Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
What's ridiculous about it? Wozniak designed the first two products; Jobs sold them.

Without Wozniak, Jobs would've had no circuit boards to sell, and there'd be no Apple Computer to start with.

After that, Wozniak designed the Apple II internals (and Jobs contracted out the case design), which was what really launched Apple and made them both millionaires. That led to everything else.

The same goes for Jobs, of course. Without him, Wozniak would never have sold his hobby boards.

What I had found ridiculous is that nobody I read here said what you said, finally. I know what WOZ did and it was monumental but without somebody to sell the products (As Jobs did) they will humbly stay in the garage and remain the creator's dream. Anybody can create a company and products to go with it but without sales there will be no company.

This is not in regards to you per say but people here are quick to give Woz credit for starting the company and cheerfully ignore the fact that the company was about to fold in the 90's. Jobs came back with his creative genius and spent a good many years rebuilding the company which is why it's successful today. So people can give Woz all the credit they want but truthfully Apple was gonna die in the 90's so these posts about "Without Woz there would be no Apple", that would only be true to the mid 90's and after that Apple would just be nothing more than history. The company being alive and well today has nothing to do with Woz.

Fogtripper

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
It does not matter what everyone here are saying right now. Because when the movie comes out all of you are going to check it out!!!

Saw last night's premier at Sundance. Wasn't terrible. Stayed for the Q&A afterward. Kutcher certainly came off as a Jobs fan.

jobssundance_zpscadf284b.jpeg

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Even if the history is all wrong, a movie could succeed with good writing/directing/acting.
Don't know about the rest of it, but Kutcher can't act.
Kinda reminds me of John Travolta.
They got their starts playing themselves as the mindless Barbarino/Kelso and got the rest of their careers from that.
This is not acting.
Kutcher may be worse because he's just exploiting his slight resemblance to the Steve Jobs of that day. And he fancies himself a "techie". His shark has jumped.
His co-star is getting better reviews, even though I've never seen a picture of Woz from that era that has him in Jerri-curls.
Don't yell at me, its just my opinion.
Oh, and Mila, dump that clown, you ain't no circus girl.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I don't care if the film is accurate, I just want it to be entertaining.

Example: "The Social Network"

From that quick clip, it's hard to make any real conclusions other than Woz looks ridiculous.

The result is that the viewer spends two hours watching cardboard cutouts lose arguments to Ashton Kutcher

Cnet review

Not sounding promising as entertainment so far.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008

Cnet review

Not sounding promising as entertainment so far.
"The result is that the viewer spends two hours watching cardboard cutouts lose arguments to Ashton Kutcher."
Burn, as Kelso would say.
And the reviewer doesn't even say "lose arguments to Steve Jobs" but to Ashton Kutcher.
Double burn.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
What I had found ridiculous is that nobody I read here said what you said, finally. I know what WOZ did and it was monumental but without somebody to sell the products (As Jobs did) they will humbly stay in the garage and remain the creator's dream. Anybody can create a company and products to go with it but without sales there will be no company.

This is not in regards to you per say but people here are quick to give Woz credit for starting the company and cheerfully ignore the fact that the company was about to fold in the 90's. Jobs came back with his creative genius and spent a good many years rebuilding the company which is why it's successful today. So people can give Woz all the credit they want but truthfully Apple was gonna die in the 90's so these posts about "Without Woz there would be no Apple", that would only be true to the mid 90's and after that Apple would just be nothing more than history. The company being alive and well today has nothing to do with Woz.

Well yes it was going to fold due to mismanagement of standard issue business types. The reason there was a company to save was a cash horde generated off the back of apple ][ series. A fan base generated off the back of the apple][ vs com64 nerd wars. Most importantly an engineering and creation culture that at Apple, from all reports, was lead by Wozniak.

Neither Steve was leader apple needed when it started. Jobs came back as that leader, but you do a disservice to history if you just rule out those who lead from the sides.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

He would have given them away and been happy..

