Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Woz is right.. If you had read his book as I did you also will think that's the only 100% accurate book of the origins of this great company. I collect all the books there is about Steve and Apple history and all of them point out that Steve was a good salesman at first. It is unbelievable that the movie ignore that common fact for the making of this movie.

But again, for all of us who know the real story with facts and experience and even others that once saw Pirates of SV on time in their lives... This is the time we trully will know how true is a movie with a "based on a true story" tag on a big screen.

I want Woz opinion on Pirates of Silicon Valley...

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
...you know. To this day, I've always wondered if I would've been more interested in programming if I were able to complete the code for that one little game I saw in Compute! Magazine (or maybe it was Antic) back in the day. I was so disappointed I couldn't ever get that thing working.

We used to buy those magazines and books with BASIC programs that you laboriously typed out. You could learn a bit from them too, for your own programming. I remember there were even text-based adventure games where they tried to obfuscate the plot by mixing things around. So finally you'd be playing this game you spent days typing…! You'd find the key to open the first door…!! And then…

?SYNTAX ERROR IN 560
READY.

Good times!

To make up for it, I grabbed my first tablet and started to learn how to draw on my computer. Now it's the one thing I mostly use my PC for these days.

Not many people know this, but you could actually get something for the C64 which allowed you to draw directly on the screen (TV). I ordered mine from the UK if memory serves me right. I think it was marketed as a 'light pen'. It plugged straight into the joystick port. No idea how on earth the thing worked, but it did work… most of the time at least—it had the occasional breakdown, where the pointer went zinging around wildly on the screen. I used to draw some nice art with that thing, all in glorious 4 bit colour!

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Aside from Woz's views on the movie. I have to say the trailer sucked in my opinion, I did not believe a word of it. I doubt It'll be better then Pirates of Silicone Valley was..

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
No way in hell I'm going to watch this movie...

Wasn't convinced Kutcher was ever going to pull off the role, and from that clip... I'm convinced. He can't. (And I can't get passed it being him, his voice, his look, etc)

And if they've gotten Woz saying it's all wrong/inaccurate... All the more reason not to bother.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
If this is what Ashton looks and acts like as a young Steve Jobs, just imagine how ridiculous him playing a 40-56 year old Jobs will be. I don't think the best make up in the world can prevent it from looking like Kelso cosplaying Steve Jobs.

jonhaxor

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Don't get me wrong .. I like the Woz - even met him a few times - but Woz post accident is nowhere near the same guy as Woz pre-accident .. it's a bit like watching a smart, technically talented Gary Busey .. he's all over the place.

That being said - it shouldn't take a genius to see that they're trying too hard, and that the term "Operating System" predates this conversation by at least 20-30 years .. I do appreciate Woz's comment though that the situation was more about creating a simple business model around a motherboard for the homebrew computer club folk .. but that's a lot less dramatic for hollywood to produce .. and that line about "how will people know what they want"? ugh, that's more of a design refinement and focus group problem that I don't think came out until after his NeXT failings in the 90s.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Aside from Woz's views on the movie. I have to say the trailer sucked in my opinion, I did not believe a word of it. I doubt It'll be better then Pirates of Silicone Valley was..
I didn't think Kutcher could act, and he proved it.
What a whiney voice.
As was famously said, "His emotions run the gamut from A to B."
This piece of dreck will only increase the interest in Sorkin's movie.
Thank God there will be a worthy treatment of a significant life instead of this should-have-been-made-for-TV thing.
Its horrible, regardless of its truthiness or lack of it.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
There is nothing wrong with a movie taking creative license with the story of Steve Jobs. The problem is that it is more or less presented as fact -- and helps to create a myth about his true initial motivations and the role of others in the creation of Apple.

It's worth remembering that there are parts of the story of Steve Jobs that are also essentially parts of the story of Woz. I'd suggest that Woz is perfectly entitled to have an opinion on those.

I'd also suggest that he's also entitled to have an opinion on the whole story of Jobs too, at least as much as the rest of us. After all, I'd suggest he knew Jobs better than the average MacRumors poster.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
It's a movie fer christ's sake.

As fun as it is to listen to Woz...hasn't been relevant for what, 20 years now?

He's just as relevant today as he was in the 80's

And exactly where was your boy WOZ when the company almost folded? So by your words, without WOZ there wouldn't have been a dying company called Apple Computer.
Where was WOZ when the company got back on it's feet and became the success it is today? WOZ had ZERO to do with Apple's success today, ZERO.

Your name calling is just unnecessary and rude.

I found it completely necessary and not rude at all.

Oh please, if WOZ was the better of two Steve's then why didn't he build his own company as big as Apple.....LIKE JOBS DID? Better still, why didn't Apple get WOZ back on board to rebuild the company.....AS THEY ASKED JOBS?

Truth is, WOZ is nothing more than an icon from yesteryear and deserves zero credit for why Apple is successful today.

Because was wasn't/isn't interested in being rich nor famous. Not everyone want's to be those things ya know

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Those of you complaining about this film - I wonder how you felt about

Argo
The Social Network
The King's Speech
Dolphin Tale
Moneyball
The Blindside
Big Miracle

...and so on...

