Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Aw got Thunderbolt and Lightning mixed up and thought they dropped the prices of lightning cables/accessories! haha!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I hear one day they might figure out how to put both types of ports on the same computer! :eek:

(/s)

Problem isn't port availability, its peripheral availability. Have the ports all you want but good luck finding something to connect to them.

Not good for us.

TB can become a FireWire port, a Gigabit Port, an extension for the PCIe port to expand graphic card capabilities, etc, not to mention connect to a display and the display becomes a hub, etc.

USB3.0 cannot.

TB is a PCIe extension directly connected to the motherboard, kind of like the now dead ExpressCard.

I know, i like Thunderbolt...a lot. But the reality is it hasn't taken off in terms of peripherals.

Last edited:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Problem isn't port availability, its peripheral availability. Have the ports all you want but good luck finding something to connect to them.

Well, I'll probably add an external SSD to my 2011 iMac at some point soon :) And for that purpose, I don't need a long cable, so it'll be nice to only have to pay about 1/2 as much as before for one.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Heh, I'd rather have a touchscreen than a thunderbolt port.

It makes sense for Windows 8, but the Ultrabook concept isn't specifically about Intel catering to Microsoft. It is about promoting Intel. If an inexpensive universal dock became more prevalent, we could see Ultrabooks with fewer ports (perhaps just one USB 3.0 and one Thunderbolt port).

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
$9.99 would be fair.

Sounds right... $9.99 is probably the sweet spot

I remember buying a 512mb jump drive a long time ago --6 years or so---for something like $26 or thereabouts....
With Electronics and technology, eventually everything comes down in price... Like 1080p TVs... 5 years ago a 37" model went for $1100... now you can get one for somewhere in the $350 range...

So much anger on this topic.... if you need it, buy it... if not... don't. :rolleyes:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Oh how generous of them :rolleyes:

Still pointless when you can't plug that damn cable into anything other than an overpriced external hard drive.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Cool, i'm buying soon a Lacie thunderbolt raid hd and the short cable is enough for my desk :)

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Thunderbolt is headed exactly where Firewire is today :eek:

Pro market? I work in a shop and we sell FW hardware everyday to professionals. Thunderbolt is the same, it does what USB and other connection can't. Sure it is more expensive, but soo many users are too stupid to understand that if they don't need Thunderbolt, someone else do.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Pro market? I work in a shop and we sell FW hardware everyday to professionals. Thunderbolt is the same, it does what USB and other connection can't. Sure it is more expensive, but soo many users are too stupid to understand that if they don't need Thunderbolt, someone else do.

Yeah that's why even Apple up on FW and stopped removing it from their computers :rolleyes:

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I understand a little that the ends of the cables are a bit complicated to make but going 2.0m (over 6 feet) to 0.5m (little over a foot and and 1/2) and only taking $10 off BLOWS MY FREAKING MIND! That's a rip off if I have ever seen one! $30 got a 0.5m able. I don't care if it can do 10Gbs per second.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Yeah that's why even Apple up on FW and stopped removing it from their computers :rolleyes:
Well, would you rather have one FW port and one TB port or two TB ports? And not just today but also in two-years time because your dual-TB port computer will very likely be still in use in two years.

----------

Thunderbolt is headed exactly where Firewire is today :eek:

I couldn't wish for more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.