Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
They're going to have to go with a new resolution if they're going for a 5inch phone. 264ppi is getting into budget territory now, given the amount of 1080p phones that are arriving it'll be positively archaic by the time this new iPhone arrives. Also, aspect ratio needs to change.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
The Galaxy GS3 sales prove that people don't like this method.

I bought a 46" TV because I don't want to have to be close to it to use it. And guess what: it still fits in my TV stand!

And how often does your TV move from that stand? That logic doesn't apply to phones. Some people want a huge screen; others prefer a phone with a smaller screen size. IMO, 5 inches is a ridiculously large screen, and the mock-up only supports this.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
In a world where manufacturers are coming out with 468ppi devices, a regression from retina displays would be incredibly stupid.

Except that 468ppi is pointless. If to my eye the screen looks perfect and I don't see any pixels, why do I care? I would prefer that stick with logical PPI and give me an awesome screen then try and be the everyone else.

It's the spec race all over, I would much rather have a lower Megapixel camera that takes good pics then a high Megapixel camera that takes alright pics.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I don't understand this claim about not being able to increase the resolution of the iPhone proportionally without causing problems.

Surely all that would be required would be for developers to run their existing apps at a slightly higher resolution would be to simply click "rebuild" in Xcode (with perhaps some tidying up of code/App layout) to make their Apps capable of running at the new, higher resolution. I also fail to see how a graphically powerful new iPhone with a higher proportional screen resolution could not smoothly scale apps that have not been rebuilt for that new resolution yet (if that's the worst case of Apple fragmentation possible in this scenario, then it's not a big deal).

I think it's perfectly possible to have a larger-screened iPhone 6/iPhone Plus without lowering the pixel density. Surely it isn't an enormous technical challenge. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple were to do this.

Also this MR article leaves out one thing: a larger-screened iPhone would undoubtedly be thinner.

Last edited:

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
One of the reasons I gave up my iPhone 5 was that after months of its release apps still weren't updated to fit the 4" screen.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Oh man. Just go to a cell service provider and use one of the ones on display for a few minutes.

This could be a great trick to play on someone. Tell them you are giving them a free iphone 5.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Except that 468ppi is pointless. If to my eye the screen looks perfect and I don't see any pixels, why do I care? I would prefer that stick with logical PPI and give me an awesome screen then try and be the everyone else.

It's the spec race all over, I would much rather have a lower Megapixel camera that takes good pics then a high Megapixel camera that takes alright pics.

I agree that 468ppi is pointless. However, it would be incredibly stupid to release a phone with anything less than a retina display.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
A bigger phone isn't the answer. Fortunately, Apple understands this. The blogosphere/twitterscape/technocrati seem to think a giant phone is better, but again think about the target user and his or her experience. The real people (let's call them the 95%ers) who pay for these phones want it to fit in a pocket and use with one hand. 95% of 300 million people is a whole lot more than 5% of 300 million.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks Macrumors, but PLEASE HELP !!!!

I just spent the last hour cutting this out with a craft knife and gluing it all together very carefully and precisely...

----

But there is something seriously wrong here...

No matter what I do the phone seems to be stuck on the home screen and I can't make a call ????? I wonder is it 'jailbroken' ?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
At this point, the size is only half the equation. iOS is getting more and more dated by the day.

Without a major iOS overhaul, I don't think they are going to capture any new marketshare.

stock it is. jailbroken it is beautiful

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
It would be a mistake to launch a cheap Iphone and same for one that's too large.

Even Ipad mini should never have been launched in my opinion.

The problem is the people in charge of Apple would rather copy rivals now rather than focus on what makes Apple products good. Apple always had features missing from Samsung phones or smaller screens and it never affected sales before.

There's a recognition now that phones are becoming too big. Sooner or later Samsung will release a flop..I hear the S4 will be about 5" which is strange given most think the current model is too big hence the Mini galaxy model.

So a wildly popular product should have never been launched?

Makes perfect sense!

----------

I agree that 468ppi is pointless. However, it would be incredibly stupid to release a phone with anything less than a retina display.

Especially when the competition is releasing 1080p and the best you can offer is 640p.

These things will be found in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart if they are released with such inferior displays. No way will apple move backwards with phone display tech.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I have to much time on my hands today apparently. I could get used to this size screen.

I am still looking for something that can gives is that Apple "wow" factor with the next iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Did they keep the top and bottom bezel the same size as iPhone 5?

Also, did they decrease the side bezels?, we know the new screen tech has improved edges, only requiring 0.5mm past the screen edge.

Aug 26, 2008
We conducted similar usability tests a couple of years ago and found that usability suffered dramatically for most users and the majority said they preferred a smaller screen. However, these users were asked to operate the phone with one hand so they became aware of the benefits and liabilities of a larger display.

I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that the average consumer would be wowed by the larger screen, cos it does look impressive in a lineup and consumers rarely take one handed operation into consideration at the point of sale. It's only when they need to operate it with a cup of coffee in one hand that they realize that the larger screen can actually be a major liability.

This is baloney, my 4.7 inch Nexus 4 is a breeze to use with one hand, texting is EASIER than on my iPhone 5. Place an iPhone 4 on top of a larger phone and you'll see the size difference is actually very small. The best large android phones are well designed with small bezels, and easily fit into your pocket.

All of these lies about larger phones from Apple diehards (not regular fans, just the unreasonable ones) are crazy, and are simply ways to try and convince themselves the 4 inch size is perfect.

P.S. Remember how for YEARS 4 inches was "too big"? :rolleyes:

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
5.5 inches etc stuff like that is getting ridiculous, I still want to have a phone call without people thinking I am using the dinner tray :)

greg78x

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
So Cal
I printed one out on thick photo paper to try out. I just think it is too big. I bet I use my iPhone 4s 90% of the time with one hand. The commercials are right.

The thing is, whomever created this mock up scaled the entire phone instead of just the screen - so with everything larger (top and bottom bezels, buttons), of course it will feel too big to hold.

A larger screen would have to be compensated by reducing the top and bottom bezels, as was done when evolving the design from the 4S to the 5.

But you still may be right - even after a proper redesign, it may still feel clunky! Depends on how big one's hands are, I guess...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.