Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Go Woz! The better of the two Steve's.
Full disclosure... I do own a copy of iWoz.

Oh please, if WOZ was the better of two Steve's then why didn't he build his own company as big as Apple.....LIKE JOBS DID? Better still, why didn't Apple get WOZ back on board to rebuild the company.....AS THEY ASKED JOBS?

Truth is, WOZ is nothing more than an icon from yesteryear and deserves zero credit for why Apple is successful today.

Renzatic

Suspended
Oh please, if WOZ was the better of two Steve's then why didn't he build his own company as big as Apple.....LIKE JOBS DID? Better still, why didn't Apple get WOZ back on board to rebuild the company.....AS THEY ASKED JOBS?

Truth is, WOZ is nothing more than an icon from yesteryear and deserves zero credit for why Apple is successful today.

Truth be told, they didn't seek out Jobs specifically. Apple was shopping around for an OS to replace Classic for the Mac line, and the choice came between NeXT and BE. In fact, if BE didn't overestimate their value and ask for far too much money, Steve likely would've never returned to Apple at all.

Plus some people find more interest in dealing with startup companies, rather than running one well past the point it's huge and mature. I'm not putting down Jobs here, but you can't use it as an a reason why he's "better" than Wozniak.

6EQUJ5

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Those of you complaining about this film - I wonder how you felt about

Argo
The Social Network
The King's Speech
Dolphin Tale
Moneyball
The Blindside
Big Miracle

...and so on...
Well most of those sucked actually. never saw dolphin tale and moneyball was ok, but those others sucked actually. so yes, JOBS is going to be embarrassingly bad.. now if it torpedoes ashton's career then it wasn't without purpose then!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Did they even approach Woz or anyone else from Homebrew to consult when writing this script? To put all those resources and effort into a film and get it so wrong is a shame.

Okay, but why aren't film makers consulting the people they're making a movie about? I thought it was the absolute most basic thing to do: ask those who you make a movie about, let them tell you how it happened, isn't that the most authentic way of doing things?

Agreed. The people are still alive—talk to them.

Walter Isaacson didn't just write the biography without consulting everyone he could about everything.

Isaacson never did a thorough interview with Woz either. Apparently Woz wasn't aware that it was an authorised biography, and declined to formally participate. In any case, Isaacson and his editors certainly didn't get anyone with a fundamental knowledge and understanding of Apple technology to proofread the bloody thing before it went to press—there are some really embarrassing inaccuracies in there, about stuff anyone could research for themselves.

I barely got through the book, as half of the book is Woz telling us how great he is and how smart he is... we already know that... the guy is a genius. I just don't like it when someone tells me how much of a genius they are. If someone else wants to write about him, that's fine.

Woz isn't afraid to tell you how great he is and that he did something you can't do. I would like a bit more modesty.

I thought iWoz was a great book, and much better than the Isaacson bio. I did not get the sense that he was "bragging."

It's always better to have someone else sing your praises rather than having to do it yourself. But if he did some great stuff, to say otherwise isn't genuine modesty—it's called false modesty. And often that's just another reason to try to look good in other people's eyes.

Woz is irrelevant and only opens his mouth so he can try and be relevant again. What has he done lately, other than stand on line for new phones being released?

I'm sorry to those who like Woz here but the truth of the matter is some people here are giving him way too much credit. Sure he was one of the pioneers of Apple but he's not even remotely the reason why the company is successful today. Where was his creative genius when the company was on the verge of going belly up? If he was no longer with the company I see no reason to keep giving him so much credit as if he was the mastermind to the company's success today.

Pop-culture has a very short memory doesn't it. Historians on the hand recognise that without Woz there would have been no Apple in the first place. That is his place in history, and so it shall ever be (unless you take to rewriting history, which is what films like this come dangerously close to doing.) Arguing that Woz deserves zero credit for Apple's more recent success is like saying Newton deserves zero credit for his contribution to science because science has moved on since then. Ridiculous.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Woz was largely divorced from Apple during Mac development. I don't think many people even understand Woz's role and tenure at Apple. It's small, and non-existent during the defining years.

He's role is well overstated by many. He was a founder and created the Apple I & II. Kudos, but how Apple is seen, and known really began with this...

