Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Ick! Wouldn't touch it.

Isn't that the point though... If they made them look as good as the premium iPhones a lot less people would buy those. These are meant for people who simply want a cheap phone.

My quick mockup was just based on this wild speculation and the real thing will probably be totally different... if it exists at all.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Some plastic aren't cheap people. I reckon that many plastics are more expensive than aluminum.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Some plastic aren't cheap people. I reckon that many plastics are more expensive than aluminum.

Yeah they don't necessarily have to use plastic to make it cheap. Think how little an iPod shuffle costs Apple to make and they use quite a bit of aluminium in that design.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
What a horrible business decision. Looks like Tim Cook has no damn clue and is just trying to appeal to shareholders. Making cheap plastic crap is something I didn't expect Apple to to, ever. Like other people mentioned, there are the 4/4s if people want low cost. This plastic one is so unnecessary.

I am glad I don't hold Apple stock.

On a somewhat unrelated note, IOS7 better deliver or I think it's time to leave Apple.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Waste of time

Never mind ****ing about with a low cost phone, Apple need to get their act together on a decent high end model ... and might I suggest before I plonk down my money on a new Galaxy S4 (because the iPhone 5 is just too boring and low a spec compared to new competitor models!)

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Here is my mockup with the iPod Classic for comparison. Isn't the iPod Classic Aluminium and not plastic anyway?

Attachments

• iPhone_mockup.jpg
    iPhone_mockup.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 74

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
If the lowcost iPhone 5s looks like this
iPodTouch5thGenerationBlack.png

thats a great design and looks fabulous. Its faceplate is of course flat as well as backplate (thats in original message). All iPhones are covered by glass fully too. I wonder if it can be called a durable iPhone (with strong plastic, thats it). It reminds my iPhone 3GS which has been a great phone.
As for this baby, I can tell you that most folks will put on case anyway, so you can't even see if its 5 or 5s low cost or whatever. And imagine 5 colors available, that will be huge hit with youngsters and women (some like silver, blue or even pink!)
----------

What a horrible business decision. Looks like Tim Cook has no damn clue and is just trying to appeal to shareholders. Making cheap plastic crap is something I didn't expect Apple to to, ever. Like other people mentioned, there are the 4/4s if people want low cost. This plastic one is so unnecessary.

On a somewhat unrelated note, IOS7 better deliver or I think it's time to leave Apple.

4/4s are outdated in terms of connector. For a budget solution you don't need expensive glass either, prefer more durable stronger plastic. Also, 4S is a sort of premium phone and not cheap. Its camera alone is as good as any modern PS camera and probably not cheap either.

Last edited:

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
I know some of you don't want to hear it, but a budget iPhone is coming. Why? Because there are customers who'll buy a budget iPhone and use it with a prepaid plan. Apple is currently selling their phones with a very high margin. Those that can afford it at this price are already customers. They need new customers. And they can get these customers by selling at a lower margin. It's Econ 101.

Sellewiet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
People don't seem to understand what low cost means. It doesn't mean low selling price, but low production price. The 4/4S are still fairly expensive to make in comparison to this new lowcost model. Apple wants to protect their profit margins, they can't raise their price much more, so they have to lower their costs.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I doubt this will happen, but if it does and has a retina display, if it's not going to disrupt 4/4S sales it'll have to be a lot cheaper - resulting in really dated internals.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Am i the only one who thinks this is a waste of time? Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?

NO it isn't.

Problem is "perception". people who want a low cost iphone want a new low cost iPhone not a 2 year old (2 generations) ago iPhone. ALso, apple would have to keep making the iphone 4 / 4s with the expensive parts as opposed to making a cheap plastic one with lower cost parts. Even if they just cut out the glass back and metal band, they could save money on each phone.

beemer226

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
People don't seem to understand what low cost means. It doesn't mean low selling price, but low production price. The 4/4S are still fairly expensive to make in comparison to this new lowcost model. Apple wants to protect their profit margins, they can't raise their price much more, so they have to lower their costs.

