Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smoothies

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
Guess that's why there's little plastic window on the wifi iPad.. Oh, wait, there isn't...
Ohhhh okay they put the black plastic cutout on the iPod touch for no reason. I forgot. The only reason it can be done on that is due to the larger device and bezel.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Looks like my old Galaxy S3.....

Why would it already be FCC stamped as a prototype? Surely they don't need a license to test in a laboratory...

TimeKillers

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
I believe this is a legitimate mockup. Looks like apples direction. With respect to phone size I don't think the phone itself will be larger. I modified an image of the iPhone 5s. When I expand the size of the screen to the edges of the phone, it looks strikingly similar to the photos in this article.

A00000000.jpg

mbrannon47

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Speculation...

I want it to be true. I really do. But unless Apple is taking a few steps back in their typefaces, this isn't real.

Attachments

• prototypem.jpg
    prototypem.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 11,267

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I really hope these prove to be real. I have been suspecting since the iPad Air release that the iPhone has to follow suit and take the same shape/form as the iPads. It will be interesting to see how they handle the antenna, but the device pictured is what I have been hoping for!

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Exactly. They will still have their slight differences in design, but there is only so far you can go with it, simple as that. People that have any intellect know this.

Yeah there's going to be a fun wave of patent-lawsuits coming. Once you're down to let's say a 5mm device, we're talking about screen plus a few mm of metal or plastic. Design patents will be interesting.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
You do realise the Iphone 5 was probably being tested when Iphone 4 was still the main Iphone just before they announced the 4S? Everybody expected a larger screen and it came one year later.

This design has probably been in the works for quite some time. :rolleyes:

----------

Says iphone on the back. Has the LED flash from 5S it's defo an Iphone.

Yes, I do realise that. My thinking is that the back panel looks real and I buy that but the front one seems too generic and more like a mockup based on rumours.
But if its real and leaks happen now more and more then perhaps we will see it in june as some rumors suggested. I would personally love the summer schedule again :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I really hope these prove to be real. I have been suspecting since the iPad Air release that the iPhone has to follow suit and take the same shape/form as the iPads. It will be interesting to see how they handle the antenna, but the device pictured is what I have been hoping for!

No doubt. These pictures, real or not, look amazing. Definitely want.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I hope that's an ipod touch. The iphone should to have a distinctive body, not a miniaturized ipad body. It should be a break from consistency because it has a higher value, both monetarily and emotionally. But something tells me Ive's would shoot for consistency. I would like to see modern art, not modern appliance.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Looks pretty nice

cant wait until apple introduces a new headphone jack because the current one is too thick for its design. Naturally they would also offer a 20$ adapter so you can still connect your old headphones

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
I want it to be true. I really do. But unless Apple is taking a few steps back in their typefaces, this isn't real.
like Arn said - awesome analysis. i think they're fake too, but the artist is on to something - I really think thats how the 6 will look.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Front reminds me a lot of the SGS3. No, not saying this is a copy of that. But at first glance, the resemblance is uncanny. Probably has to do with the out of character (for apple) top and bottom bezel size. Those have been virtually consistent since the original iphone.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I asked Federico Ciccarese to do some more precise measurements.

He gets the same width as the iPhone 5S, but slightly taller and a 4.7" screen

iphone-6-47.jpg

iPhone 5S overlayed. iPhone 5S dimensions (mm) in red. iPhone 6 dimensions in blue.
iPhone 6 Dimensions: 2.3" x 5.1" with 4.7" Diagonal Screen

Smoothies

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
The back is likely liquid metal if this is real, because it is the only rational explanation for there being a seamless metal casing. No, they wouldn't put antenna in the Apple logo, they haven't thus far, and they wouldn't start now.

Here is some old info on liquid metal soon after Apple licensed it I believe.

"First order of business is an iPhone case that incorporates a new antenna. The alloy case could be structural as well as functional. In other words, a Liquidmetal case could also function as a big antenna. And because different mixtures of metal can produce alloys with different characteristics, Apple could blend an alloy that is optimized for receiving radio signals.

“You can build casings with functional characteristics, and the alloy’s properties as an antenna can be optimized,” Peker said.

Apple could also make cases with very complex and unusual shapes, Peker added. The cases would be literally seamless."

Link: http://www.cultofmac.com/54827/liquidmetal-inventor-exotic-alloy-may-make-new-iphone-antenna-exclusive/

If this is liquid metal and they are going to use sapphire, with the addition of the extremely reduced bezel, and the what appears to be substantial thinning of the device, it is extremely innovative and amazing.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Wow... I'll take one please! 64gb, white and silver, 5.5 inch....

It's embarrassing for Apple if this is the new iPhone set to be launched in sept. It leaked 7 months early! Someone in security will prob get canned for this.

Here's to hoping for a July launch... :)

I've been saying this since the iPhone 5C was officially announced, Apple is going to go back to a June release date for the nicer iPhone (the non-C) and will release the iPhone C version in October/November with similar specs of the one released before it. Example:

June 2014 - iPhone (6, Air, whatever) released with A8 chip, 2gb ram, etc. and new design

November 2014 - iPhone C released with A8 chip, 2gb ram, etc. but no new design. The design will change every other year, opposite of the other iPhone model.

This would give apple the ability to offer a new phone twice a year and a new design every year. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.