nd unit also had a loose home button which they tried to claim was normal and could be re-seated which is fine for 1 minute only. The 3rd unit if problematic has to be repaired and not replaced as was previous policy where the home button was unrepairable.

That sucks hard.. Luckily i dont have these issues with my phone, maybe in the beginning the keyboard couldnt really catch up with my typing but iOS has to start over and learn your typing pattern and everything even with a restore and now it works perfectly fine

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Typical, post Jobs, quality control issues.

EDIT: Tried it on my iPhone 5 and I have the same issue. Scrollgate

I took mine off the shelf and activated it, just to try and see if there was any truth to this rumor.

Sure enough, before three minutes had elapsed it hung. Scrollgate

Poor Apple just can't get a break... and people say this is the best iPhone... who are they kidding?

My iPhone 4S, the one that I put back into service after getting enough of my uninteresting, buggy, Google map-less iPhone 5, is so much better it's simply amazing.

The original iPhone was quite good, then next was better, the 3S was very good, then Antennagate happened with the iP4.

Sad Apple :(

----------

Apple is steeped in denial, unless you are someone famous, or otherwise properly qualified, Apple says there's nothing wrong.

sxdev

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
It appears to be software

I can easily see this problem on mobile version of cnn.com and can not cause it to happen in the standard version of cnn.com.

I think this is a issue with whatever code Apple has that shows tables & cells (like contact app, iPhone-style websites, etc).

Some developer should write a scrolling drawing app without all the fancy cocoa stuff to prove it is hardware vs software.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I have the same issue on my ip5. I noticed bad touch recognition as well.
I hope this is not a hardware issue and is fixed in the next release of iOS. Otherwise I'd be really disappointed. I always thought the great touch response was one of the most important advantages of the iPhone overnAndroid devices, which are very laggy.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Why do you care? You don't even have an iPHONE 5, so if this is an issue for you, then don't upgrade.

i care cause i am a consumer that wants to buy and iPhone 5 aND would appreciate if apple would stop being so damn cheap and actually test their stuff please..:rolleyes:

----------

I don't think Apple has anyone whose wrists can swipe at mach 3 like the dude in the clip. :eek:

lol yup i agree

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I dont understand, some of you guys have serious issues with touch on your phone? am i like the only one with a magical iphone that doesnt have touch issues? pinch to zoom works perfect on my phone, scrolling is buttery smooth, fast and accurate, and touch input does not lag ?

----------

i care cause i am a consumer that wants to buy and iPhone 5 aND would appreciate if apple would stop being so damn cheap and actually test their stuff please..:rolleyes:

----------

lol yup i agree

you have to be trolling right now, if you bought a new iphone today the chance is very high that you wont encounter a problem with the phone

Graceflanger

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Interesting. I have noticed the same issue and feel the sensitivity on the touch screen has lower than it was on the iphone 4 and 4s. Sometimes the touchscreen doesn't read certain commands, e.g., swiping on an email to delete.

I've noticed this problem too. Same with swiping to delete a voicemail. Really anything you can swipe to delete.

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
It's definitely software related. I can replicate it while looking at a list of my emails and scrolling there. If I open an email and try it within the email, it doesn't have any problems.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
What if it's the accidental touch feature activating when you touch the edges as you scroll up and down/diagonally?

That's probably it - it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for that guy to replicate the issue on a scientific basis with his hands only, especially when you may be touching the screen with your palm or simply doing what is said above.

Unless this is demonstrated with a robot/machine doing it on EXACTLY the same distances, this is a non-issue.

Another possibility, if the problem is confirmed, is that it might be a buffer problem related to the new in-cell technology...a firmware update should be able to fix it, I presume.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I have to say this is a major problem and im glad the glitch was discovered.

Ive often felt commands weren't registering when using my iphone 5, and this is with normal scrolling with safari browser. Whenever it would happen, i kept putting it down to my error..and blaming the screen protector im using as a possible issue, however this video makes me think otherwise!

Oh apple.....

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
My wife reported (to me) touch input issues on her iPhone 5 very early on. She wasn't doing repeated scrolling like in the video, but at times the screen would be completely unresponsive to touch...as if it were frozen. It only happens occasionally so we haven't taken it in to have it replaced yet. Good to know, in a bad sort of way, that it's not just her experiencing this.

thehumorpolice

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Thankfully this came out. I've been having touch response issues since day one but they are hard to reproduce until now. By the way, there are a bunch of *******s trolling this thread. ****!

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Thats why you wait for the 5s.
Apples doing this Tick-Tock thing. You guys all got the Tick version;)
The best is always the tock version, iphone 3gs, 4s, and soon 5s.

ilguano

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Montevideo, Uruguay
I can't reproduce it on my iPhone 5. Have tried really hard, pre-loading lots and lots of mail from my gmail, scrolling just fine at really fast speeds. Fastar than the guy in the utube vid. Maybe there were some early shipments that were defective.

----------

I dont understand, some of you guys have serious issues with touch on your phone? am i like the only one with a magical iphone that doesnt have touch issues? pinch to zoom works perfect on my phone, scrolling is buttery smooth, fast and accurate, and touch input does not lag ?

No. Mine works like a charm too. I ********ing love it :)

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I cannot replicate this on my iPhone 5. I've tried several times, but it scrolls along normally with no dropping out or stopping at all. Could be hardware related to specific displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.