Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I've noticed this problem using Safari on my iPhone 5 (w iOS 6.0.1). But I thought it was the website I was using. When I visit that site, I usually zoom in with a pinch and then drag diagonally down to where the login button is. Sometimes I make it there no problem, sometimes it just doesn't respond to my movements. And there are times when I feel like if I go over and then down instead of diagonally, it responds a bit better (though that's a longer path to my destination). I also feel like the pinch to zoom has a similar problem. Sometimes, it just doesn't want to move.

It's definitely a subtle glitch, but interesting to see it so clearly demonstrated. Makes me think it's not the website I was using after all.

Dr. Scott

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
Total non issue. Watch closely, his fingers are not staying inside the 'scrolling part' of the screen. When they move to a 'non-scrolling section' or just too far off the the right or left, the screen stops.

I wasn't able to re-create the issue while staying 'in bounds', but when I was swiping sloppily and leaving the 'scroll zone' it happens, as it should.

Next REAL issue please.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Perhaps we don't have absolute knowledge, but it is safe to say that:
1) The problem hasn't (yet) manifested in other models
2) The iPhone 5 introduced us to the in-cell touch display

It's extremely likely this is a hardware issue.

EDIT
That said, this really isn't a big deal.
Unless, of course, you swipe really fast from side to side ALL the time.

I think it could go either way. Hardware is useless without software and vice versa. It could be related to the hardware because of the new in-cell (and thus not affect older iPhones), but actually be a software issue, for example the drivers are specific to that hardware has bugs.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Great

This is all a scam to make people look like total idiots scrolling like demons and then someone walks in when you're basically looking like you're masturbating the phone at high speed.

Literal comment from the observer "what the he11 are you doing?"

No, I had no problems like in this video.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I'm going from a 4 to a 5 and was actually just talking with the bartender at the pub where I eat lunch about how fast my phone scrolls compared to the 4. I just scrolled through a 300 page PDF in Dropbox to page 126 with no issues. Also after watching this video scrolled through hundreds of messages and nothing. I play Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Cut the Rope, and many other games with no incident, actually just downloaded Angry Birds Star Wars yesterday and played the dang thing for hours last night, never one single issue with scrolling in any direction. :confused:

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Why do you need to scroll up and down so fast when you can use the mail search function to find what you are searching for?:rolleyes:

A fabricated case for Swipegate! lol

Sometimes you do need to scroll very long pages because you may not know the search term.

Just wonder why apple doesn't utilize the scroll bar. I know it's only there as a visualization, but why the heck don't they make it usable? (or is there something I'm missing here?)

There are some things that apple do that bewilder me. The unusable scroll bar thing is one of them.

----------

Wow, when the hell was the last time anyone scrolled like that? Gimme a freakin break. People are always going to find something to bitch about with Apple products.

If this is a hardware or software glitch, then yes people *should* complain about it. We're not talking about a $5 product here that people buy with their can of beans.

Opposite to what you say, I'm amazed how some people think apple is great no matter how *bad* something they churn out is.

Back on topic...
I've actually scrolled like this on a few occasions in mail, or in notes. When there's a lot to scroll through. And that happens.

Apple should make the scroll bar usable. Yes?

----------

Who uses their phone like this? Who expects the screen to be able to keep up with that kind of movement? Also, what was the guy doing to his phone when he "discovered" this? Get a life, dude.

Well - the 4S seems to keep up with it.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I can replicate the same issue on my iphone 5. What's weird is that I never noticed this before, but now it's clearly evident in apps like Draw Something (which I play all the time), fruit ninja, IB2. Even Safari, in looking at this thread, it happens.

BUT it doesn't happen if I open a blank page in safari. Then it seems to be fine. Which would indicate this is a software issue, perhaps something to do with rendering text/graphics.

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Nonsense. Then you'll find something about that phone to moan and whine about. It never ends. Well it will end when Apple is dead and buried under the weight of idiots who are never pleased with anything the company does. Then the moaning and whining will shift to some other hapless manufacturer.
I stop bitching about a phone once I've made the decision to purchase it. ;) By waiting for the 5S to iron most things out, you'll know what you're getting with fewer surprises.

VacTacks11

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
I can replicate this on my 5 (6.01) and I'm sure to keep my fingers within the screen and not out to the edges. Try it: move your fingers about an inch or two up/down, diagonally from the middle. Takes a few seconds and the screen stops.

I've noticed this throughout my travels, but I chalked it up to some kind of software problem. And who knows, maybe it is.

And to those who say this isn't an issue, if this behavior doesn't exist on the 4S, it shouldn't exist on the 5, new In-Cell technology or not. If it's software, great, but since some aren't able to replicate it on their phones, doesn't that point to a hardware issue?

I'd still let Apple know about it.

aperture01

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Washington, DC
I've noticed some weirdness

I have to say i've noticed some weird things. For example when I receive a notification and the phone is in lock state. If I slide across to try and read the message a lot of the time the very edge does not register.

I know in the past i've just had to slow down my swipe, but in this case it doesn't work. Sometimes I have to end up unlocking the phone instead of just opening to the message ap.

It's been annoying but not a game breaker. I happens much more on my i5 than on my previous 4s.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I can replicate this on my 5 (6.01) and I'm sure to keep my fingers within the screen and not out to the edges. Try it: move your fingers about an inch or two up/down, diagonally from the middle. Takes a few seconds and the screen stops.

I've noticed this throughout my travels, but I chalked it up to some kind of software problem. And who knows, maybe it is.

And to those who say this isn't an issue, if this behavior doesn't exist on the 4S, it shouldn't exist on the 5, new In-Cell technology or not. If it's software, great, but since some aren't able to replicate it on their phones, doesn't that point to a hardware issue?

I'd still let Apple know about it.

open a blank page in safari and then try it. It doesn't freeze anymore (for me at least), which might indicate a software issue?

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
I just reproduced the bug on an iPhone 5.

It's not a hardware issue, it's probably a UITableView issue. It won't affect games unless the game developer is just plain incompetent.

Why?

If it was a hardware issue, I should be able to replicate it in anything that receives touch events. Yet it only reproduces in Mail in the messages view, but not if I'm in a message itself. Scroll events don't freeze up even with frantic scrolling.

Tried it in maps too. Can't do it there.

It's a non-issue.

kidaje

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Fault

I've actually found annoter fault on the iPhone 5, if you hit it with a hammer.... It breakes... Thats gotta be a hardware issue

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
I can replicate the same issue on my iphone 5. What's weird is that I never noticed this before, but now it's clearly evident in apps like Draw Something (which I play all the time), fruit ninja, IB2. Even Safari, in looking at this thread, it happens.

BUT it doesn't happen if I open a blank page in safari. Then it seems to be fine. Which would indicate this is a software issue, perhaps something to do with rendering text/graphics.

I could recreate this in Mail, Safari, and Adobe Ideas.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
By waiting for the 5S to iron most things out, you'll know what you're getting with fewer surprises.

If only Apple had called this phone the 4S II. It would have been a third-generation device by your standards with everything already ironed out.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
jimi78 said:
really? you would rather have a JB over upgraded hardware?

Absolutely. I still have Google Maps, SBSettings and Zephyr :D Can't live without the last two. I will only upgrade to the i5 when they release an untethered 6.x jailbreak.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I have this issue too. Hell, even if I were to open up Snapchat or Photoshop and draw something, as I'm drawing, it stops recognizing my finger. Same applies to games.

But, I'm not going to b**ch like everybody else who expects everything in a TECH product to be perfect, just because it's Apple.

I'll wait and see if a software update fixes it. If not, oh well. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.