Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Yep, that's it. That's the phone I want. A little bigger and slim as possible with the finger print scanner. Thankfully returning to some of the ergonomic choices made in the original 3 generations of iPhone. Never liked the form factor of the 4 and later.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
like many people on this forum I am getting that this phone is the same size as the current iPhones while including a bigger screen 4.7 inches by my calculations... I hope this is the real deal... would be nice to have a bigger screen in a small body. maybe those who are getting a bigger dimension off of this are right as well, could be both the 4.7 inch and 5.5 shells.

I think your measurements are off. You are comparing the Lightning port which is much closer to the camera to a portion of the case which is further away. You have to extend the edges out to the same plane of the lightning port to get the actual width dimensions.

arn

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
antennagate 2.0 lol

i like the harsh lines of my 5S. idk how i feel about rounded. although i like my iPad, and i'll buy it anyway i guess

Curved edges make the phone much confortable to hold. The only issue is that it can stand on it's sides or bottom.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Those shiny beveled edges look remarkably consistent with another "fake" rumored product:

51117653.jpg

BgTASn4CcAEID0L.jpg-large.jpg

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Probably just me, but the top and bottom bezels being different sizes is extremely bothersome. But then again, I said the same thing about iOS7 and now I love it

That's one thing that gives me a pause wondering whether it's legit. The asymmetric top bezel looks odd.

On the other hand, there was this prediction a few years ago with the almost identical looking bezel. This was supposed to be based on a lost Foxconn prototype. Thus it could very well be the result of those experiments.

iPhone5_sketch_timn_verge_medium_landscape.png

oh hello samsung galaxy s4. nice to see you with an apple logo and an aluminium back..

seriously since when did apple make anything that looks almost exactly like its competitors' design?

The alleged prototype with the similar top bezel shown above was leaked in 2011, well before the Galaxy S4. I think just a natural progression of reducing bezel from the original iPhone design. The LG G2 looks pretty similar to this also as with the Moto X top bezel to a lesser extent.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
That's one thing that gives me a pause wondering whether it's legit. The asymmetric top bezel looks odd.

On the other hand, there was this prediction a few years ago with the almost identical looking bezel. This was supposed to be based on a lost Foxconn prototype. Thus it could very well be the result of those experiments.

The alleged prototype with the similar top bezel shown above was leaked in 2011, well before the Galaxy S4. I think just a natural progression of reducing bezel from the original iPhone design.

We had renderings of the design (which we believe were really prototyped)

iphone5-4-500x375.jpg

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/this-could-be-what-apples-iphone-5-looks-like/

This looks like it could be an evolution of that design.

arn

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I would usually agree BUT:

1) The iPhone 5 leaks were said to be fake because of the two tone design and the camera not being balanced in the top glass window. People said Apple/Ive would never design that.

2) Sonny Dickson has a perfect track record. Last year he leaked ALL iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s shells, iPad Mini and iPad Air shells.

Yup you're absolutely right about the iPhone 5 design. I had a hard time believing Apple would go two-tone with the camera lens positioned that way.

4Apples

macrumors member
May 21, 2013
Let the photos begin! lol

If the prototype is real (and not a controlled leak) I would would say it is the iphone and not the ipod touch.. It has a sims card slot and it says iPhone on the shell lol! I'm not too crazy about the design thou, specially having the front top and bottom edge a different size.. makes it look like the Samsung! I also which it had more of the iphone 3GS curve instead of the 5C bulky curve. Basically it looks like a smaller iPad mini, no innovation in design.

Last edited:

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I hate how the bottom bezel is so much bigger than the top. Reminds me of the Nexus 5 (which I currently have) and LG G2. The asymmetrical bezels make landscape typing feel off.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
If I had to guess, I'd say this is real. Every year around this time we get leaked parts and every year they are accurate. Looks good.

No way, the iPhone 5 didn't leak until June 2012. The iPhone 5S didn't look much earlier either.
We had renderings of the design (which we believe were really prototyped)

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/this-could-be-what-apples-iphone-5-looks-like/

arn
I remember that. Instead, we got the 4S. But the rumors for a design similar to that were so strong that I highly doubt they were all made up. I believe the alleged 'unibody aluminum iPhone' made its debut disguised as an iPod touch a year later.

MexicanElevator

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
Looks alright, truthfully I'm getting bored with Apple mobile products, I want something brand new and innovative. I was excited for the iPhone 5, unimpressed with the 5S and truthfully not looking forward to an larger screen iPhone. My rule is if I can reach the top and bottom corner with one thumb without loosing grip on the phone I might as well have a tablet. Something like the S3 and beyond is too big for my liking, Apple would have to weave some crazy magic to tickle my "irrational purchase" bone.

OH NO! What ever will Apple do if they don't satisfy you specifically?

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
Pictures look real.

Though I'm hoping they are fake, I think the iphone 5 / 5s have a better look.

While it looks functional and thinner, it's missing something. It's just not sexy.

Last edited:

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

Indeed and the consistent thing about that prototype design and this one is the lack of obvious antenna spots in the exterior. I wonder what they've done to solve that problem.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Wifi can't deal with aluminum. You may want to look at the back of an iPod Touch. It has a small black plastic cutout, take a guess as to why that's there.

Guess that's why there's little plastic window on the wifi iPad.. Oh, wait, there isn't...

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Can't say i like the design but like everyone else I will move on anyway without question because of the reality distortion field.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
That looks pretty thin. More like an iPod Touch than an iPhone. That being said it's a nice looking design, not too different but nice and sleek.

We will see if it's legit soon enough.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
The 4.7 inch will most likely be the same size the current iphone is now. No bezel smaller top and bottom where the touch ID is and the top where the microphone is and earpiece. This is what I am hearing through the supply chain. No word on the bigger iphone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.