Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Actually switching out my black one for a white one today pretty excited! Had the black since release day but after seeing the white one I was in love!

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I own the black and love the sleek, stealthy look it has, but I have to admit that in person, the white looks awesome. Hard to say which looks better. I think if I had to say, the white actually looks better from a hardware standpoint, though the very dark black screen and black glass make the front panel look better in black, and I like the deep black/slate look for me.

I kinda agree with this. :)

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The white.

----------

Every iPhone was black for me until the 5. The aluminum sides with a polished bevel is dead sexy.
I second that.

I also like the all black look but I'm glad I went with white thi time around.
I agree with that statement.

logan-c

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
The one in your hand. What nonsense, does it really matter? Do you look at your neighbors house/flat and wish it were yours?

I sound like an old person.

Jwkwan

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
I have the white I think white is better but it would not matter to me what I got. After a couple YouTube videos and a little searching the web I finally figured that I like the white but I didn't get that much time to think about it. But it is your opinion to be honest. Scratches are less visible and I like the look of the black in some cases. And on YouTube videos the black has a lot more fingerprints and the white down not have many fingerprints.#

----------

The white.

----------

I agree with that statement.

If all your devices are black why don't you change it up

Gr8fulMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Surprised that there's so much disagreement here. From a purely objective point of view, the black is better!! And that's just not a matter of opinion; it's a fact. LOL!!

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I have the white I think white is better but it would not matter to me what I got. After a couple YouTube videos and a little searching the web I finally figured that I like the white but I didn't get that much time to think about it. But it is your opinion to be honest. Scratches are less visible and I like the look of the black in some cases. And on YouTube videos the black has a lot more fingerprints and the white down not have many fingerprints.#

----------

If all your devices are black why don't you change it up
I'm changing things up by getting the iphone 5 in white

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
the white looks, better it has more tone to it, it really shows off the iPhone 5. The back is actually grey and you can see the diamond cut beveled edge. And of course you still have the reflective apple logo on the back.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I don't see how anyone could go for the black one the way it ages. It would really look ugly after a few weeks of use. And the shiny diamond-cut beveled edge on the white iphone really looks stunning and exclusive compared to the standard looking beveled edge on the black iphone

Aging is really the reason not to go for the black one

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
The MacBook-like casing on the White/Silver drew me right in!

My cat definately likes it. I might just get him one!

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
I don't see how anyone could go for the black one the way it ages. It would really look ugly after a few weeks of use. And the shiny diamond-cut beveled edge on the white iphone really looks stunning and exclusive compared to the standard looking beveled edge on the black iphone

Aging is really the reason not to go for the black one

This is why I got white.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
Black IMO. Looks sleek

----------

The black one, looks amazing!

As for the white one I think it's absolutely horrible, much prefer my white 4S.

This.

I thought the white IP5 looked tacky and..just not right. I loved my white iPhone 4S and 3GS but this time around I find the black to be nice.

Kerse

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
Black is great as long as you buy a quality case for it and keep the case on the phone at all times. I've owned the black and didn't always have a case on it so it got some minor cosmetic damage that looked like major damage because of the phones dark color where as my sisters white Iphone 5 had a few more dings on it but never the less it still looked better than my black i5 with less damage. Point is the white looks better than the black UNLESS the black is in FLAWLESS condition.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Black since it gives you a much more immersive experience. Try seeing a picture took with your iPhone 5 in a white version and you'll see 2 bars since it's 4:3 resolution, in the black you cannot notice.

Same for videos

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Black since it gives you a much more immersive experience. Try seeing a picture took with your iPhone 5 in a white version and you'll see 2 bars since it's 4:3 resolution, in the black you cannot notice.

Same for videos

i'm not sure if i'm understanding you right. both white and black iphones have 16:9 displays, and both phones take 4:3 pictures. when i'm viewing pictures or videos on either device, i'm seeing the same thing.

if you're talking about the white bezel being a distraction, your mind learns to ignore it over (a short amount of) time. i've had a white iphone 4, a white iphone 4s, and a white iphone 5. the white is never a bother.

to answer the original question, i do think the black iphone is ever so slightly more striking than the white, and that's saying a lot coming from a person who's always chosen white iphones. i wound up picking white, however, because of the flaking and more noticeable finger prints on the black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.