Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolguy879

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Like a poster said earlier, it's becoming harder and harder to find exploits in the iOS. Plus, the top JB'ers have lives outside of hacking. To them, a JB isn't everything. And they spend countless hours trying to JB an iOS version only for Apple to thwart them and release the next one. I have a bad feeling that iOS 6.x will be the last version that will be JB'ed as iOS 7.x will probably be unjailbreakable.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
If it's dead then it's Hello Android or Windows 8 for me I've never been a conformist.

I told myself I'd be patient but stock iOS is so plain and boring.. As much as I love jailbreaking, I've grown tired of the cat and mouse game with apple. Returned my iPhone 5 and trying out android this year. Really enjoying it so far.

King Bowser

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
I told myself I'd be patient but stock iOS is so plain and boring.. As much as I love jailbreaking, I've grown tired of the cat and mouse game with apple. Returned my iPhone 5 and trying out android this year. Really enjoying it so far.

What phone did you get ?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've always seen Apple as having a dual strategy: Appliances and computers.

iDevices are appliances. They're limited in what they can do, and are good for very specific tasks (consuming media)

Macs are computers. They can do whatever you like, run any code you wish, and are good for doing anything you'd want to do with a computer.

It was that way from the beginning. Apple has never "taken anything away" from us. iOS devices were restricted from the start, and Macs have always been open. Even though the locked-down nature of iOS devices goes against some of my principles, I can justify it to myself by thinking they are appliances and not meant for doing all the things you'd do with a real computer.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
I bet if every single jailbreaker switched to android it would have very little effect on Apple

You think so?

Everyone around me had an iPhone because I pushed it forward... being a tech savvy guy around here makes my opinion matter...

Now...........
I have a note 2
My mother has a one X+
my wife is getting my 4S but soon will get another android.
My father was going to go from Android to iPhone and now he is staying.

Sorry.... one angry customer counts x5. Always... look it up...

It looks to be the same around here... When Apple lets the jailbreak scene flourish I "might" be back...

There are too many good things on the Android scene and its getting better... Apple is becoming a little stale.. Granted... its still the best OS out of the box and everything simply works as it should w/o issues or hiccups... and base features are best in class... but... Android is getting lockscreen widgets and I can no longer install Lockinfo on an i5?

Don't worry... the door won't hit me when I get out.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Sure, but if Apple would allow it they would need to cope with all the request they would get from people having problems with the Jailbreak, they don't want to waste money on that.

The only way I would see it would be if Apple would actually sell the service legally, but then in a way is admiting our software is not that great and you need "add-ons" to augment the operating system.

The first thing the tech will do is flash it back to stock.... people will loose the jailbreak and learn they can't bring a jailbroken device for "checkup" unless its a hardware issue.

People who jailbreak most likely can fix the issues, that geniuses can solve w/o hardware change, themselves and look for solutions online.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2011
One aspect I do find curious is just how many "ideas" Apple steals from the JB community. Such as the notification center or the "Do not disturb" function.

In a way, Apple NEEDS the JB devs to manipulate the OS and unlock functionality.

Apple steals their ideas without legal remorse as they're operating in an illegal fashion to begin with.

If Apple doesn't provide an option for third party development iOS will continue to see a downward spiral in progress as well as platform adoption.

COOK IF YOU ARE READING THIS, ALLOW USERS TO JB OUT OF THE BOX IN EXCHANGE FOR LOSS OF WARRANTY!

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
The first thing the tech will do is flash it back to stock.... people will loose the jailbreak and learn they can't bring a jailbroken device for "checkup" unless its a hardware issue.

People who jailbreak most likely can fix the issues, that geniuses can solve w/o hardware change, themselves and look for solutions online.

True, but in the meanwhile the appointment is made and the Genius time is wasted, so money lost

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You think so?

Everyone around me had an iPhone because I pushed it forward... being a tech savvy guy around here makes my opinion matter...

Now...........
I have a note 2
My mother has a one X+

It looks to be the same around here... When Apple lets the jailbreak scene flourish I "might" be back...

There are too many good things on the Android scene and its getting better... Apple is becoming a little stale.. Granted... its still the best OS out of the box and everything simply works as it should w/o issues or hiccups... and base features are best in class... but... Android is getting lockscreen widgets and I can no longer install Lockinfo on an i5?

Not a prob.
I think Apple will be fine without your or your 5x angry customer count;)

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
What phone did you get ?

Galaxy Note II

----------

You think so?

Same with my office. I got a lot of people to purchase iPhones after the iPhone 4 came out. Now some are oohing and aahing over my Note II. I may not enjoy the iPhone like I used to but I do still enjoy certin apple products. (Still have an iPad, never really cared about jailbreaking it).

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Galaxy Note II

----------

Same with my office. I got a lot of people to purchase iPhones after the iPhone 4 came out. Now some are oohing and aahing over my Note II. I may not enjoy the iPhone like I used to but I do still enjoy certin apple products. (Still have an iPad, never really cared about jailbreaking it).

I agree.. jailbreak on the iPad is not that "necessary". I don't use the iPad as a productivity tool. That is what the iPhone was for (act as a PDA).

Note 2 is great... the S-pen is really a very useful piece.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I can't wait for a JB to come out, my iPad Mini will be much better as a laptop replacement.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Last year at least we got hints of an upcoming jailbreak from pod2g, but this year I've seen nothing.

Pod2g said a while ago he stopped working on the jailbreak scene and wouldn't be working on an ios 6 jailbreak.

Neither has musclenerd said anything in months.

Last year it was released at the end of December, but since there is no evidence of anyone working on it right now I'd say there won't be anytime soon.

I don't know if the jailbreak scene is over or not, but it sure looks like it.

We saw it coming. I don't care too much since I now have a SGS3 and it can be jailbreak and tweaked very easily and its awesome.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
+1000 SG3 and Android are the BEST :)

This may be a dumb question, but the biggest reason keeping me from switching to an SG3 and android is the customer service. Where do you take it if it malfunctions? If I have to deal with AT&T customer support, I will never buy a product outside of Apple then.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
You think so?

Now...........
I have a note 2
My mother has a one X+

The problem is that jailbreaking causes developers to lose millions of dollars due to torrented apps. Stop this and you will see jailbreaking again.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
What's the longest wait time (historically) between the release of a new product and it being jailbroken? I didn't get the 4S, but I don't remember waiting this long after the 4 was released...

Starting to consider the SG3...

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
What makes you think those people that pirate would have bought it to begin with?:rolleyes:
Because I, like most of the population, did. Then guess what? I stopped jailbreaking my phone and ended up buying like $600 worth of apps.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If the jailbreak scene dies,even though I have an iP4 I can downgrade back to 5.1.1,,I will most likely go to Windows once the contract is up

You realise that Windows RT running on ARM requires secure boot.

I.e., microsoft's version of code-signing, and will require a developer cert to upload code to the device.

Just like apple.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
u guys are silly if you dont think a JB is going to come out, if theres a will theres a way, and someone out there out of the billions has a will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.