New Year Resolutions 2013

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Apple fanboy, Dec 30, 2012.

?

Do you make New Year Resolutions

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Do you make New Year Resolutions and if so what are they for 2013?

I'm going to try and loose some weight and use my cross trainer a little more often!
    Also spend less at the apple store!

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I generally don't but this year I'm looking to improve my character.

I'd like to spend more time with my kids, increase my dedication to my karate training and also be more active in my running. I usually only run between 3 to 5 miles a day in the winter. If its cold like it is right now, I just do the bare minimum but I'd like to average closer to 20 miles per week instead of 15. In the summer I'd like that average climb to 25-30 miles.

For karate I'd like to execute my techniques with power and speed and fluid motion.

Most importantly is shutting the computer down and spending time with my kids. I love to hear play with me daddy - I don't want the demands of work and MR to reduce my time with my kids.

3. thread starter macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Good for you. I spend a lot of time with my daughter already compared to some, but I guess I should not be such a slave to work emails as well! The joy of our modern world is even when you are away from the computer you are never away from work etc.

Happy New year!

4. macrumors 68040

0dev

I do, but I try to give them a wide scope so I don't get focused on one thing and neglect everything else.

My resolutions are to work harder at both my work and my hobbies (whatever they may be in the year to come), and to, above all else, stay positive by any means necessary (this time last year I was depressed, I don't want to feel like that ever again). And, at the risk of sounding slightly cliché, I'd quite like a successful relationship too.*

*A D/s one ;)

5. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I started my NYR the day after Christmas and that is to become frugal as hell. Looking back over the last year, I've spent well over $6,500 just on eating out and going to bars and clubs. My bar tabs always look like a car payment at the end of the night. :eek: I guess that is the one downside of being too social and going out three or four nights a week; it's not cheap.

I've always justified it by telling myself that I'm single and have no wife or kids to look after but the way I blow through money is beyond ridiculous. And that number doesn't count all the Apple stuff I'm always upgrading, nor my random visits to the mall for new clothes, or my Amazon.com addiction. Ugh.

6. macrumors member

new years res

my new years resolution is 1080p HD. :)

7. thread starter macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Upgrading to ATV 3 then?

----------

I have a wife and daughter and still manage to run up a reasonable bar tab on nights out. Just as well I don't get out to often.
    The money I spend on clothes in a year probably wouldn't run to £2 a week!

----------

Glad your depression is behind you. Good luck with that special relationship.

8. macrumors G3

roadbloc

9. macrumors 65816

I don't. I've never known anyone to actually keep their resolutions. Especially those who say every year "I'm going to go to the gym!!" So they buy a pricey gym membership, go twice, and never return.

10. macrumors 6502a

Tulani

11. macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Yeah, I'm looking forward to those folks crowding the gym for all of January while they try.

12. thread starter macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

That's why I bought a cross trainer instead. Plus if I've just got half an hour I can still exercise.

13. macrumors Core

Dagless

Not resolutions as such, but plans;
    Get a house, maybe get an office/studio, maaaybe start driving lessons

14. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Well, I'm working on mine right now. Organizing my digital files and keeping it all nice. Currently listening to every album I own, and rating/playlisting it all in iTunes (I'm on album 32 so far :eek:).

Next year I will start writing, sketching, and developing my own games and programs. That's pretty much my main goal for next year, to have something ready by the fall.

15. macrumors 6502a

MasterHowl

Never made one, never will.

If something needs to change in your life, do it. Don't wait for December 31st to tick over to January 1st.

16. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

I made one New Year's resolution 11 years ago that I've kept, and will continue to keep for the rest of my life. I stopped using cocaine, or any other drug for that matter.

17. thread starter macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Good for you. Glad you were able to walk away from using. Happy New Year.

18. macrumors 6502a

Caris

Yes, and I stick to them.

Which is why I'm 90lb lighter than I was a few years ago.

19. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

Thanks man. And a Happy New Year to you too :)

20. thread starter macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

90lb? thats a lot of Newcastle Brown Ale! I used to live in Gateshead for a bit a few years ago. I loved the Big Market for a night out.

21. zen
    macrumors 65816

I do make NY resolutions, despite most people I know being all cynical about it - but hey, it's a nice point on the calendar to change/start something. Suits me!

My resolutions are a mix of resolutions and goals, I think. I'm a novelist, so in 2013 I want to sell three more novels, finish two in-progress edits (both have deadlines in the first half of 2013), and finish two in-progress drafts. Those are more concrete goals, although one of the novels I want to sell represents a step into another genre/market, so that's a bigger ambition. This business is a combination of hard work and luck, so the only thing I can do is the hard work bit that should get me to the right place, and then I just need to wait for the right time.

I also want to write more and write better, and to help with that I have another resolution: use time more wisely/efficiently, which means less faffing on the internet!

But I think 2013 will be a good year.

22. thread starter macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Anything I might have read?

23. macrumors regular

I like to make a 101 Things in 1001 days list every 3 years. This would be my third one but I don't think I'm going to bother this time because my track record is so bad, haha.

24. macrumors 68020

Keep doing what I'm doing.

Executing on the resolutions I made on New Years Day 2000.

They're serving me well :D

25. macrumors 603

Too bad you can't gamify the Ban Hammer. Then banning spammers would literally be child's play.