Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisims12

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
I doubt and expect this design at the same time. It seems like all of Apple's hand-held devices have taken on the iPad Mini look. I don't think I would like the design of an iPad Mini on an iPhone, even though the iPod Touch has a very similar design I would be okay with that design for the iPhone. I would however not like it. Apple has top notch design for their computers and especially iPhones. You cannot get the build quality or design any where else and that is what I have always respected and loved about Apple most. Because Apple has such a great design I would really doubt that they would change it. But Apple also had a great design in iOS 6 (granted I love the design in iOS 7 and would not go back for any amount of money) but they changed it completely with iOS 7. This makes me expect them to give the iPhone a complete make over. One last thing to say, by the looks of this photo they are making it taller. For the 4 inch screen this was acceptable. But when you are going up by almost an inch, You don't get taller or wider. You do both, not just one of them. They have some serious design issues in my mind if they make it 4.7 inches by expanding vertically.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
What exactly is making everyone salivate over a larger iPhone? It means pretty much nothing unless the OS takes advantage of it. It's till a grid of icons and too small to run anything close to an iPad caliber app.

Will it be nice? Yes. But it's hilarious how little of a deal this is in real life usage and even more funny how many idiots are threatening to jump ship if apple doesn't make a larger phone. I say go ahead and enjoy your Android phone that's a slow piece of junk in a few months that won't get any more updates.

They made iOS 7 scalable for a reason. Everything will just be larger and/or spread apart more.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
I want it to be true. I really do. But unless Apple is taking a few steps back in their typefaces, this isn't real.

Did you think that apple could be using different type faces for prototypes so they can find leaks?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Did you think that apple could be using different type faces for prototypes so they can find leaks?

yes, i def think that is possible. I would do that. someone mentioned that about the placement of the apple logo.

Smoothies

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
The silver shell looks legit but the completely assembled gold one looks fake. Doesn't it seem odd that there are 4-5 photos of a silver shell and then one completely assembled gold one lying on top? Plus the gold ring around the home button looked raised which is not how the button is on the 5S. But the biggest reason I think the gold one is fake as I don't think Apple will do asymmetrical bezels. One, because their design ethos seem to prefer symmetry, two, because it looks just like some of the concept renders we've seen and third it would look too much like a Galaxy S3/4 design. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to photoshop a render in there.

It could have to be raised because of how thin it is. Also, it doesn't look like a galaxy phone, it looks like an Apple device, specifically an iPod touch with greatly reduced bezels, larger display, and sim slot. Just because the front camera, mic, and auto brightness sensor are in line, and the bezels are reduced as much as possible doesn't at all make it like a galaxy phone. Those are simply things that must happen if it is to greatly increase display size but not physical device size...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It could have to be raised because of how thin it is. Also, it doesn't look like a galaxy phone, it looks like an Apple device, specifically an iPod touch with greatly reduced bezels, larger display, and sim slot. Just because the front camera, mic, and auto brightness sensor are in line, and the bezels are reduced as much as possible doesn't at all make it like a galaxy phone. Those are simply things that must happen if it is to greatly increase display size but not physical device size...

The reason people are saying it looks like a Galaxy phone is because of the asymmetrical bezels. I would be very surprised if Apple does that. Really the gold one looks fake to me because it looks out of place. Why are there shots of a silver housing but then a completely assembled gold one....and one that just happens to look like concept renders? Seems suspicious to me.

Last edited:

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
can everyone please stop calling it an iPod touch, it says iPhone across the back of it.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
The asymmetrical design makes it look like Samsung phones. I don't like it. Everything else is cool, esp. if it's the same polished black as the Mac Pro.

I hope they found a way to hide the antenna inside the bezel or something.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I'm sure it's been brought up but where would the cellular antenna be on there? It looks like the entire thing is metal, which I believe would be impossible, unless I mistaken.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Must be a new ipod.

Why?

Because the back doesnt have the 2 plastic bars like the 5 and 5S for the antennaes.

However since the look of the ipods usually match the iphone, maybe we can get an idea.
Aren't those antennaes glass? And they could just put it in the front part where the screen is but not on the screen I know they did this for the 4th gen iPod touch. But I don't want them to do that I like the antennaes being on the back. And an iPod won't have a ear speaker that's for phone calls.

Smoothies

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
I'm sure it's been brought up but where would the cellular antenna be on there? It looks like the entire thing is metal, which I believe would be impossible, unless I mistaken.

Liquidmetal, see here:
http://www.cultofmac.com/54827/liquidmetal-inventor-exotic-alloy-may-make-new-iphone-antenna-exclusive/

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Remember these from last year? It's easy to do renders that look legit.

gold_ipad_mini_2_touch_id.jpg

113.png

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Why couldn't they just insert plastic where it needs to be mold over it and paint it all the same color making it look like one big aluminum piece? Making for one clean looking back.

Paint? On an Apple product?

Smoothies

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
The reason people are saying it looks like a Galaxy phone is because of the asymmetrical bezels. I would be very surprised if Apple does that. Really the gold one looks fake to me because it looks out of place. Why are there shots of a silver housing but then a completely assembled gold one....and one that just happens to look like concept renders? Seems suspicious to me.
Trust me I am the first to say I don't think Apple would ever do asymmetrical, but honestly it is the only way to maximally increase display size while least affecting the physical device size. I see it as being a possibility, that is all.

Scorpion008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
DO YOU PEOPLE WANT REDUCED BEZELS OR WASTED SPACE FOR THE SAKE OF SYMMETRICALLY! Everything samsung does isn't obviously stupid and a mistake. Let's face it, it isn't impossible that they did something right, once, before Apple did. Also, I am very large fan of Apple products, before you call me a fandroid. I really like this concept, but honestly, I with the home button was gone, and the fingerprint sensor was either under the screen or on a panel the size of the new top panel. We need zephyr like actions for multitasking built into the OS.

Scorpion008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
Trust me I am the first to say I don't think Apple would ever do asymmetrical, but honestly it is the only way to maximally increase display size while least affecting the physical device size. I see it as being a possibility, that is all.

The voice of reason.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008

No it's not. The top can be extended to match the bottom length and a bigger battery can take up the extra space.

Scorpion008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
No it's not. The top can be extended to match the bottom length and a bigger battery could take up the extra space.

Then the screen wouldn't take up the max real estate and we wouldn't get the trade off of the larger screen vs. less one-handedness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.