Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I don't get the big deal behind retina. When I got my iPad 3 on launch day I was extremely underwhelmed. A trip to my local apple store to compare left me even more underwhelmed. Everyone was expecting a jump from 3g/3gs to iPhone 4. It wasn't NEARLY that. On top of that, I was expecting iPad 1/2 battery performance, which it also wasn't. I'm wondering how those of you who claim to "need" retina fare with your old macbooks. I don't know anyone with a retina macbook (mostly since it's pointless) yet so many of you claim that you could never "downgrade" to the iPad mini.

I'm quoting this post, but I could have quoted from many similar ones. Why is it so difficult to understand that people have different perceptions and preferences? That goes for both sides: the "Nobody really needs Retina because the non-Retina display is good enough" side and the "People who say the non-Retina display is good enough are simply justifying an impulse purchase they made" side.

I have an iPad 1, which I was very happy with. When the iPad 3 came out, I thought the Retina display was nice, but not nice enough for me to shell out the cash to buy one. My iPad 1 was crashing a lot, but I figured I could hold out until the iPad 4. The 4 arrived sooner than I expected, and my iPad 1 was crashing even more than it did in April, so I went to the store to check out the 4 and the Mini. I love the form factor of the Mini, but for much of what I do – looking at photos and reading magazines – the Retina display is better. So I bought an iPad 4, and I'm glad I did. When I go back to my iPad 1, the screen looks pretty bad. It's the same screen that looked pretty good to me when I bought it, but now that I'm used to the Retina, my perception has changed. That's why I won't consider an iPad Mini until it gets a Retina display. But I don't think you're wrong for thinking that the Mini's display is fine for you.

Does anyone "need" a Retina iPad? With the exception of professional photographers or other people who use it to show off their work and thus make money from it, of course not. But does anyone "need" a non-Retina iPad 2 or Mini? Again, except for those who have to use it for business, no. For most of us, it's a luxury. I love my iPad 4. I use it every day. I use it more than I do my aging MacBook Pro, because the iPad is more convenient for reading, Web browsing, checking email, etc. But if all iPads suddenly disappeared from the planet, I could go back to my MBP.

If the Retina display is important to you, then buy an iPad 4, as I did. If it isn't, then buy an iPad 2 or a Mini. If you want a Retina Mini, then buy one when Apple releases one. If you want a Mini now, and can live with the non-Retina version, then buy it, use it, and sell it when the Retina version comes out. But why do so many people, whatever their opinion is, feel compelled to tell people with differing opinions that they're "wrong"?

I'm also equally amused and irritated by the debate over whether Apple could have released a Retina iPad Mini this year. Having been trained as an engineer, I trust Anandtech's reasoned explanation of why a Retina iPad Mini with the current size, weight, and battery life isn't technologically possible now, and probably won't be for a couple more years, more than I trust the emotionally based "Apple is a greedy corporattion that could have released a Retina Mini but just wanted to milk all the money it could from Apple fanboys!" crowd.

Okay, end of rant. I feel better now. Back to work...

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I really like the iPad Mini, but it really should have an HD class display, meaning at least 921,600 pixels.

The Kindle Fire HD I just bought my mother for Christmas beats that, is widely regarded to be a better screen - in reality, it looks a little **** next to my girlfriend's new iPad Mini or my old iPad 2. It's higher definition yes, but there's something not as good, you can see lines between the pixels and the tint is nearly as bad as my iPhone 5. It's not all about resolution.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
It always amuses me when people say things that are blatantly false with such an authoritative tone. Maybe you can't tell the difference between 163 and 326 PPI, but I and many others sure as **** can. It is night and day.

Yep...might come down to really peoples vision and their work habits.

I know I can sure as heck tell the iPad 2 display vs iPad 3 display...it's night and day...probably because 1) I'm a graphics/motion design for a living and 2) I work up close on monitors all day.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Internet Logic at its finest. Complain about feature(s) introduced in revision B that should have been in revision A despite the technology not being available in suitable quantities when revision A was introduced.

I know I've said this a lot on here, sorry, but those complaining about a Mini not having a Retina display here and now seem to be ignoring the realities of the situation. A retina display would have the same number of pixels as the iPad (assuming Apple doesn't add another resolution to the mix which seems unlikely) and therefore needs virtually the same components. Please, someone, explain how with current technology you fit the 7.9" equivalent screen to the iPad, an A6X processor and a >40wH battery into the current iPad Mini form factor... Oh, and introduce it at the same price points without completely destroying profit margins.

But sadly the logic is true. I know I will never be able to prove it, but I guarantee they have the retina iPad mini ready. When you have a 4" iPhone 5, a regular iPad w/ retina, its not hard to apply the same techniques to the iPad mini.