511px-Macintosh_128k_transparency.png

Not so much this...

appleii-system.jpg

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Pop-culture has a very short memory doesn't it. Historians on the hand recognise that without Woz there would have been no Apple in the first place.
Ah, and Steve Jobs never existed from day one. WOZ was all by his lonesome, eating up a storm of burgers no doubt. :rolleyes:

Arguing that Woz deserves zero credit for Apple's more recent success is like saying Newton deserves zero credit for his contribution to science because science has moved on since then. Ridiculous.

I never mentioned anything about Apple's "Recent Success". Gotta love how people re-word stuff to work the argument in their favor.

I'm talking about Apple rebuilding themselves when Jobs returned. That took years of hard work from JOBS, not WOZ. Apple is successful because of Jobs' creative genius and his willingness to believe that people will accept change. He also knew how to get people excited about tech again. I just love the WOZ fans who act like WOZ was alone during the inception of Apple Computer. :p

He is such a loser at this point that he has to shamelessly use this upcoming movie to plug his new book. If he's such a success on his own then he doesn't need to go to Gizmodo to give his input on the movie and plug his book, which is probably what his M.O was from jump street.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
What I find funny is that they chose THAT clip to debut the film to the public. What does that say about the rest of the film when a scene with such misinformation and horrible acting is the one they choose to represent the rest of the 90+ minutes right out of the gate?

This film will likely end up filling the same purpose that Ed Wood movies do. A low grade film for stoned college students to laugh at the filmmakers' unfounded arrogance.

The irony is the film looks to be a haphazard and mediocre biopic about a guy who spent his entire life hating and rallying against mediocrity and subpar standards. In keeping with Jobs' spirit, I think Apple should release a statement upon the film's release that simply states, "This is ****."

Renzatic

Suspended
Not so much this...

Are you kidding me? The Apple II was EVERYWHERE back in the early-mid 80's. Every classroom in my elementary school had one. It's the one computer everyone associates with the earlier success of the company.

The original Macintosh, while ultimately a better indicator of the direction the industry was headed, wasn't nearly so well known and widespread.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You must be young. Because only someone young (or naive perhaps) would honestly believe what you do/have posted below.

Woz was largely divorced from Apple during Mac development. I don't think many people even understand Woz's role and tenure at Apple. It's small, and non-existent during the defining years.

He's role is well overstated by many. He was a founder and created the Apple I & II. Kudos, but how Apple is seen, and known really began with this...

Not so much this...

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Ah, and Steve Jobs never existed from day one. WOZ was all by his lonesome, eating up a storm of burgers no doubt. :rolleyes:

I never mentioned anything about Apple's "Recent Success". Gotta love how people re-word stuff to work the argument in their favor.

Says the guy who began his comment by implying I gave Steve Jobs no credit. Grow up mate. This isn't a pissing contest between the two Steves. I'm just stating Steve Wozniak's place in history. I don't think I even mentioned Jobs in my comment.

Anyway, here is your exact quote again:

Oh sorry, my bad—you said 'successful today', not 'recent success'. Gosh, you got me there.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Are you kidding me? The Apple II was EVERYWHERE back in the early-mid 80's. Every classroom in my elementary school had one. It's the one computer everyone associates with the earlier success of the company.

The original Macintosh, while ultimately a better indicator of the direction the industry was headed, wasn't nearly so well known and widespread.

Like I said, pop-culture has a short memory. I remember the Apple II well, having been my first exposure to personal computing. The Commodore 64 was my second. I remember seeing one online article try to rank the most important/influential personal computers of all time, and they put the Apple II as number one. (I can't find the article now.) I don't think I'd go that far, but it just shows—Woz's work has a lot of respect by many in the industry.

The Mac, to be fair, really set Apple apart for bringing the GUI and mouse to the masses, and in my mind was when Apple really did start defining its identity… but without the Apple II and its financial success, there would have been no funds to tinker with this brave new world. Someone else would have done it, and quite possibly none of us today would even know the name Steve Jobs.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

The Macintosh created modern computing. The Macintosh was Steve Jobs' baby.

The Apple II was prolific and important to the early PC years, but it didn't turn the computing world upside down like the Mac which introduced concepts that the average user regards as critical to their daily lives even today.

I learned BASIC on Apple II, but I have much fonder memories of the Commodore 64.

----------

The Mac, to be fair, really set Apple apart for bringing the GUI and mouse to the masses, and in my mind was when Apple really did start defining its identity… but without the Apple II and its financial success, there would have been no funds to tinker with this brave new world. Someone else would have done it, and quite possibly none of us today would even know the name Steve Jobs.

