Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Wait.... Apple said they can't help me find my stolen Mac because they don't have a system to keep track of serial numbers.... But they do for the former CEO/founder??? So if I send Apple my serial number, they will now help me? Now I'm going to try.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

I know it's to different penal-systems, but still, the punishment doesn't really seem fit for the crime...

If I didn't know better, I'd say it's because it was Steve Jobs house.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime, but the punishment fits the criminal. He's robbed houses before. Not only did he rob the house, but he tried to get away and could have gotten away.

But it's too bad he didn't get away. He costs much more money to taxpayers in jail than to society out of jail.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
This idiot will cost taxpayers over $40k per year in prison, a place where he is probably comfortable and can meet up with sweaty men.

Better is making offenders work at useful things as work is the one thing they hate and avoid.
I think our prison system needs to be reinvented, you are right. Nowadays it seems like staying, i don't want to say at a hotel, but maybe at a college dorm. They stay in clean well lit well heated prison cells, with meals, some work, and just endless hours of pumping steel at the gym.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
Where is the firebreak around those homes? Isn't this in the hills where they get forest fires on a regular basis? Those trees are "right against" and "overhang" the houses...

The home is not in the hills. It's in a nice residential area of the city of Palo Alto.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
$60,000 worth of Apple products...... [he] stole two iMacs, three iPads, three iPods, an Apple TV.......

I know apple mark up the price of their products, but come on $60,000.
In England, burglary can be up to 14 years for domestic properties and 10 for commercial. So this sentence sounds about right.

Jewelry was also stolen, accounting for most of that $60K.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
7 years seems just about right. It wasn't just the jobs home, it was multiple home invasion burglaries.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Seems like a long time.
Guy had priors.

----------

which tracked where the stolen devices were being used by matching their serial numbers with connections to Apple iTunes servers. The IP address in use matched a line in McFarlin's apartment in nearby

Find this slightly concerning that apple can just track the location of a device.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
If he had broken into any other person's home he would not have gotten such a harsh sentence

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Soooo...they'll do this for everyone when their device is stolen right?

Riiiiiiightt.....

:rolleyes:

If it was part of a burglary where $60,000 worth of goods were stolen?

If he had broken into any other person's home he would not have gotten such a harsh sentence

He broke into a large number of other persons' homes. That's why he got the harsh sentence.

Oh "boo-hoo, I'm traumatized"... You can't seriously compare PTSD to being murdered? But yeah, it's not that 7 years for home invasion and theft is too high, it's that the sentences for violent crimes often is disgustingly lenient.

An event like that can destroy someone's life. Wait until you are seventy, not fit enough to think that you could cope with any danger, and some people in that situation who were leading quite happy lives will stay locked in their home forever afterwards. Life sentence for the victim.

In England, burglary can be up to 14 years for domestic properties and 10 for commercial. So this sentence sounds about right.

Never heard of a burglary getting a sentence anywhere near that.

Last edited:

AppleDude

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Relative System We Have (says Yoda)

Harsh sentence for a non-violent crime stealing from a billionaire. wow! Why can't we have a relative law system. This is crap.

Hmm. You're suggesting the fact that the victim was a billionaire should lessen his penalty. If that’s what you mean by, “relative,” I wouldn't want a relative system.

However, we do generally have a relative system. The courts consider past behavior, the age of the offender, the amount stolen, the extent of cooperation with LE, and sometimes, even why the crime was committed (was the perp being coerced?)

To be more subjective, I think a 7-year sentence (i.e. about 3 years actually served) is a little on the low side considering the extent of his criminal career, the amount of merchandise stolen over his career and, mostly, the fact that he scared the poop out of so many people after violating their homes.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

1. The court bought his story that the shot was an accident.
2. The two years and eight months sentence includes several other crimes as well.
3. I'd expect the prosecution to appeal.

In related news, Sweden is obviously using a system with only 10 months per year... :p

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Should have executed him, in fact execute all criminals, solves population, tax issues, and makes for a safer place. Simple

I hope thats a joke in bad taste.

Hypothetical situation: Someone is wrongly accused and executed. How do you go back from that exactly?

There's a very good reason the US is the only country left in the developed world killing criminals.

Nothing gives a person, government, etc the right to terminate someone elses life, period.

----------

Hmm. You're suggesting the fact that the victim was a billionaire should lessen his penalty. If that’s what you mean by, “relative,” I wouldn't want a relative system.

If the 7 year term was 'harsh' by US standards then I'd argue that his penalty was worse because the victim was a billionaire.

----------

14 years is the MAXIMUM. In reality its more like 4 years, 2 years with good behavior.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Oh "boo-hoo, I'm traumatized"... You can't seriously compare PTSD to being murdered? But yeah, it's not that 7 years for home invasion and theft is too high, it's that the sentences for violent crimes often is disgustingly lenient.

Oh wow, that is an incredibly obtuse comment.

It's entirely possible that you'll never sleep through the night again. Imagine having waking nightmares, every night, that are vividly real where you wake to see someone standing over you, but you are paralyzed. You can't move or scream. You hear your children screaming, being murdered by another intruder in the next room.

You wake up in a cold sweat with your heart pounding desperately trying to prove you're *really* awake now and that it was just a dream, and that everyone is OK.

Every night. Try it.

But you're a tough guy, aren't you? Real tough guy. None of that being "traumatized" stuff for you.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I would like to see a photos of the same perspective taken now that considerable time has passed.

Mac21ND said:
So, is this like, you get 7 years, but you'll only serve 6 months?
Pretty much, he will serve about half the sentence. As a non-violent offender he is ranked higher for release, and all prisoners get time off for good behavior. I am of the view he will be no more "punished or rehabilitated or made aware of the severity of his acts" whether he serves 24 months or 98 months. Our CA jails are overstuffed to the point of a Federal order to release prisoners immediately. The Governor has been shifting inmates to county jails and this person may qualify for that.

Jail is a hotbed of unenforced crimes the officials know are happening, to the peril of the inmates, against every law or principal our justice system espouses. It's our domestic version of everything unholy. There has to be a better way to deal with crime. Don't even get me started on the "public schools". Government does everything badly.

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Rtfa

Every other post in here is about how "harsh" the sentence was, and every reply to every other post indicates that the guy burglarized several homes and ripped off tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff in total.... How many more pages are going to scroll by just because MacRumors has turned into a place where people vent their frustrations about society on every article they never properly read?

Mods take note: THIS is why I rarely come here now.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
Seems excessive.....but I guess the family lawyers could summon the devil if they wanted.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
People, where are your ethics?

A crime is a crime...

The idiot knew he was committing the crime when he did it. And no there was nothing super sophisticated about the tracking of a Serial Number to a piece of hardware.

All of you should do a little research on just how easy it is to locate an individual based on Mac Addresses and Serial numbers when they connect to any network.

If you go online with any device, you are traceable... A stolen asset is easily traceable and considering the items in question that Job's owned were likely corporate assets at one point that would explain why they had serial numbers for each in a database. Also if you've ever registered your Mac, or iPhone or any such Apple computing device the Serial number is always associated with your Apple ID. So yes, You and Apple can easily retrieve that info.

That all being said... regarding the sentence... it is what it is. Not too high or too low. I say do what ever it takes to discourage the guy from stealing. Quite frankly though, considering he is a repeat offender, I highly doubt a seven year sentence is going to stop him from stealing again.

Maybe, with real rehabilitation, psychiatric meds and a proper job when he is released from prison he could change his life, but the way they half ass everything in the penal system (outside high profile prosecutions) I don't see much hope for this guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.