Just wait till the movie is out and the countless posts on macrumors by know it alls who have seen the movie and suddenly have become experts on Jobs/apple and you should ask yourself the same question.

Mis information can be very dangerous ;) and we have our share of fanatical followers on here who frankly are to lazy to do the research, but a movie is easy enough to digest.

----------

Oh please, if WOZ was the better of two Steve's then why didn't he build his own company as big as Apple.....LIKE JOBS DID? Better still, why didn't Apple get WOZ back on board to rebuild the company.....AS THEY ASKED JOBS?

Truth is, WOZ is nothing more than an icon from yesteryear and deserves zero credit for why Apple is successful today.

Lol. Minor issue being there would be no apple without woz.... So take woz out and you have no present day successful apple.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
After watching this, I knew they blew it. Having read Hackers, The Journey is the Reward, Fire in the Valley, and countless others, this conversation is just not right.

So far, The Pirates of Silicon Valley is pretty close - which was based on Fire in the Valley.

Also, Ashton just doesn't cut it. It's like watching Kelso trying to be Jobs.

Noah Wylie did a great job.

-P

Very true, I could not have said it better myself. They blew it big time with this movie. Noah Wyle though not perfect was way way better at this role in his movie.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't care if the film is accurate, I just want it to be entertaining.

Example: "The Social Network"

From that quick clip, it's hard to make any real conclusions other than Woz looks ridiculous.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that Woz is "attached to" the Sony/Sorkin/Isaacson project.

B

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
As fun as it is to listen to Woz...hasn't been relevant for what, 20 years now?

Sure. Thing is, the movie's partly about him. And is the movie irrelevant because the action takes place what, 30 years ago?

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
It does not matter what everyone here are saying right now. Because when the movie comes out all of you are going to check it out!!!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Lol. Minor issue being there would be no apple without woz.... So take woz out and you have no present day successful apple.

That's ridiculous. No WOZ, no Apple? Yeah. Funny how nobody gives him credit for allowing the company to go belly-up. I didn't see him fighting to help get keep the company from faltering. Gotta love this place, it's always JOBS' fault in regards to everything. It's even JOBS' fault that he brought the company back to profitability. All people do is tear him apart calling him Hitler. Oh but let's not say one unkind thing about poor WOZ. According to some of the "humans" here, he's the only reason why Apple exists. :rolleyes: I would've loved to read all of the hate towards JOBS if he had shamelessly plugged a book that he wrote during an interview. I'm not saying he wrote a book so please don't come back with your unnecessary responses.

----------

It does not matter what everyone here are saying right now. Because when the movie comes out all of you are going to check it out!!!

You will, but don't speak for everyone else here. I'm not wasting my time or money watching this movie.

Renzatic

Suspended
All people do is tear him apart calling him Hitler.

That was just one guy way over in another thread, and he was kinda weird to begin with, so...

According to some of the "humans" here, he's the only reason why Apple exists. :rolleyes:

Actually, he kinda is. What with him founding the company and creating it's first product and all. At the time, Jobs was more Apple's official spokesperson and evangelist. Also he did the occasional soldering job on the Apple I's.

As for the rest. The supposed "Steve Jobs Hate", the "Woz Love-In", and all the other crap you're rallying against? Wuh...wuh...what brought this on? I don't think anyone has gone on a smear campaign against the guy yet in this thread, they're just giving credit where credit is due. Jobs eventually led the company to it's present standing, but Woz is the one who got the ball rolling in the first place. You can't deny that. It's recorded history.

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
People need to realize that a movie like this is a representation of what happened and NOT actually what happened. Throw in creative license for entertainment purposes and you have a movie that will probably be pretty good.

Woz needs to get that through his head before he starts shooting his mouth off.

No Woz is absolutely correct. The movie makers are too lazy to read the material. Some creative license is expected, but when there is a book that describes the timing, and one of the people involved in the conversations is available, the least someone can do, unless your still in the 6th grade, is to confirm stuff with the original participants.

Yeh, facts are so boring. Much more fun just to make ***** up.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Poor Wozniak, he wants to bee like Steve Jobs soo bad, jajajaj, he is worried because he looks fat and ugly in the movie.

yea, that's why he was ya know a teacher, and general tech geek and speaker afterword cause he wanted to be just like Jobs..

kdarling

macrumors P6
That's ridiculous. No WOZ, no Apple?

What's ridiculous about it? Wozniak designed the first two products; Jobs sold them.

Without Wozniak, Jobs would've had no circuit boards to sell, and there'd be no Apple Computer to start with.

After that, Wozniak designed the Apple II internals (and Jobs contracted out the case design), which was what really launched Apple and made them both millionaires. That led to everything else.

The same goes for Jobs, of course. Without him, Wozniak would never have sold his hobby boards.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
People need to realize that a movie like this is a representation of what happened and NOT actually what happened. Throw in creative license for entertainment purposes and you have a movie that will probably be pretty good.

Woz needs to get that through his head before he starts shooting his mouth off.

what happened? you mean assassinating another person's character?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.