Its effective marketing and biz strat and I applaud them for it. Look at Siri...there is no reason why it should not be included in the iPhone 4/iPad 2 other than they want people to upgrade.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
My iPad mini is primarily an ereader so weight and battery life are paramount. If a retina display upgrade is going to negatively impact those features at this time, I'd rather they wait until they can iron out the tech. The screen really isn't that bad imo.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
I'm sorry but
1) This is a given
2) If you bought a 1st gen iPad Mini, you're an idiot who's asking to get disappointed when the new one comes out with a Retina display
3) You're rich and have the Mini and will buy the new one next year anyways cause you can.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I would definitely buy a retina mini. The full size retina iPad is great, but I'm just a sucker for small electronics. It would just be so convenient to carry around.

j0hnc

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
I like having the option of trading away a little display resolution and processing power to get a thinner, lighter device with less heat and longer battery life. I love Retina displays, but I value the other features too, I hope we don't lose this option in the drive to make every display Retina quality.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
But sadly the logic is true. I know I will never be able to prove it, but I guarantee they have the retina iPad mini ready. When you have a 4" iPhone 5, a regular iPad w/ retina, its not hard to apply the same techniques to the iPad mini.

Its effective marketing and biz strat and I applaud them for it. Look at Siri...there is no reason why it should not be included in the iPhone 4/iPad 2 other than they want people to upgrade.

It may seem that way when the next version of the product is being sold.

And, when they launched the mini Apple also knew they will bump it up to retina as soon as possible. (Be that technically or monetarily)

As somebody else posted, we'd never see a product if every company waited until all the stars aline properly.

Sheer logic would dictate to include a retina display, if it was readily available in quantities at the prices needed, but that is nnot the only consideration.

I find my regular iPad too heavy , my iphone too small for longer reading and the mini is a perfect fit in between.

When I held it for the first time, I liked the weight,feel and size ratio.

Guaranteed Apple will not change this "experience" until they can squeeze whatever it takes for retina into that form factor.

Last edited:

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
Apple really scre*ed us :mad:

the Retina has been THE thing for the last year and they released a non-Retina iPad Mini, millions of people are buying it and we all know that a Retina version is coming :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple really scre*ed us :mad:

the Retina has been THE thing for the last year and they released a non-Retina iPad Mini, millions of people are buying it and we all know that a Retina version is coming :mad: :mad: :mad:

Who forced you to buy it???

eltoko

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2008
The iPad mini is the only apple product I have ever returned. I have an ipad 3 and an iPhone 5 and I found it was downright impossible to get used to/settle with a non-retina display again.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I would definitely buy a retina mini. The full size retina iPad is great, but I'm just a sucker for small electronics. It would just be so convenient to carry around.

I guess it really depends on where you bring your iPad around... for example, I bring my iPad to places when I travel on vacations, trips, or when I'm commuting to school and will be somewhere that I don't have to worry about moving around a lot... But if I'm going somewhere that it seems unreasonable to bring a tablet (restaurant, friends house for a little bit, bars, movie theaters, sports games, etc. - I just use my super portable computer aka my iPhone :D

But I consider my iPad a medium sized electronic -- most likely because I have a 17'' laptop that I consider big, and an iPhone that I consider small - I feel that the iPad mini is more similar in size to my iPhone than my laptop is to my iPad.

But again, it really depends on what kinds of places you'd bring your iPad and what you'd use it for - if you use it primarily as an e-reader, then you're in good shape.

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
There is NOT going to be a 7.85" screen with a 2048x1536 resolution next year... and Apple can't use any other resolution due to app compatibility.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
There is NOT going to be a 7.85" screen with a 2048x1536 resolution next year... and Apple can't use any other resolution due to app compatibility.
Not true, apple can use whatever resolution they want. But doubling the mini resolution just as they did with the iPad 3&4 would be the easiest.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The problem with Retina is that it increases the device's price, as shown by the iPad and the MBP. I hope the iPad mini will keep it's price even when it goes Retina!

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012

You will never able to prove it because it's not true. I won't bother to do your homework but if you look online several expert people (not on Apple payroll) has explained that with current technology it's impossibile to fit a retina display in the mini form factor. Your idea that "they have all the pieces" is really simplistic, and show you don't understand how technology works. The pieces have to fit to make a product. Right now you could have an iPad mini thicker and heavier than an iPad, or one thinner and lighter with 2 hours battery. If that is wat you want you can try ask Apple for a custom limited edition "iPad retina not Mini but who cares".

----------

Not true, apple can use whatever resolution they want. But doubling the mini resolution just as they did with the iPad 3&4 would be the easiest.

Actually Apple can't use whatever resolution they want unless they want to fragment and destroy their ecosystem.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
While it's obvious that everybody wants this to happen, and I'm sure it will happen eventually, I tend to agree with Anandtech. I think if it were feesable to add a retina display within the next year, Apple would have just done it with the original iPad Mini. I expect it will take a couple of years to develop a high res display for the Mini without compromising on its excellent weight and thickness.

Maybe I'm being naive, and it's possible to make one now, and Apple just released a low-res version first so people would shell out more money on the next one, but part of me still likes to think that Apple like making good products, and they would have done it already if it was possible.

This makes a lot of sense. I am actually very happy with my iPad mini because of its form/weight factor. Portability rules over weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.