It's about the screen, they are creating a low cost option with the up to date screen size

lantinian

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Varna, Bulgaria
I don't understand this low cost thing. Isn't that what selling the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S is for???

The iPhone 4/4S are actually difficult to manufacture and I believe Apple has had enough of them returned within warranty with broken glass.:(

Apple wants to have a new model with the iPhone 5 ruggedness, iPhone 4S guts , iPhone 4 cost and iPhone 3GS ease of production. ;)

ganjardenis

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
If the problem is the screen size, durability, and connector, i personally think that launching the iPhone 5S will make the iPhone 5 the replacement of 4/4S as the new cheap iPhone = durable, 4" screen, and lightning connector + keeping the luxurious form factor.

waltand07

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
The time has come for Apple to shake things up majorly. They have always claimed to build devices that exude quality not quantity. This might be partially true but we all know Apple wants to expand its market share greatly. A conservative company will not do well in the future. I think Apple should start to license iOS. Imagine the possibilities and impact this could have. Samsung can probably make a killer iOS phone. This may all be a dream, but it would be nice.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Agreed. Not sure why this would be a good idea.

This phone will NOT be available in the US to begin with (or at least not supposed to...) or other countries where regular iphone is successful

This low cost story should lead to a 200 usd price, twice as less as cheapest iphone available at the moment. Do not forget that telcos subsidies are not standard rule for every country, also subsidies will go down to zero with time as low cost carriers are coming and spreading like wildfire...

I can imagine this one will end up in the US sooner or later:
If you have a 199 usd budget and no replacement program available, will you go for low cost iphone or will you cash out 800 usd for regular one?

patchfp86

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Meh...

This is very anti-Apple. A cheap phone is not Apple's MO. Apple is about providing the best possible user experience to their customers, regardless of cost. We have seen this time and time again. I'm not saying that it will never happen, but I am definitely a skeptic when it comes to Apple releasing products that Tim couldn't say, "Now isn't that beautiful?" Just my opinion!

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
The low cost iPhone...

I believe there will be a low cost iPhone anytime soon but not this stupid rumor. Couple months from now the iPhone 5 will be $99, the cheaper iPhone in the market when iPhone 5s comes out. Then when iPhone 6 comes out the iPhone 5 will be the free iPhone with 2 year contract. Does anybody around here wants their iPhone looks identical to the cheaper iPhone with the case on it? I might as well get the cheap plastic version and put a case on it since everything else are the same. Or maybe the iPhone 5s (16GB) price will go down to $150 and the iPhone 5 will be $50 with contract. The rest will be $199(32GB) $299(64GB) $399(128GB) that 128GB iPad or iPhone is badly needed for serious users.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.

Okay but, the iPhone 3G and 3GS....

I don't see what the big deal is.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Traditionally Apple values thin, light, and small. Even if rather gimmicky, the mere presence of an Apple logo will insure these appeal to women & children.

Sad to see Apple spend their time on a trinket like this, but one never knows what the Cupertino Company is thinking.

One things for certain. Between all the pro Apple press & writers on the blogosphere, their will be plenty of demand no matter what these turn out like.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I don't know why this is so upsetting to people...Apple has "Pro" and "Mini" models of other products that are distinctly different from their corresponding counterpart, yet in the same category...why not have a "Pro" model of the iPhone to fill the same function?

That's basically what offering a low-cost iPhone would do. It would make the current iPhone a "Pro" model.

intopieces

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
This has been mentioned once in this thread but needs to be mentioned again, I think: The low-cost iPhone is NOT for the United States. It's for emerging markets, where smart phone penetration is very low. Think Africa. Think S.E. Asia. It's possible to make a lot of money only selling a few products but ultimately, even Apple is subject to market saturation.

Here's a segment than ran on NPR that might help explain what I mean.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...ing-world-goes-mobile-can-apple-make-the-sale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.