Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Adding multiple colours and larger screens as rumoured. What happened to innovation?

Are Apple right to now? Is it really industry fact Apple has fallen behind and now has to play catch up?

How come in 2007 they never released a better mega pixel in the Iphone 3G at the height of the camera phone market battle?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At this point you're jumping to conclusions. The colors are just a rumor, we have no idea what other changes may be in store with the next generation iPhone.

Apple's M.O. has always been small incremental changes however so I wouldn't be surprised if we'd not see too much but because of the competition, I'm hoping that won't be the case this time.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I dont think Apple would make this kind of change not on the base model like 6 . At 5S there wont be a huge difference but on the 6 we can see those changes I believe.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
For comparison sake..
Wii - 97 million sold
XBOX 360 - 70 million sold
PS3 - 70 million sold

Arguably the most underpowered and gimmicky console of "last" gen destroyed both of it's competitors, one of which had been on the market for a year prior to its release. You don't need to make "new" "breakthrough" devices, you need to make devices people want to buy, which Apple is pretty much unparallelled in.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
For comparison sake..
Wii - 97 million sold
XBOX 360 - 70 million sold
PS3 - 70 million sold

Arguably the most underpowered and gimmicky console of "last" gen destroyed both of it's competitors, one of which had been on the market for a year prior to its release. You don't need to make "new" "breakthrough" devices, you need to make devices people want to buy, which Apple is pretty much unparallelled in.

Well... I agree with you about Apple, but your console comparison isn't really a good argument.

At first, Nintendo sold more Wii's because of the gimmick and it attracted people who normally wouldn't play video games. Later on it sold well because you can set it up to pirate games after about 5 minutes of applying software hacks.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Well... I agree with you about Apple, but your console comparison isn't really a good argument.

At first, Nintendo sold more Wii's because of the gimmick and it attracted people who normally wouldn't play video games. Later on it sold well because you can set it up to pirate games after about 5 minutes of applying software hacks.

I would have to think that attributed to a VERY small percentage of units sold. 1% maybe? 5% at most? Even at 20% that would still leave it in the lead.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Adding multiple colours and larger screens as rumoured. What happened to innovation?

Are Apple right to now? Is it really industry fact Apple has fallen behind and now has to play catch up?

How come in 2007 they never released a better mega pixel in the Iphone 3G at the height of the camera phone market battle?

bollox.

I wouldn't get the same functionality from a droid phone than I would with an iPhone with my home set up.

Try and look at the bigger picture like Apple have.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Apple does need to catch up a bit but not much. They are selling like hotcakes so obviously they are doing something right

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Did 90% of Mac Rumours IOS claims not come true last year?

4" Iphone
Two Ipads in a year
Slate black and longer Iphone
Multiple colour Ipod touches

and the list goes on.

Ipods now have colours so what makes anybody think Iphone and Ipad don't go down the same line? I reckon it will happen. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

4" Iphone
Two Ipads in a year

and the list goes on.

Ipods now have colours so what makes anybody think Iphone and Ipad don't go down the same line? I reckon it will happen. :rolleyes:

No not 90%, there were lots of rumours that didn't come true.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

4" Iphone
Two Ipads in a year

and the list goes on.

iPods themselves have been color for quite some time now. It's just that the iPod touch finally got color, and rightly so as it should follow along with its product line. You don't see business people toting around a colorful iPod touch for work do you? I still think they won't do colors because the iPhone is meant to be a tool to get things done. The iPod, while still capable, is more meant for entertainment purposes.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Aren't you just the little prophet of doom?:p

iPods and iPhones are 2 very different products, and as such, just because Apple makes certain decisions concerning the iPod doesn't mean they will do the same with the iPhone and iPad.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I'm not sure I agree that people purchased the Wii for the sole intention of hacking it (the same could be said about the XBOX, or the iPhone once the JB became available). Just like the members on MacRumors don't represent the larger iPhone owning public, hackers don't represent the majority of console owners.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Why is Apple changing the direction of Iphone?

Because they got NEW management?

What's wrong with color? I kinda loved the candied iMacs of the late 90's.

U want a better camera, the other fellah want 4-cores, many seem to cry out for a bigger display. Well, u just have to be patience because Apple is not calling you in for a focus group.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Apple does need to catch up a bit but not much. They are selling like hotcakes so obviously they are doing something right

This. Only a desperate company would make radical changes to appease the 1% (or less) of fanboys who think Apple isn't "innovative" enough.

The rest of the world happily plunked down their $$$ for the privelege of waiting for WEEKS, all for a device that these same fanboys claimed was just a bigger 4S.

Just because it doesn't shoot laser beams doesn't mean it isn't a perfectly good BUSINESS decision (which is what Apple is).

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
the new snapdragon processors coming out and tegra 4 was released makes me worry about how apple chips can keep up ;/ i feel like androids are going to be able to do what budget laptops can soon lol i dont care about how "laggy" you think the android OS is because you used gingerbread who knows how long ago but recently,

my ihpone 5 crashes words with friends, facebook, even stock photo viewer and the reason you dont know it does is because it wont give you a reaon like android does. you dont have to click anything your jsut exited back out to the home screen. if android did that a lot of people woudlnt care about how buggy it is. but thats not cool i want to know the error report

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
the new snapdragon processors coming out and tegra 4 was released makes me worry about how apple chips can keep up ;/ i feel like androids are going to be able to do what budget laptops can soon lol i dont care about how "laggy" you think the android OS is because you used gingerbread who knows how long ago but recently,

I don't know about snapdragon but the Tegra 4 isn't going to be a big threat. Because it's a normal evolution so obviously it will be slightly faster. But you have to keep in mind that Android devices generally need more raw power for the same amount of performance as iOS devices, so yea slightly faster processors won't really change things much.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

Here we go. :rolleyes:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is it really industry fact Apple has fallen behind and now has to play catch up?
No, it's a popular discussion forum topic that the armchair analysts love to stir up time and time again. This criticism comes up for every company out there. It's just a variation of the whole greener grass thing.

Why does that matter? MP is just MP. How is it relevant to their current direction?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.