Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you make New Year Resolutions

• Yes

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 51.1%

• Total voters

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Do you make New Year Resolutions and if so what are they for 2013?

I'm going to try and loose some weight and use my cross trainer a little more often!
Also spend less at the apple store!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I generally don't but this year I'm looking to improve my character.

I'd like to spend more time with my kids, increase my dedication to my karate training and also be more active in my running. I usually only run between 3 to 5 miles a day in the winter. If its cold like it is right now, I just do the bare minimum but I'd like to average closer to 20 miles per week instead of 15. In the summer I'd like that average climb to 25-30 miles.

For karate I'd like to execute my techniques with power and speed and fluid motion.

Most importantly is shutting the computer down and spending time with my kids. I love to hear play with me daddy - I don't want the demands of work and MR to reduce my time with my kids.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Most importantly is shutting the computer down and spending time with my kids. I love to hear play with me daddy - I don't want the demands of work and MR to reduce my time with my kids.

Good for you. I spend a lot of time with my daughter already compared to some, but I guess I should not be such a slave to work emails as well! The joy of our modern world is even when you are away from the computer you are never away from work etc.

Happy New year!

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I do, but I try to give them a wide scope so I don't get focused on one thing and neglect everything else.

My resolutions are to work harder at both my work and my hobbies (whatever they may be in the year to come), and to, above all else, stay positive by any means necessary (this time last year I was depressed, I don't want to feel like that ever again). And, at the risk of sounding slightly cliché, I'd quite like a successful relationship too.*

*A D/s one ;)

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I started my NYR the day after Christmas and that is to become frugal as hell. Looking back over the last year, I've spent well over $6,500 just on eating out and going to bars and clubs. My bar tabs always look like a car payment at the end of the night. :eek: I guess that is the one downside of being too social and going out three or four nights a week; it's not cheap.

I've always justified it by telling myself that I'm single and have no wife or kids to look after but the way I blow through money is beyond ridiculous. And that number doesn't count all the Apple stuff I'm always upgrading, nor my random visits to the mall for new clothes, or my Amazon.com addiction. Ugh.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
my new years resolution is 1080p HD. :)

Upgrading to ATV 3 then?

----------

I started my NYR the day after Christmas and that is to become frugal as hell. Looking back over the last year, I've spent well over $6,500 just on eating out and going to bars and clubs. My bar tabs always look like a car payment at the end of the night. :eek: I guess that is the one downside of being too social and going out three or four nights a week; it's not cheap.

I've always justified it by telling myself that I'm single and have no wife or kids to look after but the way I blow through money is beyond ridiculous. And that number doesn't count all the Apple stuff I'm always upgrading, nor my random visits to the mall for new clothes, or my Amazon.com addiction. Ugh.

I have a wife and daughter and still manage to run up a reasonable bar tab on nights out. Just as well I don't get out to often.
The money I spend on clothes in a year probably wouldn't run to £2 a week!

----------

I do, but I try to give them a wide scope so I don't get focused on one thing and neglect everything else.

My resolutions are to work harder at both my work and my hobbies (whatever they may be in the year to come), and to, above all else, stay positive by any means necessary (this time last year I was depressed, I don't want to feel like that ever again). And, at the risk of sounding slightly cliché, I'd quite like a successful relationship too.*

*A D/s one ;)

Glad your depression is behind you. Good luck with that special relationship.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I don't. I've never known anyone to actually keep their resolutions. Especially those who say every year "I'm going to go to the gym!!" So they buy a pricey gym membership, go twice, and never return.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I don't. I've never known anyone to actually keep their resolutions. Especially those who say every year "I'm going to go to the gym!!" So they buy a pricey gym membership, go twice, and never return.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to those folks crowding the gym for all of January while they try.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

That's why I bought a cross trainer instead. Plus if I've just got half an hour I can still exercise.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Not resolutions as such, but plans;
Get a house, maybe get an office/studio, maaaybe start driving lessons

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well, I'm working on mine right now. Organizing my digital files and keeping it all nice. Currently listening to every album I own, and rating/playlisting it all in iTunes (I'm on album 32 so far :eek:).

Next year I will start writing, sketching, and developing my own games and programs. That's pretty much my main goal for next year, to have something ready by the fall.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I made one New Year's resolution 11 years ago that I've kept, and will continue to keep for the rest of my life. I stopped using cocaine, or any other drug for that matter.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I do make NY resolutions, despite most people I know being all cynical about it - but hey, it's a nice point on the calendar to change/start something. Suits me!

My resolutions are a mix of resolutions and goals, I think. I'm a novelist, so in 2013 I want to sell three more novels, finish two in-progress edits (both have deadlines in the first half of 2013), and finish two in-progress drafts. Those are more concrete goals, although one of the novels I want to sell represents a step into another genre/market, so that's a bigger ambition. This business is a combination of hard work and luck, so the only thing I can do is the hard work bit that should get me to the right place, and then I just need to wait for the right time.

I also want to write more and write better, and to help with that I have another resolution: use time more wisely/efficiently, which means less faffing on the internet!

But I think 2013 will be a good year.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I do make NY resolutions, despite most people I know being all cynical about it - but hey, it's a nice point on the calendar to change/start something. Suits me!

My resolutions are a mix of resolutions and goals, I think. I'm a novelist, so in 2013 I want to sell three more novels, finish two in-progress edits (both have deadlines in the first half of 2013), and finish two in-progress drafts. Those are more concrete goals, although one of the novels I want to sell represents a step into another genre/market, so that's a bigger ambition. This business is a combination of hard work and luck, so the only thing I can do is the hard work bit that should get me to the right place, and then I just need to wait for the right time.

I also want to write more and write better, and to help with that I have another resolution: use time more wisely/efficiently, which means less faffing on the internet!

But I think 2013 will be a good year.

Anything I might have read?

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I like to make a 101 Things in 1001 days list every 3 years. This would be my third one but I don't think I'm going to bother this time because my track record is so bad, haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.