Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
But right now, it is turning into USB 3.0 and no Thunderbolt at all.
Can you give me any reason why somebody would buy a TB device instead of USB 3 device when connecting single drive (HDD, SSD, memory card, Ethernet adaptor), even if TB were on every computer and would cost the same as USB 3?

If for 95% of current devices (who knows about SSD speed in the future) and for only using one or two devices at a time, USB 3 is not slower than TB, TB would not be chosen by the majority even if it did cost the same.

So, the price is not helping TB but even at equal price only a minority would buy it.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Perhaps this year's CES really outlined that Thunderbolt is not targeted at the same consumer demographic as most of the rest of the schlock found at that show.

Yes in that context "Consumer" means lowest common denominator.
Pretty much no one other than the ingest and poo in to landfill crowd.

SicMX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Ok Ok. how much did it cost you again?

Quite a bit, but I had the old Lacie 2Bigs (FW800, USB 2.0) and 4big (FW800, eSata) for the last 5 years (without any issues) and i'm hoping these new ones will last at least 5 years too. The warranty is good for 3 of those 5 years so I should be ok.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
With more and more things becoming wireless, I see USB3 becoming less and less relevant.
Wireless is added to more cameras, people use NAS or the cloud for extra storage and backup, use airplay or similar to connect to their TV etc.

I fail to see how USB3 is needed for the average consumer really. Sure, you might need to hook up a device every now and then, but USB2 is good enough for that.

So that leaves us with the pros and pro-sumers, and there's also where Thunderbolt kicks USB3 in the butt. USB3 has no way of extending the capability of portables the way TB has.

I completely understand the lack of interest in TB today, but I do believe that it will change in the coming 2-3 years. The remaining cables in an otherwise wireless world will need to be as powerful and versatile as Thunderbolt.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Uh again ? I didn't say I didn't support cheaper cables, only that I can't encourage it. The only way to encourage Apple here is to buy the cables. I don't have a need for them so I'm not going to buy them just to encourage Apple.

Well then in that case I agree :)

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
For the love of god, please someone make a TB -> USB 3 adaptor so that I can get some use out of my TB port.

One year on and it hasn't been used *once*.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
For the love of god, please someone make a TB -> USB 3 adaptor so that I can get some use out of my TB port.

I guess someone should make a VGA (or DVI or HDMI or mDP) to USB 3 adaptor, so all the computers without TB not using an external display get some use out of their video ports.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006

I haven't used my ethernet port on this MacBook ever. But that doesn't bother me. I knew that it was there when I bought it.

I use the TB port practically every day though.

People have different needs you see.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008

I use mine every day to connect to my ATD, but of course, the ATD only has USB 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.