THX 1138 and American Graffiti provided the means for Star Wars to be made, but Star Wars is the film that changed cinema till the today, and defined George Lucas’ career.

The same relationship exists between the Apple II, the Macintosh and Steve Jobs.

The first endeavor is not always the most significant.

Last edited:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I learned BASIC on Apple II, but I have much fonder memories of the Commodore 64.

The Commodore 64 was a brilliant PC. It was the first computer I ever owned, and I spent way too many hours on it—including teaching myself BASIC. I still have a working one and my kids actually reckon its pretty cool too, having played some of its games. Not bad for a 30 year old computer!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
THX 1138 and American Graffiti provided the means for Star Wars to be made, but Star Wars is the film that changed cinema till the today, and defined George Lucas’ career.

The same relationship exists between the Apple II, the Macintosh and Steve Jobs.

The first endeavor is not always the most significant.

I tend to agree with you. It's not too bad an analogy, but we are talking about the very earliest era of personal computing, whereas film had been around for many years before Lucas came on the scene. Woz was doing some pioneering stuff technically, which when paired with Jobs' mind for business, proved to be a winning combination. Apple would not have happened without either one.

Don't get me wrong… I'm not one of these guys who posts a picture of Woz every time questions of Apple's leadership arise and thinks he should run for President. I just think it's unfair when people try to write him off as unimportant in Apple's history.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The Commodore 64 was a brilliant PC. It was the first computer I ever owned, and I spent way too many hours on it—including teaching myself BASIC. I still have a working one and my kids actually reckon its pretty cool too, having played some of its games. Not bad for a 30 year old computer!

What's amazing about the Commodore 64 is how common it made simple coding skills among the masses. And because of the low cost it wasn't just for middle class kids in the burbs. Even blue color Queens/Brooklyn kids like myself had access to one.

Then there was a certain movie that made everyone want their first PC...

wargames-05.jpg

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Oh, and if we look at George Lucas's more recent work (prequels and incessant tinkering with the originals), I think maybe we should avoid too many comparisons to Steve Jobs, whose track record only improved with age. ;)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I tend to agree with you. It's not too bad an analogy, but we are talking about the very earliest era of personal computing, whereas film had been around for many years before Lucas came on the scene. Woz was doing some pioneering stuff technically, which when paired with Jobs' mind for business, proved to be a winning combination. Apple would not have happened without either one.

Don't get me wrong… I'm not one of these guys who posts a picture of Woz every time questions of Apple's leadership arise and thinks he should run for President. I just think it's unfair when people try to write him off as unimportant in Apple's history.

I don't write Woz off, I just think Apple has a forked history where one prong is powered by Woz's engineering capabilities, and another prong where Apple is powered by the vsion of Steve Jobs.

Is Woz one of the most significant people in the history of the PC? Absolutely. However, Apple didn't find its stride and birth modern computing till 1984, when Woz was largely gone.

----------

Oh, and if we look at George Lucas's more recent work (prequels and incessant tinkering with the originals), I think maybe we should avoid too many comparisons to Steve Jobs, whose track record only improved with age. ;)

Don't me started. That's a thread on to itself.

Problem.png

Renzatic

Suspended
The Macintosh created modern computing. The Macintosh was Steve Jobs' baby.

The Apple II was prolific and important to the early PC years, but it didn't turn the computing world upside down like the Mac which introduced concepts that the average user regards as critical to their daily lives even today.

I'm not so sure about that. I can't deny that the Macintosh was an industry changing product, and the first of its kind, but it wasn't the machine that made the company a household name. Of any computer made by Apple, I'd say that honor most belongs to the IIe.

It was the computer everyone had. If you were to walk up to some random person on the street circa '92 or so, and say "Apple Computers", it'd be the one they'd most likely mention in response. It was the one machine that introduced the average family to the concept of an affordable personal computer, after all.

The Macintosh and the GUI began a sea change in the industry, but it was the Apple II that created the industry the Mac eventually changed.

I had an Atari 800XL.

...you know. To this day, I've always wondered if I would've been more interested in programming if I were able to complete the code for that one little game I saw in Compute! Magazine (or maybe it was Antic) back in the day. I was so disappointed I couldn't ever get that thing working.

To make up for it, I grabbed my first tablet and started to learn how to draw on my computer. Now it's the one thing I mostly use my PC for these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.