I'll conveniently forget Jobs at every opportunity because hey was not a man worthy of respect any more than J.P. Morgan or any of the other robber barons. Because you build a successful doesn't mean I need to like or respect you. I much prefer Stallman, and Torvalds men of strong personality and ideas with huge egos's but are respected because they are deeper than a pond.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
"The result is that the viewer spends two hours watching cardboard cutouts lose arguments to Ashton Kutcher."
Burn, as Kelso would say.
And the reviewer doesn't even say "lose arguments to Steve Jobs" but to Ashton Kutcher.
Double burn.

I guess the question now is...
Is it bad enough to be good?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Woz is irrelevant and only opens his mouth so he can try and be relevant again. What has he done lately, other than stand on line for new phones being released?

Yes, he's so irrelevant that your iPhone wouldn't exist without his expertise, and assistance to Jobs in Starting Apple. Without Woz, Jobs would have ended up selling used cars. Woz is very important to the history of Apple.

What have you done with your life? Help start one of the best Tech companies ever to exist? Oh yeah, unless you helped start IBM, Cicsco, Microsoft, Apple, or Google. You don't have **** on Woz.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Reality is boring. A 90 minutes movie almost always have to "spice it up." Building a computer to make $20, yeah, boring.

I luv u Woz, but I couldn't get pass the first chapter of your book.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, he's so irrelevant that your iPhone wouldn't exist without his expertise, and assistance to Jobs in Starting Apple. Without Woz, Jobs would have ended up selling used cars. Woz is very important to the history of Apple.

What have you done with your life? Help start one of the best Tech companies ever to exist? Oh yeah, unless you helped start IBM, Cicsco, Microsoft, Apple, or Google. You don't have **** on Woz.

While I respect Woz and you're right, no one should talk down on Woz really, IMO the same thing can be said that you wouldn't have your iMac, MacBook Pro, or that stuff without the iPhone. All those great computer boards that they built would just be nothing in general without Jobs having the visions he did.

Or the same thing can be said about Xerox have the GUI at that time? Maybe we should think Xerox even more than Jobs because they had the GUI and it is obvious that the Macintosh GUI was influenced by their GUI based on Apples Design Team being invited to view their GUI Computers.

Without any help none of the big companies would really be here. Maybe we should just thank them so much instead for them licensing or letting them use their hardware or software.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

You weren't reading very carefully then…

Woz was doing some pioneering stuff technically, which when paired with Jobs' mind for business, proved to be a winning combination. Apple would not have happened without either one.

Most people were just trying to defend Woz's rightful place in Apple's history. That takes nothing away from what Jobs did with the Macintosh, or upon his return to Apple. Take a deep breath and relax. Jobs' legacy is secure. Woz doesn't need to lose for Jobs to win.

I think we've really exhausted this topic. Who's up for a pointless debate over who was the better Beatle: Lennon or McCartney? :cool:

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Like many tech nerds I think Woz has a very mild aspergers. I know a man who's has very mild aspergers and everything he says has a haughty, superior or boasting tone... but because it's mild people just assume he's a bit of a tool when he's actually a nice guy. He just doesn't know how how he comes across.

beau09er

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
My 2 Cents

I don't know what actually happened because I'm not Steve or Woz. Hopefully the movie is entertaining just as The Social Network was.

When I watched this first preview/clip/trailer though, I really did feel like it was making Woz look like the stupid one and Steve look like Mr. Perfect. I really didn't like that. All people have flaws, and hopefully they show some of Steve's in order to make it feel more realistic. And if they are going to throw Woz under the bus for being stubborn, hopefully they at least show how smart he is when it comes to engineering.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
This is a film about Jobs. Of course they will keep up the appearances that Jobs invented/designed/came up with everything. It would be a lot more boring if the film was more accurate, e.g. showing company purchases etc.. I wonder if they'll even show how he had a difficult time with his OCD? I just hope most people won't think this is an accurate depiction of his life.

Steve Wozniak has all the right to complaint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.