Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
poor developers...

anyone know how many resolutions Apple currently has in its mobile lineup?

ipad2
ipadretina
ipad mini
ipad mini retina????
iphone4
iphone5
ipod touch

Crazy

ipad 2 = ipad mini
ipadretina = ipad mini retina
iphone 4 = ipod touch
iphone 5 = ipod touch

Also worth noting is that they don't have to develop for different resolutions for the retina displays, just use double resolution assets.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks, Captain O

Everybody who follows these things knows that Apple's first generation of every product is made and priced for suckers.

For a second-generation Apple product to be made with current technology - rather than last-year's technology - would not be surprising.

But come to think of it, the Retinal Display IS last-year's technology...

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I'm all for a Retina mini but wouldn't that considerably cannibalize sales of the 9.7" iPad? It's one of it's major selling points.

Honestly, the Mini is going to be their best iPad.

When you compare the two, you have a 7.9" screen vs a 9.7" and when you put real estate to real estate, the iPad mini is MUCH smaller YET almost gives you just as much viewing.

After comparing the two together, I wouldn't buy an iPad now...i'd buy the Mini when it comes with Retina.

Honestly, Apple should increase the size of the iPad something bigger since it's becoming the home tablet for most (or business)...maybe 11" screen.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
A lame attempt to grab more site traffic with news that has already been speculated over many times....this site is getting worse! Fail!:mad:

Would you rather a site full of articles about every motion and ruling in every court case that even references Apple and articles about the competition

And ya know, no one is making you read the articles

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Like buying a VW?

I get the joke but cars are like clothing all a matter of preference. I could make the argument not buying one is foolish. But your making a statement and a very foolish one at that. It's like saying I would never buy a faster more powerful car cause it takes more gas . You must be a blast to be around lol.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
That's what Apple wants. To think you don't need it until they make it.

----------

No... Apple wants you to think the compromise they made was the best decision. And now many realize it actually was a good compromise.

Which doesn't mean people shouldn't wait or be excited for Apple to add retina while maintaining the same battery life, weight, size and cost when its all feasible sometime in the future.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
True, but the higher power consumption can be addressed to the usage of two LED bars. As the article states, Apple can now produce an iPad with retina display with only one LED bar. If they can implement this in the iPad mini as well, it means power consumption should not be much higher than it currently is.

That's not Apple style, they move to take power down, not force it up. And without sacrificing usage.

So they will be working on lower power but stronger processors, better batteries, etc. and instead on led 'bars' they will do something wild like try to make a flat sheet that spreads even light under the whole display, or threads going all through it etc.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I really like the iPad Mini, but it really should have an HD class display, meaning at least 921,600 pixels.

rdstoll

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
typical apple ploy. launch a new product with a glaring deficiency, the fanboys buy in anyway and then a couple of months later apple releases the second version with features that should have been in the first version. fanboys buy again.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Hope not...

While I know there are a lot of very happy people with Retina Display iPad 3's and 4's, I stuck with my iPad2 because I was not happy with some of the compromises the Retina display required:
  • Thicker form factor (required by bigger battery)
  • Heavier (required by bigger battery)
  • Longer charging time (required by bigger battery)
  • Hotter running (required by increased graphics need)

I would be even less happy if these compromises migrated to the iPad Mini whose size/weight are its main differentiating benefits.

I don't object to a retina display at all, I just object to some of the compromises it currently entails. As I did not and will not buy an iPad 3/4, and I'm not sure I would buy a heavier, fatter, hotter iPad mini that took longer to charge.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Report the posts. Mods cannot possibly try to read all the posts on this site, especially in the News section.

Unless it is spam or harassment they are unlikely to do anything. They tend to practice the US 'freedom of speech'. What would be nice is an ignore person that ignores reply to that person etc and an ignore subthread button.

----------

You can get that now. Galaxy SIII is a tablet sized phone.

He said iPad, which is a specific item not a generic term. Despite what the grannies at Best Buy think

----------

Internet Logic at its finest. Complain about feature(s) introduced in revision B that should have been in revision A despite the technology not being available in suitable quantities when revision A was introduced.

Backset/armchair designing/engineering at its finest

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Won't happen.

The iPad Mini is already half way between standard and retina. The 768x1024 resolution may be the same resolution the iPad 2 uses, but it's a smaller screen so the equivalent PPI is higher.

A retina display on a Mini would offer no benefit over the current display resolution. You don't notice the current PPI of the Mini, so you wouldn't notice double that (1536x2048). However the device would double in thickness and weight, because that's what a Retina capable device would require to operate at that resolution.

They -could- boost the resolution without doubling it, but it is unlikely that they would bother. That would entail a huge amount of work in their SDK and piss off a lot of developers (now you've got a whole new resolution to deal with, that isn't a multiple of two).

In other words, you've already got a Retina iPad Mini.

-SC

It always amuses me when people say things that are blatantly false with such an authoritative tone. Maybe you can't tell the difference between 163 and 326 PPI, but I and many others sure as **** can. It is night and day.

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
So you mean I just gave Apple $329 for a brand new device that wont actually be current 3 months for now?

Shocking I never knew Apple would pull a ploy where they would replace a brand new product with features that should have been in it originally just a few months later and then give no recourse to the early adopters to upgrade besides paying full price.

They have NEVER done that!

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
The iPad Mini is great. But the display pales - literally - in comparison to the iPad 4.

If Apple can upgrade the Mini to Retina and keep the form factor, I will buy one in a heartbeat. And I will buy several as gifts, as my gift budget allows :D

In the meantime I can understand why Apple released the iPad Mini as it is without Retina. Current technical limitations aside, Apple is building a lot of stores all around the world. They've got to keep the new product momentum going - and that revenue stream too.

Apple is doing a great job and I hope that they can keep it up.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm all for a Retina mini but wouldn't that considerably cannibalize sales of the 9.7" iPad? It's one of it's major selling points.

The tablet market is in a huge growth mode. While yes it will cannibalize some sales, it doesn't matter. This is about convincing people that they need a tablet and a better screen on the mini will help. Also as part of the gradual march of progress, at some point you will think it normal to have a "home" tablet and a portable tablet. So folks having both a iPad mini and a full sized iPad is going to be not unheard of.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
This was Apple's plan all along. Release a sh*tPad mini and then a couple months release one with a retina. Lower the price of the sh*tPad mini to $199 and have two minis in the lineup. Just like they are doing with the iPad 4 and iPad 2.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Unless it is spam or harassment they are unlikely to do anything. They tend to practice the US 'freedom of speech'. What would be nice is an ignore person that ignores reply to that person etc and an ignore subthread button.

Not necessarily. Useless posts (take my money etc) will be happily deleted so I see no reason why those don't fall under useless posts. Why not bring up this point in the feedback section?

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/site-and-forum-feedback.66/

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
So you mean I just gave Apple $329 for a brand new device that wont actually be current 3 months for now?

Shocking I never knew Apple would pull a ploy where they would replace a brand new product with features that should have been in it originally just a few months later and then give no recourse to the early adopters to upgrade besides paying full price.

They have NEVER done that!

And they're the ONLY company in the WORLD who has never done that! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.