Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Being interested in revenue for the sake of revenue is not a bad thing. In fact, it's a smart thing. I wish Tim Cook would've been honest and said something like this:

"We made a ********* of cash last quarter, we already had a ********* of cash in the bank, and our goal for next quarter is to release some really good stuff so we have even more cash in the bank the next time we report back to you. We're interested in making really good products; but we're only going to focus on the products that increase revenue. Revenue keeps the lights on, devs employed, and stockholders happy. So yes, in case you were wondering, we really ARE interested in revenue for the sake of revenue."

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
That famous Halo is dimming a bit, why are Mac sales lower than last year?
Can't be just iMac delays etc.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
+1. The whole point of a company is to make profit :confused:

This was what they taught in business schools 20 years ago. What they teach now is Stakeholder Theory. A business exists to meet the needs of all the stakeholders which include shareholders, employees, customers, the community, etc. Not all stakeholders get the same priority, but managers have to balance the needs of all those people. So, I wish people would give the old "we exist only to make money" thing a rest. Granted, if a company is not profitable it simply fails. But good management requires a balancing of many constituencies.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Biggest lie ever.

Good products make money. Apple makes great products. Does their making great products mean they simply want to make money? Or do they enjoy making great products? The engineers and management at Apple aren't putting in the hours and effort to engineer such beautiful computers merely for the sake of money; it isn't worth it. Most people realize that this is an exercise in futility, even if it takes a period of time.

The counterargument to this is that Apple charges good money for these products, and that this means that they are simply "greedy". If they gave the products away free, then how would they pay for them? What price is appropriate otherwise? The usual response is for people to check their wallet and say "this much."

Most at Apple are likely there because they believe in the products that they are selling, and are looking to engineer better hardware, software, etc. Note, Tim says they aren't interested in profit for the sake of profit. Are they attempting to make money? Sure. Is this the sole motivation? I don't think there is any reasonable way to suggest that to be the case. They enjoy making good products. Ask a builder, architect, programmer, anyone if making a good product is rewarding. I think your response is jaded and unwarranted.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
ok...so let me make this simple for you....what comes first....revenue or profit? You have to have revenue first to make a profit from......revenue equals sales......you cannot make a profit without sales. Doesn't mean you have to diminish the brand...but you have to have revenue before you can make a profit from the revenue.....

Why is this so hard for people to understand? People have complained to Apple that they should just lower the prices of Macs and they would get more marketshare and hence more revenue. But what they would also do is get less profit. Apple is not playing the revenue game. If they could take a reduction in revenue and increase their profits, they would. BTW, you don't have to make it simple for me, I am a professor in a business school.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Quote:
The most important thing to Apple is to make the best products in the world. We aren't interested in revenue for revenue's sake

>>I guess releasing an ipad mini with retina screen does not apply here.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....With regard to the Apple TV, Cook reiterated it was an area that they had intense interest in.....

Article Link: Tim Cook on Defending Marketshare, Product Pipeline 'Chock Full', Apple TV Growth

Cook's continued asserting of "intense interest" in the APPLE TV somehow makes me think that APPLE expects some type of breakthru with that whole endeavor some time in the foreseeable future. Why else would he keep bringing it up, thereby raising expectations, and setting himself up for disappointing everyone.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Cook's continued asserting of "intense interest" in the APPLE TV somehow makes me think that APPLE expects some type of breakthru with that whole endeavor some time in the foreseeable future. Why else would he keep bringing it up, thereby raising expectations, and setting himself up for disappointing everyone.

So true. He's pulling those strings around Comcast's throat. Tighter and tighter.

Eventually Comcast will give in.

I'd keep an eye on Comcast.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
So true. He's pulling those strings around Comcast's throat. Tighter and tighter.

I hope they can do this like they did with the music industry. However, I fear that the music industry didn't see it coming, but the cable industry does. It's going to take some real finessing or arm twisting to pull another iTunes like move on the TV/movie/cable industry.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
There needs to be some better reading comprehension by people. Let me help you. First, Revenue is not the same as Profit. Apple has always focused on profit not revenue. Second, it was revenue for revenue's sake. This means that if Apple could make more revenue by making a crappy product than by making a quality product they would not do it. And they have demonstrated repeatedly that they aren't out for just revenue, or just market share.

I understand the "revenue for revenue's sake" part and believe it, but the whole thing about Apple's top priority being making good products is not believable, and it's the most common advertising statement made by any company.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No - what they do to differentiate the good Apple products from ones they just slap their name on is putting the word "beta" or "hobby" on

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009

Let's hope he keeps pulling until Comcast is dead. Does anyone actually LIKE Comcast?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Biggest lie ever.

Apple's strategy and planning and resulting actions really, truly, DO put a quality experience ahead of raw numbers. This prioritizing, in turn, IS profitable. Have cake, eat it too.

If you don't see how Apple is different here from other companies, don't feel bad: the competition is equally clueless as they chase raw dollars and release mediocrity. They think it works--but Apple's focus is not only best for the user, it's best for the bottom line!

I think Amazon might get it. Not Google, Samsung, or Microsoft. And who else is really competing?

Says who?

The Mini is 8".

Even though it's physically lighter, thinner, and smaller by volume than the competion, performs super fast in real-world tests, and yet still gets great battery life.

It's smaller AND bigger. Speaking of having cake and eating it too :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.